bljones

Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

I am building as new custom boat for myself.

I don't give a rat's ass if you are stupid enough not to realize it is amazing.

It is being built in alu.

It is my dream boat.

It is 15' LOA.

Bob, surely this nice little project deserves its own thread, and most certainly to be removed from the Uglyboat thread!

I was thinking the same thing. It should at least be promoted to Coolboats. It really doesn't qualify as Ugly in any way I can see, especially by the standards set in this thread.

Bob, will it be welded or riveted? My antique aluminum skiff is riveted. It has a few seepers, but the vast majority are watertight. If left in the water overnight, it would take on a cup or two. 1958 hull that has been pounded across chop for a LOT of hours over the years.

It will be bare alu because that's what I want for my beach. It will be welded 5052. The welds will not be ground. It will be built to a workboat like finish.

Rasper is helping me with this and as usual is doing amazing work handling the geometry challenges of working with flat plate. He reads my mind.

It is still in the preliminary design phase and we have much work to do yet. The builder will be Jim Betts in Anacortes. He wants one for himself.

post-2980-0-98368500-1380974614_thumb.jpg

Peen Pod.....I like her very much. This seems totally different from what you were discussing last year and wee bit more robust.

It will be bare alu because that's what I want for my beach. It will be welded 5052. The welds will not be ground. It will be built to a workboat like finish.

Rasper is helping me with this and as usual is doing amazing work handling the geometry challenges of working with flat plate. He reads my mind.

It is still in the preliminary design phase and we have much work to do yet. The builder will be Jim Betts in Anacortes. He wants one for himself.

Very clever.

Well I have a new entry for the panel to consider.

It is just wrong somehow. So wrong.

post-46472-0-20502600-1380983522_thumb.jpg

Do we have an idea of the cost of the "Peen Pod" yet?

Would we save some of the costs by building several of them at the same time?

I could use a work-boat like skiff

Kim:

Jim Betts is working on the price now and I hope to meet with him next week. I'll talk to him about maybe a 6 boat build and see what that does to the price. I think some people on my beach might be interested too. I have one neighbor already looking for a row boat like this.

post-14496-0-97710100-1380986715_thumb.jpg

Ugly yes, but sooo romantic.

But why no jacuzzi?

It would have a strong middle aged bachelor niche market....or frat house party on mum and dad's boat.

Hi Bob,

this is a dinghy owned by a local shipwright. It was built in aluminium by Dehavilland (I think). You can see the care and attention in its construction and appears to be light enough whilst remaining robust.

post-14496-0-00812800-1380987635_thumb.jpg

I look around. I see alu boats are really popular with the sport fishing guys. The boat Jody and I are working on does not exist now. I have no idea how popular it could be. I know built in alu it could be done in several versions including a sailing version. I'm not a marketing guy. But I know I can get good exposure in the mags due to my previous work. I also know it's so easy to fall in llove with your own creation and think "everyone will want this". It seldom happens that way with custom projects. Right now I'm cautiously optimistic and trying not to be blinded by the eye candy that Jody continues to produce.

I've been intrigued by origami hull development. I've never seen an explanation of how to develop the layout on the flat panels. I'm interested in the way the chine resolves into a rounded shape aft. Is the builder going to have to build a form to enable that bend?

Semi:

I didn't think so initially but Betts is talking about some type of "plug" to minimize distortion in the ends. I think we have some head scratching to do yet.

Jody knows exactly what I am after and his skill is translating my idea into a shape that is not dictated by the geometry process of using flat plate. So far so good.

Bob has me adding some narrow side decks at the gunnel on the 'Peed Pod' and I need to detail a few more things out before sending him the latest. I did print out the 'cutfile' that he had posted earlier onto some heavy artists watercolor paper at 1-1/2" = 1'0" scale. I sliced it out and crudely Scotch taped it together and made a half model of sorts. The geometry is pretty close to what we had hoped for, surprisingly full at the forefoot and with a nice crisp edge on the lower chine at the stern. Using Bett's suggested .09 5012 alloy I think we can bring this in a just a tad over 100 lbs. Bob is keeping it real pragmatic as to maintenance and it will be a tough little bugger. It would be a treat to see Bob, a dog, and Violet out for an adventure in suck a cockleshell.

post-33902-0-27542300-1380990497_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifdigi48377393_l.jpg

But why no jacuzzi?

