Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

Don't tell him!

But Happy Birthday!

United

Angry

Sailing

Hugonauts

Order

It's an obscure organization. Illuminati stuff. Happy Birthday!

How to take one former RTW racer, and turn it into who knows what...

Formally known as FORMULE TAG/ENZA NEW ZEALAND/ROYAL & SUN ALLIANCE

Here is a link to the boat's history
http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire%20des%2060%20ORMA/Formule%20TAG.htm

2013%2011%2017%20Lorient,%20TAG%201.jpg

Are the windmill type things used to chop-up crew for dinner, or maybe to chop them up for bait?
2013%2009%2022%20LO%20octopus.jpg

Do they do this?

To me they look like they just spin like they are now.

A "machine" translation for the "windmills"

The boat should sail in 2014 for a world tour of several years , powered only by wind means via two electric motors.

Hopefully, they won't have Dr. Paris aboard as their electrician.

I fail to see the point. Surely just having sails would be more efficient.

Can someone explain how those two little(ish) wind generators are going to provide enough energy with the added losses of storage, engine and prop to make that thing travel for days?

Anyway, it certainly belongs in this thread and I suppose we can admire what it once was.

I fail to see the point. Surely just having sails would be more efficient.

Can someone explain how those two little(ish) wind generators are going to provide enough energy with the added losses of storage, engine and prop to make that thing travel for days?

Anyway, it certainly belongs in this thread and I suppose we can admire what it once was.

Given a Rimas ocean, it will work fine. Given the real world, what are the chances of getting off a lee shore in a gale? Zero.

Reminds me of that boat the Cousteau Society built with two giant turbines standing on it. IIRC, the good news: it could sail directly upwind. The bad news, it couldn't sail all that well and used diesel quite a bit to actually move around. The other bad news: sails make a LOT less noise than those turbines.

Hey Tom, is this ugly?

I'm not sure.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4773436606.html

36' Catamaran - $35000 - $35000 (Santa Barbara)

00X0X_2b5GTBhKmH3_600x450.jpg
00E0E_aWneqvhnKuG_600x450.jpg
00707_j5i2jipQ2aW_600x450.jpg
00D0D_gNjA5VeWNj1_600x450.jpg
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map) (yahoo map)

condition: goodsize / dimensions: 36' x 22'

Podcat 36

all composite, vacuum-bagged
carbon fiber freestanding rotating mast
2 Honda 50 hp engines less than 25 hrs
3DL North Sails in very good condition
demounts to street legal trailer (included)

see video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_8BQVSKheQ

Hey Tom, is this ugly?

I'm not sure.

(google map) (yahoo map)

Podcat 36

Interesting video, I've never had a meal of bread and uncooked peppers. Doesn't sound yummy to me.

This boat would be way cool if that hole in the stern was an opening for a jet exhaust, ala the BatBoat.

Captain Kirk! His boats have been featured on this thread before. This boat did have some interesting features, in particular a freestanding spar which was quite and accomplishment for a catamaran. Not sure it will sell for that price though.

Yeah, it's ugly, but there is a lot to admire. I liked the movable jib tack.

Twin 50 hp engines? That's odd.

Yeah, it's ugly, but there is a lot to admire. I liked the movable jib tack.

Twin 50 hp engines? That's odd.

No, that's even.

Hey Tom, is this ugly?

I'm not sure.

(google map) (yahoo map)

Podcat 36

I'm voting cool for that.

Appart from the price, that's just silly.

For ardent petrosexuals over here in the UK we have TV show called ‘Top Gear’ hosted by Clarkson, May and Hammond… the hamster…

Thanks to BBC (Beeb) America some of you over the pond there will no doubt be familiar too with the format.

One classic episode saw them converting cars to float…

Here's a real podcat as comparison.

5_3.jpg

That's way too nice looking for this thread

Indeed. I just thought it fair to post as comparison.

For ardent petrosexuals over here in the UK we have TV show called ‘Top Gear’ hosted by Clarkson, May and Hammond… the hamster…

Thanks to BBC (Beeb) America some of you over the pond there will no doubt be familiar too with the format.

That's Jeremy, James and Richard, but you forgot the most important member of the team...........STIG!!

I like this girl.

One of the best TG episodes was Clarkson trying to kill a rusty old diesel Toyota pickup. What that thing withstood and still ran had to be seen to be believed. At one point it was left on a ramp, submerged and washed away by the 30' tides in the Bristol Channel. Once it was found and recovered it was drained of seawater - only tools allowed, no parts - and it started right up. They finally resorted to putting it on top of a high rise building slated for demo - it rode the collapsing building down and was buried. When they recovered it it couldn't move well because the suspension was bent but it fired right up.

