bljones

Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

Indeed, but it did manage to survive launching and it continues to float upright - unlike Flipper.

I'm sure its been mentioned, but those center-cockpit S2 9.1's are awfully ugly... but kinda cool in a way too. BTW, whats the word on the build quality on those fugly things?

I'm sure its been mentioned, but those center-cockpit S2 9.1's are awfully ugly... but kinda cool in a way too. BTW, whats the word on the build quality on those fugly things?

One of the better built fugly boats around. Sails better than they look too.

Cored hulls, so easy for PO induced neglect to turn into real nightmares, but if taken care of S2's are nice boats.

Cored hulls, so easy for PO induced neglect to turn into real nightmares, but if taken care of S2's are nice boats.

got it. thats about what i thought. and wtf is that bathtub thing in the head?

got it. thats about what i thought. and wtf is that bathtub thing in the head?
Heh, the molded in sitting shower stall...yeah its a wonder those didn't get copied and take off...

The aft cockpit versions weren't too much better in the looks department, this has been posted before.

main.jpg

That is the coolest houseboat inhouseboat a long time. Thanks for posting.

Looks like someone chopped and channeled the Flyin' Hawaiian. The name certainly suits it.

I admire the bridge deck clearance. The aft-most beam of the Cowmaran takes the top off of steep chop. The first time it happened while I was driving, I was sure I had hit a large log or something. We're going to design that feature out of the next one.

That one looks like he could hang the dink under the deck in pretty large and steep waves without getting it washed away.

I've seen some tiny engine spaces, but those take the cake. Gave me cramps just looking at it.

It may not have one. The Cowmaran has one, but to make the turn into his canal, the owner has to use differential thrust. We could really lock the engines straight and steer only with thrust. That's about all we do near docks anyway.

Mention of the Cowmaran always reminds me of the Bolger Bantam Trimaran:

Canal-1.jpg

The house is removeable. It would be more comparable to Cowmaran without it. I would guess that a cat is quicker to build than I tri. (What is that big blue thing behind it?)

22800d1214543752-catamaran-living-aboard

This Bolger Fishcat is in the "homemade Boston Whaler" category:

fishcat4_JPG_jpg_jpg.jpg

You won't believe this actually got built,

attachicon.gifBoice Boat.jpg

That boat looks like it was designed by a Sprint Car racer.

Pretty well built too by the look of it.

Actually I designed it to some sketches by a guy who was a fool for those jet boats that race up the Rouge RIver. Basically a Jet Ski on steroids with a Corvette V-8 hooked to a waterjet and those roll bars are there for a reason. They often get sideways and hit a gravel bar and roll over. The wings and concaves meant that the boat is more of an air cushion craft or a WIG (Wing in Ground Effect). I had serious concerns about tripping and insisted on beveled anti-trip chines but never got any report on how effective the concept was when it was eventually launched. We tried to sell the idea to the military as a drone boat design as the ride must have been incredibly harsh on a human pilot. I'm surprised the owner hasn't killed himself in the thing. Still hope for that though.

Can't see that roll cage being very effective. Unless upside-down on the beach. These things happen I know.

Can't see that roll cage being very effective. Unless upside-down on the beach. These things happen I know.

You mean like this:

You mean like this:

Zachary.

Has anybody brought this one up yet?

martini.gif

Interesting. How well does it steer around corners at speed?

martini.gif

That looks like Timmy the Tugboat out water skiing.

Has a nice suspension. :D

martini.gif

That looks like Timmy the Tugboat out water skiing.

watch his eyes. he looks kinda unsure.

Mystere 25, IMO the cabin line against the sheer would have made it ugly without the sheer rising aft.

post-72500-0-03555600-1414886822_thumb.jpg

Mystere 25, IMO the cabin line against the sheer would have made it ugly without the sheer rising aft.

attachicon.gif1_3-4.jpg

It looks like it's sailing with a limp.

attachicon.gif1_3-4.jpg

I'd name mine "Slice of Pie"

You could put a bunch of blocks on the front of the cabin, run your running rigging crossways through them and call it "adidas".

That's pretty ugly. What are we admiring about it?

Sorry, I missed that bit.

Well, it's got a nice interior for a 25'ter, with heaps of cup holders.

post-72500-0-43689000-1414922243_thumb.jpg

Plus apparently (according to the broker)

Designed by John Asop of Triton fame

Enclosed head

post-72500-0-44708400-1414922540_thumb.jpg

It's pretty cheap, it's listed at $14k but the last one sold was $9k make an offer.

Now that I think about it, it's likely near the next boat I'm going to end up with :blink:

Forgive me if in the next 6 months I post it up as mine in uglyboat with shoelaces on the cabin and a funky paint scheme.

Hmmm...

Nice headroom, ugly cabin from the outside. Normal stuff.

The really exceptionally ugly part, as you mentioned, is the bump in sheer aft.

I wonder what's admirable about that?

