• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
bljones

Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

Do you write country western songs?

Ha!

Nope. But I am just the teeniest-tiny bit of a romantic despite my deep-seated cynicism.

Ha!

Nope. But I am just the teeniest-tiny bit of a romantic despite my deep-seated cynicism.

Your location: Newyorkachusetts. Just curious, Yankees or Red Sox? EIther one's ok with me. Well, I would like to think that.

Backyard Boats seem to have their special type of ugly, some, like the Curmudgeon Craft, are Backyard Built Ugly- Good intentions, Maxwell Smart execution ("missed it by that much") Some I think are BYB because their owners are too embarassed to even think about lauching or re-launching them. Like this one:

BriansNewPics143.jpg

Believe it or not, that is NOT homebuilt.

Backyard Boats seem to have their special type of ugly, some, like the Curmudgeon Craft, are Backyard Built Ugly- Good intentions, Maxwell Smart execution ("missed it by that much") Some I think are BYB because their owners are too embarassed to even think about lauching or re-launching them. Like this one:

BriansNewPics143.jpg

Looks stable. And possibly dry.

(Just trying to find something to like. How'd I do?)

Ha!

Your location: Newyorkachusetts. Just curious, Yankees or Red Sox? EIther one's ok with me. Well, I would like to think that.

Neither, really. Was never a fan of baseball, though I will watch a Sox game with my dad when we visit him in Charlestown.

I prefer football, but haven't followed it in years. Was a big Giants fan back in the Simms, Bavaro, Taylor days.

BriansNewPics143.jpg

I like the windshield wipers. They would come in handy.

Not "homebuilt" you say? Well, I would believe that since the builder's home was probably under a bridge somewhere...

FB- Doug

Ha!

Neither, really. Was never a fan of baseball, though I will watch a Sox game with my dad when we visit him in Charlestown.

I prefer football, but haven't followed it in years. Was a big Giants fan back in the Simms, Bavaro, Taylor days.

I was a Red Sox fan back in the Carl Yastrzemski days when I was my daughter's age. As such I like to take her to Fenway for some hot dogs, popcorn, and a Hoodsie.

hoodsie.jpg

I feel a little bit bad about posting this, since I have never spoken to the owner. But this lives on my dock.

IMG_0312.jpg

I don't know if it shows up in the photo, but in addition to the pick-up mirrors, it has a truck steering wheel and a nice truck bucket seat for the driver. There's a little cockpit in the back set up for fishing.

When I see a boat (or other vehicle) like this, I always imagine that the owner is very happy with it. It's juuuust the way he wants it.

Tod:

I was sitting in the cockpit of the mighty PERRYWINKLE very early morning up in Port Ludlow. I was on the end of the dock and I sat there sipping my instant coffee as a very ugly alu powerboat with shit piled all over it left the marina and passed my stern. As I sat there, the guy on the powerboat rolled down a window, leaned out and said to me, "Aren't you glad you didn't design this one?"

I have no idea who the guy was or how he knew who I was.

So I have a tough time judging ugly, 'cept when it comes to the opposite sex. And up here in MN while there are plenty of blond-haired, blue eyed scandi-queens, the ugly stick borne of the ugly tree grows strong up on the range.

It has been brought to my attention that I was wrong to paint with such a broad stroke. We have one of the prettiest Iron Rangers there ever was in the form of Winchin Britches :P

Pics?

There's pics floating around here. Jackdaw posted some and I'm too lazy to look for 'em.

BriansNewPics143.jpg

Not "homebuilt" you say? Well, I would believe that since the builder's home was probably under a bridge somewhere...

FB- Doug

damn Doug, that was good. got a good laugh at that.

I was ready to give that thing some props until I saw the phrase 'not homebuilt'. What's worse, 'not hombuilt' or 'sold to a buyer'.

Tod:

I was sitting in the cockpit of the mighty PERRYWINKLE very early morning up in Port Ludlow. ...

I have no idea who the guy was or how he knew who I was.

You RockStar you ! Must be the entourage that gives it away.

BriansNewPics143.jpg

FB- Doug

damn Doug, that was good. got a good laugh at that.

