bljones

Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

Not sure if this is ugly or cool... but what the heck...

CPT115117131_high.jpg

The MS Turanor PlanetSolar, the world's largest solar boat ever built

It's both but I think the cool factor wins out.

Now I know what they mean when they say "Picnic Boat"!

It sure has style, in a redneck kind of way.

post-24720-0-87900200-1374252105_thumb.jpg

Not sure if this belongs in this thread, or the coolboats one, but here goes:

dma-263.jpg?w=500&h=500

It's always fun to see what people come up with.

Well, the little sign does say "Picnic Launch"

What impresses me is that it's well built, and even appears to have a legal light. But it needs more motor.

dma-263.jpg?w=500&h=500

What impresses me is that it's well built, and even appears to have a legal light. But it needs more motor.

now if they upgraded to an umbrella with a hinged pole they could tilt the umbrella and sail DDW. Significantly increases the cruising range!

Yeah, true but they would give up lift and any hope of foiling.

Probably still be faster than anything with two hulls, Juan K has put in the water, so far. :)

That second pic looks like two WWII Japanese aircraft carriers side by side.

dma-263.jpg?w=500&h=500

What are the chances they have a green cooler strapped to the front of the other ama?

Me too Bob, just caught that on the way home from work. A French cruiser in our anchorage with a Prout Snowgoose 37 that seems to have swallowed some ugly beach cat.

Tranq:

I'd love to know the story behind those bow mods.

Nah, let's make one up.

I say they are cargo pods designed to break away clean if the authorities approach.

Tranq:

Nah, let's make one up.

I say they are cargo pods designed to break away clean if the authorities approach.

Or they could be rams for punishing Anglophones who dare challenge Gallic sailing supremacy

FB- Doug

Tranq:

I saw this boat in St Barts a couple of Xmas's ago. Never saw anyone on board or I would have asked what they were thinking. Took a couple of photos for the record.

IMG_6707_zpsbbcfe05e.jpg

IMG_6706_zps9d7d9254.jpg

It's a bit odd because while the bow additions appear to be well done you can see in the head on shot that they are not fair at the transition to the original bow. There is a definite kink there.

I'm thinking it was done to improve the speed of the cat. I don't think there is enough volume there to correct much of a trim problem and cats typically go down in the stern, not the bow.

There is a story there that I would like to hear.

Dufour 27:

dufour-27-609180201208536865684950565445

main.jpg

3088140.jpg

From what i just read there was a safari model also that had a more traditional cabin, with ports and all that. Those who own them say it is a great sailing boat.

I think that if you look up freeboard in a dictionary you will see a photo of this boat.

Only reason I even looked at this boat was because of the recent post in CA by papillon

It's a bit odd because while the bow additions appear to be well done you can see in the head on shot that they are not fair at the transition to the original bow. There is a definite kink there.

I'm thinking it was done to improve the speed of the cat. I don't think there is enough volume there to correct much of a trim problem and cats typically go down in the stern, not the bow.

There is a story there that I would like to hear.

looks like it was done to help prevent a pitch pole. maybe the owner got scared a few to many times. you can't have long enough bows on a Cat when it comes to pitch polling.

Over:

I don't think there is enough volume forward to help. Given the lack of freeboard to the extensions and the fine entry I'm inclined to think they may contribute to a pitchpole rather than prevent it. But I'm guessing.

Homebrew attempt at wave piercing bows?

Dufour 27:

main.jpg

3088140.jpg

From what i just read there was a safari model also that had a more traditional cabin, with ports and all that. Those who own them say it is a great sailing boat.

I think that if you look up freeboard in a dictionary you will see a photo of this boat.

Only reason I even looked at this boat was because of the recent post in CA by papillon

Me likey flush decks

That one does not rank high though.... seriously, how much headroom does it have?

There is a Dufour 35 big sister, looks similar except less like an office building (much lower freeboard-to-length ratio), that is actually a good looking boat and very well regarded by people who sail them.

FB- Doug

It took me a long time to figure these boats out. They aren't a typical trunk cabin boat, and they don't much look like the usual flush deck boat, e.g. Cal 25. When I was looking for a boat, there was one sitting unused at Yacht Haven, but I was put off by clear evidence of water leaking out of the boat between the fiberglass structure and the fin. Also, the PHRF rating was north of what I was looking for. I did look at a smaller Dufour, and I thought is was one of the strongest built boats that I looked at. I would have been interested if not for the transom-mounted OB.

looks like it was done to help prevent a pitch pole. maybe the owner got scared a few to many times. you can't have long enough bows on a Cat when it comes to pitch polling.

In order to really pitchpole, it would need enough power to weight to overrun its own bows. It looks too heavy and underpowered to pull it off (as designed). And I agree with Bob's guess that driving those spears into a wave could make an otherwise unachievable pitchpole happen.

Py:

I would agree with your guess.

that'd be my guess too.

Dufour 27:

main.jpg

3088140.jpg

Me likey flush decks

That one does not rank high though.... seriously, how much headroom does it have?

