bljones

Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

Did anyone ever admire Raw Faith?

I can't even tell what Maxx posted there.

In all seriousness, I admired Raw Faith- and I've seen the boat and met the owner. I admire all these home built designed monstrosities, I posted an admiring note in the thread on the plywood cat being built in California that won't float for more than a minute after it meets the first wave more than 4" high.

I mean it. I salute these people that have such raw faith in themselves that they do these things, and I respect the pride they feel for their babies, and I feel for them when they fail, and their raw faith gets a rude comeuppance. I know it is going to happen, and know they "deserve" to have their faith destroyed, but I admire them and their efforts nevertheless.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. And it is an old tradition on the sea that we fellow mariners who know better will try and help them. I know several people that spent time and money trying to get the builder of Raw Faith to get a little sense into his head, and good on them for it.

Tucky, I'm with you on this. I helped George and his sons (I work in a fairly well know marine store in Maine) when they first embarked on their build. I was a conflicted by their lack of knowledge about systems, yet admired their commitment to their mission. The true measure of the man was his belief that it could be done, one of his sons bought a small, 27' cape dory or bristol, and sailed south. Really nice kid and as far as I know is still cruising around down south....if he came back and wanted a job I would hire him in an instant.....

i admire anyone who has the tenacity and enthusiasm to get on the tools and do it. However, that admiration is tempered when one persists, to all advice, and effort provided to the contrary, in doing it provably and demonstrably wrong. if you're a know-nothing neophyte who repeatedly resists and rejects the advice of those who have BTDT because, even though you know nothing you are too stubborn to deviate from your own ill-conceived plan, then admiration is replaced by exasperation.

I'm all about doing it cheap and doing it myself, but I can't applaud failure due to an inability to adapt for success, no matter how noble the intent.

i admire anyone who has the tenacity and enthusiasm to get on the tools and do it. However, that admiration is tempered when one persists, to all advice, and effort provided to the contrary, in doing it provably and demonstrably wrong. if you're a know-nothing neophyte who repeatedly resists and rejects the advice of those who have BTDT because, even though you know nothing you are too stubborn to deviate from your own ill-conceived plan, then admiration is replaced by exasperation.

I'm all about doing it cheap and doing it myself, but I can't applaud failure due to an inability to adapt for success, no matter how noble the intent.

Thank you, you said this second part much better than I did- not heaping scorn or laughing, but not applauding failure.

Some folks are just driven, but only ones that have a bit of humility get somewhere.

Elegua, where have you been this whole thread? Those are some outstanding ugly boats.

Except the metal one. It's just ordinary ugly, all except for the davits. Now we know where Bob got the ones for Catari. ;)

Tucky, I think you are admiring the people, not the boat, when it comes to Raw Faith, and I share the admiration for anyone who builds a boat. At least some admiration for doing it vs talking about it. But as with the plywood catamaran, not so much for the execution.

I'm sure a similar boat has already been posted, so I'm sorry for the redundancy. Something about it just reminds me of a Star Fleet shuttle...

post-74403-0-33376500-1359478123_thumb.jpg

I'm sure a similar boat has already been posted, so I'm sorry for the redundancy. Something about it just reminds me of a Star Fleet shuttle...

It's a good thing Greever isn't here...

Unfortunately, I find most of the S2 line just a little off. Not that they aren't good boats, but they just aren't quite right. I think it's the windows.

Not easy to do a center cockpit boat in that short LOA.

Not sure I like the new avatar Bob......

Here's an O'Day 32, about the same size. I always thought it looked a little plain, but certainly not ugly. The big difference is that the cockpit is set into the hull, not applied on top. The S2 must have a lot more room inside. There is an aft-cockpit version of the S2 looks fine.Probably Arthur Edmunds would have used a different hull, especially a different stern, for a CC boat if that was the original spec.

1977-EnjoyingACruiseOnAnODay32.jpg

Semi, i agree, a walkover CC can be relatively attractive, but a walk-through? not so much.

I do think the quality of the S2s accomodations offset the arguable attractiveness, IMO.