I was ready to give that thing some props until I saw the phrase 'not homebuilt'. What's worse, 'not hombuilt' or 'sold to a buyer'.

For some reason I think it needs a big headlight right about where that badge is on the front of the house. Or maybe a big VW logo.

Anyone else here ever party on a houseboat?

I spent an unforgettable night on one down at Eliot Key in S. Biscayne Bay during a really spectacular meteor shower. This had to be late 70s, maybe early 80s.

The boat was not much more attractive than the two victims in this thread, and had an ancient OMC sterndrive that had eating size oysters on it. I was glad to have my old Whaler in tow, and anticipated that the towing roles might well be reversed at some point during the weekend.

Good times on ugly, marginally useful boats.

That POS old houseboat got a lot more use than the really nice, almost new Hatteras 54 that lived a few doors down from us on the Gables Waterway.

I used to see it go by at least once a week or so.

I'd say in bang for buck and every other way, the houseboat owner was winning. ;)

My Danish pal Tom calls that the "bloated tennis shoe" look.

That boat doesn't look like it was built. It looks like it was inflated. Your ears will pop when you go below.

That right there is funny, i don't care who you are.

Think we could spook spork that boat at night while it sits a the dock and have it tip over deflate?

Fixed it for you!

Make sure you watch the kids cartoon Cars or maybe Cars 2 before you change the direction of "That there is funny, I don't care who you are" by the character Mater or tow mater

I know I have posted this before, but I think it has special meaning in this context.

loon.jpg

What is he doing? or does anyone know?

Duh!....he's smoking a big fatty!

For some reason I think it needs a big headlight right about where that badge is on the front of the house. Or maybe a big VW logo.

Hey, hey - you're hitting pretty close to home there!

Grew up traipsing the continent in a VW Campmobile, and own a VW Eurovan MV Weekender nowadays, which, come to think of it, traipsed all over the continent too. The first time I was a kid; my folks were German so we took German-style vacations - six weeks at a time and they always involved conquering territory (Northern Quebec, the Southwest, Northern Rockies, etc.) Did the same with the newer one with my kids (Baja, PNW, Southeast, etc.)

Short of sailing, some of the best experiences we've ever had. Similar living conditions too.

Grew up traipsing the continent in a VW Campmobile, and own a VW Eurovan MV Weekender nowadays, which, come to think of it, traipsed all over the continent too. The first time I was a kid; my folks were German so we took German-style vacations - six weeks at a time and they always involved conquering territory (Northern Quebec, the Southwest, Northern Rockies, etc.) Did the same with the newer one with my kids (Baja, PNW, Southeast, etc.)

Short of sailing, some of the best experiences we've ever had. Similar living conditions too.

Heh. What nationality were your folks the second time you were a kid? :P

BriansNewPics143.jpg

It'd make a great swamp-fishing platform to hang out w/your lab, drink beer and not care about what ya catch. Of course, I'd have to moor it outta public site and paddle out to it.

man, nothing gets by this crowd.

+1 on houseboats. There are two types of boats my family are not allowed on: Catamarans and Houseboats. The last thing I want to hear from 4 women is how there's no privacy on our boat. Here on the ol' Mississippi, I could see living my later years on a big, steel houseboat.

I know I have posted this before, but I think it has special meaning in this context.

loon.jpg

What is he doing? or does anyone know?

Duh!....he's smoking a big fatty!

Ya think.... :lol:

"The first time I was a kid; my folks were German "

Great! You mean we get to do this again?

I always believed in the trnsmigration of souls.

Ok, I can no longer resist. You guys are interpreting that as if there were a comma, not a semicolon. The semicolon is used between independent related clauses. So "the first time I was a kid;" implies that the second time he was something else--a dog or sheep, maybe a unicorn.

Also, the first time, when he was a kid, it's important in this context, apparently, that his folks were German.

This is the juncture, in this type of post, when I mention my Latin teacher Miss Vancavage.

Very funny, Tom. Miss Vancavage is still available, in her 90s. I was tickled recently by reconnecting with her about a Latin question, the plural form of gluteus maximus (glutei maximi), by e-mail. You know how we all get about teachers that have affected us profoundly.

