bljones

Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

Anyone who's read Arthur Ransome's "Coot Club" should recognise this one, not ten miles from me at the moment..

_MG_7475[1].jpg

• Like 3

I submit the following vessel for approval. The baffling hull shape is partly explained by the [previous?] owner's explanation that it is wrapped around "a 1943 American Liberty Launch" with two inch planking. Its general ugliness needs no glossing, but the admiration comes from the fact that she does seem to have sailed through the NW Passage from Alaska to Killybegs in Donegal, where she now lies, weeping and unloved.

IMG_5705.JPG

IMG_5708.JPG

IMG_5709.JPG

2 hours ago, The Q said:

Anyone who's read Arthur Ransome's "Coot Club" should recognise this one, not ten miles from me at the moment..

_MG_7475[1].jpg

The Anti-Clinker:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Mr. Ed said:

I submit the following vessel for approval. The baffling hull shape is partly explained by the [previous?] owner's explanation that it is wrapped around "a 1943 American Liberty Launch" with two inch planking. Its general ugliness needs no glossing, but the admiration comes from the fact that she does seem to have sailed through the NW Passage from Alaska to Killybegs in Donegal, where she now lies, weeping and unloved.

IMG_5705.JPG

IMG_5708.JPG

IMG_5709.JPG

I am impressed by the bulb keel addition, that just quite does not match the root of the keel stub on the hull.   Either a result of a "Maths bug bite" or that the bulb came from "Somewhere Else," resulting in a "that'll do" fit job.

- Stumbling

41 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:
1 hour ago, Mr. Ed said:

IMG_5709.JPG

I am impressed by the bulb keel addition, that just quite does not match the root of the keel stub on the hull.   Either a result of a "Maths bug bite" or that the bulb came from "Somewhere Else," resulting in a "that'll do" fit job.

The bow has the look of something added on, that is not quite right. I admire the way it provides solid base for the bobstay.

And the mizzen mast with no shrouds. That is also admirable

FB- Doug

3 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

I wouldn't have thought that bow shape came from planking.  In fact, to my very untrained eye, the front half with that strange knuckle? and hard bilges seems like a different hull than the softer, sweeping stern.

Very unusual - good find.

18 hours ago, Bull City said:

How about the Outstar 48?

image.png.ea67933827de05bbe7a115885b9decf5.png

I could live with that if not for the arch.  Just kills it.   Am surprised no hull windows.

5 hours ago, Bull City said:

Maybe another wheel too.

I was referring to the Outstar.

-- Quoting myself again

I admire how the jackstands on Impericus are lined up in a very straight line.  

22 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I could live with that if not for the arch.  Just kills it.   Am surprised no hull windows.

The arch is odd. It is too far aft to use as part of a dodger and mainsheet anchor point like the ones on Beneteaus. It's only function seems to be a mounting platform for the solar panels, and it's rearward position makes the boat seem unbalanced visually. It reminds me of the the giant wings street racers put on the trunks of their Corollas.

On 5/2/2019 at 5:32 PM, bugger said:

I admire how the jackstands on Impericus are lined up in a very straight line.  

That'll be the yard's work! Mooney Boats - a very professional outfit . . .

On 5/2/2019 at 3:05 PM, steele said:

The arch is odd. It is too far aft to use as part of a dodger and mainsheet anchor point like the ones on Beneteaus. It's only function seems to be a mounting platform for the solar panels, and it's rearward position makes the boat seem unbalanced visually. It reminds me of the the giant wings street racers put on the trunks of their Corollas.

But those overhang the aft end of the cars.

If that arch thing did, it would be a good place for davits and rod holders.

The trunk appears to have been mocked up using Legos. Then they built that shape.

The wind screen is pretty Admirable, I guess. It's ugly and out of place and might prevent a facefull of water.

I like the lego analogy. Usually lego hobbyists use square bricks to produce models with amazing complex shapes, now designers are making boats that are so blocky they could be made of legos in the first place. This makes future lego modelers jobs much simpler, which I guess is admirable?

5461432_20170524094246317_1_XLARGE.jpg

I don't love the arch aesthetically, but appreciate the practicality of the dodger and main sheet system for casual cruising. At first I thought I might mis having a traveler, but that main probably generates so little power that it is not needed.

