bljones

Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

On 7/20/2019 at 5:15 PM, Zora said:

Gentlemen, feast your eyes.. the more you look, the more you see

LwU09t8.jpg

2C3onoU.jpg

-ugly dodger: check;

-junk on the trunk: check;

I have to admire the oversized umbrella frame that appears to be being deployed as an anchor - or is it an oversized harpoon, bound with twine to help keep it all together. Admirable.

On 7/14/2019 at 1:17 PM, Israel Hands said:

It's specifically this bit

image.png.0d8dd4b2518da9e9179c6daad3fffe40.png

which looks like it came off the Pippi Longstocking set

LADY BAHI

Kanter

41.45m

TOP SPEED12kts
CRUISE SPEED10kts
RANGE2500nm
DISPLACEMENT75t
BEAM7.0m
GUESTS8
GUEST CABIN4
CREW8
Compare yacht
LADY BAHI is a 41.45m luxury yacht, built by Kanter and delivered in 2007. Her top speed is 12.0kn and she boasts a maximum cruising range of 2500.0nm at 10.0kn with power coming from two 575.0hp Caterpillar C-18 diesel engines. She can accommodate up to 8 people with 8 crew members waiting on their every need. 

She was designed by Manfred Kanter.

Overview

• Name: LADY BAHI
  • Previous Names: LADY BAHI, AURORA, BREAD
  • Yacht Type: Motor Yacht
  • Yacht Subtype: Displacement
  • Builder: Kanter
  • Naval Architect: Manfred Kanter
  • Exterior Designer: Manfred Kanter
  • Refits: 2012

On 7/20/2019 at 10:04 PM, El Boracho said:

Off-center companionway! How can it still be afloat!! CQR anchor! Why is it not on the rocks!

Don't tell @Bull City

On 7/25/2019 at 1:16 PM, woahboy said:

Don't tell @Bull City

I can't even find a companionway!

On 7/21/2019 at 1:41 AM, toddster said:

I could admire... most of that.  As rode hard and put away wet.  

Except for the phone-booth dodger. Not sure about the dink. 

I was going to specifically admire the greenhouse as unabashedly ugly but practical. Really the essence of the thread to me.

Sails cleverly looking to be made from blue tarps.  Had a double take on them.

Competing in the COTT category, a Grand Banks 66

67127266_2390100987979831_67744411527927

As August approaches, I Admire enclosed helm spaces more and more, and that one has room for friends. The giant RIB is probably fast with a crowd aboard so I Admire that too. The kayak is a nice touch. But that is a load of crap on the top and it's kinda Ugly.

On 7/20/2019 at 4:15 PM, Zora said:

Gentlemen, feast your eyes.. the more you look, the more you see

LwU09t8.jpg

2C3onoU.jpg

Strangely Brent wasn't involved?

Don't they know they can't use cardboard to patch the front when it falls off?

I admire the dingy, looks to be an old Sportyak. We had one in the 70's. Looked like a bathtub, rowed like a bathtub, but was indestructible and unsinkable.

4 hours ago, steele said:

I admire the dingy, looks to be an old Sportyak. We had one in the 70's. Looked like a bathtub, rowed like a bathtub, but was indestructible and unsinkable.

I helped haul a waterlogged one on to a dock, it must have weighed several hundred pounds. Took serious grunt from four people.

4 hours ago, steele said:

Not to mention unrepairable.

I guess time has eliminated any bad memories of the noble dingy. There is a theory we block out the unpleasant parts of life, explaining why women do not have only one pregnancy. In our case I think a friend lost it while towing so it never had a chance to get waterlogged. Dad replaced it with an even less expensive version that lacked UV stabilizers in the plastic. Within a few seasons you could poke holes in it with your fingers. Mom got tired of this crap and bought a good fiberglass dingy that we kept for decades, I eventually sold it to Olaf, I suspect it is still going strong.