Hmmm...

Nice headroom, ugly cabin from the outside. Normal stuff.

The really exceptionally ugly part, as you mentioned, is the bump in sheer aft.

I wonder what's admirable about that?

Ah, last chance of stopping the water coming down the low companionway ??? Is that admirable ???

post-72500-0-01774300-1414923404_thumb.jpg

Looks like you can sit next to the winch without having some damn barrier under your thighs. I admire that.

I struck gold.

A Duckworks guy on Facebook is building this.

5.jpg

No, really, the frames are up. He has pics, so it happened.

The thing is, you really have to visit his site:

http://maniehjbotha.wordpress.com/

And scroll down to the post about Famous Small Boats, or just click the link.

There's abundant material for this thread.

Winning.

mermaid420b.jpg

Just in case I have to point out what's to admire: it's so insanely ugly that it's cute! I admire that.

Weebles wooble but they won't sail up!

Anytime a design has big eyes it is inherently cute, although the practicality part of the equation is confusing me.

Is it like the 6' thing in the coolboats thread where we admire the amount of sailing hardware / square foot ?

I admire ... the raised companionway? Maybe the visibility of the giant running lights on the cabinsides? The, um, distinctiveness of the wraparound window? The seller's optimism that someone might dispose of this for him AND give him money? Gotta be something admirable.

Link

00H0H_bQVQeZ4iUp5_600x450.jpg

00s0s_5CQtp4IJyhM_600x450.jpg

I admire ... the raised companionway? Maybe the visibility of the giant running lights on the cabinsides? The, um, distinctiveness of the wraparound window? The seller's optimism that someone might dispose of this for him AND give him money? Gotta be something admirable.

Link

Bilge keels are useful if you want to sit around and wait for the tide to return. A bit draggy though.

Link

It has a nice bow pulpit

FB- Doug

I get the impression that design *could've* worked. It could have.

Is it me, or did the designer of the house figure out the curve of his surf board and build to that?

Slice the "house" off to the rail and you'd have a pretty nice beach cat.

Posted this over on Westerly Anarchy as technically the shape and sheer of the Oceanlord whilst not upsetting to horses or the elderly will invariably upset many when its available in this 'custom' finish:

4811128_20140910055652811_1_XLARGE.jpg

ergo, ugly boat.

Is it me, or did the designer of the house figure out the curve of his surf board and build to that?

Could be… the boat looks like a surfer's inter island surfing conveyance.

This was pretty creative,

390421_1.jpg

Is that sail sewn around the mast? Looks like a gaff boom on the pile. Got any pics of it sailing?

Should put it in a playground somewhere.

Ocean Star Custom Trawler for sale, and this baby can be yours for only $64,500!

Info from the listing:
Where do I start. Do you want to be the talk of your Marina?

HOW MANY BOATS HAVE A SPIRAL STAIRCASE?

This custom built trawler is as unique as they come.

Built by a Commercial Yard for Extended Cruising.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993/Ocean-Star-Custom-Trawler-2716678/Indiantown/FL/United-States

You can be pretty well assured, that if you buy this boat, you'll be the talk of your marina.

post-106106-0-25117600-1416343721_thumb.jpg

post-106106-0-05309400-1416343728_thumb.jpg

post-106106-0-95557200-1416343735_thumb.jpg

"You can be pretty well assured, that if you buy this boat, you'll be the talk of your marina."

I bet.

Here, this one's much, much better.

http://www.seamarineco.com/brokerage/pisces/

117.jpg

Actually, I kind of like it. Tugboat on the outside, but with a fancy interior.

"You can be pretty well assured, that if you buy this boat, you'll be the talk of your marina."

I bet.

117.jpg

We toured it last year at the boat show. It was really pretty amazing in so many ways. The one place it fell down was a lack of a social area, or main salon. Aside from that, it's a pretty well found boat with a quality design.

Ocean Star Custom Trawler for sale, and this baby can be yours for only $64,500!

Info from the listing:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993/Ocean-Star-Custom-Trawler-2716678/Indiantown/FL/United-States

You can be pretty well assured, that if you buy this boat, you'll be the talk of your marina.

Gadzooks! a tub!

4701210_20140502135321470_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

I've seen those attempts at a tub on a boat before and always wondered "Why?".

I don't even want a tub ashore, only showers.

Info from the listing:

Gadzooks! a tub!

4701210_20140502135321470_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

Just imagine trying to relax in that tub with the smell from that head so close to your nostrils. YUK!

I've seen those attempts at a tub on a boat before and always wondered "Why?".

I don't even want a tub ashore, only showers.

The head is handy to sit the cheese plate and champagne on… classy.

It automatically detaches in emergency and acts as an individual life boat. Complete with cheese and wine.

Ocean Star Custom Trawler for sale, and this baby can be yours for only $64,500!Info from the listing:

I like the curve of the bow.

Also the odd angle of the throttle on the inside control station.

