bljones

Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

In spite of its audacious originality, that has to be one of the ugliest boats yet in this thread.  That is quite admirable.

Formidable! Have to admire the modest, matter-of-fact description

9 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I admire the bomb under the wheelhouse windows.

I don't know how I missed that but you're right. Kind of like the banjo, not that many boat ads feature a bomb.

I admire that they can get 13 years out of a bottom job. I’m lucky to get two. 

Really not a bad deal there for someone. The boat looks clean and well maintained. 

7 hours ago, Crusty said:

I admire that they can get 13 years out of a bottom job. I’m lucky to get two. 

Really not a bad deal there for someone. The boat looks clean and well maintained. 

It probably is a good deal for anyone who wants such a thing. And I kinda do, just not that bad.

I'd be a bit worried about the 4k hour engine. Those can run a lot longer than that but I have to figure it was subjected to the same maintenance as the predecessor to the 400 hour engine. Which died 400 hours ago.

4 hours ago, Autonomous said:

And rear view mirrors to boot!

Those are definitely ugly and Admirable. The bomb is funny but the place to look for traffic in a boat like that is behind you.

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Those are definitely ugly and Admirable. The bomb is funny but the place to look for traffic in a boat like that is behind you.

The bomb is for getting unwanted dock neighbors to make more room.   Unfortunately, it probably also draws the local SWAT and bomb teams too often.

- Stumbling

5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

The best traffic control on a motorbike is an empty 1 gallon gas jug strapped on the top of your luggage with a bungee so it's loose and flopping around.  Might work on boats too. 

Tad Roberts said on FB that this boat "frequents our bay" so someone is enjoying it regularly. That's always Admirable but I thought it should be brought to the attention of the Society for further Admiration.

32752096_2056809501308983_33168992400677

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Tad Roberts said on FB that this boat "frequents our bay" so someone is enjoying it regularly. That's always Admirable but I thought it should be brought to the attention of the Society for further Admiration.

I admire the shaded helm station, with relatively unobstructed view all around. And the peapod dinghy, that is highly admirable.

FB- Doug

Where do you get lavender bottom paint?

19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Where do you get lavender bottom paint?

In the bin, after excavating the leftover blue and red.

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'm no expert on schooner(?) mast tuning but I'd think you'd want both of them pointing in the same direction?

Apart from the bottom paint/ strange boot topping, I think that boat is pretty cool. It's got an easily handled rig, very protected cockpit and would have a shit ton of room inside.

Lavender bottoms are faster. I bet she could easily average 2.5 knots on a tradewind passage.

I wonder if that tent can stay up when sailing? If so, I agree with dorydude's assessment. A cool ugly boat with inexplicable bottom paint.

And of course the peapod is cool.

7 hours ago, dorydude said:

Apart from the bottom paint/ strange boot topping, I think that boat is pretty cool. It's got an easily handled rig, very protected cockpit and would have a shit ton of room inside.

I dunno about a "shit-ton" of room, it's still a boat...... looks to be about ~45 feet LOA

That's one long skinny room, much of which you couldn't stand up in. I'd like two rooms before calling it a shit ton!

FB- Doug

As much as I am not sure about the color, that boat does look to be properly sorted in terms of neatly flaked sails, no crap on the back, generally tidy and shows a level of seamanship not always apparent in this thread. I admire that.  

• Like 4

The colour scheme is like the suffragette flag. But upside down. I’m sure there’s a joke in that but I’m scared to go there - even on anarchy ;)

So here’s some Bowie: “Wham, bam, thank you ma’am!”

Has this boat been submitted for consideration before?

full?d=1493443229

I admire the change in the mast presentation from bipod to monolithic as you look up.

- Stumbling

That weird boat was around Seattle for many years. Moored at Shishole. I never once saw it out sailing. I heard that a Boeing engineer designed it. It was for sale and the Shilshole broker posted some drawings in his window. They were very well done. The underbody is as odd as the topsides with a quasi International Rule boat type shape.

As whacky as it is I always admired the attempt at something really different.

I'd still like to see it out sailing.

There is a thread on a cartoon of a small vessel with a similar rig over in the Sailing Anarchy group:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/198427-by-the-numbers/

Amoco Procyon was mentioned and the Seattle vessel came up when I was doing some searching for dates when Procyon was built and displayed in the boat show circuit.