10 hours ago, steele said:

I guess time has eliminated any bad memories of the noble dingy. There is a theory we block out the unpleasant parts of life, explaining why women do not have only one pregnancy. In our case I think a friend lost it while towing so it never had a chance to get waterlogged. Dad replaced it with an even less expensive version that lacked UV stabilizers in the plastic. Within a few seasons you could poke holes in it with your fingers. Mom got tired of this crap and bought a good fiberglass dingy that we kept for decades, I eventually sold it to Olaf, I suspect it is still going strong.

Let us discuss the materials that a dingy could be made of in a different light.

The light, materials used in a wheelbarrow used to carry manure in a horse barn.  

Plastic (of any kind) breaks easily, cannot stand the stress of everyday use in and out of a barn - failure

Metal (steel especially) One can watch it melt literally before your eyes.  Lasts weeks if lucky - COMPLETE FAILURE

Fiberglass. The EveryReady Bunny of wheelbarrows.  Lasts and lasts and lasts, unfazed by any known nasty substance.  Purchased one in 1987.  Have had to replace the handles (wood) the tire (obviously) but the wheelbarrow with original bed, is still in use at our lake house as this is written.  Enough said

I like my hybrid.   Inflatable fiberglass RIB.  :D

On 7/27/2019 at 8:22 PM, Repastinate Tom said:

As August approaches, I Admire enclosed helm spaces more and more, and that one has room for friends. The giant RIB is probably fast with a crowd aboard so I Admire that too. The kayak is a nice touch. But that is a load of crap on the top and it's kinda Ugly.

I thought it looked OK for what it is, but then I noticed that the Flybridge/Pilothouse is wider and maybe protrudes forward further than the main cabin structure. THAT makes it ugly in  my book. 

On 7/31/2019 at 5:52 PM, On The Hard said:

I thought it looked OK for what it is, but then I noticed that the Flybridge/Pilothouse is wider and maybe protrudes forward further than the main cabin structure. THAT makes it ugly in  my book. 

the large scale of the hull makes that waist-high stern look...ahem...novel

Here's a good one from the Land of Smiles for you all.  Maybe Rimas didn't actually make it back to the USA and somehow got over 2 borders into Thailand?

The 'bimini' is a work of art, and if closed off at the front could make real waves in the ugly dodger thread...

68989157_10156246842936128_6997838568114618368_o.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nlmasopust said:

Here's a good one from the Land of Smiles for you all.  Maybe Rimas didn't actually make it back to the USA and somehow got over 2 borders into Thailand?

The 'bimini' is a work of art, and if closed off at the front could make real waves in the ugly dodger thread...

68989157_10156246842936128_6997838568114618368_o.jpg

Nice commercial photo. Boat is becalmed and only heeling with sails 'filled' due to the helmsman leaning downwind. 

Reminds me of sitting in a McDonalds years ago and noticing that the 'sailboat painting' on the wall had the sails filled on the upwind side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

Nice commercial photo. Boat is becalmed and only heeling with sails 'filled' due to the helmsman leaning downwind. 

Reminds me of sitting in a McDonalds years ago and noticing that the 'sailboat painting' on the wall had the sails filled on the upwind side.

a few years ago the provincial tourism outfit made a new brochure for the area we sail on.  one shot was of a local sailor's Santana 35 under spinaker.  There was almost 0 wind so wayne had the boat under power in reverse to fill the sail...it looked good!

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 9:22 PM, Repastinate Tom said:

That is the first "Convertible" Trawler I have ever seen.   Convertible (yacht term) is a vessel that has a fishing/fighting deck, but is not designed as a sports-fishing boat.   Usually it is a faster planing or semi-planing cruising vessel.

Results in being able to do a lot of different things, in a half-gluteal fashion.

- Stumbling

68426447_2585045645056213_61534044123928

A forward view for galley slaves is an often-overlooked feature and this one has some extremely Admirable viewing ports forward.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:

68426447_2585045645056213_61534044123928

A forward view for galley slaves is an often-overlooked feature and this one has some extremely Admirable viewing ports forward.

Some yellow paint and it would be a floating school bus.