It would have a strong middle aged bachelor niche market....or frat house party on mum and dad's boat.

Dude, I'm telling you these things are great panty removers, even for us middle-aged married folk. I'm speaking as a former owner of one. We sold it last year and man.... I'm missing it. They are wonderful to be on and while aboard you don't have to look at it.

But why no jacuzzi?

Dude, I'm telling you these things are great panty removers, even for us middle-aged married folk. I'm speaking as a former owner of one. We sold it last year and man.... I'm missing it. They are wonderful to be on and while aboard you don't have to look at it.

Don't think of it as a boat. It's a semi-mobile piece of waterfront property

FB- Doug

But why no jacuzzi?

Don't think of it as a boat. It's a semi-mobile piece of waterfront property

FB- Doug

I'm not going to admit I'd like to take one out... never.

attachicon.gifphoto (5).JPGBob has me adding some narrow side decks at the gunnel on the 'Peed Pod' and I need to detail a few more things out before sending him the latest. I did print out the 'cutfile' that he had posted earlier onto some heavy artists watercolor paper at 1-1/2" = 1'0" scale. I sliced it out and crudely Scotch taped it together and made a half model of sorts. The geometry is pretty close to what we had hoped for, surprisingly full at the forefoot and with a nice crisp edge on the lower chine at the stern. Using Bett's suggested .09 5012 alloy I think we can bring this in a just a tad over 100 lbs. Bob is keeping it real pragmatic as to maintenance and it will be a tough little bugger. It would be a treat to see Bob, a dog, and Violet out for an adventure in suck a cockleshell.

very slick, thanks for helping out some of us who may be 3D challenged.

" suck a cockleshell"?

Hey Rasper, watch your language around my granddaughter.

I'm confused Occam. How can you be 3D challenged?

That's great. A workboat finish of bare aluminum is the only way to go on your rocky shore, but I still don't think it qualifies for the Uglyboat thread.

Happy?

Well, we should probably talk about that.

On a scale of one to ten someone has to be a three. For reference.

Happy?

Well, we should probably talk about that.

On a scale of one to ten someone has to be a three. For reference.

We could get better calibration if we had a solid two

FB- Doug

Bob, if anyone calls you ugly you can always have Ruby barf some salmon eyes on them!

I like the boat, it is in the wrong thread.

It is my dream boat.

It is 15' LOA.

Oh man, I want to see that built. Bob, you should set up a "Fund Me" site and let us all contribute. The only payback is we have to show up at the shack, one at a time, and go on a daysail with you.

attachicon.gifphoto (5).JPGBob has me adding some narrow side decks at the gunnel on the 'Peed Pod' and I need to detail a few more things out before sending him the latest. I did print out the 'cutfile' that he had posted earlier onto some heavy artists watercolor paper at 1-1/2" = 1'0" scale. I sliced it out and crudely Scotch taped it together and made a half model of sorts. The geometry is pretty close to what we had hoped for, surprisingly full at the forefoot and with a nice crisp edge on the lower chine at the stern. Using Bett's suggested .09 5012 alloy I think we can bring this in a just a tad over 100 lbs. Bob is keeping it real pragmatic as to maintenance and it will be a tough little bugger. It would be a treat to see Bob, a dog, and Violet out for an adventure in suck a cockleshell.

This has a kinda badass porta-bote vibe going on. I mean that as a compliment. I love porta-botes. I also think the Peen Pod qualifies as ugly, but in a Dodge M37 kind of way. The M37 ain't pretty. It doesn't need to be pretty. It has a mission. And it will accomplish it.

M37%20Cecil%20Cox.jpg

Sculper:

Yes, that is my ultimate defence.

BJ:

No sails at this stage. Oars only. I have found that rowing a really good pulling boat is very satisfactory.

I can always weld in a sailing rig. But a good pulling boat will not make a good sailing boat.

Damn it! Now you have me thinking about the next boat.

Come on up. I'll cook vegan just for you and the lovely Kerry. And, you can go for a row.

