• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
bljones

Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

7,517 posts in this topic

Wow! I can't recall ever seeing a hull that rough.

Time to break out the big sander.

6 minutes ago, MarkusCarkus said:

One of Brent's early efforts before he destroyed steel.

FIFY

14 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

2775890128_4fc588d715.jpg?v=0

I admire the time & effort somebody took when they heard "you'll get twice as much if you clean up your old boat before putting it up for sale"....

No, the trailer doesn't come with the boat.

I thought it was a closeup of a Blue Whale

Image result for blue whale

14 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

I admire the time & effort somebody took when they heard "you'll get twice as much if you clean up your old boat before putting it up for sale"....

Looks like it needs a bit of silly putty to close the gap at the leading end of the bilge keel.

2 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Looks like it needs a bit of silly putty to close the gap at the leading end of the bilge keel.

Is that a bilge keel, or is it just a keel keel that got manged way over to one side when they dropped it on the trailer?

8 minutes ago, Minnesail said:

Is that a bilge keel, or is it just a keel keel that got manged way over to one side when they dropped it on the trailer?

Uh oh...  Marine Tex then.

2 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Uh oh...  Marine Tex then.

Big spender.

Some design questions I hadn't considered before:

"My 40' cat hasn't enough windage"

"The cockpit is too exposed, more interior space required"

"Don't want no stinking swim platforms and waterline length is overrated, overhangs are cool"

http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-catamarans/crowther-islander-46/203790

0_3.jpg.fb1a20c56d8fbe2db421483b47df00a4.jpg

"I'd like to be able to put office chairs above my head to look up girls skirts"

7_3.jpg.e1ea4d0d6f0e22d434e0302b700fb87f.jpg

"What's the strangest place we can put extra berths?"

18_3.jpg.c4b7f1414ce14fbc0ff8db90bd8ba31a.jpg

On 6/29/2017 at 1:23 AM, Dilligaf0220 said:

Is that a canting keel attached to a semi-lapstrake design? 

Yet another catamaran that has been tapped with the ugly stick.

3-DSCN0073.JPG

1 hour ago, TQA said:

Tapped?  more like a brutal assault.

Looks like one of the 1000's of designs that HotRod studied.

Tad Roberts posted on FB:

49768e_169f799cc0b9434f97c57fda57254f97~

They're Trondheim Trawler renderings.

If we can find something Admirable, they're otherwise eminently qualified for the Society.

They remind me of Anacortes Flipper.

Yeah, me too, but I think they're uglier. But we're looking for something Admirable here!

They have long waterlines. 

Aren't boats with long waterlines supposed to be fast?  

I admire the buildings in the background

I admire the attempt at hybrid drive. Not sure about the execution. The boats are pretty ugly. 

I admire the old timey mast/boom davit.

Now if they could just find an appropriate boat to mount it on.

Steve

16 hours ago, py26129 said:

I admire the buildings in the background

The birds are a nice detail too.

I admire the bold colours! There's too much white/grey/dark blue and black going round on boats I think...

But I really like the tough look of the high bows, reminiscant of the bows of offshore support vessels, built for the harsh conditions of the North Sea

I think a snap-on extension could make the bow into a fun slide.

On ‎5‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:57 AM, sparau said:

Some design questions I hadn't considered before:

"My 40' cat hasn't enough windage"

"The cockpit is too exposed, more interior space required"

"Don't want no stinking swim platforms and waterline length is overrated, overhangs are cool"

http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-catamarans/crowther-islander-46/203790

0_3.jpg.fb1a20c56d8fbe2db421483b47df00a4.jpg

"I'd like to be able to put office chairs above my head to look up girls skirts"

7_3.jpg.e1ea4d0d6f0e22d434e0302b700fb87f.jpg

"What's the strangest place we can put extra berths?"

18_3.jpg.c4b7f1414ce14fbc0ff8db90bd8ba31a.jpg

A few points to set the record straight: That is not a Lock Crowther design. It is based on a slightly ugly boat designed and marketed by a guy who worked for Crowther for a while. The original design had a normal cockpit arrangement, no stern overhangs, and looked like a comfortable calm-weather coastal motorsailer, not for ocean work. Several were built to plan and look reasonably safe and sane, although not pretty.

On a more subjective level, I reckon Lock Crowther would have chewed off and swallowed his own balls rather than design a boat like that. Fuck, I've seen some fugly catamarans but that just about takes the cookie.

On ‎8‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:36 AM, TQA said:

3-DSCN0073.JPG

I like the bottom half...........a couple of weekends with a Sawzall will fix that.