IMG00152-20111013-1627%281%29.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7crIuX8s5DZYDNRoEd1amam8vv12tr1UZvIh6iy3dba3ADUClkYvBYxhhQPaq1how8A5Ndt6_d9oO2hbuO5ZvKM7y0Yas6xy1KkPQFV1wIs8hfZAv9gSpC5xCwmStvywkFfzSrWOEmbFbPlfRpXPForxvIYaCqxFwE5J2rGDnroU8xhrBXKfCraQ4u6X_sbcMKM1eNQX_bZ09P38mMx2NZqHbJ3lV1XNdCGHH7XhfhxTBP81xP4K736PNP-TRiE8KsGh83kg&attredirects=0

If you liked that S2, you will simply love this one! Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...front%20s2%208.0c.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cq8SSJijcI2XEMAs0MEot8_Zv3VqvUTkFHtSZfc-Bo3vFTB43SZhddicjndyMb_F1hGPIbPkJ_xELGo0b0aB_HmsL5nEPaE4B563E0CN_axeW3slcgZUMW1uYvIVfRlRTwdBHteyWj_ba8DL4RebAhicPT37nkW_34y12MjHpwt6qsWSWWKOnS2fg1FmTsgwhBHrN4pnKMe8ksfTFP6QtOAVu9NMJ8tZ7soAHGHzMS2McLW_Ig%3D&attredirects=0

post-33902-0-02196700-1359482343_thumb.jpg

post-33902-0-92641200-1359482404_thumb.jpg

90615181054388803962.jpg

Huh? Hardly belongs in the company of some of the gems on this thread....

This belongs in the thread about the guy building the enormous catamaran in San Rafael

Metal too....

46597d1282248367-good-bad-ugly-steel-building-methods-dscn1146.jpg

It's got davits, bilge keels and a springy sheer....what's not to like? I bet you it carries enough diesel to steam across the South Pacific. I see an 50's chevy in the pilot house

Hey - I like that one - it's got a nice workboat feel to it.

I think I have a fetish for bilge keels. The idea that your boat can stand up on its own.....attracts me yet it is unnatural.

TRY_OUT_024.jpg

I think that's why I picked on the poor corribee

It's been a long day at the salt mines in Taiwan, so it's off to bed.....thanks for the kind words Mr. Bob.

But one last suggestion....

Aviateur_Underbody.jpg

Could it be fast?

Oh my. God.

Can IMAGINE the pounding uphill in any sort of seaway ? That second one definately falls in the "is that the box it shipped in ?" category. I wonder how it sails.

Metal too....

It's got davits, bilge keels and a springy sheer....what's not to like? I bet you it carries enough diesel to steam across the South Pacific. I see an 50's chevy in the pilot house

Yeah, I like it too.

I like this view from the side, but I can imagine feeling pretty exposed crossing the saloon roof on your way to the foredeck.

Aviateur_Underbody.jpg

Could it be fast?

Oh my. God.

Can IMAGINE the pounding uphill in any sort of seaway ? That second one definately falls in the "is that the box it shipped in ?" category. I wonder how it sails.

Note the dual rudders. Lay that baby over at a 45 degree angle and you have a nice V shaped hull- won't pound a bit. The rudders are almost orange (probably a red shift from such speed)- that is your clue. There is a class of them. Sponsored by dentists.

Actaully:

If you picture that hull heled over 28 degrees it will present a sharp V-ed entry to the water. Motoring along into a short chop could produce some slapping but upwind in a breeze, no problemo. I think.

Aviateur_Underbody.jpg

Could it be fast?

Oh my. God.

Note the dual rudders. Lay that baby over at a 45 degree angle and you have a nice V shaped hull- won't pound a bit. The rudders are almost orange (probably a red shift from such speed)- that is your clue. There is a class of them. Sponsored by dentists.

Actually looks kind of cool, homebuilt class? The name reminds me of someone...

Sometimes it's not easy doing a center cockpit, period.

For your consideration & comment, the Grampian 34.

Sea%20Bee%202.JPG

To my eye, the hull looks fine but the cabin arrangeemnt, yeech.

