• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
bljones

Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

7,517 posts in this topic

Using the Wayback Machine I found that the website went active in 2010 and it's just peddling real estate in France. The updated address is:

http://www.terrains-cotesdarmor.fr/

Nothing about the boat. Huh.

4 hours ago, PatrickB02 said:

Just back from a cruise around Northern Brittany, and came across a few examples that I feel warrant consideration by the Society.  Here is the first:

IMG_20170715_201633133_HDR.jpg

DSCN3013.jpg

DSCN3016.jpg

We all live in a sailing submarine,

a sailing submarine, a sailing submarine........

It looks like a scow that tried to eat a normal bowed boat.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Probably brown acid. And a bunch of unidentified mushrooms from the forest floor.

Same thing that inspired this... had to be mushrooms or UFOs, take your pick

452fc678d9.jpg

FB- Doug

44 minutes ago, slap said:

It looks like a scow that tried to eat a normal bowed boat.

I think it's about 50 psi from popping.

I can't believe you guys haven't realized that those protuberances are water ballast tanks.

6 hours ago, PatrickB02 said:

Just back from a cruise around Northern Brittany, and came across a few examples that I feel warrant consideration by the Society.  Here is the first:

DSCN3016.jpg

A squatamaran?

Hillbilly engineering can be vastly entertaining.

I'm pretty sure that was among the thousands of designs that Hot Rod studied.

7 hours ago, Autonomous said:

A squatamaran?

I think we're supposed to Admire, not Mock, but that's funny.

12 hours ago, overbend said:

Behold, another fine candidate for the society to admire, more details here https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/18-trimaran-built-for-camping-cutter-rigged.57335/

IMG_20170402_47576.jpg.d69784b7e346f4e0c67213f83e76a81c.jpg

20170708_190635.jpg

OK, I admire the foresight.

30 minutes to launch, in the dark. With minimal needed for assembly .

Clever to realize that potential customers will want to use the cover of darkness to launch it.

(Sorry, got started Mocking and...)

14 hours ago, PatrickB02 said:

IMG_20170715_201633133_HDR.jpg

DSCN3013.jpg

DSCN3016.jpg

AWESOME! Thank you

10 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Same thing that inspired this... had to be mushrooms or UFOs, take your pick

452fc678d9.jpg

FB- Doug

The USS Coracle

1 hour ago, A horse, of course said:

AWESOME! Thank you

You're welcome.  I admire the sheer dogged tenacity that it must have taken the designer/builder/owner to get that into the water, presumably in the face of the whole world telling him he was mad.  I also admire the bowsprit. 

I admire that when he sailed into a sea of liquid epoxy he allowed it to set, and then chainsawed the boat out of it. 

I admire the Tim Hortons, beyond tumblehome shape and the creamy filling.

Can I roll up the rim to win?

I admire the thick skin and lack of vanity these boat owners apparently possess.

On August 3, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Bull City said:

Amazingly organic! What do the members think drove the design?

It looks like an old French battleship.

d9815bc6ceec05a0e907f6396b4d9080.jpg

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Clear for action!

3 hours ago, RKoch said:

That was a thankfully short lived period of warship design.

3 hours ago, RKoch said:

This was a ship for fighting that inner battle

FB- Doug

On 8/3/2017 at 6:11 PM, madohe said:

We all live in a sailing submarine,

a sailing submarine, a sailing submarine........

The designer did Comanche, get that baby up on it's side and very little wetted surface.  WTF is wrong with you people, a design breakthrough.

Yup. A real ugly looking design breakthrough though

No disrespect intended..

Maybe the designer of the orange thing read about Uffa Fox's Atalanta and then had some funny mushrooms, or maybe a fevered dream....

1187_2.jpg

dock600-400.png

I thought the same thing but couldn't find a pic.

Hard to decide which one is uglier.

On 8/4/2017 at 5:51 AM, A horse, of course said:

AWESOME! Thank you

WOW. My guess is that is an effort to reduce heel with buoyancy. . . period. 

So, when you quote a post the new blog software doesn't include the photos?

4 minutes ago, lasal said:

WOW. My guess is that is an effort to reduce heel with buoyancy. . . period. 