I hope this guy doesn't find out I nominated his boat. My friends don't seem to take my Admiration well and this is some stranger who happened to contribute a really cool photo to a FB group.

59762706_1266098716890100_82998364634202

And put his name. Oh well.

No fair admiring anything below the sheer.

I Admire generous headroom and railings that would actually catch a tall person instead of just ensuring headfirst immersion.

^^ An abomination! Burn it!

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

^^ An abomination! Burn it!

All the grace of a spastic brick. Sink it.

Wouldn't want to be on it in any rougher seas than the photo. Nice paint. But you couldn't have guests over, and you'd have to wear a disguise getting on and off the thing.

3 hours ago, Happy said:

Wouldn't want to be on it in any rougher seas than the photo. Nice paint. But you couldn't have guests over, and you'd have to wear a disguise getting on and off the thing.

A clown costume would be appropriate, with 30 or 40 friends in clown costumes.

I admire that it probably didn't cost a lot of money

FB- Doug

I admire the artistic qualities of the photo.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

I hope this guy doesn't find out I nominated his boat. My friends don't seem to take my Admiration well and this is some stranger who happened to contribute a really cool photo to a FB group.

59762706_1266098716890100_82998364634202

And put his name. Oh well.

No fair admiring anything below the sheer.

I Admire generous headroom and railings that would actually catch a tall person instead of just ensuring headfirst immersion.

Unless you're amidships.

I admire the spacious roosting area for feathered friends.

And the careful use of a large expanse of white space to ensure the overall design isn't too "busy."

If a trim line were added, breaking up that white expanse and continuing fair from the raised sheer forward that would not be such a bad looking boat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

If a trim line were added, breaking up that white expanse and continuing fair from the raised sheer forward that would not be such a bad looking boat.

It would be an improvement, but to the level of "not such a bad looking boat," I don't know. Now if you were to tear off the superstructure, leaving the raised foredeck, remove the monkey bars, and start over, it could end up OK. Maybe something like this:

bowler1.thumb.png.f52d7dd38924a315320c99bbc4df4901.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bull City said:

It would be an improvement, but to the level of "not such a bad looking boat," I don't know. Now if you were to tear off the superstructure, leaving the raised foredeck, remove the monkey bars, and start over, it could end up OK. Maybe something like this:

Now that's a proper looking workboat! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Now that's a proper looking workboat! 

It’s a Doug Hylan design. If I left sailing, it would be a nice alternative.

OK, back to the uglies. 

On 5/9/2019 at 5:00 AM, Bull City said:

+1

On 5/8/2019 at 10:35 AM, SecondWindNC said:
On 5/7/2019 at 8:41 PM, Importunate Tom said:

Unless you're amidships.

I admire the spacious roosting area for feathered friends.

And the careful use of a large expanse of white space to ensure the overall design isn't too "busy."

OK, I also admire the "OH SHIT" handles along the top of the white space.

I thought by the first few responses that I accidentally put this in mocking ads or something. Of course it's ugly, people, or I would not have brought it here to Admire.

On 5/8/2019 at 3:00 PM, Bull City said:

It would be an improvement, but to the level of "not such a bad looking boat," I don't know. Now if you were to tear off the superstructure, leaving the raised foredeck, remove the monkey bars, and start over, it could end up OK. 

I think this is the offending member 

image.png.4d1b417cd6610f67e24a7b2ce1a7b26b.png

6 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

I thought by the first few responses that I accidentally put this in mocking ads or something. Of course it's ugly, people, or I would not have brought it here to Admire.

Sometimes I loose track of what thread I'm in. Is there a name for that?

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Sometimes I loose track of what thread I'm in. Is there a name for that?

Senility.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Senility.

Thant is so cruel.

24 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Thant is so cruel.

Thant is dead, man.

brian_urquhart_1.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Thant is dead, man.

brian_urquhart_1.png

Not U!

On 5/8/2019 at 12:00 PM, Bull City said:

It would be an improvement, but to the level of "not such a bad looking boat," I don't know.

I dealt with a high performance tuner once who had an expression - "Now it's up to lousy".