I could de-uglify it in an afternoon with a chainsaw and a backhoe. No reason to go after that monster structure with just a Sawzall.

13 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I could de-uglify it in an afternoon with a chainsaw and a backhoe. No reason to go after that monster structure with just a Sawzall.

Would be a nice cat after shoving those barges over board....u don't think they are permanently attached do ya?

The person gives a better sense of the scale.

You could fit quite a few Harlisaki's in there.

Appears to sail as well as it looks: from the Antigua Week committee boat

All was going like a well-oiled machine until the big Russian catamaran, “Helicat Red” crossed the finishing line on a port tack and then proceeded to tack very ponderously and slowly. Before they'd completed the manoeuvre and gotten away they had drifted back onto our mooring ball and snagged it in their rudder and/or propeller shaft. I sent Karen forward with a kitchen knife in case Steve couldn't untie our mooring line under pressure and got the engines going while the finish crew was busy scoring racers. Once it was clear that Helicat Red wasn't going get away and might crash into us Steve dropped our mooring and subsequently Helicat Red got the gear untangled but unfortunately dropped the line in 50 meters of water which means that the ground tackle might be lost forever.

What is it with Russians and thier appreciation of the far end wilderness of yacht design?

On 5/25/2017 at 7:01 PM, valis said:

cannons.thumb.jpg.3679e18e2dc838074b2fe1871638ffb8.jpg

I admire the way this tells the pirates "Back off, jack.  We've got cannons!"  From a distance they can't see it's just paint!

I've found more to admire about this one.  Yesterday I was at the "Tall Ships Races 2017" in Kotka, Finland (amazing collection of ships, more on this later), and I saw the Russian ship "Kruzenshtern", built in Germany around 1925.  After WW2 The German fleet was taken by the Allies (spoils of war) and Kruzenshtern went to the Russians.  She is now used as a training ship.  Note the attempt at historical accuracy on the fiberglass trailer-sailor!  Also note the sweet wooden powerboat viewing the Kruzenshtern.

tallships 1.jpg

And yes, I was collaborating with many Russians yesterday.

11 hours ago, hobot said:

What is it with Russians and thier appreciation of the far end wilderness of yacht design?

I suspect it's something similar to Jeff Foxworthy's definition of redneck - "A glorious lack of sophistication".

I guess I admire that it is very clean and well cared for. The frowning face on the transom cracked me up

IMG_3988.JPG

6 minutes ago, wnye said:

I guess I admire that it is very clean and well cared for. The frowning face on the transom cracked me up

IMG_3988.JPG

There's where the two 50-gallon drums of Bondo went.

1 hour ago, wnye said:

IMG_3988.JPG

The only boats I have ever seen as fucked up as that were (mercifully) unfinished ferro's.

That stern area is amazing.

I admire the rig - looks like it could be put to good use elsewhere.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I admire the rig - looks like it could be put to good use elsewhere.

I think admiring it on another boat kind of defeats the purpose of the Society.

Besides, that rig is admirable on that boat. It appears to have enough power to push the thing. Getting enough sail up to push that thing is pretty Admirable.

I don't know how to do pics, can someone please Google "Caravel Notorious" and post some pics here?

She's currently here, I nearly shit when I saw her at dawn yesterday. A very admirable boat, and to my eye not really ugly at all...

18 minutes ago, Happy said:

I don't know how to do pics, can someone please Google "Caravel Notorious" and post some pics here?

She's currently here, I nearly shit when I saw her at dawn yesterday. A very admirable boat, and to my eye not really ugly at all...

Hmmm...

I suspect internal combustion, not those sails, is causing that bow wave.

239568_home_hero.jpg?1435630411

Thanks for that, Tom. Most cooperatve of you.

Yep, he's got a diesel and a GPS. It does actually sail, and has survived nasty weather en route to Tasmania. I'm going for a look on board Sunday, it's in the marina for the weekend, guided tour for $5.00. 

The builder/researcher/designer/skipper started with 300 tons of Monterey Cypress logs and an idea of how it should look. About nine years later Notorious was launched. Held together with 1400's wooden nail technology.

Admirable.

Using reclaimed timber and ancient fasteners does mitigate the diesel somewhat. And it is admirable to take a weird obsession like this all the way to reality.

It's weird to me because we have sailors (and Rimas) traveling the oceans without engines. If this guy is so obsessed with old tech, why ruin it with an engine?

How much wind would it take to push that  hull with that rig? And then I would have to ask how close to the wind could she get (another way to ask "what does it rate")? Seems like the engine is an absolute requirement to avoid sitting becalmed for months in the doldrums eating salt mackeral and drinking your own urine. 