12 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Tom  - that looks like something from Thomas the Tank Engine cartoons. 

yes - like dirty Diesel 10

Image result for thomas the tank engine diesel

Hah! I know it's funny but this is Uglyboat Admiration, not Uglyboat Mocking Anarchy. I can't be the only one who sees something Admirable?

I admire how the red rail paintwork makes its ugly nature stand out in an artistic way...

I admire that it is spotlessly clean.  Somebody loves that boat and it makes them happy.  

And the trucker-style air horn.  I admire the air horn.  Who hasn't (at some point) wanted a trucker air horn on their boat?  

• Like 3

I admire the repurposed look to Tom's find. A mtb hull with a Wayfarer hull with a glass transom backwards and upside down on top combined with an old CN locomotive windscreen and part of of the roof.

8 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

I admire how the red rail paintwork makes its ugly nature stand out in an artistic way...

I hadn't really noticed but now wonder why the red line doesn't run directly along the chine of the upside down hull that Norse referenced.

8 hours ago, bugger said:

I admire that it is spotlessly clean.  Somebody loves that boat and it makes them happy.  

Good point. The best point.

And to your question, yes. The smaller the boat, the more I think it needs a YUUUUGE horn.

17 hours ago, bugger said:

And the trucker-style air horn.  I admire the air horn.  Who hasn't (at some point) wanted a trucker air horn on their boat?  

I was always wanting a steam whistle.    Scuba tank and a regulator to knock it down to 120-150psi, and a four chime whistle.   

I had suggested it for a friend's Santa Cruz 50, so he could give a heads up when either coming into a mark or the finish line.    Too much weight, he said.   That brought up the idea of a signalling cannon, but that is another thread.

- Stumbling

For your consideration:

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Carolina-Skiff-2790-Used/123876017402?hash=item1cd79604fa:g:OqAAAOSwig9dPGgm

A Carolina Skiff, disguised as a pirate ship...

I admire the attempt at being a creative Keys booze cruiser.   As to the rest, it churns my eyes and intestinal track.

- Stumbling

1 hour ago, stumblingthunder said:

For your consideration:

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

I admire the attempt at being a creative Keys booze cruiser.   As to the rest, it churns my eyes and intestinal track.

- Stumbling

I admire the way they left their fenders hanging overside, like real pirates do. And the diagonal lattice on the windows, that's classy.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:
20 hours ago, bugger said:

I was always wanting a steam whistle.    Scuba tank and a regulator to knock it down to 120-150psi, and a four chime whistle.   

I had suggested it for a friend's Santa Cruz 50, so he could give a heads up when either coming into a mark or the finish line.    Too much weight, he said.   That brought up the idea of a signalling cannon, but that is another thread.

Steam whistles are a PITA. The varying density coming out of it gives a very distinctive tone, can't achieve the same sound with compressed air, that's why circus calliopes used steam and have the sound everyone recognizes.

But they make really good 12V compressors to power any kind of air horn you want. I have a three-tone 120dB one on our boat. I wish I had a way to blow it at half or 3/4 volume. But the one time I needed to get some jerk's attention, it worked like a charm.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

For your consideration:

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Carolina-Skiff-2790-Used/123876017402?hash=item1cd79604fa:g:OqAAAOSwig9dPGgm

- Stumbling

"Reason for selling is captain working on other projects.."

That is a scary thought.

23 minutes ago, Bull City said:

"Reason for selling is captain working on other projects.."

That is a scary thought.

Maybe this was another of his projects

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/beaufort-20-viking-long-boat/6957603301.html

20' VIKING LONG BOAT - $5900 

00G0G_hRZnGBn84z7_1200x900.jpg

Yes, it really breathes fire.

"I am selling the boat with all the "accessories". Here's what you get:

The Boat, 1 good galvanized Trailer, 1 Mast and Sail, 7 Oars ( one is a spare), 6 Viking Shields, 6 plastic Helmets, 6 Wooden Swords, 2 Wigs, 3 Beards, 1 real blowable Conch Horn, 3 fake fur Viking Vests and a boat cover."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Steam whistles are a PITA. The varying density coming out of it gives a very distinctive tone, can't achieve the same sound with compressed air, that's why circus calliopes used steam and have the sound everyone recognizes.

