• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lawrencepeckham

IMOCA 60 Trim Tabs

do you mean the interceptor (short straight edge at the back of the boat lowered adn raised to change for/aft trim?)? Only gamesa has an interceptor, these are now banned for new boats but was grandfathered on Gamesa (and aviva). I am not aware of any boats having trim tabs on the keel (and I am not sure I would see the point of one).

52552FADE79C21DE80257280000470B4_topl_1.jpg

Saw this a few months ago but there doesn't seem to be anyevidence of it in any recent photos. I havn't seen the Gamesa one.

PS. My favourite saying has always been 'It never got weird enough for me!' - Hunter S. Thompson

Mahalo

Gamesa has an interceptor rather than a trim tab, ie a small plate that is pushed down vertically.

I think (but am not certain) that the FNOB got rid of the trim tab on Renault (now Jean Le Cam's boat)

Last time it raced under Estrella Damm.

Now used in movie with DCNS

http://www.histoired...des 60'/E42.htm

I thought that DCNS was the boat they are using for the film - not the Estrella Damm.

Renault in the 2010 BWR is the old Gitana and is now Jean le Cam's boat.

Virbac 2 was Pepé and Alex's Estrella for the BWR 2010 and is still owned by the FNOB - I THINK

The confusion comes because in 2009 / 2010, just after the TJV, Pachi had the Estrella sponsor and the Gitana boat. Pépé and Alex had Renault sponsor on the ex-Virbac boat.

For some reason the sponsor swapped the skippers over (Pachi to Renault and Pépé to Estrella) but as I understand it, Pépé and Alex didn't want to swap boats so they swapped the branding over instead.

No idea why all that happened. I just remember it being super confusing for a while there.

I read someplace that the tab has been repaired and still used on the ex-Gitana 80 ex-Renault. Most did not like the weight associated with the flap, but my experience was that in the proper conditions and with it set at the optimum angle you could gain a significant speed increase.

For some reason, I thought the rule changes ended up outlawing new interceptors but grandfathered in the old ones. Could be wrong about that.

Merf and I spent the better part of a bottle of whiskey trying to figure out a way to make one work within the limits of the Class 40 rule.

The ideas got more interesting as we neared the bottom of the bottle.

In that DailySail walk thru vid with AT and MG, Mike said his boat was the only one in the race with a trim tab or interceptor. He also said it was the business...

In that DailySail walk thru vid with AT and MG, Mike said his boat was the only one in the race with a trim tab or interceptor. He also said it was the business...

Correct re trim tab. As Potter just said, the one on Virbac 2 were taken off by Pepe and Alex.