Even Google knows how to group strange boats together!

- Stumbling

The a frame mast. Seen it on multi hulls but damn, that’s an ugly way to rig a mono hull

or a multi

3 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Has this boat been submitted for consideration before?

full?d=1493443229

I admire the change in the mast presentation from bipod to monolithic as you look up.

- Stumbling

Bifuricated!

2 hours ago, Airwick said:

Just posted this in another thread and realized it totally belongs here. It's very "special" and there definitely stuff to admire (not the sailing performance though)

AQUASPACE: http://www.aquaspacebonaire.nl/en/the-history-of-the-aquaspace/

dsc_0055.jpg

aquaspace-history-bonaire-8.png

The view from down-below is definitely admirable:

aquaspace-history-bonaire-16.png

Finally, a boat that tries to be everything: Its a monohull, its a catamaran, its a spaceship, its a submarine.   This looks like someone pulled it off of Johnny Quest cartoon show.

The OmniCraft!

I especially appreciate the keel that is so thick and deep, it houses an observation deck.

- Stumbling

3 hours ago, RKoch said:

New meaning of Wishbone Rig...

The Jolly Green Giant says to The Incredible Hulk: Ho, Ho, Ho!  Make a wish and pull!

- Stumbling

5 hours ago, Airwick said:

Just posted this in another thread and realized it totally belongs here. It's very "special" and there definitely stuff to admire (not the sailing performance though)

AQUASPACE: http://www.aquaspacebonaire.nl/en/the-history-of-the-aquaspace/

dsc_0055.jpg

aquaspace-history-bonaire-8.png

The view from down-below is definitely admirable:

aquaspace-history-bonaire-16.png

I think I have seen the boat in person on Bonaire.  Maybe a different boat, but it looks like the same one.

DUH!  Just read the link.  It is the same boat.  lol.

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I think I have seen the boat in person on Bonaire.  Maybe a different boat, but it looks like the same one.

Never occurred to me that there could be more than one like that one.

But it is Admirable.

I admire those giant props, though they make me think the mast should probably be removed. Submarines have sails but not for moving.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:14 AM, MauiPunter said:

So thats where the vessels from Disney Worlds 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea went when they closed the ride!

- Stumbling

On 5/17/2018 at 12:14 AM, MauiPunter said:

Yeah, it used to be in the Turks and Caicos for a long time, that's where I saw it.

I think this is the design inspiration: HorseshoeCrab-Main-1000x469.jpg

It even has the "tail"!

aquaspace-history-bonaire-15.png

This came to my attention on Tad Roberts' FB today:

34509837_2068394360150497_29359773106852

There's a thread about him:

Apparently, he's out to prove that you can go slowly downwind on a small budget. I guess he hasn't heard of Rimas. I'm not sure whether this Yrvind guy has accomplished a lawn darting. His determination is Admirable but that's nothing about the boat itself.

There's gotta be something Admirable about the boat. I guess I need to study it a bit more to figure out what that might be.

He misspelled the name too. 

Hey Buddy, it’s spelled exlAx. OK?

drift on, amigo

I am impressed with the dual rudders. They make a nice backrest for that long downwind slog to New Zealand.

I do admire his reason for going and wish him well.

I admire that it is yellow. 

Anything that slow can't move out of the way of other boats and ships, so best to be able to spot it from some way off so as to avoid.  

On 5/17/2018 at 2:14 AM, MauiPunter said:

I spent an interesting afternoon on that sub/sailboat in St Thomas. Needless to say the owner/designer/creator was equally interesting. Not near as interesting as the cute French girls who were serving as his crew would go skinny dipping around the underwater observation lounge while he and I discussed his philosophy and vessel. I came close to signing on for his next passage...

I think they were bound for the Turks and Caicos at that time.

dsc_0046.jpg

9 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

This came to my attention on Tad Roberts' FB today:

34509837_2068394360150497_29359773106852

There's a thread about him:

Apparently, he's out to prove that you can go slowly downwind on a small budget. I guess he hasn't heard of Rimas. I'm not sure whether this Yrvind guy has accomplished a lawn darting. His determination is Admirable but that's nothing about the boat itself.