But they make really good 12V compressors to power any kind of air horn you want. I have a three-tone 120dB one on our boat. I wish I had a way to blow it at half or 3/4 volume. But the one time I needed to get some jerk's attention, it worked like a charm.

FB- Doug

I've been wanting to replicate the sound of a lighthouse foghorn.  That deep and loud sound that travels for miles.  No success yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

Maybe this was another of his projects

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/beaufort-20-viking-long-boat/6957603301.html

20' VIKING LONG BOAT - $5900 

00G0G_hRZnGBn84z7_1200x900.jpg

Yes, it really breathes fire.

"I am selling the boat with all the "accessories". Here's what you get:

The Boat, 1 good galvanized Trailer, 1 Mast and Sail, 7 Oars ( one is a spare), 6 Viking Shields, 6 plastic Helmets, 6 Wooden Swords, 2 Wigs, 3 Beards, 1 real blowable Conch Horn, 3 fake fur Viking Vests and a boat cover."

The photos look like that's actually well constructed. 

I would be a player but the wooden swords and plastic helmets are a deal killer.  If I am going Viking, I am going VIKING. Heck, no one’s invaded the English coast in a while.  But plastic helmets and wooden swords just won’t cut it against SA-80’s and modern, rapid fire 5 inch cannons.  

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I've been wanting to replicate the sound of a lighthouse foghorn.  That deep and loud sound that travels for miles.  No success yet.

My wife hears a foghorn if I drink something gassy.   Deep and loud sound, that travels for miles...

- Stumbling

• Like 2

8 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

The photos look like that's actually well constructed. 

I wonder if there's another Carolina Skiff underneath it.

• Like 1

68704620_10214897822587302_2147335312714

Or maybe it's cool? I don't know. Is the 59 Impala an uglyboat?

I Admire the color trim on the engine cover but only because I have to Admire something.

• Like 2

Looks like and awesome combo to me. The 59 Impala has always been on of my favorites, the boat looks  OK to.

1 hour ago, Repastinate Tom said:

I Admire the color trim on the engine cover but only because I have to Admire something.

It's cool.  Even the trailer is cool.

1 minute ago, slap said:

That's a really nice combo.

23 minutes ago, slap said:

It's not cool that I can remember when that engine was new. :(

Hell I can remember when that car was new,

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It's not cool that I can remember when that engine was new. :(

Hell I can remember when that car was new,

You need more weed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Cool!

SloopjonB. I remember, I remember looking at the brand new Mercury’s thinking they needed more prop.  I also remember my parents considering purchasing a 1959 Chevy. Bought a nice lightly used 58 Ford.  LAST FORD my father ever purchased. It was a world class LEMON.  

(We were a Johnson outboard, a Chris Craft, and an ILYA Scow family)   

In the summer 1961, my dad drove the family from our home in Miami to California and back in one of these. Mom & Dad in front, my brother, sister and me in back. Top down, no seatbelts, no air conditioning. Insanity!

image.png.973ea9ed916b433245c1246564b971c7.png

10 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:

I wonder if he has one of those propellor trailer-hitch decorations for when he's not towing the boat.

I also wonder if the brake lights and turn signals on the boat's transom really work.

FB- Doug

33 minutes ago, Bull City said:

In the summer 1961, my dad drove the family from our home in Miami to California and back in one of these. Mom & Dad in front, my brother, sister and me in back. Top down, no seatbelts, no air conditioning. Insanity!

409 and a 4 speed - Perfect!  

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

At least the companion way isn't offset.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

But lots of style. ;)

2 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

409 and a 4 speed - Perfect!  

That sent me down a rabbit hole! According to this article, the '59 Impala was such a huge, heavy beast that upgrading to the supercharged 348 (300+ hp) was almost mandatory. Its 0-60 time was still apparently around 13.1 seconds.