But not the spiral stairs nor the tub. The only possible answer to Sloop John's question about it is, "because she wanted it and wouldn't let me build the boat without it." Which is a perfectly good answer.

The ad belongs in mocking ads for the lack of detail in the "full specs" and especially for all the junk laying around in the pics. The guy was a surveyor. Taking survey pics with a power cord and tangle of rope on a bunk is OK. Taking sales pics like that is not.

The little trawler would be a hoot just because it would piss a lot of people off. Even though it's 6 and a half gallons of shit in a 5 gallon bucket, it's so awful it's wonderful.

The little trawler would be a hoot just because it would piss a lot of people off. Even though it's 6 and a half gallons of shit in a 5 gallon bucket, it's so awful it's wonderful.

It would be lots of wonderful until you fell down that staircase. Can you imagine trying to get down that spiral with that pig rolling in the waves?

It would be lots of wonderful until you fell down that staircase. Can you imagine trying to get down that spiral with that pig rolling in the waves?

Hell I wouldn't dare go in the pilot house in any sort of cross sea. Looks like the stove is up there too, beware the boiling teapot.

Just needs a firemen pole.

I bet.

117.jpg

We toured it last year at the boat show. It was really pretty amazing in so many ways. The one place it fell down was a lack of a social area, or main salon. Aside from that, it's a pretty well found boat with a quality design.

Nice.

I bet.

117.jpg

We saw it at the show as well. It definitely has a yar factor and an interesting mix of new and used equipment. I agree with the lack of common area. There was rust on the rails which makes me question attention to detail. It was built by-for an artist IIRC.

New space saving nav station combined head, perfect for posting on Sailing Anarchy.

Someone giving you the shits? Want to write some shit? Or just when you want to tell someone you really give a shit.

Do it all sitting on your crapper in the new nav head !

(patent pending)

post-72500-0-10258800-1416438290_thumb.jpg

post-72500-0-31136800-1416438344_thumb.jpg

New space saving nav station combined head, perfect for posting on Sailing Anarchy.

Someone giving you the shits? Want to write some shit? Or just when you want to tell someone you really give a shit.

Do it all sitting on your crapper in the new nav head in your piece of shit !

(patent pending)

attachicon.gif11_3.jpg

attachicon.gif4_3.jpg

Finished it for you.

Info from the listing:

Looks kinda like "flopper" jr., as I recall the mighty flopper was "professionally" built too. Better order some stability tests, especially when the 350 lb. owner climbs to the crows nest.

Info from the listing:

Looks kinda like "flopper" jr., as I recall the mighty flopper was "professionally" built too. Better order some stability tests, especially when the 350 lb. owner climbs to the crows nest.

Actually, I didn't see the crows nest when I first looked at the ad. I suppose the "allure" of this boat was too overwhelming to notice the details.

"Thirty plus years onboard different makes and models of vessels enables input not known by most sales individuals. This background along with his strong desire to satisfy his clients,"

Sounds like a stud for hire. "Input not known by most" "Strong desire to satisfy his clients".

It's a front.

Do it all sitting on your crapper in the new nav head !

(patent pending)

attachicon.gif11_3.jpg

attachicon.gif4_3.jpg

Truly, a top ten find.

the Radar looks in the way of the boom. The shear line has a strange work boat-like drop to it.

I like the view forward from the outside helm station.

4701210_20140502135217888_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

View forward isn't bad, but it's like old-school schooner driving: backwards.

4701210_20140502135105137_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/chinderah/other-boats-jet-skis/converted-river-boat/1062101835

Here's one from downunder. 18ft trailer sailor converted to "river boat"

• Previously 18ft Griffin Trailor/Sailor.
  • 2 bunks & kitchen.
  • 5 horse power, air cooled motor.
  • Suitable for calm water, creek and river (no keel).
  • Great for some summer fun.
  • Asking price $2,500

I can see why they added that disclaimer!

$_20.JPG

OK, the trailer looks good and I admire that, but you're really making this hard.

That one is a much better subject for "Mocking Ads" IMO.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/chinderah/other-boats-jet-skis/converted-river-boat/1062101835

Here's one from downunder. 18ft trailer sailor converted to "river boat"

• Previously 18ft Griffin Trailor/Sailor.
  • 2 bunks & kitchen.
  • 5 horse power, air cooled motor.
  • Suitable for calm water, creek and river (no keel).
  • Great for some summer fun.
  • Asking price $2,500

I can see why they added that disclaimer!

$_20.JPG

What is it that we're supposed to admire, again?

Nice trailer

Freedom from conventional bourgeois aesthetic

Not dangerously over powered

A while back I proposed that we, as a society, solve the problem of useless ugly boats by digging a gigantic hole and buying them. Take that, Mr "Fiberglass Is Forever" !! But I suspect that it's an uneconomical solution, maybe if we use the boats to store medical waste then bury them, or something.

FB- Doug