There is a Dufour 35 big sister, looks similar except less like an office building (much lower freeboard-to-length ratio), that is actually a good looking boat and very well regarded by people who sail them.

FB- Doug

Those Dufours absolutely REQUIRE the hull be dark blue. They are actually very nice boats and with the dark hull look pretty good in person. The flush deck is great when you are sailing one and you can't see the freeboard from there so.....

Over:

I don't think there is enough volume forward to help. Given the lack of freeboard to the extensions and the fine entry I'm inclined to think they may contribute to a pitchpole rather than prevent it. But I'm guessing.

I had a bief chat with the skipper this morning. This moodification was an attempt to reduce brige deck slamming.

Between my broken French and his broken English, I understood that the problem was not having trampolines with a solid deck almost to the bows causing brige deck slamming in a chop. When I asked if it worked, his body language seem to tell me his effort was in vain.

But it was clear to me he did not do it to improve speed.

Increasing bridgedeck clearance reduces slamming. When the waves exceed the clearance, you have a flat-bottom boat and it's going to slam.

The Cowmaran has nice, high clearance and seldom contacts waves. It also has large carbon fiber beams that stick down below the bridgedeck, so what hits waves is the flat face of the beam. It feels like a collision with something solid. Scared heck out of me the first time I felt it, since I was driving. I figured I had just crashed Don's boat.

The little bugger's for sale.

Looks like somebody put some real time and effort into her. 9 bills aint much for a decent inland micro-cruiser.

Seen in Ventspils, Latvia, a few years ago.

Sampan meets Eurotrash styling. :o

That sheer reminds me of the shape my hand makes when I'm swooping it along in the wind outside my car window.

I like the fender mix- three colors, three sizes. Practical and easy to pick the right color fender in the dark.

Sampan meets Eurotrash styling. :o

Looks more like a K-car parked in an upside-down paper admiral's hat. Looks tippy but fuel-efficient!

FB- Doug

Plywood sailboat and glass armed cement dinghy. :)

WHY? Boy that's tough on the eyes!

Where to start?

The yacht?

The tender?

The paddle? (Actually, that one's a pretty good effort)

The lifejacket?

Geez.

Where to start?

The yacht?

The tender?

The lifejacket?

Geez.

I'm pretty sure that's his grandmother's corset not a lifejacket.

We're seeing some pretty good contributions to this thread from the eastern bloc...

Where to start?

The yacht?

The tender?

The lifejacket?

Geez.

I think the yacht has a kind of interesting look to it, but could benefit from a pressure washing.

The dink is one tiny wave away from sinking. Wow.

The paddle is not bad, but doesn't appear to have any effort at waterproofing. At least it will float when the dink becomes a reef.

I lost interest at that point, being distracted by the jagged section in the bow of the powerboat behind, and of course annoyed by the mast on the motorboat in the background.

Where to start?

The yacht?

The tender?

The lifejacket?

Geez.

I think the yacht has a kind of interesting look to it, but could benefit from a pressure washing.

The paddle is not bad, but doesn't appear to have any effort at waterproofing. At least it will float when the dink becomes a reef.

I lost interest at that point, being distracted by the jagged section in the bow of the powerboat behind, and of course annoyed by the mast on the motorboat in the background.

That "jagged section" is part of the lifting system on that boat - it's a Russian hydrofoil called a Volga. One of them came to town here back in the 70's. It was a very interesting boat - riveted aluminium construction, long & skinny and pretty fast when it got up on the foils. It had very 50's styling to it as well - much like the Russian Zil's that looked like 50's American limo's

...and he's smiling at the camera while we tap away our critique.

(slightly jealous sigh)

Where to start?

The yacht?

The tender?

The lifejacket?

Geez.

That "jagged section" is part of the lifting system on that boat - it's a Russian hydrofoil called a Volga. One of them came to town here back in the 70's. It was a very interesting boat - riveted aluminium construction, long & skinny and pretty fast when it got up on the foils. It had very 50's styling to it as well - much like the Russian Zil's that looked like 50's American limo's

Used to be one at our yacht club. It would jump from 15 to 30 knots, as the foils lifted the hull out of the water. Not sure what the top speed was, but a pretty cool boat.

Plywood sailboat and glass armed cement dinghy. :)

OK, Cacker. There's got to be a story here. Spill the beans, buddy.

Thanks, SloopJonB!

This album has a picture of one hanging underneath a boat lift. Not how we usually use boat lifts, but then, most don't have that weird stuff underneath.

http://www.volga-hydrofoil.net/gallery/show.php?pic_id=139&album_id=3

1930's. I can just see Buck Rogers driving it.

It looks light enough to be a multihull, that's good, and better built than the "Flyin Hawaiian", thats good.

see if this works

DSC01035.jpg

side profile

DSC01094.jpg

The word 'alien' comes to mind for some reason.

I Like it!

(Late Sunday night after a shaker of Saphire Martinis)

May look less intriguing tomorrow.

I'd like to see someone take that thing over, put some proper length Aka's on it, rig it and go sailing. Painting it like a 30's Buck Rogers spaceship would be good too. (aluminium & rivets)

Anybody want to draw attention to themselves?