It's a full-time family liveaboard, engine and modern navigation methods for safety and convenience.

11 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Wow!

20030720-123518.jpg

First reef at.... 45 kts?

Wow is right!!!

A Texas  Etchel

Auditioned for and didn't get cast in Waterworld

14 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Wow!

20030720-123518.jpg

Not quite able to top that

Dont know if this has been seen here

IMG_4909.JPG

56 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Wow!

20030720-123518.jpg

Hot Rod apparently studied that one closely.

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Wow is right!!!

A Texas  Etchel

Auditioned for and didn't get cast in Waterworld

Plus, the sail is for an Etchells 22 - they dropped the "22" back in 1990, so the sail is at least 27 years old.

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Poppa Neutrino WAS 'Waterworld' in real life!

http://mostfascinating.blogspot.com/2011/06/floating-neutrinos.html

Image result for town hall raft

Fascinating story! Rimas could easily fit in as one of the Floating Neutrinos but they probably wouldn't have him.

I think the first floating neutrino is a wooden Tech Dinghy still at the MIT sailing pavilion.

41mmxuOWolGudSlVQ9h3COk6XZyE_skOYG18E0ii

7 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Not on the mudflats of Comox...

I beg to differ.

Brent Swain Paradise.jpg

56 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I beg to differ.

Brent Swain Paradise.jpg

Imagine finally achieving the life you dreamed of and having to look at all of those building things on the shore. I hadn't planned on working my ass off building my boat  to have the view ruined by worker bees in their hives! Dammit to Comax!!!

P.S. She has a lot of hair under there

I bet you can't even smell that bush over the low tide stench

On 2017-07-20 at 5:41 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

Hmmm...

I suspect internal combustion, not those sails, is causing that bow wave.

239568_home_hero.jpg?1435630411

A new measurement: sheer height-to-LOA measurement, and this one wins.

This one could fit in three different current threads.  The price isn't outrageous, though, so trying to sell it at a modest price is fine, and it doesn't fit the tenor of metal boats, so... I admire that it is on land where it belongs and makes a good conversation pit complete with flower pots.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-personal-watercraft/cape-breton/looking-to-sell-or-trade-for-smaller-boat-obo/1283501068?utm_source=alerts&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email_alerts

That transom is really something.

There has to be more than $500 worth of aluminum.

I guess I admire the flag.

On 7/21/2017 at 1:45 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Wow!

20030720-123518.jpg

HOTROD would approve the design.

On 7/21/2017 at 1:45 PM, SloopJonB said:

Hot Rod apparently studied that one closely.

We already heard, but thank you for thinking the way we do!

8 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

We already heard, but thank you for thinking the way we do!

Actually Beer, if you look at the post numbers you'll see that you heard well after. ;)

So, riddle me this: why do the Floating Neutrinos get some measure of respect, even admiration for their lifestyle, while Brent Swain reaps scorn and ridicule?

I suspect the answer lies somewhere with Brent's adversarial and aggressive tone rather than his lifestyle and boat choices...

Jim:

You are correct. This has been communicated many times. Nobody that I know here has a problem with the boats or the life style.. It's BS we have a problem with and his "my way is the only way and if you don't agree you are stupid and your grp boats are stupid and dangerous" attitude.

Don't know whether this really fits here - not sure where it would fit !

IMGP0030.jpg

Looks to me like someone found a health dept loophole. A food shack on land probably has lots of rules. But it's not on land!

8 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

IMGP0030.jpg

You found the right place fo it

On 7/24/2017 at 4:14 AM, Jim in Halifax said:

So, riddle me this: why do the Floating Neutrinos get some measure of respect, even admiration for their lifestyle, while Brent Swain reaps scorn and ridicule?

I suspect the answer lies somewhere with Brent's adversarial and aggressive tone rather than his lifestyle and boat choices...

In real life, neutrinos don't interact with normal matter.

Galley up has been upped

10 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Looks to me like someone found a health dept loophole. A food shack on land probably has lots of rules. But it's not on land!

Somehow, I suspect that actually invokes twice as many rules.  

Though nothing like that abomination, I did once start to sketch out a business plan for a floating surf/snack shack.  But... others have tried and failed.  (The key to my idea was to rotate through remote windsurfing beaches, with large crowds but no nearby businesses.  The ones that failed were in urban areas with larger customer bases - but more competition too.)  

8 hours ago, jamhass said:

In real life, neutrinos don't interact with normal matter.

uhu, not?  Mass has been determined, at least within a range, ie neutrinos do interact with matter.

"normal matter"? Is there any other kind? as abnormal matter?