Come on up anyway. It's been to long.

Skol:

I think you nailed it.

OK. This one's serious. I present it with apologies to those who love pointy sterns, flush decks, tasteful classic yachts, etc. There's probably a lot to admire, but that's ugly.

1173655_590960504278980_626423831_n.jpg

an old timey passenger launch for Lake Union and surrounding waters. there are quite a few of these little creatures meandering around the Puget Sound. They look less funny once you begin to see enough of them in various forms. I really enjoy checking them out below. It's often like climbing through a kids tree house. The head will have a big ol' porcelain bowl, the small galley will utilize tile. Sometimes you'll find octagonal tile soles in the cabins. Here's a larger circa 1912 cousin that's getting refit for electric power.

Electric-Repower-1912-Consolidated-Launc

Sculper:

Yes, that is my ultimate defence.

BJ:

No sails at this stage. Oars only. I have found that rowing a really good pulling boat is very satisfactory.

I can always weld in a sailing rig. But a good pulling boat will not make a good sailing boat.

Damn it! Now you have me thinking about the next boat.

Come on up. I'll cook vegan just for you and the lovely Kerry. And, you can go for a row.

Come on up anyway. It's been to long.

Skol:

I think you nailed it.

Peering down from the back porch of my dream house with a stretch of beach, I can see one secured to a crude boat launch built out of driftwood and half buried storm logs that lead an angled path down into the water. I'd name it Silver Bear.

whilst we're on that... a friend's fully restored 30' Dreamboat

attachicon.gifIMAG0238.jpg

Tricky - that should be in cool boats thread. *whistle*

I also think the Peen Pod qualifies as ugly, but in a Dodge M37 kind of way.

A lot of smart people say things like "Utility is beauty" but that most often an excuse. In this case, yes... prettiest thing you can see for miles

FB- Doug

Skol:

You can't build that dock anymore. You will destroy the environment! Destroy it I say! We have departments of the govertment full of experts that are paid well to tell you tha you can't build your dock. Next year we will have even more departments of the government. We won't have anything else but we will have departments. They will tell you exactly what you can do. Don't even try to worry about thinking for yourself. It's old fashioned.

No dock for you!

I say, jump in your peener and head for Tiera Del Fuago. Take a sweater. Build your dock.

Skol:

You can't build that dock anymore. You will destroy the environment! Destroy it I say! We have departments of the govertment full of experts that are paid well to tell you tha you can't build your dock. Next year we will have even more departments of the government. We won't have anything else but we will have departments. They will tell you exactly what you can do. Don't even try to worry about thinking for yourself. It's old fashioned.

No dock for you!

I say, jump in your peener and head for Tiera Del Fuago. Take a sweater. Build your dock.

LOL *smh* Bob, I wish I knew you weren't right. Reminds me of talking to BLM folks about access to the CCC roads in the Cascades. If I take my Land Rover up there, I'm creating erosion and damaging all manner of small species of plants. When the clear-cutters go up there and scalp the same damned hill, well, they're just funding the schools.

Skol:

No dock for you!

We set the gold standard for that in West Van. A city bureaucrat was once reported as saying (seriously) "In West Vancouver, everything is prohibited that isn't allowed".

Fuckin' Nirvana for the petty bureaucrat mindset.

It is my dream boat.

It is 15' LOA.

That is a very cool concept, perfect for a row, can drag it up and down the beach so it's one person without help boat, It'll look cool and you can fish from it.

Bob, could you start a thread about it so we can watch the build?

post-33902-0-69934200-1381030119_thumb.jpgpost-33902-0-02175200-1381030129_thumb.jpgpost-33902-0-84278200-1381030137_thumb.jpgBob wants this boat to be zero maintenance and the equivalent of the cockroach. Drag it up on the beach, (driftwood logs and rocks qualifies as a beach?) and get your fishing gear and dog treats out and then roll it upside down on a handy log at the edge of the yard. Totally impervious to the elements. I'm starting to catch on and here are the results.

Yep, that's the way to do it. That boat will be around for generations of Perry descendants to enjoy, unless of course someone accidentally puts copper bottom paint on it like my uncle did to his Duroboat. Not pretty.