If you ignore the training wheels, it has the same sort of weird appeal as the Cosmic Muffin.

Time for a drink? Perhaps!

ucak.jpg

Found this gem in Gananoque Ontario.

The kinda ugly only the designer or owner could love. post-64059-0-66470200-1375135181_thumb.jpg

Well, knowing what a Labor of Love it is to complete and commission any homebuild/design, I hope that the 'unique' design offers some measure of capability - perhaps limited to some local aspect or personal condition - may make it Just Great for...whatever he built it for.

Looks to be a cat rig, and even with plenty of vang clearance that house could have been about a foot bigger - so maybe it was one of those design-as-you-go deals. But yeah, nobody is going to mistake it for a Frers.

The kinda ugly only the designer or owner could love. attachicon.gifuggo.jpg

There's something about this boat...dare I say it's kinda cool?

I'm kinda with you on that one, Voyager1. I like the look of her hull lines actually - although she maybe looks a bit slack in her quarters (initially a bit tender, perhaps?). And the coach roof is OK, although probably 500mm too high, for her length, IMO. Would she be about 24 feet maybe?

I would not be ashamed to own her.

Gotta love Ferro-cement cruisers :unsure:

Oh shit. That's repugnant.

I'm kinda with you on that one, Voyager1. I like the look of her hull lines actually - although she maybe looks a bit slack in her quarters (initially a bit tender, perhaps?). And the coach roof is OK, although probably 500mm too high, for her length, IMO. Would she be about 24 feet maybe?

I would not be ashamed to own her.

Why all the reluctant acceptance?

It's a catboat. Of course it's cool. "Cool catboat" is redundant. ;)

peregrine 27. aluminum. the owner has had her for sale for years.price is down to $7000...damn close to scrap value.

peregrine 27. aluminum. the owner has had her for sale for years.price is down to $7000...damn close to scrap value.

Wow that's cheap. Couldn't by the latest generation foiling moth for that!!!!

I'll tell you a story:

When I was a kid in the early 60's there was a designer from Chicago F.S. Ford Jr.. Mr Ford advertised his design services frequently in rather large ads in YACHTING and RUDDER. His designs were hideous. Even as a kid I remember thinking how grim his designs were. His sailboats were ugly and so were his powerboats. I mean his boats didn't have a single harmonious line on them. One day I was talking to Bill Garden and I asked him what he thought of F.S. Ford's designs. Bill said, "I think God should break his pencil."

So maybe our director in charge of all Google things nautical, Mr. Boomer, could dig up an example of an F.S. Ford Jr. design so we can all nod knowling.

Interestingly enough I was on Lake Michigan recently and saw a boat on the water that happened to be designed by FS Ford Jr which caught my eye. It was based on his design, STAR, which was featured in Wooden Boat magazine, and built by Steve Van Dam Custom Boats. I looked around online and found various ads and images of his work along with the post above. I guess I'm glad God didn't break his pencil as Mr. Garden suggested, as I didn't see many "grim" boats, rather practical and functional cruising powerboats and sail boats with classic, harmonious lines. I also found that he was hired in 1971 to design the plans for the rebuild of the Armed Sloop Welcome for its 1976 Bi-Centennial and that seemed to come out looking pretty good.

Armed Sloop Welcome

F.S Ford Jr. Naval Architects

The Ford 60s

long island 32 drawing

Evening Star 63

STAR A Designer's Own Boat

F.S. Ford Jr Naval Architects, Ad 1966

Every time I pass this boat, I think how ungraceful it is.

It's easy to pick on powerboats. Designers have learned how to get adequate (as in "adequate to get the boat sold") performance and accommodation out of a boat that is so short, narrow, and high that it's just about impossible to make it look good.

SANY0935

It's easy to pick on powerboats. Designers have learned how to get adequate (as in "adequate to get the boat sold") performance and accommodation out of a boat that is so short, narrow, and high that it's just about impossible to make it look good.

The running shoe look. If you gave one of those to George Barris and had him section it, removing the hull from the deck to the boot and reattaching it, it MIGHT look decent.

The performance part is easy: more horsepower. So it gets blown sideways near docks. Big deal, they're still pretty easy to control.

The accommodation thing can't be changed in the smaller sizes. Headroom is nice and the only real penalty for it is that people looking at your boat as you go by have a somewhat less pleasant viewing experience. Too bad for them.

The running shoe look. If you gave one of those to George Barris and had him section it, removing the hull from the deck to the boot and reattaching it, it MIGHT look decent.

We call 'em football boats.

Shaped like a football, the deck is woefully impractical for anything other than sunbathing on the aft surfaces... watching a crew try to handle dock lines on the foredeck is painful to watch (more so because it's usually wife and/or kids who have done nothing to deserve this).

And generally the owners would rather talk about football than about anything nautical.

FB- Doug

Ferro Cement sailboat...need I say more?

1090878_10102081503941312_1270731926_o.j

Even if this boat had been kept up, I just don't find anything graceful about it. Especially that camper style coachroof.