We've discussed most of Bolger's work in this thread but was this one covered?

61506544_2475405812483772_73175197184646

I'm not 100% sure it's ugly. It is odd. I Admire that.

2 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

We've discussed most of Bolger's work in this thread but was this one covered?

61506544_2475405812483772_73175197184646

I'm not 100% sure it's ugly. It is odd. I Admire that.

I don't think "Samuel Clyde" does it justice. It should be called something like "Gwyneth Paltrow" or "Bulemic Tadpole".

It has yuge hatches over each entry and another one in the foredeck (that appears to be eating a throwable.) I Admire those.

61188704_2475401552484198_86550566900282

The superstructure has such brutalist vibes that it could easily be used as a third-world military patrol boat.

Perhaps those odd side-decks where the ice chest is sitting are reserved for weapons mounts?

Either my eye, or the boat's scale, seemed off.  It looked like a 35 footer to me in the first pic.  Then I saw the humans in the other and they looked yuge.  Nearly comically, toy boatish.  So maybe its ~27'.   I think the small sliding pilot house door threw me off.  Now focused on the cooler and blue deck chair in the first pic and I've recalibrated my eyes.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toddster said:

The superstructure has such brutalist vibes that it could easily be used as a third-world military patrol boat.

Perhaps those odd side-decks where the ice chest is sitting are reserved for weapons mounts?

I had that thought myself. Not as fast as a patrol boat would be, though.

For some reason it made me think of a piece of mortuary equipment. Not that I’ve ever been in a mortuary. 

Maybe I’m channelling a memory of Venetian hearse launches?

Hearse-boat-Venice-Veneto-Italy-www.ross

3 hours ago, SemiSalt said:
5 hours ago, toddster said:

I had that thought myself. Not as fast as a patrol boat would be, though.

Hey, with the right weapons, it doesn't need to be all that fast.

;)

IIRC this particular Bolger design was conceived to make use of a power plant the client/builder/owner already had, a big stern drive. He wanted a relatively fast cruiser that would also be relatively economical....... IMHO all three goals would be better served with a different power plant, but hey there's human nature for you.

FB- Doug

7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

IIRC this particular Bolger design was conceived to make use of a power plant the client/builder/owner already had, a big stern drive. He wanted a relatively fast cruiser that would also be relatively economical....... IMHO all three goals would be better served with a different power plant, but hey there's human nature for you.

FB- Doug

Bill Garden fulfilled that same design brief way better IMO with Tlingit.

In that case the owner had an Easthope, not a stern drive so it was super economical as well.

image.png.4895b8e927ebb872679db9f0f47a9f08.pngimage.png.18a8012ba1800f91e8755702b74d5f64.png

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hey, with the right weapons, it doesn't need to be all that fast.

;)

FB- Doug

Did someone mention the right weapons

tn_DSC025311[1].jpg

1 hour ago, The Q said:

Did someone mention the right weapons

tn_DSC025311[1].jpg

That looks like the ghost of Sam Kinison !

37 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

who he?

Norfolk Gun punts are mid 19th century design, they later developed into,,

355_display[1].jpg

• Like 1

recognized the punt...but the helmsman happened to look like a deceased comedian from our side

Related image

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

No need for a punt gun.    Sam could kill a flock of ducks with his primal scream!

- Stumbling

Possibly the most inexplicably famous "comedian" in history.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Possibly the most inexplicably famous "comedian" in history.

Does that include Carrot Top?

• Like 2

Yep - CT was just kinda stupid and unfunny.

Kinnison was repulsively unfunny, offensively and disgustingly (and not in a good way) unfunny.

He was like listening to railroad cars screeching around a tight curve.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Yep - CT was just kinda stupid and unfunny.

Kinnison was repulsively unfunny, offensively and disgustingly (and not in a good way) unfunny.

He was like listening to railroad cars screeching around a tight curve.

Matter of taste, I guess. I thought Sam Kinnison was very funny, although he didn't seem to come up with much new material.

Americans can be so-o vulgar

-DSK

Comedy is all a matter of taste. 