..a "monomaran". :D

2 hours ago, Tom Scott said:

..a "monomaran". :D

I've already copyrighted that for my boat...28' loa, 6' beam.

Already copyrighted for my boat... 28' loa, 6' beam.

On 2017-08-05 at 9:45 AM, SemiSalt said:

Maybe the designer of the orange thing read about Uffa Fox's Atalanta and then had some funny mushrooms, or maybe a fevered dream....

1187_2.jpg

dock600-400.png

I admire that the lack of corners is so consistent.  I don't actually find this ugly, just not beautiful, I think because it at least is true to its theme.

This one doesn't fit in the 'mocking' thread because the price isn't over the top and it looks in good condition, but it is rather ugly.  I admire that the boat is clean and tidy.  I do wonder, though, about the wisdom of making the foredeck on a sailboat entirely inaccessible from the cockpit without climbing gear.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft/fredericton/custom-sail-boat/1287023996?utm_source=alerts&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email_alerts

It's like someone put the lines of a boat through a blender.

$_27.JPG

I admire the tabernacle. Looks beefy.

I admire the fact that it is not mine.

On 8/5/2017 at 5:45 AM, SemiSalt said:

1187_2.jpg

dock600-400.png

Funny. Very early in this thread o posted one of these, because despite the pedigree, it looks like one of Ming the Merciless's space ships, and I was roundly booed for it. 

20 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Funny. Very early in this thread o posted one of these, because despite the pedigree, it looks like one of Ming the Merciless's space ships, and I was roundly booed for it. 

Ming The Merciless's space ships? You say that like it's a bad thing!

FB- Doug

5 hours ago, groundhog said:

I admire that the lack of corners is so consistent.  I don't actually find this ugly, just not beautiful, I think because it at least is true to its theme.

It's not ugly, it's butt ugly.

Atalanta's are among the ugliest boats ever to hit the water. Inexcusable.

I'd rather have one of the better BS boats.

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It's not ugly, it's butt ugly.

Atalanta's are among the ugliest boats ever to hit the water. Inexcusable.

I'd rather have one of the better BS boats.

Will you post that in the Origami thread, Sloop?!   I think the whole crazy roundedness of it would not be out of place in a steam-punk movie, with a few extra unnecessary details added. 

I like the old Uffa Fox ATALANTA. It's odd for sure a bit like an overgrown THISTLE  dinghy. Works for me.

IMO the Atalanta is a bit odd, but not ugly. It would look better if it was faster.

56 minutes ago, RKoch said:

IMO the Atalanta is a bit odd, but not ugly. It would look better if it was faster.

Zackly

A really fast boat is always beautiful. Always.

And I apply that the America's Cup wind-propelled industrial products, also... it can be a struggle to appreciate them properly some times...

FB- Doug

Atalanta looks weird because it shouldn't have a house at all. Either one of them. It would be cool as a big, round, open daysailer. Like a giant, whimsical swimming pool toy.

28 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Atalanta looks weird because it shouldn't have a house at all. Either one of them. It would be cool as a big, round, open daysailer. Like a giant, whimsical swimming pool toy.

FIFY

I can see it outfitted with those foot-massaging jets around the cockpit

FB- Doug

The boat's ugly - but, ya gotta admire what the kids decided to do, even if it's not a result that most of us would appreciate. 

10 hours ago, Whisper said:

Stunning!

Found a good home here:P

On 8/5/2017 at 8:45 AM, SemiSalt said:

1187_2.jpg

dock600-400.png

This is obviously what happens when you feed a Macgregor to a perfectly nice barrelback runabout.

OK guys, time for the second submission from my recent French trip...

I have to say that I struggle to find anything to admire about this one.  And what are those curved bits on the side for..?  Maybe he liked the idea of IMOCA60 style foils but got confused..?

IMG_20170720_172058155.jpg

IMG_20170720_171757106_HDR.jpg

Wow. Looks like someone stuck a rig on a motor canal boat. It's hideous. I have no idea what the curvy thing is.  The dory is sweet.

9 hours ago, PatrickB02 said:

OK guys, time for the second submission from my recent French trip...

I have to say that I struggle to find anything to admire about this one.  And what are those curved bits on the side for..?  Maybe he liked the idea of IMOCA60 style foils but got confused..?

