• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dylan winter

First sail of the winter - I love winter sailing

10 posts in this topic

I am currently berthed on a drying pontoon near the top of the Humber in Yorkshire

the weather man was promising two diamond days - weds and thursday

I drove the three hours to the boat on Tuesday morning and heard a weather forecast saying that the good weather would be two days late

so I sat below while the rain and read books and ate fied egg sandwiches while the wind did its stuff

then of Friday morning the sun came up

the wind was still pretty strong so I had the gunter rig deep reefed - and had a brilliant day afloat

I think that the gunter rig is a wonderful thing - three small spars - all of which will fit inside the cabin

but it was one of those cold sharp bright winter days

it was a cold night at anchor behind whitton Island - the next morning there were patches of fog blowing up and down the river

If God wanted us to be outside in the cold he never would have given us the thermostat.

Dylan-

What did you do for heat, while at anchor?

Looking forward to watching the videos tonight.

Dylan-

What did you do for heat, while at anchor?

Looking forward to watching the videos tonight.

slow cooking of a meal, whisky and six tea lights

that is the downside of this time of year

it gets dark at 4.30

the evenings are way too long

Dylan,

You've done a better job of showing why I enjoy cruising on boats that any I've seen. Thank you. I've forwarded your vids to a heap of my family who think I'm insane for sailing around in our S'agapo. Thank you.

Beau

Dylan,

You've done a better job of showing why I enjoy cruising on boats that any I've seen. Thank you. I've forwarded your vids to a heap of my family who think I'm insane for sailing around in our S'agapo. Thank you.

Beau

by all means do just that

- but unless they are sailors they will not understand

most people are not interested in the subtle movements and changes in sky and water that tell you how you will be sailing in a few minutes or hours time

for non sailors there is simply not enough happening in the films for normal people who know little of the pleasures of watching the pure physics and fluid dynamics that can transform an nert arrangement of plastic, wood and steel to come alive under your feet and in your hands

a sailor will see a film and look at the way the main is set, where the wind is coming from, they will not know how it will feel as the boat ploughs through and over a steep Humber chop

they will also fail to notice that when single handing in the winter on a river I leave my fenders out

- because my survival time in the water could be as low as 12 minutes

so they will watch the first 20 seconds and get bored

to them this little clip is just a boat sailing

but a sailor will be looking at the flat bits of water to try decide the best route through

Dylan

we are indeed blessed in the UK to be in a place where open water seldom freezes

sometimes our summers are a bit dull though

I do not know how those poor mid western sailors survive the winter

http://www.keepturni...-sailors-sorry/

Well done Dylan. I know its more work for you but the extra production time you put in these vids (vs the blog style ones) is totally worth it.

Re the winter? We stay in as long as we possibly can, and then go south as often as we possibly can.