There's gotta be something Admirable about the boat. I guess I need to study it a bit more to figure out what that might be.

tandborste-1-450x338.jpg

I admire his attention to detail in organizing his toothbrushes, individual floss/toothpick, driver bits and water bottle.

The carbon fiber spittoon (sink?) is also worthy of admiration. 

Yrvind actually got young women to sail with him over long distances on tiny boats and had the pictures to prove it...an achievement Rimas will never unlock.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, py26129 said:

The carbon fiber spittoon (sink?) is also worthy of admiration. 

I was trying to figure out whether it was a cup or the back of a compass housing.  And whether the bottle was mouthwash or compass oil.  Could get confusing...

I presume that boat is named Bob - after its principal activity?

4 hours ago, jgbrown said:

tandborste-1-450x338.jpg

I admire his attention to detail in organizing his toothbrushes, individual floss/toothpick, driver bits and water bottle.

You’ll have to watch the video. His dentist said his teeth were failing due to age at 79, so he had the guy pull them all. End of problem. 

He did a shitload of miles in a smaller boat back in the day. 

He also used a sextant about 1”x1”  that he devised to save space onboard

We met this one last year on the IJsselmeer in Holland. Really admire the sails (setting them took some time for the solo? skipper) but that hull!

PA241287.jpg

18 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

You’ll have to watch the video. His dentist said his teeth were failing due to age at 79, so he had the guy pull them all. End of problem. 

He rounded Cape Horn in an 11'er. He a nutter, but he's no Rimas.

4 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

Yep. I remember reading about him decades ago...I think his name was Sven something then. He built a 20' something mostly open dory and sailed it across the Atlantic with a chick. He's an oddball, his boats have gotten weirder over time, but has some serious ocean-sailing skillz. 

16 hours ago, MisterMoon said:
On 6/6/2018 at 9:19 PM, Sail4beer said:

Not at all like Rimas, in any way!

Sven is the real deal. Original thinker combined with hard work and a fun attitude.

Not winning any races but he's a very capable sailor

FB- Doug

On 6/6/2018 at 7:15 PM, toddster said:

I was trying to figure out whether it was a cup or the back of a compass housing.  And whether the bottle was mouthwash or compass oil.  Could get confusing...

I bet you'll only confuse it once.

Image result for power puking cartoon

Back in the late 60s I was delivering a B40 and realized I had no toothpaste.  It was early in the morning and I didn't want to wake my companion so I rummaged around the head and found a tube that toothpaste comes in printed with the Colgate logo in Green, turned out that that company also sold shaving cream in tubes for travelers.  I was bearded since high school so I wasn't up with consumer products.  It didn't end well.  I still don't shave.

14 hours ago, RKoch said:

Yep. I remember reading about him decades ago...I think his name was Sven something then. He built a 20' something mostly open dory and sailed it across the Atlantic with a chick. He's an oddball, his boats have gotten weirder over time, but has some serious ocean-sailing skillz. 

Sven Yrvind.   He did a series of smaller and smaller boats, all named Briis.   I think he even had one with removable wheels and a variation of a Unicycle mounted on the rudder pintles for crossing land, slowly:

Yrvind also used a Yuloh oar to propel the craft on windless days.

I bet he had some influence on Wizard's EC boats.

- Stumbling

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guerdon said:

Back in the late 60s I was delivering a B40 and realized I had no toothpaste.  It was early in the morning and I didn't want to wake my companion so I rummaged around the head and found a tube that toothpaste comes in printed with the Colgate logo in Green, turned out that that company also sold shaving cream in tubes for travelers.  I was bearded since high school so I wasn't up with consumer products.  It didn't end well.  I still don't shave.

I think I would have stopped brushing my teeth and started shaving.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HotSnail said:

We met this one last year on the IJsselmeer in Holland. Really admire the sails (setting them took some time for the solo? skipper) but that hull!

PA241287.jpg

Batman - "Quick, Robin!!! To the Batwing Boat!!!"

Robin - "Holy 4KSB, Batman!!!  We will never get the Penguin in time!!!""

- Stumbling

Tad Roberts found this, which I thought deserved the attention of the Society.

35050527_2072167189773214_60252972202642

I think there's too much boat between me and those windows.