Sometimes it's not easy doing a center cockpit, period.

For your consideration & comment, the Grampian 34.

Sea%20Bee%202.JPG

To my eye, the hull looks fine but the cabin arrangeemnt, yeech.

That looks like a bad Photoshop job it's so weird. Grampians...there's a reason George Cuthbertson (I think) bought the molds so he could chainsaw them.

Actually looks kind of cool, homebuilt class? The name reminds me of someone...

5.7m = 18.5 ft. One can stand more splashing in a small boat.

There are lots of French multi-chine designs like this. This particular boat is by this guy: http://www.hensevalyachtdesign.com/

Metal too....

Yeah, I like it too.

Cover up the underbody at the DWL and you have handsome motor sailer in my opinion.

90615181054388803962.jpg

I got the photo in my email this morning from a gentleman in Spain who built it. I designed it about 10 years ago. I was fishing for complements. :)

90615181054388803962.jpg

I got the photo in my email this morning from a gentleman in Spain who built it. I designed it about 10 years ago. I was fishing for complements. :)

Is he actually sitting in it or walking along the bottom? :)

Mister Moon:

I thought it was grand looking vessel. I had no idea why it was posted here.

The rudder head looks to spindly to my eye. But that's just me.

90615181054388803962.jpg

Is he actually sitting in it or walking along the bottom? :)

Appears to me he is having fun. But I have an untrained eye.

http://i95.photobuck...pse72030f6.jpeg

wow.. what to say... the add is good as well.

http://bc.kijiji.ca/...QAdIdZ442668733KGrHqJjYFCQFDJTWBQ2-LpiEoQ48_20_zpse72030f6.jpeg

How do these people wind up with boats like this???

Looks like it's moored in Saltery Bay near Jervis Inlet. But then again there are a lot of place that are just rocks, water & Xmas trees in that area. It looks suspiciously like a stone boat that was a liveaboard in Westview so it makes sense. They painted it banana yellow at one point - yikes!

Probably another fine John Sampson design.

Ad says: "serious inquiries only" LOL - seriously???

I was wondering why you thought that one belonged in this thread too, Mister Moon. It's not ugly, it's just tiny.

Maxx, any inquiry on that boat would be a serious sign of polynavicular morbus, would it not?

I have posted the boat with the garden shed in the back yard for everyone's amusement and derision before, but never with the super cool bamboo gangway, so here you go...

shed-boat-gangway.jpg

While I'm up - here's "Bricky".

post-1185-0-72534500-1359504268_thumb.jpg

Apparently it wasn't very fast but it was built like a brick shit house!

It was on SA years ago. Probably a Photoshop deal - not mine just sharing with the class.

In my mind there are worse things than ugly....like nondescript...

Salt mines of Taiwan? But just think of the dinner you can have.

Dinner yesterday was excellent, but yesterday was also salt mine. I really do not enjoy board meetings. Does anyone? I kept looking out the window at the trees to see if the NE wind was blowing.

Elagua:

I am running out of tea. I need some good tea. Do you think we can arrange something?

Robert Chen from Ta Chaio sent me some tea but it was so-so. Mama hoo hoo.

I am not after free tea. I just want good tea.

I could tell you tea shop stories but you have probably heard them all.

I was young.

Yes, I have a line on some excellent tea. It's a great feeling when you walk into a local shop after 6 years being away and they remember who you are. We can work something out if I have your address. You like Wen Shan Pao Chong? My tea guy won a prize last year.

31071.jpg

It's an offshore Optimist.

Ugly can be many things... no wait, maybe it's one single thing with many aspects

For example, a boat that is unhandy & slow, tippy & fragile, or has multiple untraceable leaks... a boat an have sleek sweet lines and be a totally intractable bitch, utterly impractical and a wallet-buster, yet the looks melt any onlooker... that may be the ugliest boat of all !!