I have a vivid mental picture: her face, her straight carriage, her sensible shoes. Alas, no internet pics.

Ok, I can no longer resist. You guys are interpreting that as if there were a comma, not a semicolon. The semicolon is used between independent related clauses. So "the first time I was a kid;" implies that the second time he was something else--a dog or sheep, maybe a unicorn.

Also, the first time, when he was a kid, it's important in this context, apparently, that his folks were German.

This is the juncture, in this type of post, when I mention my Latin teacher Miss Vancavage.

So you're sayin' that the first time you were a kid you were a dweeby nerd who paid attention in grammar classes? No offense.

So you're sayin' that the first time you were a kid you were a dweeby nerd who paid attention in grammar classes? No offense.

That's it! And don't forget I'm rich!

Now you're mixing up the first time you were a kid with the second.....

Think spring!

So I have a tough time judging ugly, 'cept when it comes to the opposite sex. And up here in MN while there are plenty of blond-haired, blue eyed scandi-queens, the ugly stick borne of the ugly tree grows strong up on the range.

It has been brought to my attention that I was wrong to paint with such a broad stroke. We have one of the prettiest Iron Rangers there ever was in the form of Winchin Britches :P

Pics?

There's pics floating around here. Jackdaw posted some and I'm too lazy to look for 'em.

ta da..

5e4944bf.jpg

Pics?

ta da..

5e4944bf.jpg

A very good-looking and happy group, jackdaw.

A very good-looking and happy group, jackdaw.

And all SA/CA regulars... Me, Kestrel, Winchin, and B6sfull. Drinking rum and telling lies at one of the Bayfield Race Week parties.

Jack

OT but...I'm carving a Ben 367 right now. Nice hull but the keel is driving me crazy.

post-25646-0-44747600-1354847801_thumb.jpg

...The first time I was a kid; my folks were German so we took German-style vacations - six weeks at a time and they always involved conquering territory (Northern Quebec, the Southwest, Northern Rockies, etc.) ...

Good catch. Alcohol may have been involved; "the first time we owned a VW exploration product" was my intention. I'm usually a stickler for grammar and punctuation, really.

I'm really enjoying my second childhood as a Coloradoan. My wife swears I'm stuck at 14.

The parents then became 'murricans, but their accent kept giving them away. Now add a little Yankee (they're now in NH - "Ayuh - you cahn't get theah from heah") so we're dealing with nationalistic/regional identity confusion. ;-) It's all good though.

Love it KD, but you missed something.

which, come to think of it, traipsed all over the continent too. The first time I was a kid;

All it really needs is a comma after first time, and everything's Kosher. And sadly I'm not.

i've been looking for a cheap pocket cruiser for some fun, wow there's some gold out there for this thread.

this one might be against the idea of this thread (production ugly rather than owner modified ugly) but it had me in tears (laughing) when i saw it.

i can see where he was trying to go with it, i guess trying to get saildrive performance out of a normal outboard, dont know how the outboard would fare crossing a bar with following breaking waves... then after the idea comes the execution...

edit: forgot to add - quote from ebay advert !

Modifications to be completed before the yacht is sea worthy.

:blink:

post-72500-0-19075500-1355109947_thumb.jpg

post-72500-0-84741700-1355109944_thumb.jpg

i've been looking for a cheap pocket cruiser for some fun, wow there's some gold out there for this thread.

this one might be against the idea of this thread (production ugly rather than owner modified ugly) but it had me in tears (laughing) when i saw it.

i can see where he was trying to go with it, i guess trying to get saildrive performance out of a normal outboard, dont know how the outboard would fare crossing a bar with following breaking waves... then after the idea comes the execution...

edit: forgot to add - quote from ebay advert !

Modifications to be completed before the yacht is sea worthy.

:blink:

post-72500-0-19075500-1355109947_thumb.jpg

post-72500-0-84741700-1355109944_thumb.jpg

How could it ever be seaworthy with that companionway over to one side?

How could it ever be seaworthy with that companionway over to one side?

Hey, would you go below and grab a couple of beers? No, wait, let me tack first.