IMG_20170720_172058155.jpg

I admire the fact that there is no way in hell the boat has weather helm.

6 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I admire the fact that there is no way in hell the boat has weather helm.

You don't know where the keel is, and judging by the rest of the boat, it's not where it should be.

3 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

You don't know where the keel is, and judging by the rest of the boat, it's not where it should be.

So the keel looks like a goatee? LOL

I admire the enormous retractable rudder. Though I don't know why it doesn't retract completely clear of the water.

It looks like it was a ketch, before his missus demanded a second story with room for a proper bedroom with ensuite, laundry, and room for her shoes.

I thought at the time that the back end looked like a mobo whilst the front end is a yacht.  Maybe its like the Disco Volante in James Bond, and can separate into two separate boats..?  Maybe the curved bits cover the join..?  OK, maybe not.

2 hours ago, PatrickB02 said:

I thought at the time that the back end looked like a mobo whilst the front end is a yacht. 

The last ten feet or so look like a houseboat. Maybe the front fell off one and the back fell off a sailboat and someone mated the remaining parts.

5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I admire the enormous retractable rudder. Though I don't know why it doesn't retract completely clear of the water.

It used to, before the wife moved her shoes on board

FB- Doug

I think those things on the sides are either an interesting take on camouflage, or very clever dagger boards.  Or both.

I hesitate to submit this one but I admire these windows from the inside.

20663827_1904611016528833_58618218454626

And finally, here is the third (and last, you will be relieved to learn) candidate from my French trip.  In  my view, the worst (or should that be best) of the lot.  I admire the self deprecation of the name, Vanille & Framboise (Vanilla and Strawberry) and the way that the curtains match the colour scheme so well.  I admire the restraint of the citizens of St Malo for not wreaking their revenge on this blot on their beautiful cityscape. I admire the rig made of scaffold poles.  I could go on...

DSCN3321.jpg

DSCN3317.jpg

DSCN3319.jpg

I generally view posting a multihull to this thread as a bit like posting a Bolger boat. Of course it wins. Because they're mostly ugly and admirable.

But that one is special. I admire the rakish angle of the railing on the pod.

On 8/10/2017 at 9:46 PM, Uncooperative Tom said:

I think you should withdraw that one - its not ugly, just dated.

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I generally view posting a multihull to this thread as a bit like posting a Bolger boat. Of course it wins. Because they're mostly ugly and admirable.

But that one is special. I admire the rakish angle of the railing on the pod.

Getting to the foredeck to adjust that lee board or to set the anchor must be a rush...

On 2017-08-10 at 9:46 PM, Uncooperative Tom said:

Not ugly, just of an era.  Designs then were more consistently pleasant on the eyes than modern ones.

I guess I'm not old enough to appreciate it. It's nice to not be old enough for something.

I still think the quest for headroom had some unfortunate consequences there. They looked different in that time but those are still some giant windows. I'm sure they're great from the inside.

4 hours ago, PatrickB02 said:

And finally, here is the third (and last, you will be relieved to learn) candidate from my French trip.  In  my view, the worst (or should that be best) of the lot.  I admire the self deprecation of the name, Vanille & Framboise (Vanilla and Strawberry) and the way that the curtains match the colour scheme so well.  I admire the restraint of the citizens of St Malo for not wreaking their revenge on this blot on their beautiful cityscape. I admire the rig made of scaffold poles.  I could go on...

DSCN3321.jpg

DSCN3317.jpg

DSCN3319.jpg

It's odd, I should admire (and desire) multihulls. I like boats that are fast. I like boats that have nice curves and proportions. I like boats that are capable of sailing shallow waters, and boats that can rest aground. But I admire these characteristics, the boat itself does nothing for me. Clever solution to the problem(s) but I don't want one. I should say that I have sailed a lot of multis and had a great time doing it. Will do so again, too. Maybe someday the light will go on and I'll want to own one myself.

This looks like a clever and fun boat. I'd like to see it in person, sailing, and watch a shunt (tack) to see how it's done.

FB- Doug

That pod makes a lot less sense if the end we're looking at becomes the stern. I'm not sure this one shunts like a normal proa.

5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I guess I'm not old enough to appreciate it. It's nice to not be old enough for something.