There there are boats like this

3Id3pb3H45N75F95Hdd1fb4102cf3837e12ec.jpg

It's not the boats fault this time, poor thing

FB- Doug

Ugly can be many things... no wait, maybe it's one single thing with many aspects

For example, a boat that is unhandy & slow, tippy & fragile, or has multiple untraceable leaks... a boat an have sleek sweet lines and be a totally intractable bitch, utterly impractical and a wallet-buster, yet the looks melt any onlooker... that may be the ugliest boat of all !!

FB- Doug

Bucc18. By Chrysler, judging from the jib track location. Pressure wash that puppy, move the sheeting inboard, put some fresh North rags on it, & you could finish top 3 at Nationals, Doug. Really. They clean up well. 'Intractable bitch" is a fair description of the Bucc18, however.;) Think we'll sell ours this year.

FB- Doug

Bucc18. By Chrysler, judging from the jib track location. Pressure wash that puppy, move the sheeting inboard, put some fresh North rags on it, & you could finish top 3 at Nationals, Doug. Really. They clean up well. 'Intractable bitch" is a fair description of the Bucc18, however. ;) Think we'll sell ours this year.

Maybe with the pressure washer, you could cut a channel to the lake too... so yo wouldn't need a trailer and those remnants it's sitting on could be left to continue mulching.

The Bucc 18 is a nice boat but this particular one is likely to need a hell of a lot more than a clean-up and new sails. From what I've seen it's in the 'pay me to haul it away' category because it needs about as much as a new one would end up costing... not counting your time, of course...

Pic was a poor example of what I was rambling on & on about

FB- Doug

was looking for a decent pic of a d&m 22, but this is uglier:

gallery_8505_168_31424.jpg

This is a pic of Annie Hill on the boat that she modified to a junk rig. You might remember her as the author of "Voyaging On a Small Income". She and her then husband, Pete, voyaged extensively on one of Benfords flat bottomed dories, 34' loa and junk rigged. After they split up, I suspect she didn't/doesn't have any larger income than the 'small one' they sailed with. Overall, I'd say she doesn't really deserve to be in this thread.

But, you guys didn't know....

Not being skilled with tools I applaud anyone who can build a boat.

I get nervous when I have to hang a half model.

Thats really weird Bob, must be a genetic mutation.

This is a pic of Annie Hill on the boat that she modified to a junk rig. You might remember her as the author of "Voyaging On a Small Income". She and her then husband, Pete, voyaged extensively on one of Benfords flat bottomed dories, 34' loa and junk rigged. After they split up, I suspect she didn't/doesn't have any larger income than the 'small one' they sailed with. Overall, I'd say she doesn't really deserve to be in this thread.

Sounds like quite a lady Veegs.

• Downvote 1

Veegs:

I was not sure what that boat was doing o this thread. It's no tremendous beauty but it's far from ugly. It's a wee bit awkward but so am I.

I'd have to agree, One thing about this boat is that is was (is) sailed often, to be honest, I haven't seen it about lately, Maybe I haven't been paying attention.

Sailing to the Able Tasman (where this pick is taken) from Nelson is a bit of a hard slog to windward, some folk just leave early before the wind gets up and motor. The ride back on a good summers day is awesome and the junk rig, with the ability to reef off the wind (the wind tends to build during the day) wouldn't be a bad choice. Don't know if she typically sails up, but hat's off if she does.

• Downvote 1

We're admiring her boat! Didn't you see the thread title? ;)

That is just wild.

Is the junk rig easy to handle?

That is just wild.

Is the junk rig easy to handle?

The whole point of putting the junk rig on a western-style boat is supposed to be easy handling. The person to develop this notion was Blondie Hasler. You can read up on it here. The picture below was label as Jester and associated with Val Howells. I think that makes it the second Jester, not Hasler's original. Whatever it looks like, this boat has accomplished too much to be called ugly.

jester.gif

Look at JESTER, remarkable boat but slow. I actually remember when it was new. Look at that junk sail and just how high the center of pressure is on that sail. Why is so high above the deck? It was a long time ago. Guys were still figuring things out.

Got to go. I have things I need to figure out.

I screwed up on the link to the Jester site: http://www.jesterinfo.org/

The original Folkboat design competition was in 1942. No wonder it's slow by modern standards. Today, the same pile of materials would be made into a boat looking like the Aviateur (above).

