bljones

Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

Greetings from the Dominican Rep’

Many moons ago neigh decades….when I was a leggy, idealistic young upstart, (still have the legs) I trained in art & design and as American’s might say… I majored in ‘sculpture’ ....I was deemed promising in it enough and through my tutor was lucky enough to meet and talk through working as an acolyte of one fellow artisan englishman named Henry Moore.

Why might you ask is this at all relevant? I guess it’s a case of form, function, sometimes trounced by left-field feel.

Think different, i.e. ugly can be good…. with wheels this comes to mind.

e634Zsq.jpg

And in a nauti sense, not that I’m a big fan of things only powered by oil&gas atop our oceans... the honed majesty of carved wood, in my mind’s eye is hard to beat.

RyvH8oc.jpg

http://www.artofkinetik.com/

Finally, without boring you guys too much further, I’ve only ever seen, close-up and personal one superyacht that drew gasps when it parked up on the outside harbour wall at Ύδρα….

TWnFRUG.jpg

Digging deeper, (yep I like to know stuff) I was not surprised to find out that it was penned by Foster & Partners… There were three yachts built all named Ocean-n-thingamajig … A year or so later when I was lurking down there on a Benne 1st 44.7 in Turkey, two of said craft were lying in Marmaris for the winter make-overs, so I was able to get aboard one for a looksee…

(The legs come in handy for that kinda trick)… no not the TITS!!

The full length rear stairwell gives them a unique party posing space, I’m guessing if you opt for a superyacht, subtly isn’t going to be kinda top of your agenda… ?!?

It’s all about the show and tell…

Toodle-pip, one has a mojito awaiting, yes i know I'm not in Ku'bah…. ;)

Hey, you are older than I imagined if you hung around Henry Moore while he was still alive.

That's what I was thinking - about 20 or 30 years older.

Good enough for hanging around with Henry Moore - we may just have a new design guru on this august site.

There's one up the road from me. I was thinking cabin on the Allegheny River. It's brown.

I struck gold.

A Duckworks guy on Facebook is building this.

5.jpg

No, really, the frames are up. He has pics, so it happened.

The thing is, you really have to visit his site:

http://maniehjbotha.wordpress.com/

And scroll down to the post about Famous Small Boats, or just click the link.

There's abundant material for this thread.

Winning.

mermaid420b.jpg

Just in case I have to point out what's to admire: it's so insanely ugly that it's cute! I admire that.

Indeed Tom.

https://maniehjbotha.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/2-yankeegirl-museum.jpg

https://maniehjbotha.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/apr-fool.jpg

What causes people to expend so much time & energy building that sort of absurd crap?

Is it a diet deficiency?

What causes people to expend so much time & energy building that sort of absurd crap?

Is it a diet deficiency?

Bad wiring.

Is it a diet deficiency?

Bad wiring.

I see you all are trying to settle the old "nature vs nurture" argument. Well it's inconclusive AFAIK -but- I will say that if some guy wants to build a tiny space capsule boat and rocket himself into orbit sail across an ocean, then the world would do best to stand back and let him try.

Some mysterious force is at work here!

FB- Doug

Is it a diet deficiency?

+1

Sometimes the crap just works.

skypic04-19_sk12.jpg

mermaid420b.jpg

That could have had a hull almost 50% longer without actually being any longer overall. Which would have made it better in every way possible and probably have not cost any more.

I still do not understand the what the point is. Its does not seem to be cost related. I saw a German guy in the Marquesas rock up in a 20 footer. It was a solid well designed boat, but WHY? I bet it was worth much more than say one of the 100s of 30 something footers pretty much abandoned in every marina.

Is it a diet deficiency?

Looking to set 3m micro records? Atleast that is something of a sane goal.

I get flak from guys at the dock all the time because I regularly out fish the powerboat guys paddling a kayak miles offshore chasing salmon. I'd be lying if I said there isn't a certain "F YOU!" middle finger satisfaction to doing the most with the least.

Is it a diet deficiency?

I get flak from guys at the dock all the time because I regularly out fish the powerboat guys paddling a kayak miles offshore chasing salmon. I'd be lying if I said there isn't a certain "F YOU!" middle finger satisfaction to doing the most with the least.

Agreed but if your kayak cost as much or more than the fishing boats and took as much time to build while producing lesser performance, would you really be doing the most with the least or would you just be being perverse?

Is it a diet deficiency?

Agreed but if your kayak cost as much or more than the fishing boats and took as much time to build while producing lesser performance, would you really be doing the most with the least or would you just be being perverse?

If, If, If...well, yeah. One could hypothetical out of that argument. :)

My used 13.5 kayak cost me $500.00, with paddles, skirt and paddles.

Is it a diet deficiency?

Oh oh, I sense a moral high ground argument coming soon.