With the rudder off to one side on that stern pod, you can't tack from port to starboard. You have to wear around. The boat will only turn clockwise! Not a problem unless you get caught in downtown traffic with all those blocks of one-way streets !!

FB- Doug

Here is another contender: Orient Spendor from a harbor in Poland

post-11987-077551200 1301682334_thumb.jpg

Please hold your breath a moment and pay tribute to this elegant yacht. Low racey freeboard, airy superstructure, generously canvassed.

Not many a crew needed - to be placed in the foc´sle. As not to drive into this 2ktb they have a bumper ready at the stern.

Wow, that is quite something Knut!

But at least you have to admit it looks like the brightwork is well taken care of.

As not to drive into this 2ktb they have a bumper ready at the stern.

Two if you count the Zodiac..... (but, yes, count me as another vote for Knut winning this little contest)

I saw someone trying to sail this once.......it didn't look any better wet.

uglyboat1.JPG

There's a small, dark part of me that likes this boat.

This is the type of thing one lives on when one is a completely disaffected misanthrope. It sits in the cheapest marina way upriver, or by the water treatment plant or cannery, on a pier that nobody seems to own, and doesn't move except once every 3 - 4 years when he motors, laboriously, down the way to get a short haul for the bottom.

He has little use for anyone or anything and keeps to himself. He's evasive and distrusting, but polite enough if you don't ask prying questions. There's a rumor he worked for the government, "fixing" problems in far away places. He doesn't seem to work nowadays. Just spends most days fishing of the breakwater or walking into town to read in the library.

He feeds the 3-legged dog that hangs around, but says it's not his; it's just a stray.

If, after a few drinks at the wharf watering hole, you can get him to talk, he says simply that he likes it there because he lives on a boat on the water, and for as long as he can remember he liked the sound of the waves and the smell of low tide.

This is brilliant.

I think this guy hauled out next to me some years ago. Somewhat evasive about what he did. Went away on short notice for indeterminate periods. Had a hard but drop dead gorgeous girlfriend. Had a air of quiet confidence. Great to share a beer with but not in a hurry to share the details of his life.

I wondered where he ended up.

uglyboat1.JPG

This is the type of thing one lives on when one is a completely disaffected misanthrope. It sits in the cheapest marina way upriver, or by the water treatment plant or cannery, on a pier that nobody seems to own, and doesn't move except once every 3 - 4 years when he motors, laboriously, down the way to get a short haul for the bottom.

He has little use for anyone or anything and keeps to himself. He's evasive and distrusting, but polite enough if you don't ask prying questions. There's a rumor he worked for the government, "fixing" problems in far away places. He doesn't seem to work nowadays. Just spends most days fishing of the breakwater or walking into town to read in the library.

He feeds the 3-legged dog that hangs around, but says it's not his; it's just a stray.

If, after a few drinks at the wharf watering hole, you can get him to talk, he says simply that he likes it there because he lives on a boat on the water, and for as long as he can remember he liked the sound of the waves and the smell of low tide.

This is brilliant.

I think this guy hauled out next to me some years ago. Somewhat evasive about what he did. Went away on short notice for indeterminate periods. Had a hard but drop dead gorgeous girlfriend. Had a air of quiet confidence. Great to share a beer with but not in a hurry to share the details of his life.

I wondered where he ended up.

Oh please. It doesn't even qualify until there's grass growing on the decks.

Sorry, grow ops aren't legal here yet. That would be the next bay over.

Oh please. It doesn't even qualify until there's grass growing on the decks.

Do potted plant count?

post-61947-0-67759100-1355193928_thumb.jpg

I thought I had a winner yesterday when this buzzed by me:

uglycat1.jpg

uglycat2.jpg

But he was out on a boat on a beautiful day, so that's winning.

That reminds me of my neighbours boat, only that is is much more classy done.

Love it KD, but you missed something.

which, come to think of it, traipsed all over the continent too. The first time I was a kid;

All it really needs is a comma after first time, and everything's Kosher. And sadly I'm not.