Absolutely indestructible.

It has a well earned place of honour hanging over the TG stage set.

I always wished there were boating versions of Top Gear, This Old House, and House Hunters.

There are more than a few ardent petrosexuals here in the new world who View regularly. Top Gear is old news

I like this girl.

One of the best TG episodes was Clarkson trying to kill a rusty old diesel Toyota pickup. What that thing withstood and still ran had to be seen to be believed. At one point it was left on a ramp, submerged and washed away by the 30' tides in the Bristol Channel. Once it was found and recovered it was drained of seawater - only tools allowed, no parts - and it started right up. They finally resorted to putting it on top of a high rise building slated for demo - it rode the collapsing building down and was buried. When they recovered it it couldn't move well because the suspension was bent but it fired right up.

Absolutely indestructible.

It has a well earned place of honour hanging over the TG stage set.

You have to admit the best series was when they drove the hopped up trucks to the North Pole. I honestly thought they were going to die. The gin and tonics were a sporty start.

That one was hilarious. I loved the bit where he rolled it in the background of the BBC garden show.

How did a car that stupid ever get into production? How can there be people in the car business that don't realize a 3 wheeler has to have the single wheel in the BACK?

my favorite is the bus racing episode. Man I'd love to be in that lineup!

Yeah, I don't know how everyone survived that either.

That North Pole trek had them going to the MAGNETIC POLE, which is not quite as cool as the geographic North Pole, but a very entertaining episode nevertheless.

Trying to kill the HiLux diesel PU truck was the very best episode hands down, which says much given all of the other amazing entertainment coming out of TG.

Merely a desultory attempt at reproducing American redneck figure eight trailer racing.

Here's a real podcat as comparison.

5_3.jpg

That's way too nice looking for this thread

Excellent pedigree...... ;)

*I always wished there were boating versions of Top Gear*

Over here in the UK, there kinda was, a few years back… another Beeb produced show….

Twas called ‘Three Men in a Boat’ - and became a hit series - starring Dara O'Briain, Rory McGrath and...grumpy-shouty Cap’n Griff Rhys Jones. Perhaps it should have been renamed Three mad, bad and dangerous to know Celt's in a boat?

Sadly sailing on telly in the UK isn’t a mainstream popular choice at all, in fact… doesn’t even make the broadsheet newspaper sport sections either? The only way I got to see the AC racing was by watching the live links via the YouTube channel….

And we wonder why the sport in a real sense is dying?

But back on topic….

While sailing in Rogaland, up there in Norway, during Easter… July and then October… around Stavanger you’d see these things… rig supply ships…

Statoil-Hires-Two-PSVs-from-Blue-Ship-In

Aircraft equivalent being!?!

SuperGuppy-F-BPPA.jpg

Those are ugly!!

Of course the guy with the long, skinny, elegant boat would say that! ^_^ Remember, form follows function. If I had to go out in the North Sea in any weather, any time of the year, that blue boat starts to look pretty nice.

Well, since the fucking Reliant Robin has been introduced to the mix, here is the ugly alternative I need to own- note placement of wheels:

Hey Tom, is this ugly?

I'm not sure.

© craigslist - Map data © [/size]OpenStreetMap

(google map) (yahoo map)

condition: good[/size][/size]size / dimensions: 36' x 22'[/size][/size]

Podcat 36

Looks like the bastard offspring of a jetski (or maybe a coffin) and a beach cat, or like an escape pod drove up the ass of a large cat and they said 'leave it there'. The big podcat is cool, this mini version... not so much.

Not sure whether the Argonauta 26 has been covered in these august pages. If not, here's the Podcat's tri-hulled sibling :

picargonauta26101a.jpg

That center hull looks like it came from the early Cooper school of design.

post-95343-0-85255600-1417893898_thumb.jpg

Not sure whether the Argonauta 26 has been covered in these august pages. If not, here's the Podcat's tri-hulled sibling :

picargonauta26101a.jpg

I find that boat so off to my eye it hurts.

No, John Cooper - the first mid engine GP car

picargonauta26101a.jpg

I find that boat so off to my eye it hurts.

Looks like too little in the way of hulls for that much stuff, doesn't it?

The layout is backward to us. Cockpits go behind cabins, not in front of them.