I never thought that Andy Kaufman was very funny.  Maybe his Latka Gravas character on Taxi was a little bit funny.  But that kind of provocateur schtick, where people can't tell he's joking them, is usually just painful and unfunny to me.  Sacha Baron Cohen can be funny in some things, but then he takes it way too far with the same Kaufman-like routine.

Redd Foxx was funny.  Rodney Dangerfield was funny.  To me, anyway.

How about this guy?  

4 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Comedy is all a matter of taste. 

I never thought that Andy Kaufman was very funny.  Maybe his Latka Gravas character on Taxi was a little bit funny.  But that kind of provocateur schtick, where people can't tell he's joking them, is usually just painful and unfunny to me.  Sacha Baron Cohen can be funny in some things, but then he takes it way too far with the same Kaufman-like routine.

Redd Foxx was funny.  Rodney Dangerfield was funny.  To me, anyway.

How about this guy?  

He's no Carrot Top.

Kinnison used to be a preacher, believe it or not.  Mostly I remember him screaming and swearing. In that order. 

Dangerfield was funny.  He had that way of self mocking that really hit the mark.  He also looked a lot like my grandfather, who was not a comedian, which made it even funnier - for me anyways.

”Hey, you scratched my anchor!”

Dangerfield was one of the best ever. "When I was born the doctor slapped my mother".

Carlin was the best. "what does Rich Chocolatey Goodness mean? No fuckin' chocolate". His death was a good career move though - towards the end he was just angry, bitter and not really funny anymore.

Ron White is a great one. "You can't fix stupid".

Russel Peters was hilarious but his shtick got tired. "Somebody gonna getta hurt real bad".

Danny Bhoy is really good - his bit about the Scottish diet was priceless.

Lots of others.

Currently I think Chris Rock is the best standup in the business.

Jon, I agree with all of your assessments (especially about poor George Carlin), except for Chris Rock.  I love Chris Rock, but for my money, the best stand up working now is John Mulaney.

But best comedian/worst boater award?  Louis C.K. 

https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2017/april/louis-ck-goes-aground.asp

I also remember an interview he did where he was waxing about his boating skills, and he referred to his "water anchor".  Huh?

This award was given of course before his awful behavior was uncovered and he was actually eligible for a "best" anything award.

Let's not forget Robin Williams. Some of his stuff was hysterical.

I still remember the first time I watched Williams do stand-up.

The jokes & observations & commentary came pouring out so fast I couldn't even keep up with him. His delivery was so explosively fast It always surprised me that he never had a heart attack or a stroke on stage.

I think my favourite of all his work was with Walter Matthau and Jerry Reed in The Survivors.

"You better watch this guy - he's slicker'n whale shit on an ice floe".

Saw Danny Bhoy about a month ago, and it was ok ish but got quite lefty political which grated a bit and took the gloss off the show. 

I've never seen him get political but in my experience most comedians are kind of left.

Right wingers are rarely funny - the evidence is all over this place.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

I've never seen him get political but in my experience most comedians are kind of left.

Right wingers are rarely funny - the evidence is all over this place.

I dunno; SNL doesn't need to write scripts any more.....

• Like 1

Spotted in China, nearby Shanghai. Its (sorry, I can't refer to it as "she") steering wheel is literally a bicycle wheel and this craft was actually making headway under the sail. It has Party's Hammer&Sickle on the mast top. I would say it can be one of the best stage requisites for "Water World II". 

Please don't show it to the guy from the "Home built steel boat" thread...

微信图片_20190609132041.jpg

微信图片_20190609132047.jpg

微信图片_20190609132054.jpg

• Like 1

BS would be proud.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

BS would be proud.

Brent couldn't design a hull that nice on his best day ever.

OTOH I wonder why..... seriously, why???..... they have the companionway padlocked

FB- Doug

8 hours ago, zarin_nsk said:

Spotted in China, nearby Shanghai. Its (sorry, I can't refer to it as "she") steering wheel is literally a bicycle wheel and this craft was actually making headway under the sail. It has Party's Hammer&Sickle on the mast top. I would say it can be one of the best stage requisites for "Water World II". 

微信图片_20190609132041.jpg

微信图片_20190609132047.jpg

微信图片_20190609132054.jpg

The crewman looks like he is dressed for the boat to jump up on foils.   The captain has this look on his face like:"I could sell ice to this eskimo..."