I always put the Centaur at the top of my list of ugly boats.

But after this thread, it doesn't seem so bad at all. Not pretty, but a long way to get to ugly.

post-57448-0-96873800-1359563602_thumb.jpg

"True ugliness is in its earnestness."

Now that is profound. I think you hit on it Elegua. Somebody worked very hard to achieve these upper levels of ugly. Ugly just isn't an accident.

I think this would fit your bill:

uglyboat.jpg

The wide angle lens only raises the bar on this one.

Black:

There you go, raising the bar for ugly. I truly feel bad for that poor boat. I struggle to find an excuse for that level of ugly.

You know, sometimes you see a photo and you think, "I should never have looked at that photo. It's going to haunt me."

Can we at least call Jester funny-looking?

Yes. And I agree with you it's a classic in an odd eclectic/eccentric way. But there are a lot of "My Way" boats in this thread. Jester gets a pass for been there/done dat. Boats cobbled together on their Lafarge 42 trimarans, tastefully appointed in the interior with particle board, shag carpet & photo teak? Ah no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aht9hcDFyVw

I always put the Centaur at the top of my list of ugly boats.

But after this thread, it doesn't seem so bad at all. Not pretty, but a long way to get to ugly.

I always thought the adjective that best described these was 'earnest'.

I always thought the adjective that best described these was 'earnest'.

You mean like this;?

EGTC028.jpg

eb6brb.jpg

Nauticat 33

I don't think this is ugly. It's practical and kinda funky. But then again, I like many different years of BMW motorcycles too.

Yup. Looked at one, seriously, in our search for a boat. Marine Service center had one. It actually had a lot going for it. The pilot house was great, the aft cabin nice and the galley to forward berth was laid out really well. Apparently another good feature is that the decks are *solid*, not cored. We were considering the motor-sailer type boats but, really decided that sailing was more a priority.

When it came down to it, we picked a pilot house that was on a much, much better hull that sailed much better than a Nauticat can.

There are tons of them in the northern Baltic. However, this picture is the first time i ever saw one sailing. I even know a few people who haven't bothered to rig theirs for years. The S&S designed ones are apparently pretty nice...

I'm with Georg. No excuse for thal level of ugly with a builder that skilled.

Reminds me of that joke about the guy who pretends to be blind so he can go into a bar on a very hot day and take his dog with him.

Bartender tells himn he can't bring the dog in.

Guy says, "I'm blind and this is my seeing eye dog."

Bartender saydd, "That's a Chihuahua."

Pretend blind guy says, "Oh, is that what they gave me."

I'm with Georg. No excuse for thal level of ugly with a builder that skilled.

Reminds me of that joke about the guy who pretends to be blind so he can go into a bar on a very hot day and take his dog with him.

Bartender tells himn he can't bring the dog in.

Guy says, "I'm blind and this is my seeing eye dog."

Bartender saydd, "That's a Chihuahua."

Pretend blind guy says, "Oh, is that what they gave me."

If you think the Nauticat is ugly, I will not argue that point at all. In the overall scheme of things, I will bow to your judgment on this issue.

We just didn't find it as pretty as other boats, but it wasn't ugly to us.

BJ:

Please don't bow to my anything. I am not Lord Grantham. A modest amount of grovelling is however encouraged and appreciated.

To my eye it's simple. I look at your boat I see a handsome boat pleasing from any angle.

I look at that Nauticat and I see an ungainly look vessel not pleasing from any angle.

You can say it's all subjective. Most people would buy that.

Not me.

BJ:

Please don't bow to my anything. I am not Lord Grantham. A modest amount of grovelling is however encouraged and appreciated.

To my eye it's simple. I look at your boat I see a handsome boat pleasing from any angle.

I look at that Nauticat and I see an ungainly look vessel not pleasing from any angle.

You can say it's all subjective. Most people would buy that.

Not me.

All right, a little groveling then.

Naaa, I would not dismiss your informed opinion on the design of the Nauticat. That's lazy. I accept your opinion on it's value.