It makes sense. The narrow bow doesn't get wide enough to be a useful cabin space for several feet. The aft cabin starts wide and stays that way. The forward cockpit is good for visibility.

It's always that quest for headroom that really flips the ugly switch. But this thread is all about doing something different because it might be better, even though it might be ugly.

I wonder if it could be shoved off a beach? That would be truly admirable. ;)

The Argonauta is Dick Newick design, IIRC. I forget what I ever knew about the design brief.

You do remember correctly. It was built by Tremolino (John Olin, RIP 2002). It is swing wing . The aft cabin does give it headroom, a larger double berth and tiny galley. I think the idea was to get more accommodation. Being a Newick fan I checked one out thoroughly once many years ago. The forward cockpit has a few advantages i.e. good forward visibility, easy access to mast and daggerboard trunk. But, for me, the disadvantages are too many, i.e. wet and exposed, poor visibility aft. impossible to go aft for stern anchor, check the rudder, the ob is right next to you in the cockpit which would be very noisy. I think there were only 3 or 4 built.

The ama molds were used for the Outrigger 26 trip designed by Newick and built in Chicago. It is a much prettier boat.

post-35821-0-54198400-1417989143_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing that the price qualifies it as a "yacht." But meh - wake me when you can drive it around town.

Here is a motor-cruiser for your pleasure... Well the owner liked it enough to build it.

post-106106-0-22208200-1418079065_thumb.jpg

One more...

imagejpg1_zpsb8ddfddf.jpg

It will probably never be stolen, her anti theft qualities are admirable.

Earthrace (aka Ady Gil) rests on the bottom of the Southern Ocean somewhere on the way towards Antarctica.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MY_Ady_Gil

Ady_Gil_2.jpg

Marketing line: "Wouldn't you want to be seen in an Iguana?"

great dinghy for a mega-yacht

Nobody expects you to "get beyond" the dodger but you might like to know how that came about before adding more stupid comments.

Here is the boat as I designed it.

YONIdeckpl_zpseb6b17f0.jpg

Yoni-stb-1-123-thumb-400x286-369_zps5d08

The original owner sold the boat to a Canadian commercial pilot. The pilot insisted on a full headroom hard dodger. I told him not to do it. Eric Jespersen told him not to do it. The Pilot's wife told him not to do it. He did it anyway. Just as the dodger was finished the pilot sufferred a massive stroke and never used the boat again. Before being critical with a feature it is best to know exactly what the parameters were that lead to what you are seeing. " It's too high!" Well, you may be 5'2" QBF but this client was 6' tall and he wanted standing headroom. I worked hard with Jespersens to make this dodger work. It worked. But I prefer my original design.

No issues on the dodger with me - I like being warm - sailing in a cold place will do that to you. Are those twin genoas on furlers up front, I assume for downwind work?

major bummer on the stroke.

Knowing I'm still healthy has me doing some things now that it might be more "prudent" for me to wait to do. But then I don't know if I'd ever get to do it.

One of our potential boat partners backed out due to health reasons, he wishes he had done this 5 years ago. I don't want to be that guy.

Flasher:

Yes, it was a very sad situation. The guy went from being very active to having this horrendous stroke. He simply could not even think of operating the boat himself again. The dodger does everything it was asked to do. It just spoils the look of the boat. The irony is there is already inside steering as I designed the boat. I thunk the boat is for sale now. They might stand a better chance of selling it if they took the dodger off.

Benford 30 for sale.

main.jpg

Apologies to Blondie Hasler, but you can tell a boat is owned by a nutter when it has a junk rig. Be afraid.

Jay Benford did not draw that cabin trunk. That I know for certain.

Another owner "improvement"?

There was a time when I had a possibly morbid fascination with steel boats. Maybe it was just because they were less uniform than FG boats. I looked at just about every steel boat under 100' feet on Yachtworld. A lot of them had knotty pine paneling. I figured it was easy and cheap for folks who built out the cabin themselves.

It's not the kind of thing that looks good in photographs.

Flasher:

Yes, it was a very sad situation. The guy went from being very active to having this horrendous stroke. He simply could not even think of operating the boat himself again. The dodger does everything it was asked to do. It just spoils the look of the boat. The irony is there is already inside steering as I designed the boat. I thunk the boat is for sale now. They might stand a better chance of selling it if they took the dodger off.

It looks like the forward lower shrouds are not wire, but solid spars. Is that what I'm seeing?