The beach we had at our place went from rocks up to 3" or so in diameter with small boulders in places to barnacle encrusted rocks to mud to coarse sand and stretched out about 150 yards on very low tides. Dragging small boats over all that was very rough on their bottoms.

Nice work as usual Rasp.

It is 15' LOA.

Interesting. On a boat this size, how does aluminium (sic *) stand up compared to ply/glass sandwich etc in terms of durability & weight? I remember seeing a 1- single scull rowing shell in practically paper thin alloy, and it's dent resistance was pitiful compared to wooden and carbon boats. 15' is long for rotomoulding, and the market for pulling boats is far too small to make moulds, but it would be interesting to see what you could do.

(What happened to that chap who was building an alloy clinker Colin Archer, in ?China?)?

* (No doubt, the answer would is completely different from that you get if you build on aluminum).

The sail and oar raid people are really into trying to square that particular circle. (Well, not really. AFAICS, the emphasis is increasingly on sailing performance at the expense of rowing speed). Lots of different offerings at various places on the rowing -> sailing spectrum. Faerings, pulling boats etc. Iain Oughtread, Francois Vivier etc etc.

Ed:

I want a row boat. If I want a sailboat I'll design one.

I want alu because with the skin thicknesss I will use I will have a very durable boat. That's the whole point of using alu. This whole project depends on alu construction.

I have had a place on this beach for over 30 years. I know the beach and I know how it treats boats. I have had wood, grp and rotomolded boats on the beach. Don't want wood on the rocks. Can't have rotomolded, too heavy and too ugly. GRP at this size is not suited to the rocks. Alu is the material for me.

Down at the north end of the beach is a blue alu, rivetted, 13' boat. It just washed up on the beach about 5 years ago. It dioesn;t belong to anyone. It just sits there for anyone to use. It gets beatup pretty bad in the winter storms. But it is intact and usable today. It's a POS but it is a watertight POS.

Hey, just curious... I enjoy reading this particular forum, especially being able to chatbdirectly with Bob Perry! I mean come on man, Legend! But I want to know if anyone signed up for the weekly digrst also gets a ton of emails every sunday starting at midnight? I,ve received 15 since 12am... And counting! I suspect i will get another after this post...

Mod?

Getting back to Uglyboats and the admiration thereof...

1379921_556672264402662_1731577571_n.jpg

From the Crystal River Boatbuilders Facebook page

On your mark, get set, admire!

Very cool boat... long tradition too, back in the days before 18-wheelers and interstates, boats like this carried goods & materials all around including some surprising places up rivers & creeks.

The problem with trying to make a cruiser out of a scow is headroom. You end up with an ungainly tall box, and no accomodation in the ends. You need a big one!

FB- Doug

We have them up here in Maine, too. Not classically pretty, but not ugly. Unique.

scowschoonerLILY1.jpg

I want his drugs.

11.1240069020.one-ugly-boat.jpg

Poor thing. Who put that dog house on?

funky-cruiser-01-s.jpg

This one needs to lay off the crystal..

73672d1346254043-mud-tender-car-paddlewh

Well, maybe his drugs are better...

9495d1160033912-can-anyone-find-more-ugl

Plastic hell...but very clean...

9533d1160165406-can-anyone-find-more-ugl

What could be more seaworthy than a dory with a junk rig? And is that one those Aluminum boats Bob likes in the background?

Well, maybe his drugs are better...

9495d1160033912-can-anyone-find-more-ugl

I want his drugs.

This one looks like a chance drunken meeting in a dark alley between Gaudi and Hot (Flyin' Hawaiin) Rod

I dig the tires on the bows. Wouldn't want to scratch the finish! Also that it is on stands, gotta keep the bottom in top shape!

want alu because with the skin thicknesss I will use I will have a very durable boat. That's the whole point of using alu. This whole project depends on alu construction.

I have had a place on this beach for over 30 years. I know the beach and I know how it treats boats. I have had wood, grp and rotomolded boats on the beach. Don't want wood on the rocks. Can't have rotomolded, too heavy and too ugly. GRP at this size is not suited to the rocks. Alu is the material for me.

Understand completely, given the situation why alu makes sense, and didn't mean to come across as critical.