Is it a diet deficiency?

Not at all - I agree with Dilli re: his kayak fishing - good on him for doing more with less. My point was that bizarre little sailboat WASN'T doing more with less, it was doing less with more - hence my comment.

Not at all - I agree with Dilli re: his kayak fishing - good on him for doing more with less. My point was that bizarre little sailboat WASN'T doing more with less, it was doing less with more - hence my comment.

My point exactly.

Is it a diet deficiency?

I'm pretty sure shooting for some 3m records was the seed that germinated into that...not exactly the first time arbitrary rule measures led to an eyesore of a boat.

And strictly speaking, my "kayak" is actually a 16'LOA 40lb Kevlar decked canoe. My VHF handle on Lake Ontario with the salmon fishing crowd is "Speed Bump", the kayak fishing crowd shun me because its not a Hobie...but with a single blade it trucks along at 4kts all day. Passing the 4ktsb weekend warrior can racing fleet becalmed with a big salmon tail sticking out of the cooler...kinda priceless.

imagejpg1_zps69d82258.jpg

I think the bow was rounded off to the nearest meter.

They should have painted it so it looked even more like a narwhal.

imagejpg1_zps69d82258.jpg

I think the bow was rounded off to the nearest meter.

They should have painted it so it looked even more like a narwhal.

There's no doubting it's an ugly design - but it's also a fast design.

A boat never intended to see any kind of sea. It's as if the designer looked at her wetted surface and tried to eliminate all that isn't wetted. That is my rank amateur opinion, in case you couldn't tell. I guess a pointy front end isn't necessary in flat water.

it's crossed the atlantic twice, including good chunks upwind, and pretty much kicked arse.

Never thought I'd see a boat that made a Flying Scot look good.

A boat never intended to see any kind of sea. It's as if the designer looked at her wetted surface and tried to eliminate all that isn't wetted. That is my rank amateur opinion, in case you couldn't tell. I guess a pointy front end isn't necessary in flat water.

it's crossed the atlantic twice, including good chunks upwind, and pretty much kicked arse.

So, is this scow shape the future of sailboat design?

Or just of small, light racing boats designed to a length-constrained box rule?

we're seeing lots of monos with fuller bows - all the way to scow? maybe not

I think it has a future.

Its alloy and French so that speaks volumes.

Bashing into a seaway could be a weakness.

Certainly a lot of bang for your buck.

Design by David Raison.

I think it has a future.

Design by David Raison.

If that's the shape of the future afloat I'm going back to hot rods.

Mercs and Oldsmobiles for me.

I look at these new boats and while I don;t doubt their effectiveness I think if I was a kid today I probably would have chosen a different career path. The grace and beauty that drew me to yacht design is disappearing.

Chevs or Fords?

Tjg1XX7.jpg

You can save $$$ on not needing stands?!

Holy Moly that is one depressing looking boat....do you think it knows?

Holy Moly that is one depressing looking boat....do you think it knows?

imagejpg1_zps92f0bcff.jpg

You got it. If any boat had an unhappy drooling problem, it would be the Oceanis 35.

I think I should use that as my new avatar. I know the feeling.

Timothy Leary?

Very good, Bob.

Chevs or Fords?

Tjg1XX7.jpg

A hot rod - that's an old Ford with a Chevy engine. ^_^

Chevs or Fords?

Tjg1XX7.jpg

You can save $$$ on not needing stands?!

Very sad.

Premiere huh? Okay - good for you. Now would you please put it's bag over it's head again.

As I've said many times: Pretty boat looking "out" of the windows.

who designed the mini transat boat above it.

I think it has a future.

Design by David Raison.

So sorry folks for the depressing pic being Christmas time etc.

It is going to take me a whole bunch of time to shake off that traumatic and frightening image.

I know it has been all said many times before about being designed from the inside out.

A lot of things are these days and the more you look about we are constantly being visually and practically assaulted by a world full of pig uglinesses.

In my book if it looks good it is good.

Here is my old school ride, hope it atones for me posting the Oceananus.

k7pmnJo.jpg

It is going to take me a whole bunch of time to shake off that traumatic and frightening image.

I know it has been all said many times before about being designed from the inside out.

A lot of things are these days and the more you look about we are constantly being visually and practically assaulted by a world full of pig uglinesses.

k7pmnJo.jpg

That's a huge improvement, but tits would be better.

Bob's been holding out.... :P

k7pmnJo.jpg

Be very careful about what you wish for in this world.

Yup, I can show you some tits but if I am gay and you do not like hairy grey and saggy you will have to go find some one else to moan to.

Deal?

Mercs and Oldsmobiles for me.

I look at these new boats and while I don;t doubt their effectiveness I think if I was a kid today I probably would have chosen a different career path. The grace and beauty that drew me to yacht design is disappearing.