That dodger is profoundly ugly. If the boat were mine, I'd instruct people to look in a different direction if they did not like it. If I wanted to sell it, I'd cut it off.

imagejpg1_zps69acb199.jpg

imagejpg2_zps62bfba40.jpg

I haven't seen this posted. I have to admire the guy for following his dream.

I love this, all terrain and no sea to rough or no muff too tough, I must have one!

Nobody expects you to "get beyond" the dodger but you might like to know how that came about before adding more stupid comments.

Here is the boat as I designed it.

YONIdeckpl_zpseb6b17f0.jpg

Yoni-stb-1-123-thumb-400x286-369_zps5d08

The original owner sold the boat to a Canadian commercial pilot. The pilot insisted on a full headroom hard dodger. I told him not to do it. Eric Jespersen told him not to do it. The Pilot's wife told him not to do it. He did it anyway. Just as the dodger was finished the pilot sufferred a massive stroke and never used the boat again. Before being critical with a feature it is best to know exactly what the parameters were that lead to what you are seeing. " It's too high!" Well, you may be 5'2" QBF but this client was 6' tall and he wanted standing headroom. I worked hard with Jespersens to make this dodger work. It worked. But I prefer my original design.

A very hansom yacht, too bad about the owner's lack of taste, like the original a lot.

Yes, twin poles. It was an amazing boat before an idiot suggested changes.

Despite the fact that it ruined the appearance of your design, I like that ugly dodger. I'm also 6' tall and also hate bumping my head. He gave up a bit of windward performance and a lot of good looks for comfort and usablility, both BIG things for me.

Very sorry he never got to use it.

But it should go away now. I'm probably the only person who might buy it and I'm not in the market.

imagejpg1_zps69acb199.jpg

imagejpg2_zps62bfba40.jpg

I haven't seen this posted. I have to admire the guy for following his dream.

I love this, all terrain and no sea to rough or no muff too tough, I must have one!

I wonder whether the tracks work as bumpers when they are in the retracted position.

Like all amphibians, what's the point (*)? A bad car, & a compromised boat. I can see it might be useful for getting dowager aunts who don't want to get at all wet ashore onto a gently shelving beach, but other than that it looks like a solution looking for a problem.

* Outside this. This made sense, in a world where bridges were getting blown up.

DUKW.image2.army.jpg

I could use one of those up here on the Res today Ed. Rivers are flooding and we have a big high tide this morning. I want one.

Amphibious transport is fun!

IMG_5921.JPG

* Outside this. This made sense, in a world where bridges were getting blown up.

DUKW.image2.army.jpg

That's exactly what I thought about when I saw the Iguana - could it be developed into a useful military vehicle? Or have helos and other technology rendered the whole concept obsolete?

I have a friend that has worked on developing one-man submarines for the stealth coastal landings. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to add the capability for the thing to keep going. They'll try anything. DARPA hard. The amount of money the military throws at developing real world James Bond kind of stuff is mind boggling.

Not so much a fan of The Ducks here in Seattle. I'm all for people having fun but these vehicles have significant issues with how they operate. Among them are:

* Driver is also the entertainment. So, instead of just trying to pilot an ex-military vehicle, they are also turning around, changing hats, leading songs, etc. They should have two people on this car/boat; one to *operate the vehicle safely* and one to entertain the people on board.

* A couple years ago, at 3rd and Pike, a Duck *ran completely over* a motorcyclist that was sitting in front of the vehicle at the stoplight. The bike was there when the driver pulled up. The driver *forgot* and, when the light turned green, he (possibly in the act of switching hats for the next musical number) simply mowed the rider down. The Ducks now have mirrors on the front so they don't mow down innocent people. (yes, that was inflammatory but, I'm a 35 year motorcyclist and I think this was the height of negligent driving and stupidity).

* The vehicles are not built, nor suited, for driving in congested cities. The drivers (when they are not distracted) have limited visibility. The Ducks are very wide, very tall and have absolutely none, nada, zero, bumpers suitable for smashing into other cars.

* The company used to regularly dominate a *public* boat launch ramp. They'd place a "safety" employee there to *block other boaters from using the public ramp* so their vehicles can stay on schedule. This is a private taking of public accommodations.

* In addition, it would be nice if the vehicle operators could keep the thing on the correct side of the double yellow where Stone Way turns into North Northlake way. Oncoming traffic would appreciate it. If you can't operate your vehicle in traffic -- park it.

I'm all for fun. I've ridden on one once. People have fun on them. I like the quacky sounds the kids make.