Out of interest, what thickness plate will you use? Any rib/frames required? Or can you do it like epoxy/ply, and just rely on the joints between the planks and a thwart or two.

The topic being "ugly", this is off topic.

If you want to move some stuff around, try a gundalow!

Very cool. Two UK versions (well, ish. As in a sail-powered heavy goods transport): Norfolk wherry.

albion_colour.jpg

And Humber Keel.

humber%20keell.jpg

Those UK boats are really cool.

I see what looks like a leeboard on that b&w photo but how do you go upwind with that rig?

It's really screaming along in that photo.

I can almost see a wake.

Tons of room, twin screw, large bridge deck......the Dodge Caravan of the lake.

You guys have to stop posting cool boats in the ugly boat thread. You're ruining the concentrated ugliness, which is something beautiful to see.

I never got a chance to ask him before he left here? Can you share where he went?

I never got a chance to ask him before he left here? Can you share where he went?

I'll pm you.

You guys have to stop posting cool boats in the ugly boat thread. You're ruining the concentrated ugliness, which is something beautiful to see.

You've done well with those recent posts.

That should earn a Google Advanced Image search award.

...unless you actually spotted and photographed them?

"concentrated ugliness which is somethging beautiful to see"

I never thought about it like that. But I think you are right.

For some reason, boatdesigners.net and woodenboat.forum are gold mines for ulgy boats.

So why is that? Is it like modern art? I am just not equipped to appreciate it?

sealander-0.jpg

Is it right to look down my nose at other peoples effort?

9119d1158265069-can-anyone-find-more-ugl

Even if it looks like the boats I drew daydreaming in kindergarten?

Am I just out of touch with modern tastes and needs?

9534d1160165475-can-anyone-find-more-ugl

Am I too unappreciative of other people can-do, make-the-best-of-what-you've-got-just-get-out-on-the-water spirit?

62251d1318289474-can-anyone-find-more-ug

Even some of the higher end stuff...I'm not sure I could afford that

9590d1160485223-can-anyone-find-more-ugl

That expensive custom ugly.

Maybe I have cultural blinkers on...

9254d1158921103-can-anyone-find-more-ugl

A boat can be ugly and cool. Or at least so say I.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_3.jpgattachicon.gifScreenshot_4.jpgattachicon.gifScreenshot_5.jpgBob wants this boat to be zero maintenance and the equivalent of the cockroach. Drag it up on the beach, (driftwood logs and rocks qualifies as a beach?) and get your fishing gear and dog treats out and then roll it upside down on a handy log at the edge of the yard. Totally impervious to the elements. I'm starting to catch on and here are the results.

Lovely looking pulling boat, Bob.

Any bow, stern or under thwarts built-in buoyancy envisaged?

Made of Aluminium, she could sink if swamped is all. Be nice not to have to dredge her up off the bottom.

Sailby:

Yes,we will have flotation.

The trick is gloing to have the flotation volume where we can make use of the available structure.

We are looking at the flotation issue now. Won't take much but it needs to be in the right place. You are obviously paying attention Saildate. Your comment about the location of flotation is very valid. I'm thinking that it really needs to be just under the gunnel between the midmost frames right in the middle of the boat. Just enough to right the boat when it is flooded and keep the inner coaming of the deck out of the water. I'm looking at the S. Calif surf dorys that the lifeguards use as an example. They are apparently self righting and self bailing and if you have ever watched them punch out through the surfline on a big day, it is amazing.

http://www.pearsonunlimited.com/DorySpecs.html

We are looking at the flotation issue now. Won't take much but it needs to be in the right place. You are obviously paying attention Saildate. Your comment about the location of flotation is very valid. I'm thinking that it really needs to be just under the gunnel between the midmost frames right in the middle of the boat. Just enough to right the boat when it is flooded and keep the inner coaming of the deck out of the water. I'm looking at the S. Calif surf dorys that the lifeguards use as an example. They are apparently self righting and self bailing and if you have ever watched them punch out through the surfline on a big day, it is amazing.

http://www.pearsonunlimited.com/DorySpecs.html

Some good floatation options there, Rasputin22. A false bottom might also be an option, maybe? Although possibly too much extra weight required for strengthening/rigidity of inner floor skin?

