• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George Hackett

Titanium Snap Shackles

Why titanium?

The newish wichard speedlink is a better product, lighter and cheaper than the ti ones pictured above.

But the ti ones give you + 10 cool boat points!

Do the Wichards work as well as the Tylaskas?

i have always preferred Tylaskas but i dont have a lot to objectively say why. They just seem a little tougher, a little smoother, and a little better... but functionally, if well maintained, theres probably not a lot of difference. i havent opened a Wichard under load, though. I do know that Tylaska stands behind the product - after a bunch were stolen by a bad employee they put a notice out on SA to anyone that bought them to send them back so they could be tested - as the employee took them before that part of the line. They didnt charge anyone, just wanted to make sure everything was good.

Caveat emptor.

When you buy cheap titanium parts from an unrecognised source, you might also want to borrow a cheap Geiger counter too. Some years ago an outfit in Europe started marketing really cheap titanium shackles, as they'd bought a bunch of scrap titanium from a country to the "East."

Turned out the material was from a decommissioned Soviet nuclear submarine. Didn't quite 'glow in the dark' - but not too healthy to be close to for long.

The shackles suggested are made by Wichard, which I guess everyone is familiar with. I don't think quality is an issue here more than following the safe working load of the shackles and if they fit the application.

The have proven to be very good and they do have a very similar design to the Tylaska and even more to the Sparcraft, but without the trouble of the small opening trigger on the side.

The obverse to the benefits of a nice light shacke, and one minor downside is that if you have a stripped halyard and a Ti snapshackle, then it's quite possible for the weight of the coverto be enough to sky the halyard if you (accidentally) let go when it's not clipped to anything. DAMHIKT.

TI is illegal under most rules ....

Not true. I have sailed on a multitude of big boats that use various peices of titanium gear. Many carbon sails use titanium rings to eleminate the electrolsis problem.

I vaguely recall someone giving me a very compelling reason why titanium shackles were NOT so great to be using....

I don't recall, but was it endurance/fatigue vs stainless?? Or corrosion??

Anyone?

In the late 90's a boat owners wife went to russia and found some titanium snap shackles that were great for spin sheets. Super light and really durable. They also cost her about 4 pounds each. We were very upset she didn't buy a 100 of them so we could make a ton of cash. We were always a little suspicious about the source of the titanium and its health benefits.

Titanium has always had the reliability issue that it doesn't deform, just massively fails with no warning signs and was therefore banned by ORC regs for use in stanchions. I do not ever remember it being banned by any rule as other components.

think about how much easier it would be to see what you are doing on the foredeck with the shackles giving off an eerie green sperm killing glow! plus it could warm your hands up on those cold 3am jib peels...

think about how much easier it would be to see what you are doing on the foredeck with the shackles giving off an eerie green sperm killing glow! plus it could warm your hands up on those cold 3am jib peels...

AND keep from knocking up the owner's daughters.

I like you, we should be friends.

I like you, we should be friends.

Get a room