At the same time, they are operated in a manner that is unsafe, reckless and presumes to have rights over other boaters in this city.

"A hazard to navigation, on both land and sea." -- me

imagejpg1_zps0431b43d.jpg

imagejpg2_zps06856930.jpg

"The asymmetrical design is sculptural in appearance while practically affording more seating accommodations. In a sense, the bespoke boat is as much a work of art as a Cisitalia sports car in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York. The idea is to think of vessels and vehicles as highly individualistic expressions of art, architecture and design reflecting the edge of what is possible using the most advanced means, including materials, software systems and methods of fabrication."

"Bespoke boat"? They spent a lot of time on the design statement anyway.

I am not into cubism but considering the design and speaking of ducks I think I found the perfect skipper for this boat:

post-25831-0-93077900-1418238595_thumb.jpg

Not so much a fan of The Ducks here in Seattle. I'm all for people having fun but these vehicles have significant issues with how they operate. Among them are:

* Driver is also the entertainment. So, instead of just trying to pilot an ex-military vehicle, they are also turning around, changing hats, leading songs, etc. They should have two people on this car/boat; one to *operate the vehicle safely* and one to entertain the people on board.

* A couple years ago, at 3rd and Pike, a Duck *ran completely over* a motorcyclist that was sitting in front of the vehicle at the stoplight. The bike was there when the driver pulled up. The driver *forgot* and, when the light turned green, he (possibly in the act of switching hats for the next musical number) simply mowed the rider down. The Ducks now have mirrors on the front so they don't mow down innocent people. (yes, that was inflammatory but, I'm a 35 year motorcyclist and I think this was the height of negligent driving and stupidity).

* The vehicles are not built, nor suited, for driving in congested cities. The drivers (when they are not distracted) have limited visibility. The Ducks are very wide, very tall and have absolutely none, nada, zero, bumpers suitable for smashing into other cars.

* The company used to regularly dominate a *public* boat launch ramp. They'd place a "safety" employee there to *block other boaters from using the public ramp* so their vehicles can stay on schedule. This is a private taking of public accommodations.

* In addition, it would be nice if the vehicle operators could keep the thing on the correct side of the double yellow where Stone Way turns into North Northlake way. Oncoming traffic would appreciate it. If you can't operate your vehicle in traffic -- park it.

I'm all for fun. I've ridden on one once. People have fun on them. I like the quacky sounds the kids make.

At the same time, they are operated in a manner that is unsafe, reckless and presumes to have rights over other boaters in this city.

I know what you mean Black. Those ducks turn off of highway 99 and immediately take a right turn to head to the lake down the street next to my daughter's apartment. They take the turn fast so the passengers get a thrill as the drop over the edge. They come around the corner so fast and unexpectedly that I am afraid of getting hit as I back out of the parking lot.

I know what you mean Black. Those ducks turn off of highway 99 and immediately take a right turn to head to the lake down the street next to my daughter's apartment. They take the turn fast so the passengers get a thrill as the drop over the edge. They come around the corner so fast and unexpectedly that I am afraid of getting hit as I back out of the parking lot.

I know exactly what road you are talking about. That's 39th and Stone. I once followed a Duck all the way to the ramp to talk to them about blowing a stop sign, right in front of Kerry, who was driving our car at the time. I had a nice, long, involved (you could tell he wanted the conversation to end but I was determined to be very clear and burn a *lot* of his time) discussion with their "safety officer" directing their Ducks in front of other vehicles waiting to load on the ramp.

No, not a fan as they are operated presently.

Like all amphibians, what's the point (*)? A bad car, & a compromised boat. I can see it might be useful for getting dowager aunts who don't want to get at all wet ashore onto a gently shelving beach, but other than that it looks like a solution looking for a problem.

DUKW.image2.army.jpg

When I was a kid, a guy had one set up as a stock truck. He ran cattle on islands in the Columbia. Construction of the interstate highway blocked his access. So he'd potter down the highway with four or six cows in the back and down a gated ramp that they'd left for him, and across the river.

It's easy for me to forget absolutely nothing. :)

Good Grief:

stock-photo-specialized-mussel-fishing-h

I wonder if we will see this thing on Deadliest Catch next season.

slide-3.jpg

I had a run in with one these fuckwits at a Southport the boat ramp on the spit. The wanker thinks he owns the water and the ramp. The boat is fugly!

We get a similar thing happening here - water taxis that think they own the government docks. They're such assholes about it that it makes you want to block them just on general principles.