• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
bljones

Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

7,525 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

OK, so submitting a condomaran is a bit shooting-fish-in-a-barrel, but it's quite the entry.

exterior-03.jpg

exterior-17.jpg

exterior-16.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/yachtingworldmagazine/videos/1481078695308731/

That would have made a pretty nice float home if they hadn't tried to make a boat out of it.

That boom has to be 30' off the water!! My god what an ugly POS...they'll probably sell a bunch of them. 

52 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That would have made a pretty nice float home if they hadn't tried to make a boat out of it.

I shoodaknowed it could be done, but I cannot fathom how something like this could even get to an actual, um, boat?, in the water.  Designer, builder, banker, owner, all must have actually thought, 'Yeah, I'd really like a boat like this!'.... and THEN, they actually put money and time into it!

Not big enough.

Have to be 200' or 300' for that.

Certainly could be the same "designer".

31 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I gotta wonder if the sails are intended to be used as anything other than decorations on that thing. 

I'd enjoy watching an owner attempt to go upwind in that monstrosity. 

What's the aft bridgedeck clearance on that condomaran?  It looks like about 6".  Or is it a cat in front and a mono in back?

I admire the designer who, with no knowledge or experience of sailing boats (and has likely never even gone sailing), has the temerity to design a sailboat.  

Or what he/she thinks a sailboat is.  

12 minutes ago, bugger said:

I admire the designer who, with no knowledge or experience of sailing boats (and has likely never even gone sailing), has the temerity to design a sailboat.  

Or what he/she thinks a sailboat is.  

Market research perceived a niche for multi-million dollar floating condos. They hired someone with little sailing expertise, no design experience, but somewhat adequate CAD skills (like Proa), to create the FrankenCondo. It's a humorous farce, but the buyers don't know, and probably don't care. It's to impress their friends, not to enjoy sailing.

17 hours ago, RKoch said:

That boom has to be 30' off the water!! My god what an ugly POS...they'll probably sell a bunch of them. 

I have to admire that.

I always do, even if it's Roger MacGregor.

Anyone who thinks it's easy to build and sell a bunch of boats should try it. Be sure to start with a large fortune, preferably belonging to someone else.

11 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Foils. Where are the foils kept?

In the storage cupboard with the other fencing equipment (in the gymnasium, port hull).

It looks like a pop up camper to me. 

An ugly camper, but I'd probably take one for free and remove the rig immediately and also beat the guy on the stern for launching the paddleboards inverted.

Hope they forgot to put the hull plug in the jet ski too!!!

22 hours ago, slap said:

I'd dump the rig and increase the engine sizes.  It rarely will be used as a sailboat, and you save the cost of the rig.

You'll be shocked, shocked I tell you, to hear that the whole range is available without a rig.

exterior-02.jpg

19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Not big enough.

Have to be 200' or 300' for that.

Certainly could be the same "designer".

Wait until you see....

the (proposed) 48'

ca.png.4e05127308492e91717d8d6410a435cf.png

15 hours ago, RKoch said:

Market research perceived a niche for multi-million dollar floating condos. They hired someone with little sailing expertise, no design experience, but somewhat adequate CAD skills (like Proa), to create the FrankenCondo. It's a humorous farce, but the buyers don't know, and probably don't care. It's to impress their friends, not to enjoy sailing.

The depressing thing is that they've sold 4 sailing and 4 power versions of the 68, and have orders for another 3. None too shabby an orderbook.

5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Anyone who thinks it's easy to build and sell a bunch of boats should try it. Be sure to start with a large fortune, preferably belonging to someone else.

That's no excuse for making something grossly ugly.

If you have to do it that way, just don't do it - find something else to do.

Otherwise it's just whoring.

I'd love to see the sail area / displacement for that.

I suppose the rig could increase the fuel efficiency slightly when motoring downwind.

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That's no excuse for making something grossly ugly.

But "it had to look this way to be what was wanted" is THE excuse that founded this Society, is it not?

10 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

The depressing thing is that they've sold 4 sailing and 4 power versions of the 68, and have orders for another 3. None too shabby an orderbook.

More odd than depressing to me. I'm not sure why anyone wants to fool with that sailing rig.

The mast and sails on that thing are probably "all carbon fibre, of course."

I'm sure none of the 8 people who've paid huge bucks for one will ever find out that it's a pig at sea. They should sell a version without motors, would leave room for a fucking big wine cellar in one hull and a bondage dungeon in the other. Just get it towed to the expensive marina of your choice.

I've just realized that in a marina, blending with a lot of other stuff, it wouldn't be quite so noticeably hideous.

Definitely been whacked with the ugly stick. Nothing admirable about it, even if some cynical marketing bastard is making big coin from it.

Do the decks/bimini go up and down on hydraulics?  Like the pop-top on a campervan.  

Hey presto!  at the touch of a button your super sleek racing cat, turns into a block of flats, with all the accomodation you require ...

That condomoron is awful.  Seems like I saw a post somewhere about a place in SE Asia that has something like this for charter, Singapore, Hong Kong or something like that.

On another note, I do not know on what thread my following offering belongs.  It is definately not a zombie or cool boat, nor is it on CL so not those.  The owner definately should be truely admired for his devotion to sailing though.  Maybe someone knows of a more appropriate spot.

This is Woodrow's boat.  (Is it the beloved McGregor 26 that often gets lampooned?  I just don't know keel boats so you tell me.)  Obviously the genoa is a notable feature and, other than Rimas, it makes this the first 1KSB (as far as I know).  I have watched that sail slowly deteriorate over the last 6 or 8 years.  The permanently deployed bumpers are nice too.  What is most admirable however is that Woodrow sails his pride and joy nearly every nice day in season and often in the winter.  He also sails into and out of his slip in a flukey-wind/lee-of-a-hill marina, albeit slowly with many tacks with that jib.  I have to admire the guy, he is the only person on our part of the lake that sails more than I do.  I heard from his dock neighbor that he has terrettes syndrome and this is an outlet for him.  Maybe that is the reason for the boat's condition.  Thus I admire (but won’t mock) him.  

Does this belong in a different thread?

Woodrow abeam Screen Shot .png

Looks more Zombie than Uglyboat even if it is underway (after a fashion)

On 9/20/2017 at 7:07 AM, Presuming Ed said:

You'll be shocked, shocked I tell you, to hear that the whole range is available without a rig.

exterior-02.jpg

Wait until you see....

the (proposed) 48'

ca.png.4e05127308492e91717d8d6410a435cf.png

Probably done by one of my French interns!

Just had another one apply for an internship yesterday I'm done. Enough. I can't imagine anyone wanting to produce that. Ruby turds look better than that.