For comparison: the 2017 Chevy Malibu's 2.0L turbo four (about 1/3rd the displacement) produces 250hp and a 5.7 sec 0-60 time. :)

GM didn't offer a blown 348. Turbo Corvair was the first forced induction they offered. No blowers until this millennium

Those aircraft carriers were surprisingly light compared to current cars - my dad's '65 Impala convert weighed 3800 Lbs.

A new Challenger weighs 5000, my Jag XJR weighs 4300, my Range Rover is 6200 :blink:

Those old beasts were huge but not nearly as heavy as one would think - no door beams, no bumper beams, no rollover protection, transmissions that one person could pick up - without a hydraulic hoist etc.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Those aircraft carriers were surprisingly light compared to current cars - my dad's '65 Impala convert weighed 3800 Lbs.

A new Challenger weighs 5000, my Jag XJR weighs 4300, my Range Rover is 6200 :blink:

Those old beasts were huge but not nearly as heavy as one would think - no door beams, no bumper beams, no rollover protection, transmissions that one person could pick up - without a hydraulic hoist etc.

The current (C5; C6 & C7) Corvettes secret.  Though the standard Corvette is down on horsepower to many of today’s super cars, the Corvettes performance is as good as or much better.  Dry weight of our 2000 Corvette was roughly 3200 - 3300 pounds.  So with ONLY 345 horsepower, few current vehicles could stay with it.  Good aero helped as well.  Great car, one of two I have owned in my 57 years of driving that I miss.  

No need to speed limit them electronically, they have the aero to stay stuck to the pavement (as long as its dry)

I had one of these babies in the late 80s. 1967...the last year and longest of the suicide-door Lincolns. That thing had the suspension of a queen-size mattress as it accelerated to speed.

Image result for 1967 continental convertible

• Like 2

Not a sailboat, but definitely an abomination of a power boat that already had pushed the boundaries of good taste.

23B32A21-057E-46DB-AD8C-2D87DF171F3F.jpeg.c75ec580b60d0ae37ed2bbf8a15dfcb5.jpeg

2 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Not a sailboat, but definitely an abomination of a power boat that already had pushed the boundaries of good taste.

Not a sailboat? Any sort of crosswind, bet it becomes one!

14 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Not a sailboat? Any sort of crosswind, bet it becomes one!

DDW it should be a flyer!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

A topper on a cathedral hull.    I admire how one can stay dry, while beating their bodies to a pulp in a chop, should the minuscule engine manage to propel the boat to a plane.

- Stumbling

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

I admire how the camper shell is turned the wrong way, and, as Stumbling has noted, how the vessel is adequately powered by an engine so small it looks like a pea head. 

On 8/20/2019 at 7:25 AM, Santana20AE said:

I admire the length of the owner's neck; he would have to be quite the giraffe to operate the engine tiller and see over the top of the truck cap.  Either that, or I admire his literally blind faith in the direction he steers.

3 hours ago, Hukilau said:

I admire the length of the owner's neck; he would have to be quite the giraffe to operate the engine tiller and see over the top of the truck cap.  Either that, or I admire his literally blind faith in the direction he steers.

The owner sits in the sun room, barking orders to the boat worker on the helm.    Helmsman relies on his/her faith in the sanity of the owner!!!

- Stumbling

That is some misplaced faith.

On a David Koresh level.

4 hours ago, Hukilau said:

there are windows on the front of the "cabin"...

On 8/19/2019 at 1:15 AM, Steam Flyer said:

I wonder if he has one of those propellor trailer-hitch decorations for when he's not towing the boat.

I also wonder if the brake lights and turn signals on the boat's transom really work.

FB- Doug

Hey, Doug. Just wondering how the circuit for those break lights might be hooked up?  Could be a good job for a new apprentice - like fetching the tartan colour paint from the lazarette ! :-)

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 9:10 PM, SloopJonB said:

That is some misplaced faith.

On a David Koresh level.

As they approach the overfall on the dam, "Now is as good of time as any to test the 6th mode!   Flip the big lever on the right!!!!"

- Stumbling

I generally like multihulls but this one is, let's say "special"?

I admire that they are actually building this thing that looks like it should have remained at vaporware stage!