It just didn't hurt our eyes as much. Now, after living on and sailing our boat, I think our opinion would be less neutral or forgiving.

We went are going to the Seattle boat show this week and, I'll tell ya, we walked inside a couple of the Benny's there and...just blah. Not ugly so much as just...

Plain, plain, plain.

We got home to Brigadoon and the first thing Kerry said was, "Our boat is beautiful. I'm glad we are on this one and not one of those."

BJ:

Great. We want to keep Kerry happy. You are not going to find the joinerwork you have in any modern production models.

eb6brb.jpg

Nauticat 33

That would be a nice little motorboat without those little masts. Even little ones are in the way on a motorboat.

Y'know, it's funny, I think a nauticat 33/36 is a boat that looks a hell of a lot better in person than it photographs.

And it is one boat which does not benefit from an abundance of brightwork on the house.

StarboardView1.jpg

I kinda like this:

It looks like the offspring of a drunken one night stand involving a 4-4-0 locomotive and a Nonsuch.

11365300_102_240920101621_20.jpg

11365300_102_240920101621_19.jpg

The sailboat for someone wanting to avoid all contact with the outdoors ? Just keep a dish of saltwater on the dashboard of the pilothouse and toss some in your face every now & then...

BLJ I like it too. Doesn't look very practical but it's cute. The wood grain flashing along the stem is a puzzler though. I guess in the PacNW there's nothing better to do than gratuitous varnishing, and it lasts a long time 'cuz there's no sun?!?

FB- Doug

I've always felt a DynaRig classes up any motorsailer.

100_0031RGB-web.jpg

Yours for a million-three.

Edit: Here's what you call 'trying too hard to be too many things."

sweetsea.jpg

It's a salty double-ender! No wait -- it's a modern, Stealth-influenced motor yacht!

You are right, it does look better. And it allows you to move ... the headsail tack ... to the weather side.... Nevermind.

(Better proportions on a multi; even less reason for existence.)

ETA: This thread is going to murder our bandwidth allowance. Ran across this helm-station photo, appropos of nothing. Is there a name for such a steering arrangement? If not, I nominate Douchepit.

perini-navi-6.jpg

You are right, it does look better. And it allows you to move ... the headsail tack ... to the weather side.... Nevermind.

ETA: This thread is going to murder our bandwidth allowance. Ran across this helm-station photo, appropos of nothing. Is there a name for such a steering arrangement? If not, I nominate Douchepit.

perini-navi-6.jpg

That's perfect. Douchepit® it is.

They all look like they're wearing frilly black panties.

perini-navi-6.jpg

KILL IT! BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!

BJ,

That is a fun and fugly boat - however - the companionway looks like it's off-center :o Clearly a major hazard at sea.... wherever that is.

BV

I kinda like this:

It looks like the offspring of a drunken one night stand involving a 4-4-0 locomotive and a Nonsuch.

It's kinda cool.

I kinda like this:

It's kinda cool.

It looks like the hull and rig started life as a catboat.

I would classify it as a Tryhard.

All right. Settle down. That catboat is owned by a kid I knew in high school. He was very popular kid and a year older than I was. But, he was kind of a nice guy and we always got along. Probably one of the skills that made him so popular. I had no idea that was his boat uintil a guy contacted me for consultation. Holy Whitholz Batman! It's a catboat power cruiser with sort of a rig. I drive by it when I go for fish and chips at the marina ( now I don't have a boat there).b It is truly a funky boat but ugly?No. Weird? Yes.

BJ,

That is a fun and fugly boat - however - the companionway looks like it's off-center :o Clearly a major hazard at sea.... wherever that is.

BV

And it's off-set to port! Very Dangerous!

• Downvote 1

perini-navi-6.jpg

KILL IT! BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!

I actually like the Douchepit steering wheel better than the more common sailboat solution of scattering instruments and engine controls all around the cockpit and/or stacking them in visibility-obstructing pods on top of the pedestal. Maybe it's the powerboater in me, or possibly the number of times I have had to ask people to move out of the way of some instrument I would like to read, but having instruments and controls at the helm station appeals to me.