• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matagi

XP 33 launched, first trial pics!

More here, from the X Yachts site:

http://www.x-yachts.com/seeems/145995.asp?retUrl=javascript:_w.history.back%28%29&lp106905=0

and the written report:

http://www.x-yachts.com/seeems.asp?id=137557

interesting interior shots; maybe the most basic/Spartan X 'Yacht' in a long time, or ever. I agree that this fits in roughly the same bucket as a 105 or the new C&C 101, but with the unquestionable build quality of X Yachts. Looks like a nice boat.

Unless it's at a lower price point - with all due respect, what makes this anything but another 'me too' sail boat? Nice looking, but it looks like a lot of other racer/cruiser retractable sprit boats that have been produced over the past 10-20 years, selling another undifferentiated boat would seem like a real challenge. That keel will be a great kelp catcher though...

Don't get me wrong, this boat w/sprit, tiller, block 'n tackle backstay has huge drool factor for me, but.......

.....how is it that this boat which uses carbon in it's build is 1000lbs heavier than a J33 which was designed 25yrs earlier?

:huh:

Don't get me wrong, this boat w/sprit, tiller, block 'n tackle backstay has huge drool factor for me, but.......

.....how is it that this boat which uses carbon in it's build is 1000lbs heavier than a J33 which was designed 25yrs earlier?

I happened to check out the flex stiffness of an X-35 keel with that of a JBoat...and yes, I can figure out why

it would be interesting to see the $$ difference between this boat and the rest of the segement... how much more would the market pay for, the best construction, performance and maybe rating?

But then you would have to call it a J boat. LOL

The Xp line of boats from X-Yachts are meant to be performance cruiser-racers that can do well under IRC - that's their design brief.

Not only does iRC want a moderately heavy boat in that size range..., but it's also what their customers want for cruising.

Probably half the boats they build spend most of their lives in the Baltic Sea, and the North Sea. I think the customers there know a thing or two about sailboats, and X-Yachts are something sailors there aspire to own.

If you look at the boats that the Xp line are replacing, you will see that they are basically cruising boats that can be raced. If anything, The Xp line is somewhat higher in performance than what they replace - the composite grid gives a lower VCG than the steel grid, and the added beam aft gives more power.

compare, for example, the new Xp-44 with the X-43 which it replaces.

These boats - the Xp line - are not even in their "Race" line of boats. Even that line, which comprises the X-35 and the X-41, are not particularly light - probably in part because of the wish to compete under IRC in addition to one-design.

Put.

Why don't you stick to your specialty of aiming your insulting and idiotic comments at people you haven't met... instead of at guys who have been nothing but decent to you.

Congrats, you've done it again

Put.

Why don't you stick to your specialty of aiming your insulting and idiotic comments at people you haven't met... instead of at guys who have been nothing but decent to you.

Congrats, you've done it again

Or I could just be trying to make a joke with a friend who loves sporty X-Yachts. How does that make me the asshole?

Wow. A sprit on an X-Yacht. Last trip to Denmark in 2005 I respectfully submitted that might be a good idea.

So when the Xp39 with sprit emerges, I get to be X-X-X Yachter.

http://forums.sailin...8

It will be interesting to see if the 33 works. Too many years ago I raced on the 99 and it was a neat racer cruiser with a really tweaky rig plus I sailed on the X 3/4 tonner. So they have good history. For my taste the XP38 gives me warm fuzzies sooo nicely, but in the smaller boats I'd want more surf less hike for todays market.

[the composite grid gives a lower VCG than the steel grid

How would it do that? VCG on the Xp line is very close to the waterline, thus the grid is below VCG. Reducing weight there gives higher VCG not lower.

[the composite grid gives a lower VCG than the steel grid

How would it do that? VCG on the Xp line is very close to the waterline, thus the grid is below VCG. Reducing weight there gives higher VCG not lower.

If the saved wheigt goes into the bulb?