It has twin 60 hp sail drives in a walk-in engine room aft. I admire that because no matter how well insulated, being on top of an engine or two is no fun. And because "walk-in engine room" is better than "tiny machinery space that I have to invert and contort myself into."

The Admirable sheer results in side decks that are dog-safe in the heaviest seas, so I admire that too as long as I don't have to look at it.

Tad Robert's comment:

Alibi 44 from French designer Pierre Delion. Pretty obviously plywood, but using something called Nidabeille sandwich in the deck and house. The twin 60 Hp Sole saildrives are an interesting solution. Certainly a walk-in, stand-up engine room in a 44' light displacement cruiser is an achievement. She's 45'2" overall and 43'4" on the waterline with 12'4" beam and 2'8" draft. They claim 17,600 lbs displacement, I assume that's empty (lightship), but even so, unlikely. Claimed top speed is 10.5 knots and 7.5 cruising, fuel 1500 litres and water 880. I think the side decks are a waste but they will provide real security for crew when docking or in canal locks. The aesthetics are a personal thing, take 'em or leave 'em. In general I really like the overall layout but quibble with details like the galley.

On 6/12/2018 at 3:51 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

Tad Roberts found this, which I thought deserved the attention of the Society.

35050527_2072167189773214_60252972202642

I think there's too much boat between me and those windows.

It has twin 60 hp sail drives in a walk-in engine room aft. I admire that because no matter how well insulated, being on top of an engine or two is no fun. And because "walk-in engine room" is better than "tiny machinery space that I have to invert and contort myself into."

The Admirable sheer results in side decks that are dog-safe in the heaviest seas, so I admire that too as long as I don't have to look at it.

Tad Robert's comment:

I get two impressions from this design:

1. Someone hunched down in their London Fog trench coat.

2. A 1980s tan power suit with shoulders up to one's ears.

I admire that neither are positive eye catching descriptions to the side deck railing lines of the boat.

- Stumbling

On 5/15/2018 at 6:08 PM, Uncooperative Tom said:

On 5/15/2018 at 8:15 PM, Steam Flyer said:

I admire the shaded helm station, with relatively unobstructed view all around. And the peapod dinghy, that is highly admirable.

FB- Doug

On 5/15/2018 at 11:23 PM, dorydude said:

On 5/16/2018 at 3:53 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

I wonder if that tent can stay up when sailing? If so, I agree with dorydude's assessment. A cool ugly boat with inexplicable bottom paint.

And of course the peapod is cool.

On 5/16/2018 at 7:05 AM, Steam Flyer said:

I dunno about a "shit-ton" of room, it's still a boat...... looks to be about ~45 feet LOA

That's one long skinny room, much of which you couldn't stand up in. I'd like two rooms before calling it a shit ton!

FB- Doug

On 5/16/2018 at 7:46 AM, bugger said:

As much as I am not sure about the color, that boat does look to be properly sorted in terms of neatly flaked sails, no crap on the back, generally tidy and shows a level of seamanship not always apparent in this thread. I admire that.  

I met these people when I was on Bowen Island last summer! And definitely worth admiring. If i remember correctly they homebuilt it themselves. It's even a bit more narrow than it seems from this picture, but yes, long enough that there's decent room inside. It's quite nice below, but I recall a complaint about it being hard to get at all the storage because of how narrow it was. I may be mixing them up with another Junk-rig I visited in that bay but I think this one is running entirely on solar power for their electric drive motor, or at least they were in the summertime. They're great people and yes, care for the boat a lot and generally know what they're doing. 

EDIT: and yes, the tent does stay up while sailing, apparently it's great for the PNW winters or hot sun. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 1:07 PM, Uncooperative Tom said:

Found in the awkwardly-named West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron (Florida) FB group, a Cuban sailboat.

Cuban-sailboat.jpg

It crossed the Gulf Stream and made it here with about 30 aboard, so I admire that.

It looks somebody put a mast rig on a florida mullet boat:

fs821537.jpg

I admire the audacity to cross the Florida Straights in that vessel.   One bad wave and they would be done.

- Stumbling

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

If that doesn't make you appreciate where you were born...

It does.