I prefer Ford's & Merc's myself.

the-california-kid-34-ford.jpg

Joe_Proski_50_Merc.jpg

Maui:

I just got that in an email moments before I came onto CA. Couldn't let it go to waste. Christmas time is the time for sharing.

Tjg1XX7.jpg

Press release:

Beneteau is proud to announce that they have hired a West Coaster as their new in-house NA. A man known for putting a number if designs on the water, author of at least one book on boat design and construction ,renowned for his occasionally cranky responses to those who question his skills, Beneteau is pleased to welcome Brent Swain to the team.

Tjg1XX7.jpg

Press release:

Beneteau is proud to announce that they have hired a West Coaster as their new in-house NA. A man known for putting a number if designs on the water, author of at least one book on boat design and construction ,renowned for his occasionally cranky responses to those who question his skills, Beneteau is pleased to welcome Brent Swain to the team.

Couldn't do much worse than the current vandals designers.

k7pmnJo.jpg

Be very careful about what you wish for in this world.

Yup, I can show you some tits but if I am gay and you do not like hairy grey and saggy you will have to go find some one else to moan to.

Deal?

Bring it on, Pris.

Press release:

imagejpg1_zpscd05a39c.jpg

Very Beneteau.

"Yeah, I'd say she's floating on her lines. Maybe a bit down by the stern".

Chevs or Fords?

Tjg1XX7.jpg

You old farts are just being mean. I admire it. That's what we're here for. Looks like form following function in several ways to me, and that's a thing of beauty wherever you find it, especially a boat. Even an ugly boat.

Also, it looks like something that will make a nice used boat for someone some day. Probably some old fart who gripes about new designs being ugly.

Tjg1XX7.jpg

Press release:

I dunno that I wouldn't prefer one or two of BS's boats over that Bennie shoebox

Damn! They moved those rocks again.

I meant to do that.

Chevs or Fords?

Also, it looks like something that will make a nice used boat for someone some day. Probably some old fart who gripes about new designs being ugly.

Oh I hope not - have you been on a contemporary boat? They will be a nightmare to work on unless you take the deck off first.

Just by coincidence I was in Lynnwood today and there were a couple of those Bennies in there - getting their delivery prep I guess.

They are uglier in the flesh than in pics.

Calling them butt ugly is an insult to assholes everywhere.

We need to get Doc & Marty McFly to assassinate Raison's grandparents.

Chevs or Fords?

Tjg1XX7.jpg

You old farts are just being mean. I admire it. That's what we're here for. Looks like form following function in several ways to me, and that's a thing of beauty wherever you find it, especially a boat. Even an ugly boat.

I hate to say it, but I can see exactly why that boat will be a huge success in charter fleets. While onboard, I don't have to look at it, while sober,I'll want to row away as fast as possible, and while shit faced on island rum, I won't mind rowing back towards it.

k7pmnJo.jpg

Much, much better!

"Calling them butt ugly is an insult to assholes everywhere."

I don't know. I kind of looks like the box the boat came in.

I'd have to sail it before I came down on it too hard.

Maybe if those big, hard, cacophonous hull windows were a soft oval it would work better.

Maybe if the teak toe rail were not chopped up.

Maybe if someone took a weed whacker to that dodger.

Bought some shoes once. I wanted really comfortable shoes for travelling. I found some that were like walking on air. Got them home. They were profoundly ugly. I never wore them. I think I may have worn them when I painted the house.

Billy Conolly once commented." never trust a fart when you are over fifty".

I suppose you would have to be a young fart to enjoy this.

JFR8rFz.jpg

In this part of the world they are called breasticles.

CSthJGK.jpg

I like them fresh, not dried.

JFR8rFz.jpg

Hope they've run exhaustive testing on the integrity of that Great White dive cage.

I can empathise with that feeling. When I was a kid in Dublin the 60s and 70s, the local harbours were still dominated by wooden boats on swinging moorings. Open-decked centreboard Dublin Bay Mermaids in the foreground, then rows of International Dragons and Glens, followed by the Dublin Bay 24s (which are part of the subject of a thoughtful article on Afloat.ie. Sure there were fibreglass boats too, but many of them looked quite similar to the wooden boats.

As the 70s wore on, the plastic boats became more modern and more numerous. Some of the early 70s designs, like the numerous Ruffian 23 and Shipman 28 had pretty sheerlines, while the popular Ron Holland-designed Club Shamrock half-tonner and the J/24s were angular white plastic affairs. In the early the 1980s, they began to be joined by hordes of new Beneteau clones, whose bold stripes failed to offset ugly shapes.

