• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

batman007

Looking for Pics

I would like to find some pictures of a boat with a wood mast sailing with carbon or other similar high tech string sail! Anyone help me out please Thanks!

DC's boat Fame has J105 rig and sails I believe.

most of teh J105's have switched over to aluminum masts by now

Fame has wooden masts its a schooner. I did not know 105's came with wood masts as an option, I would have thoughrt given their predilection for being bumper boats thats a bit risky :-). Fame does have a carbon headsdail on forward mast though.

Woody has pics of Fame somewhere in his compendium, maybe "Around Coronados 2011" or something.

Fame has wooden masts its a schooner. I did not know 105's came with wood masts as an option, I would have thoughrt given their predilection for being bumper boats thats a bit risky :-). Fame does have a carbon headsdail on forward mast though.

Woody has pics of Fame somewhere in his compendium, maybe "Around Coronados 2011" or something.

as H2tL pointed out J105 rig (1 of em anyway other starts w an E)

I don't shoot RTC

PS haven't seen her for a while so could be anything ???

Looks just like a 105 rig, what was i thinking ?? Note CF headsail on roller furler

I don't shoot RTC

post-1000-0-84256200-1353969230_thumb.jpg

post-1000-0-91279000-1353969408_thumb.jpg

Looks just like a 105 rig, what was i thinking ?? Note CF headsail on roller furler

I don't shoot RTC

Old pictures, I know for a fact that the wooden spars were removed and a J105 rig was added before the McNish Classic regatta up in Oxnard this year. I am not well versed on classic yachts but they changed the aft mast (main mast I believe is proper) to J105 rig pained brown/tan to try to keep the classic look. No longer gaff rigged and is using a J105 asym kite off the bowsprit.

Not sure how to post pics but here is a website with some shots from this year that show the new rig. I haven't been involved since Fame launched but a few good friends still are helping out with the boat. So my info is pretty solid.

http://www.facebook.com/julie.ardagna/photos#!/pages/The-Schooner-FAME/108310942531432?sk=photos

Although it has been done, as a general practice, it is frowned upon as low stretch, high tech sail fabrics transmit significantly higher loads to the rig and hull of these older vessles.