I’m frequently grateful for winning the birth lottery. I do reflect on how lucky I am to have been born a white male in a comfortable household in a liberal democracy with rule of law and relatively efficient market economy. I did nothing to earn that privileged starting position.  Had I been born in a much earlier time my extreme shortsightedness would have sentenced me destitution or animal fodder...Had I been born the same time but in Myanmar, Yemen, Libya, Syria...endless list...

I does make me wonder about how the EU and USA are treating people trying to get in whether as genuine refugees or “just economic  migrants”. Canada is lucky to not have to really confront the issue as we have the US as a buffer. We don't get many boat people from St Pierre and Miquelon seeking to escape France.

I agree - I'd guess that almost everyone here did an admirable job in choosing their parents.

The political issues surrounding that Cuban boat are another subject. I was admiring the boat itself for doing its job.

It's almost a work boat. Certainly not intended as a pleasure craft. So almost disqualified from Admiration on that basis.

I admire it because it's a very practical use of very limited available materials. It's got everything it needs to do the job once and nothing else. And it's kinda ugly. Caribbean redneckery.

Some amateur did it, no doubt, but if you told the hero of this thread, Phil Bolger, "I have this tree, this pile of boards, and this clump of whatever that sail material is and I want to carry 30 people across the Gulf Stream once," you'd get something that looks very much like that boat.

• Like 2

Admirable use of a twiggy branch for the gaff. And the main’s headboard is suitably boardish. 

Assuming truth: It’s safe delivery of her passengers under the circumstances probably deserves her being rethreaded to Boats To Admire.

• Like 1

When I lived in the Keys there were frequent landing parties. That would have been the best boat by far. We had a yellow boat wash up after they landed on a mangrove island a few miles away. I would have stayed in Cuba...many boats don’t make the trip.

There were also truck tire tubes lashed together and one pickup truck with inner tubes and a couple of plastic drums holding it up. The driveshaft was connected to a homemade propellor.

• Like 1

Caribbean redneckery.

this is like a "hashtag" for my life lol.

A friend of mine who lives in florida told me once that he and group of his buddies (including a cuban guy) got invited to go sailing and the cuban guy was SUPER excited. when the party got to the dock the owner of the sailboat noticed that the cuban guy was the most excited and asked him "have you ever sailed before?" and the cuban guy, in all seriousness, answered "only a door!" lol

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

truck raft from behind

truck_starboard2_large.jpg

This Mercury Taxi is pretty slick!

taxi boat getting pulled over by Coast Guard

This is fan-damn-tastic....I have an old schoolbus that needs this treatment.

so this is basically just a 78 page thread of bullshit that I would do.  My husband just tried to forbid me from looking at this thread because he doesnt want me getting ideas.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Savage2288 said:

so this is basically just a 78 page thread of bullshit that I would do.  My husband just tried to forbid me from looking at this thread because he doesnt want me getting ideas.

This is the shallow end of the pool. You should check out the Hot Rod catamaran thread for over-the-top weirdness. 

59 minutes ago, Savage2288 said:

this is like a "hashtag" for my life lol.

A friend of mine who lives in florida told me once that he and group of his buddies (including a cuban guy) got invited to go sailing and the cuban guy was SUPER excited. when the party got to the dock the owner of the sailboat noticed that the cuban guy was the most excited and asked him "have you ever sailed before?" and the cuban guy, in all seriousness, answered "only a door!" lol

There is plenty of Florida Redneckery when it relates to watercraft.   There have been an occasion or two where I have drifted to that darker side of the neck when it comes to boats.  

I just make sure there's no documentation....

-Stumbling

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

truck raft from behind

truck_starboard2_large.jpg

This Mercury Taxi is pretty slick!

taxi boat getting pulled over by Coast Guard

I didn't know Woody was Cuban.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

This is the shallow end of the pool. You should check out the Hot Rod catamaran thread for over-the-top weirdness. 

yeah but see.....I am not capable of LEGITIMATELY building a 65x32 catamaran......I would probably build it out of reclaimed garbage and foam board insulation from homedepot #twiggymastforthewin

23 minutes ago, Savage2288 said:

You can work with that.  Buy a book of Bolger plans and tell husband you have listened to him and are being all sensible

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Savage2288 said:

yeah but see.....I am not capable of LEGITIMATELY building a 65x32 catamaran......I would probably build it out of reclaimed garbage and foam board insulation from homedepot #twiggymastforthewin

That's essentially what he did.