• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

john.reivers@hotmail.com

Sydney 40 tiller

A few non australian Sydney 38's went with tillers. With a lot of F40 programs going to tiller, that's where I would be looking for insperation.

That said, I would only consider a tiller on a 40 footer if all I was doing was racing inshore around the cans. Any offshore, long distance, or deliveries stick with the wheel.

Thanks.

The issue is the significant wheel well that I assume the standard tiller has a solution for.

Yep only inshore.

Offshore or deliveries could be autopilot. Consensus of people who are much better sailors than I is an autopilot is more accurate anyhow.

I own one of the 38s with a tiller. The hulls of the 38 and 40 are very similar as are the deck layouts. From there they are quite different in rig and in weight. Unlike AVID I have owned much bigger and heavier boats with a tiller and much prefer that to a wheel. Even for offshore racing. At some point there is a switch over but not, in my opinion, at 40 ft. That said I do not believe that there is any 40 that had a "factory" supplied tiller conversion and it would be a pure custom job. I am not sure the expense would be worth the either the trouble or the marginal performance improvement that comes from the tiller.

Robin

The conversion from Wheel to tiller on a F40 requires a new rudder as I understand it. The top of the rudder stock is quite different and I think the wheel versions are slightly less raked to give the wheel version slight weather helm to lean on. I am looking at buying a F40 at the moment - the purest in me wants a tiller but the businessman in me (I will use it in my sailing school) tells me punters and those new to the sport like standing behind a big wheel. Personally I don't think 40ft is too big for a tiller. I used to own a Davidson 40 with a tiller and sittin down is more comfortable than standin up offshore! If you are finding swinging off a tiller on a reach hard work you don’t need a wheel - just better trimmers.

I recall a Davidson 55 called Great fun at one of the earlier Clipper cups in Hawaii - might have been '80 or 82'- but it had a tiller about 12 feet long. Needed a helo landing pad to swing it in!

I own one of the 38s with a tiller. The hulls of the 38 and 40 are very similar as are the deck layouts. From there they are quite different in rig and in weight. Unlike AVID I have owned much bigger and heavier boats with a tiller and much prefer that to a wheel. Even for offshore racing. At some point there is a switch over but not, in my opinion, at 40 ft. That said I do not believe that there is any 40 that had a "factory" supplied tiller conversion and it would be a pure custom job. I am not sure the expense would be worth the either the trouble or the marginal performance improvement that comes from the tiller.

Robin

Thanks.

Do you know if it's a lift out and drop in job?

To me it doesn't look to be a big job... The biggest bit looks to be the wheel well - which appears to be a single piece connected to the deck, which has as part of it the setup for runners, checks and back stay.

Wanna swap for my wheel?

:-)

I have never been on a Sydney 40 but here is what I would look at. I assume the rudder head comes through the deck for purposes of attaching an emergency tiller if so the job would be easy depending on the following:

• after removing wheel and well is there sufficient distance between rudder head and any part of traveller/maintrim/hydrolics that a tiller of sufficient length can be inserted
  • Remeber, depending on how you like to tack or jibe (do you go over the tiller or in front of) you need to have that space as well.
  • You need to devise a proper seating station for the helmsman. Chocks or other non skid devices are not sufficient upwind. Needs a proper foot brace from each side of the cockpit.
  • Remember that you need to leave enough room between the Helmsman with his extended tiller (therefor further in forward than wheel) and the Main Winch for the Main Trimmer.
  • Sawzall will get rid of the wheel well but I would not begin with out being sure of need tiller length.
  • One of the things that was done for the 38 to substantially improve its performance (less quirkey) over the 40 was (I believe I am correct in the following) to make the rudder itself slightly deeper and more balanced. So a rudder rebuild might be in order.

Robin

Robin

By very similar you mean the same with 2 feet on the back right??? Someone might be able to elaborate more, But wasn't the mold extended to make the 40?

Contact these guys http://www.innovationcomposites.com.au/ They are basically Sydney Yachts.. They have all the Molds and files for the Sydney boats. I'm sure they have it all on file. Probably even do a kit for you.

Actually it was the other way around. And as the 40 was less than 40 and 38 longer than 38 the first 38 mold was a modified 40 mold. The the first deck mold for the 38 is also a modified 40 deck mold. Exact proportions I can not give you.

Robin

Actually it was the other way around. And as the 40 was less than 40 and 38 longer than 38 the first 38 mold was a modified 40 mold. The the first deck mold for the 38 is also a modified 40 deck mold. Exact proportions I can not give you.

Robin

You're right on it being the other way around but wrong on the length. The 40 is 12.5m.

Thanks for the website. I'll chase them.