• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AAPro

Setting the right hoist

22 posts in this topic

Just acquired a small sports boat with asymmetric kites, I intend to do round the buoys club racing. As we don’t have the luxury of a chart table,is there any way I can set up the boat easily for the correct hoist on different legs.

Confused as to what a chart table has to do with hoists....

so I'd use this... 1251remote_control.jpg

Great.

Are you trying to put the Foredeck Union out of work?

That won't end well for the folks in the back of the bus.

easy, sail non spin. just leave the one you got up. -OR- always use the hatch or companionway (small boat) , always assume port hoist and bring the clew around if you gotta, always take down on the port side, down the same hole it cam out of. it's ready to go up in a jiffy. if it's bigger, have a retriever line on the kite, preferably a belly button. you pull, the kite collapses as you go and you automatically get the foot in.

Now for those girlfriends tits....(or the Ex-girlfriend, we won't tell her)

Just acquired a small sports boat with asymmetric kites, I intend to do round the buoys club racing. As we don’t have the luxury of a chart table,is there any way I can set up the boat easily for the correct hoist on different legs.

I can see your problem......without a chart table you won't know which side to set it......and for weight and cost reasons you probably won't want to add in a galley or a water-maker (these could do the job of a chart table of course)..........let me do some research and get back to you.

i'm just going out......I could be a while.......

I'd use a paper chart, a pencil to mark the bouys/course and course to next mark. wind direction is on your display. and a polar diagram with sail overlap like this.G0PolarPlot.jpg.jpg

ya know, in leiu of a pencil he could use Expedition to figure this out for him. Maybe a toughbook in the cockpit....much easier than installing a chart table and way cooler. figure 6k for the toughbook and expo, and another 10 for the instruments which aren't on the boat yet. Stick a fork in it and call it done!

What do you currently have set up to let you know what socks go with what shoes?

Few small mods, perhaps a sextant, and yer good?

who uses a chart table now in the days of the Ipod, As for what sail to use, there is an app for that.

Or you could just do it the old school way and sail your boat and work out for your self what accualy does work. But that wouldn't be internet sailing now would it. I'm sure none of the top fellas accualy wear out their gear sailing the boat.

As we don’t have the luxury of a chart table, is there any way I can set up the boat easily for the correct hoist on different legs.

I nominate this for Non Sequitur of the Year.

"If it weren’t for my horse, I wouldn’t have spent that year in college."

Despite all the crap from our clever dickheads there is a tool for predicting the wind over the side of the boat for any given compass direction, which is what you want.

Look up Wottac and that will give you the answers

tell the guy who posted the remote yo shuv it up where the sun dont shine

This is really a question best answered by the star of that award-winning video "Sail the Cloth".

Despite all the crap from our clever dickheads there is a tool for predicting the wind over the side of the boat for any given compass direction, which is what you want.

and your not a dickhead replying seriously to an obvious troll

when you pull your own head out of that dark place, you can just eat my fuck.

then buy an ad.

Another serious question on a related topic:

A lot of J/105 have blue spinnakers; will my girlfriend make a good snacktician?

evidence:

2012-06-27_6264_J105-SYC-June-24.jpg

A lot of J/105 have blue spinnakers; will my girlfriend make a good snacktician?

evidence:

only if yer planing upwind on a Tuesday with a full moon... or total lunar ellipse

only if yer planing upwind on a Tuesday with a full moon... or total lunar ellipse

Thank

evidence:

I DISAGREE......I see a black and white one as well. I think this needs a poll....