Sailby:

We are considering a false bottom. But we have to weigh the cost factors of the various arrangements too. I fear the false bottom might be expensive. But I like it.

I want his drugs.

This one looks like a chance drunken meeting in a dark alley between Gaudi and Hot (Flyin' Hawaiin) Rod

Picaso hits brown acid

Tons of room, twin screw, large bridge deck......the Dodge Caravan of the lake.

Carver is by far the worst offender when it comes to making boats with the "inflated" look, and I actually admire them for it. Every ugly thing about it has one thing in common: it creates more volume/headroom inside per foot of boat. People and their friends and their stuff require volume. Boats are sold by the pound. More volume per pound = efficient.

If people on other boats are unhappy with their viewing experience, they can look in a different direction. :P

Awesome find. Bob, there are your Popeye oarlocks.

A boat can be ugly and cool. Or at least so say I.

Kind of the point of having an Admiration Society. ;)

Yeah but every part of it was almost certainly free, and it didn't take long to build, either.

A boat like this will never get stolen.

This is my idea of an ugly boat with a heart of gold

FB- Doug

For some reason, boatdesigners.net and woodenboat.forum are gold mines for ulgy boats.

So why is that? Is it like modern art? I am just not equipped to appreciate it?

sealander-0.jpg

Am I just out of touch with modern tastes and needs?

9534d1160165475-can-anyone-find-more-ugl

Am I too unappreciative of other people can-do, make-the-best-of-what-you've-got-just-get-out-on-the-water spirit?

62251d1318289474-can-anyone-find-more-ug

with the exception of that Carver 'Boot', I can truly appreciate all the others. I especially like that vanboat thing. It must be a blast sitting in the driver seat in that thing.

If the shape of a boat doesn't follow it's function then I reckon it's ugly.

Some of these funky boats just aren't that ugly because it looks like they have a job to do. Even the cat looks right as it shouts `Gaudi' or `Hundertwasser' and is quite rightly sitting on land.

...except the Carver; its purpose is to be a pretend megayacht. blech

But why no jacuzzi?

I grew up on inland lakes, and pontoon boats were the ubiquitous ride for the 'senior set' - seemed that half the cottages had one. They are slow, but very stable, and make great platforms for picnics, fishing, swimming or just the slow cruise around the lake to see what flowers the Smiths have this year. Back then, they were mostly made by starting with a bunch of 55 gal drums welded end to end, but they have gone much more upscale. This one's only sin is trying a bit too hard to look like some sort of raceboat with the styling of the arch/awning. Oh, and it probably has about twice as much engine as it can use too.

Even some of the higher end stuff...I'm not sure I could afford that

9590d1160485223-can-anyone-find-more-ugl

That expensive custom ugly.

I never thought I'd see that thing again. I did a Transatlantic on it. The only Open 50 with a 7 foot draft. Not enough for that rig.

Here's my offering. My boat. It's ugly. I love it.

post-1246-0-06596300-1381183000_thumb.jpg

Not bad, for a small trawler....

september2013blogpics033_zpsd9450700.jpg

Until you get to the COTB-apalooza:

september2013blogpics077_zps9bfbb820.jpg

Another Carver. With a spiral staircase.

september2013blogpics035_zps56947fb6.jpg

I never thought I'd see that thing again. I did a Transatlantic on it. The only Open 50 with a 7 foot draft. Not enough for that rig.

Here's my offering. My boat. It's ugly. I love it.

I think that looks cute! Just like a miniature IOR boat from the early 80'ies

What is it? Any room down below?

post-1246-0-06596300-1381183000_thumb.jp

I like your boat - it's got character. What is it and where is it?

It's a one off ior quarter tonner from 1974, built and designed by Ronnie Stoner. I kid you not, it's listed as a stoner 25. It's in New Orleans and we got it for free after Katrina with cosmetic damage. The design itself could be considered cosmetic damage from some angles, but she's fun to sail. Lots of room below but nothing down there to utilize it with. Very unstable boat, hence seven people. Her name is Girl.

Bob P, I'm thinking about puting a plumb bow on her. Any opinion?

I kid, I kid...;)