I still think the quest for headroom had some unfortunate consequences there. They looked different in that time but those are still some giant windows. I'm sure they're great from the inside.

They're not blue-water cruisers, so large windows are fine. Passengers can sit inside, out of the weather, and still enjoy a scenic view. The boat is what I might call a post-deco style, which was common at the time. I rather like it...the sheer is a bit off in the aft end, but I suspect the hull has hogged slightly with age.

Don't understand the heavy criticism on the Fairey Atalanta ( nor the proa for that matter, it seems at least interesting) do some Googling on ot and you'll find a boat with an interesting history, way ahead of it's time and actually pretty darn fast too.

why don't you guys post some MacGergors, Hunters, Bene's and other AWBs totally rid of personality, intent and creativity?

peronally I find those about the ugliest since they, like empty PET bottles are floating junk all over the place ;-)

did I hear Bolger anyone?

34 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Proa is rather odd. 

FIFY

15 minutes ago, SpittingSpume said:

Don't understand the heavy criticism on the Fairey Atalanta do some Googling on ot and you'll find a boat with an interesting history, way ahead of it's time and actually pretty darn fast too.

Indeed - very early cold moulding (or was it hot moulded?) and designed by Uffa Fox no less.

Nevertheless it's still unforgivably ugly

This isn't unforgivably ugly, but the way the hull windows don't line up with each other or anything else, and the stripe that sinks at the bow...just doesn't work for me.

dwMWUM9.jpg

4 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

That pod makes a lot less sense if the end we're looking at becomes the stern. I'm not sure this one shunts like a normal proa.

I didnt study it too carefully, but i also suspected it was an outrigger, not a proa.

58 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

This isn't unforgivably ugly, but the way the hull windows don't line up with each other or anything else, and the stripe that sinks at the bow...just doesn't work for me.

dwMWUM9.jpg

Ewww

I will say one thing in it's favor, I bet it's roomy inside.

Oh wait, I just thought of another admirable trait- it doesn't look like an athletic shoe.

FB- Doug

7 hours ago, SpittingSpume said:

why don't you guys post some MacGergors, Hunters, Bene's and other AWBs totally rid of personality, intent and creativity?

Not all that ugly nor all that Admirable. I think you may have missed the point of the thread: Admiration. It's a common misconception and Ugly is more fun to talk about, but what's really interesting is when they're ugly for an admirable reason other than being a workboat of some kind. 

I guess I admire the little fold-down transom on the one Ish posted. Pretty neat wrap on the jib. Yawn.

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

dwMWUM9.jpg

The near waterline stripe does slightly hide the immense freeboard.

13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

dwMWUM9.jpg

Well. It's not like there's any pleasing kind of sheer for that line to follow.

Could be worse I guess. It could be reversed.

Totally fashionable quarter chine though. 

3 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

....    ...    ...

Totally fashionable quarter chine though. 

Are you saying you admire that?

FB- Doug

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Are you saying you admire that?

FB- Doug

Couldn't find the "irony' button, Doug. 

24 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Couldn't find the "irony' button, Doug. 

Well shucks. I was going to come over and paint one on your boat for you.... just a trick of shading........

FB- Doug

When I look at that little piggy I think to myself, if these were the boats around me when I was 15 years old I never would have become  yacht designer.

" When I grow up I want to desig really awkward looking boats!"

I can't find anything right with that design. That's a good example of a boat that should have had crew weight included in the weight study. I hate to see a boat stern down.

" Deploy the balloons!"

All this time I thought I was looking at a catamaran.  Sad...

Here's a completely different look.  I prefer to only say nice things about other people's boats, and I admire the contrast of rounded vs angular shapes on it.

20170731_125445.jpg

Ah yes, the cubist movement in yacht design. Quite lovely. Weird as it is I don;t think it looks to bad. It has a sense of humor.

2 minutes ago, valis said:

All this time I thought I was looking at a catamaran.  Sad...

Here's a completely different look.  I prefer to only say nice things about other people's boats, and I admire the contrast of rounded vs angular shapes on it.

20170731_125445.jpg

Hah! Good find! That is a cute one.

Looks like a Kent Ranger with the cabin off one of the channel cutters popped onto it. Curved shape plus square-ish box plus round ports = cute.