//J

22 minutes ago, Jaramaz said:

uhu, not?  Mass has been determined, at least within a range, ie neutrinos do interact with matter.

//J

Damn, caught my engineering background.  With cross sections on the order of 10-44 cm2 and mean free paths on the order of 10 light years, I kinda rounded off a bit.  

6 hours ago, toddster said:

Somehow, I suspect that actually invokes twice as many rules.  

Though nothing like that abomination, I did once start to sketch out a business plan for a floating surf/snack shack.  But... others have tried and failed.  (The key to my idea was to rotate through remote windsurfing beaches, with large crowds but no nearby businesses.  The ones that failed were in urban areas with larger customer bases - but more competition too.)  

We have a Cappuccino Afloat runabout that does great business going around the crowded moorings here in summer. Coffee and icecreams only.

Couple of BBQ and Grills on pontoon boats came and went.  And went up for sale on CL.  Even had girls on jet skis making deliveries.  Probably did great business for about four weeks in the summer.  Then...

19 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

IMGP0030.jpg

Ugly dodger thread.

2 hours ago, Jaramaz said:

//J

Dark Matter

Anti Matter

Does It Matter?

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Does It Matter?

B)  not here, no mattter what.

Otherwise:

dark matter is a speculation, unproven. That's why its called dark. 

anti matter has the same properties as "matter" apart from charge which has interesting results when particle and antiparticle meets. Thus antimatter interacts with neutrinos to the same extent as matter. Which matters, don't you think?

Jamhass was very nearly correct, it was just during the last 20 years that one has been able to set a lower limit for neutrino mass >0. Very difficult and extensive experiments, history of that is interesting as the low interaction means one must have extremely large detectors. I remember that some groups tried with abondoned old mines which were filled with some organic soup. 

Many similarities with the efferts to detect gravitational waves. (There, at last, I did connect this to something relevant on this forum. Maybe.)

Well, SJB, you asked for it.

//J

Actually, construction has just begun on a big US neutrino detector in the old Homestake mine in Lead.  

(I was peripherally involved in a competing proposal to build it inside Mt. San Jacinto in Palm Springs. Above grade, so it wouldn't fill with water if the power to the pumps ever went off. But politically it was always going to be in Lead.  And it will be utterly destroyed the first time the budget to run the pumps gets cut.) 

23 minutes ago, Jaramaz said:

Otherwise:

dark matter is a speculation, unproven. That's why its called dark. 

anti matter has the same properties as "matter" apart from charge which has interesting results when particle and antiparticle meets. Thus antimatter interacts with neutrinos to the same extent as matter. Which matters, don't you think?

Jamhass was very nearly correct, it was just during the last 20 years that one has been able to set a lower limit for neutrino mass >0. Very difficult and extensive experiments, history of that is interesting as the low interaction means one must have extremely large detectors. I remember that some groups tried with abondoned old mines which were filled with some organic soup. 

Many similarities with the efferts to detect gravitational waves. (There, at last, I did connect this to something relevant on this forum. Maybe.)

Well, SJB, you asked for it.

//J

You flunked that course in Smartass didn't you?

10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You flunked that course in Smartass didn't you?

you are always so nice SJB.  

//J

8 hours ago, Jaramaz said:

Otherwise:

The front page is speculation, unproven. That's why its called the front page

Fify

The rest was too painful to reproduce here

it hurt my brain almost as much as SJB's

22 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

it hurt my brain

I don't doubt it. Be careful. 

//J

Just back from a cruise around Northern Brittany, and came across a few examples that I feel warrant consideration by the Society.  Here is the first:

IMG_20170715_201633133_HDR.jpg

DSCN3013.jpg

DSCN3016.jpg

Amazingly organic! What do the members think drove the design?

12 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Southern Ocean, high latitude sailing?

The URL on the boom is dead so no info there.

Submarine?

I was thinking some kind of parasitic infection...

..I like it. It looks like it would sail well heeled over on it's ear ..or hip ..or butt ..or on edge..or upside down.:) 

I bet she pounds horribly going upwind in a chop while being sailed flat.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Trying to create an uglier boat than Vancouver's own ZOTL.

ZOTL.jpg

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Trying to create an uglier boat than Vancouver's own ZOTL.

ZOTL.jpg

They certainly succeeded. That orange thing reminds me of this:

mr-creosote.jpg

Wow, I would love to know more about that submarine.

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

Acid

Just now, Fleetwood said:

Acid

Probably brown acid. And a bunch of unidentified mushrooms from the forest floor.

5 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Probably brown acid. And a bunch of unidentified mushrooms from the forest floor.

That'd be a good name for it -Bad Acid Trip