Now the wooden boats are mostly gone, and the remainder are obscured by the hordes of newer boats in the marina pontoons which dominate the foreground. Those marina berths are full of identikit white plastic industrial products, most of which have little grace from any angle, and whose lines are mercifully obscured by the pontoons. The old vista of wooden beauty has been replaced by something more like a floating caravan park.

Those who design to fill those marina berths have more in common with industrial designers than with the artists who and craftsmen who created the old wooden boats. I guess it attracts a very different sort of person to the young man who collected line drawings and tried to emulate the different styles of poetry.

Some of the old sense of style persists in the large custom yacht market. Much of its is vulgar, but some of the expensive stuff retains a sense of poetry.

The place I see most of the poetry now is in small self-built wooden boats, which have retreated from the hard-chined plywood boxes of my youth. Iain Oughtred's board produces lines of exquisite beauty (was there ever a vessel bonnier than the

); Don Kurylko's Alaska is a rare gem; John Welsford's Pathfinder & Navigator are paragons of rugged beauty; while Bolger's Gloucester Light Dory brings grace to a role more commonly filled by a plastic abomination. But there's not much of a living to be made from those designs.

JFR8rFz.jpg

I dunno about the farts. But to enjoy that white blob, you'd need to be interested in outdoor partying than in actual sailing.

The quote was never trust a fart, and never waste an erection, and it was about turning sixty.

It's quite a useful concept for some of us.

Does the boat come with a pool. My wife would love that. :P

I have a theory that people favour high perf boats and cars etc that they wanted but couldent afford when they were in their late teens. Men also tend to dress in what was fashionable when they were in their late twentys.

I think that's why I love the look of early Elliott race yachts and wear flare or bootleg jeans every day of the year.

Maybe if those big, hard, cacophonous hull windows were a soft oval it would work better.

Bought some shoes once. I wanted really comfortable shoes for travelling. I found some that were like walking on air. Got them home. They were profoundly ugly. I never wore them. I think I may have worn them when I painted the house.

The box the boat came in. Dat's a good one.

The windows are unfortunate, but I like the dodger. I like the folding transom too. And Crocs. With socks at this time of year. People are free to look someplace other than my feet. :P

Oh I hope not - have you been on a contemporary boat? They will be a nightmare to work on unless you take the deck off first.

Ugh. There will be lots of chopping and very, very few repairs that make the chopping unnoticeable. It is what it is. Maybe advances in Fein Multimaster technology and the ability to scan and 3-D print parts that fit any hole perfectly will help.

Did you hear that NASA emailed a wrench to the space station?

Priscilla:

I actually stay quite busy designing boats that are beautiful in the classic sense. That's what I do and I would not have it any other way.

Searinisailplanpublic_zps660a676b.jpg

1917_indoor_2012_promo_pic.jpg

I like that Merc a lot.

My dad had a Merc like that when my parents started dating. She used to call it "the bathtub."

My mom had a Bel Air.

57-chevy-convertible.jpg

The box the boat came in. Dat's a good one.

The windows are unfortunate, but I like the dodger. I like the folding transom too. And Crocs. With socks at this time of year. People are free to look someplace other than my feet. :P

>

Ugh. There will be lots of chopping and very, very few repairs that make the chopping unnoticeable. It is what it is. Maybe advances in Fein Multimaster technology and the ability to scan and 3-D print parts that fit any hole perfectly will help.

Did you hear that NASA emailed a wrench to the space station?

If that's true (and I have no reason to doubt it) I'm not even going to TRY to keep up anymore. :blink:

I like that Merc a lot.

My dad had a Merc like that when my parents started dating. She used to call it "the bathtub."

My mom had a Bel Air.

57-chevy-convertible.jpg

My first car, except mine was a 4-door hardtop in an unpleasant brown colour. Never mind, it only cost me $200 in 1967.

I learned to drive in a Nash Metropolitan, although a cousin did let me drive his 49/50 Merc :)

As much as I liked the Merc, the Met was more my style.

ebay358584.jpg

I grew up with a guy who put a Sunbeam Alpine engine in a Met. That was at the zenith of the musclecar wars (1970).

Surprised a few guys with hot cars. :D

1917_indoor_2012_promo_pic.jpg

post-95343-0-09949900-1419100686_thumb.jpg

Sure wasn't hard to improve those old cars looks.

I like that Merc a lot.

My mom had a Bel Air.

57-chevy-convertible.jpg

My first car, except mine was a 4-door hardtop in an unpleasant brown colour. Never mind, it only cost me $200 in 1967.

Oh that is really funny because my first car was a 1957 Chevy, same two tone White over light blue, but a four door station wagon, I paid $150 for it in........1967. That was in Pasadena, California.

"I don't have to look at it, while sober"

Didn't we used to call ugly girls like that were "slump breakers"? :blink:

Cars? WTF

Gotta get to the boat with some style doncha?