FB- Doug

It blends in some Popeye kind of way

and I think it has sternsheets so you can maximize the cockpit experience 

14 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hah! Good find! That is a cute one.

Looks like a Kent Ranger with the cabin off one of the channel cutters popped onto it. Curved shape plus square-ish box plus round ports = cute.

FB- Doug

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=107 ranger 20 with home built add on.  the ranger 20 is a pretty good looking boat...without the add on.

Flyer:

I agree, Kent, Ray Richards design Ranger. I kept thinking Haida at first but it wasn't quite right.

I went to see Ray Richards once when I was a kid. He worked at home. He wore a suit to work.  He was very dismissive of me. He would not let me into where he did his drawing. I admired his work very much. But I got over it in time.

Looks like a perfectly normal racing boat coachroof got attacked by a lopsided box, which couldn't swallow all of its prey.

Apart from that, it's fine ;)

Is that a San Juan 24 or Santana 20?

48 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

It's def not a SJ24, but does look very much like a Santana 20.

The round portholes give it a bit of a surprised look, like the cabin itself is wondering what it's doing there!

7 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

6 hours ago, RKoch said:

It's def not a SJ24, but does look very much like a Santana 20.

Do you guys read the posts up thread? The box-boat was identified as a Ranger 20 in post # 7389.

13 hours ago, chester said:

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=107 ranger 20 with home built add on.  the ranger 20 is a pretty good looking boat...without the add on.

The Ranger 20 is pretty small, but not pretty with that box on top. Sometimes its just better to shell out for a bigger boat. Or buy an Independent 20 if you want accommodations on that waterline.

picindependent20aa.jpg

Not sure if this is a candidate for this thread or not...

14 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

When I look at that little piggy I think to myself, if these were the boats around me when I was 15 years old I never would have become  yacht designer.

" When I grow up I want to desig really awkward looking boats!"

I can't find anything right with that design. That's a good example of a boat that should have had crew weight included in the weight study. I hate to see a boat stern down.

" Deploy the balloons!"

I'm not sure whether it was intended, but the first Catalina 309's sat level with people in the cockpit. And sat slightly bow-down when empty. This resulted in an annoying puddle at the front of the cockpit. That in turn resulted in me gluing a bunch of lead into the back of a boat.

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'm not sure whether it was intended, but the first Catalina 309's sat level with people in the cockpit. And sat slightly bow-down when empty. This resulted in an annoying puddle at the front of the cockpit. That in turn resulted in me gluing a bunch of lead into the back of a boat.

Some smaller boats and catboats are bow down so they are balanced on the waterline with crew weight in the cockpit

I have a Ranger 22' that does that, and I modified the split level benches and aft coaming for the PO for one level seating and drainage. 

Not so sure about the Catalina , however..

IMG_5423.JPG

IMG_5424.JPG

Nom question, it's a Ranger 20. Look at that bow profile. Look at that midships chine. Ray Richard's trademarks.

I wanted a Ranger 20 for my first sailboat. My sailing instructor told me it was not suitable for Gorge sailing and that I was going to buy a Santana 22, period. No discussion necessary.

Thank you, Letha. Your honest, no nonsense  instruction got me off on the right foot.

I'd still consider one now that I don't live where 35 knot winds are a regular occurrence. It sure as hell would not have a frikkin' box over the companionway though. Ugh.

The ugliest Swan ever: the Imp-based Swan 39R, built 1978—1980.

The cruising version, with the traditional Swan tapered coachroof, looked OKayish from some angles.  But these high-sided blobs were hideous from nearly every direction.

599607ff7b6c8_Swan39-BlackSwan.jpg.fd0d0a782afeb85d61f07d49ee2a6caa.jpg

2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

The ugliest Swan ever: the Imp-based Swan 39R, built 1978—1980.

The cruising version, with the traditional Swan tapered coachroof, looked OKayish from some angles.  But these high-sided blobs were hideous from nearly every direction.

599607ff7b6c8_Swan39-BlackSwan.jpg.fd0d0a782afeb85d61f07d49ee2a6caa.jpg

I sailed on a Holland 40 in the SORC. Close sistership. One of the sweetest sailing boats I've been on.