Sheesh, and I'm usually the grammarian - might have been a touch of the PUI... Let me clarify - according to my wife, I have passed through childhood twice - the first time I was a kid, I progressed fairly normally; the second time (post marriage) I regressed to the age of 14 and remained there, with all the obsessions of that age and little to no baggage of previously achieved maturity. Learned some stuff along the way, but (hehheh,,,hehhehheh...Beavis voice) why lose the good parts? ;^)

if you had some cash to waste it would be worth getting a rigging survey just for laughs - "would you mind moseying up the ladder and check out the spreaders for me"

Oh, and currently for sale for a measly $10,000 AU.

She is in need of some TLC but will clean up ready to go cruising and is priced for a quick sale.

post-72500-0-86391400-1355218770_thumb.jpg

Here is another contender: Orient Spendor from a harbor in Poland

Please hold your breath a moment and pay tribute to this elegant yacht. Low racey freeboard, airy superstructure, generously canvassed.

Not many a crew needed - to be placed in the foc´sle. As not to drive into this 2ktb they have a bumper ready at the stern.

The outboard needs a longer shaft...

Well done, reads like J. Peterman copy.....when I get ready to sell my boat I'm hiring you!

uglyboat1.JPG

if you had some cash to waste it would be worth getting a rigging survey just for laughs - "would you mind moseying up the ladder and check out the spreaders for me"

She is in need of some TLC but will clean up ready to go cruising and is priced for a quick sale.

I want to mail the seller. Can you post the ad? I'm going to ask if there are any leaks.

I want to mail the seller. Can you post the ad? I'm going to ask if there are any leaks.

Sure - http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/endurance-cruising-cutter/120981

Its a quality looking hull eh :(, ferro at its finest !

uglycat1.jpg

uglycat2.jpg

He looks way to serious.

uglycat1.jpg

uglycat2.jpg

He looks way to serious.

Probably watching for obstacles. There can't be more than a few inches between his prop and the bottom in that location. I was pretty surprised by where he was able to go in that thing.

Another candidate for the ugly boat competition, I suppose, but I took this picture because that weird semi-circle dodger caught my eye.

semicircle-dodger.jpg

Probably watching for obstacles. There can't be more than a few inches between his prop and the bottom in that location. I was pretty surprised by where he was able to go in that thing.

Another candidate for the ugly boat competition, I suppose, but I took this picture because that weird semi-circle dodger caught my eye.

semicircle-dodger.jpg

That's Albin Vega, we've got them plenty here in Scandinavia. I think it's actually quite cute. Not as cute as Folkboat or IF, but not too bad at all.

That's Albin Viggen, we've got them plenty here in Scandinavia. I think it's actually quite cute. Not as cute as Folkboat or IF, but not too bad at all.

yes, i'd agree that not only looks functional but pretty cute. all in all i'd say not even trying for an ugly boat thread.

as a newbie to largish boats and this forum noticing the really odd has been a useful experience and i've been polluting this site with some fairly bad images and here's another one.

i especially like how he makes it look dangerous to douse a sail even on land...

post-72500-0-53360000-1355398565_thumb.jpg

post-72500-0-12279500-1355398660_thumb.jpg

semicircle-dodger.jpg

Really? That Albin would be one of my picks if I was heading across the Atlantic. May not be beautiful in a classic sense, but if you're in the form follows function club, this is a pretty nice boat.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Albin_Vega

I find the coachroof boxy and ugly. Doesn't mean it is not a good or even great boat. Just ugly IMO.

Admiring ugly boats is what this thread is about. Did I not make it clear that I'm a huge fan of ugly boats? ;)

Speaking of which, how have I neglected to post a picture of the Cowmaran in this thread? Let me correct that oversight...

cowmaran-creek-lg.jpg

Tom:

The cowmaran is a good looking boat. It has a noble presense.

Matter of taste, I suppose. I'm completely in love with the boat, but never thought it was very pretty. Possibly because I have seen some of the finish quality up close. ;)

I'll be sure to tell the owner you think it is noble. He'll get a kick out of that.

Tom:

I watched the vid. That is a great looking boat. It looks like it performs very well. How big are those outboards? I know you have covered this previously here but I wasn't paying attention then.