- Stumbling

That's either a passenger (with his motorbike locked safely inside) or he is wearing boom-protection on his head

• Like 1

I admire the rudder blade position to cure that pesky outboard problem.

I see bull rails are admirable in China as well. Long live the bull rail...oh, wait wrong thread...

Nice to see designer Mike Waller has an influence on the nuilder with that stern detail.

http://www.wallerdesign.com.au/ts540.html

b18767535_1696186704017753_3704828299356

7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Brent couldn't design a hull that nice on his best day ever.

OTOH I wonder why..... seriously, why???..... they have the companionway padlocked

FB- Doug

Human traffickers often use locks to keep their cargo under control.

21 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

I see bull rails are admirable in China as well. Long live the bull rail...oh, wait wrong thread...

And in China apparently you can take them with you. All hail and praise!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Autonomous said:
On 6/9/2019 at 8:48 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Human traffickers often use locks to keep their cargo under control. 

Well aren't you just a little ray of sunshine. I would never have thought of that.

I'm sure you're right in general but hope you're wrong this specific time..... not out of any personal malice, please understand. I'm just trying so-o hard to be an optimist and the world keeps making it difficult......

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Feelin' Opti?

I admire Zarin's find as well because not only will a 7.62x39 will just dust apart on contact with the hull, the flat top main looks suspiciously like one of my leaf blower attachments, the destroyer bowis in vogue and it has none of those sissy cleats; he when straight to Samson posts with offset horns. Are they called Sam Soon posts in China?  :lol::wacko:

4 hours ago, woahboy said:

And in China apparently you can take them with you. All hail and praise!

Easy mistake to make, but those are scuppers. Normally the scupper : topside ratio isnt as extreme, but this is clearly a performance vessel and the designer wanted to allow the water to exit the deck with minimum interference. Obviously.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Also admirable is the capacity to carry an entire spare mast aboard

Could be delivering a bullrail as well. All Hail!!

Have to watch those cleatist, scupper, bulwark, handrail crowd trying to convert the righteous bullrailians, samsons and bollardites

• Like 1

No-one has commented on the extreme quality of the splicing on the stays & shrouds.

It is of a caliber I have never seen.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

No-one has commented on the extreme quality of the splicing on the stays & shrouds.

It is of a caliber I have never seen.

The whole rig is a spectacular "wow........"    Mast, standing rigging, running rigging, and finally, sail.   Its as if he ran all over the neighborhood and asked, "are you using that? Good, I'll take it!"

The whole boat is one a caliber as if the boats "creator" found a sailing magazine that had been mysteriously dropped and repeatedly stepped on before the creator picked it up and said to himself "I could build one better than this!"

There are hints on the hull that have some transcendental relationship to existing sailboat designs from MORC, IOR and something closer to a modern boat.    My experience on the transom is a little before time of Mike Waller:

Streaker01.jpg

Kiwi Mini tonner

It finally struck me, its a Chinese mini tonner!   I wonder what it would rate?

- Stumbling

PS, needs to clean the "outboard" propeller.   That cannot be helping it reach its potential....

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 5:35 PM, zarin_nsk said:

微信图片_20190609132047.jpg

That rudder shaft and steering set up look a little suspect.

The thing I don't understand is why he have built such a boat being just a fisherman - 99% of the boats (I allow 1% for this craft now) at the lake are regular ferro-cement with a long-tail outboard or without it.

timg?image&quality=80&size=b9999_10000&sec=1560239789637&di=1f53c8ce734629000340dbfceebc0758&imgtype=0&src=http%3A%2F%2Fs6.sinaimg.cn%2Fmw690%2F005C7nz6gy6IQSglEaxc5

I wonder if it has something below in at least in a shape of sailboat keel - that can say much about if the guy just plagiarized  shapes of sailboats he saw before on the lake or there was at least a bit of study on the subject. 

I was so fascinated with this post-apocalyptic look when we catch up with this thing I didn't ask much questions. The guy shouted out, grinning, that he built this with a budget of 10K yuans (about 1400 USD). 

1 hour ago, stumblingthunder said:

I wonder what it would rate?

I was waiting for this question :)

• Like 1