• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Icedtea

Boat Disposal

Can they send that thing to Charleston for a few days? We call our mooring field the "floating trailer park", but it's not really accurate as they keep going from "floating" to "not floating".

Side note, that is a shit-ton of fiberglass dust. Itch itch.

What impressed me most was it shows just how much the deck adds to the rigidity of the boat. Look at that power boat as it's getting chewed up. Once the deck is off, the hull flops around like it is made of cardboard.

We have been taking about a boat a week to the dump for the last six months. the keels and masts get recycled. The pulpits, stanchions, winches, tracks and useful looking fittings go in a pile.

The big front end loader and bulldozer machinery at the dump smashes the remains to smithereens and they bury the remaining crap.

The way I see it, teh best thing we could do for sailing would be to get rid of all those old shitty boats we replaced thirty years ago with "new stuff" like J-24s and Merit 25s and then replaced again with the sportboats. Once emptied of old horrible things that don't race, our clubs and marinas would have plenty of space for teh next big thing and the folks who would show up with the new toys would be welcomed to help pay for our facilities and as their boats are gonna be new...the new blood would actually go play as opposed to whining about how nobody does anymore.

EWvery time I drag an old piece of shit out to the dump, it gets rep;laced in the slip by a new boat with an active owner.

There are fifty more boats at AYC I would LOVE to yank out and recycle...it would be a great thing for everybody ...especially they old farts who have been paying slip rent and insurance on old garbage they never use anyway.

Someone needs to invent a fiberglass easting bug

We have been taking about a boat a week to the dump for the last six months. the keels and masts get recycled. The pulpits, stanchions, winches, tracks and useful looking fittings go in a pile.

The big front end loader and bulldozer machinery at the dump smashes the remains to smithereens and they bury the remaining crap.

The way I see it, teh best thing we could do for sailing would be to get rid of all those old shitty boats we replaced thirty years ago with "new stuff" like J-24s and Merit 25s and then replaced again with the sportboats. Once emptied of old horrible things that don't race, our clubs and marinas would have plenty of space for teh next big thing and the folks who would show up with the new toys would be welcomed to help pay for our facilities and as their boats are gonna be new...the new blood would actually go play as opposed to whining about how nobody does anymore.

EWvery time I drag an old piece of shit out to the dump, it gets rep;laced in the slip by a new boat with an active owner.

There are fifty more boats at AYC I would LOVE to yank out and recycle...it would be a great thing for everybody ...especially they old farts who have been paying slip rent and insurance on old garbage they never use anyway.

I think it was Beau that said the a marina near him imposed a rule that every boat had to go out of the inner harbour once a year under it's own steam to be able to keep it's berth. You don't and you forfit your beth. I guess a time limit to sell the boat then off to the shredder would work.

I wish they had some sort of rule like that here. Year my boat aint the flashest at the marina, but at least I use the thing.

Having read all the other methods ye mention I think the guys with the shredder really have the best way going. All relatively quick and painless(except for the boat) and when the shredding is done with the skip can be taken to any normal recycling centre to deal with.

Maybe someone could hire one out and offer to get rid of all the unused boats for a fee? Marinas with unpaid duties could use it as a threat to owners who aren't paying up...

Can someone verify for me that California has a boat disposal fee and what is it? Someone (I forget who, but maybe the marina manager) said that Ca. has a $4,000 (!!!!) boat disposal fee which is why so many people abandon thier boats. I know it sounds ridiculous & outrageous but this is California so I can't say it's impossible.

There are people who ask the government about the rules for doing something, and those of us who survive by learning how not to unnecessarily encounter the government bureaucracts.

Governments simply love taxing boats. Governments love concerning themselves with titles and licenses and stickers and all that shit as well. We don't take boats to the dump. We take pounds of random waste material. With the rignt sawzall blade a worker can reduce anything up to 30 feet to carryable chunks in a couple hours so there's no way anyone would ever need to take a "boat" to the dump for $4000.

There are people who ask the government about the rules for doing something, and those of us who survive by learning how not to unnecessarily encounter the government bureaucracts.

Governments simply love taxing boats. Governments love concerning themselves with titles and licenses and stickers and all that shit as well. We don't take boats to the dump. We take pounds of random waste material. With the rignt sawzall blade a worker can reduce anything up to 30 feet to carryable chunks in a couple hours so there's no way anyone would ever need to take a "boat" to the dump for $4000.

I thought they mentioned that it had something to do with a toxic waste disposal fee and that bottom paint, engines and even the fiberglass itself are considered toxics.

Side note, that is a shit-ton of fiberglass dust. Itch itch.

My first thought too.

Another method, the dump-struction:

Why would you do that to a J30?! Even if not 'race-able' any more, those beast are great cruisers?!

j/30 and great cruiser.. yeah those two words do not belong togther! EVER... uncomfortable as hell, and I have worked on more then my fair share of these things they are all soaking wet!

That j 30 was bonsai dragon out of Saginaw bay. Raced hard put away wet,it was a pumpkin.

We have taken all consumables/recycleables out of a Carver 30 because we could not get a buyer. The boat needed engine work and some tlc. The hull was solid.

We will soon be cutting it up and making never rot backing blocks for thru hulls out of it.

I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.

we will soon have a uniflite 28 sport fisher...engine work needed, solid hull and electronics going up for a lien sale at AWMC.

That j30 segment was one of the most obscene things I've ever seen. Like watching a snuff flick. The asshole in the background chuckling to himself only made it worse.

To each his own. I kind of, maybe in some perverted way, enjoyed watching the videos, especially the first. Watching that power boat do the dance of death... classic. Couldn't help but imaging whole jet skis being gobbled up, one after another, after another... maybe we need more of these machines. Perhaps we personify our inanimate objects too much.

At the end of the video it says the goal is to recycle them into fuel or other useable products.

Anyone have any idea what fiberglass and resin can be recycled into?

Not much,

The auto industry have an interest in this so there is work being done on finding good ways to recycle glass and carbon reinforced composites, but there's not much in the way of results yet.

It is possible to use the ground up residue, as a filler for low cost plastic components, but that's about the limit.

That j30 segment was one of the most obscene things I've ever seen. Like watching a snuff flick. The asshole in the background chuckling to himself only made it worse.

You mean the owner.

His boat, his choice.

Can someone verify for me that California has a boat disposal fee and what is it? Someone (I forget who, but maybe the marina manager) said that Ca. has a $4,000 (!!!!) boat disposal fee which is why so many people abandon thier boats. I know it sounds ridiculous & outrageous but this is California so I can't say it's impossible.

A very quick google search turns up the truth for you: that it is *free*.

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Environmental/vesdispose.aspx

searched "california boat disposal fee"

At the end of the video it says the goal is to recycle them into fuel or other useable products.

Anyone have any idea what fiberglass and resin can be recycled into?

There was, and possibly still is, a marina, or business at a marina, in Ontario that had/has what they called a boat shredder. Looked something similiar to the machine in the first video. I think that they had planned on using the output from the shredded boats as insulation.

Here's a linky, no idea how recent: http://www.sandycovemarine.com/Page.aspx/pageId/30181/Sandy-Cove-Marine-Recyclers.aspx

Let's face it: the only reason we use fiberglass is because it is cheap--especially on the maintenance side of things. But it is an environmentally unsustainable and stupid solution. Wood is much better--unless you are building whole navies out of it :-/

Let's face it: the only reason we use fiberglass is because it is cheap--especially on the maintenance side of things. But it is an environmentally unsustainable and stupid solution. Wood is much better--unless you are building whole navies out of it :-/

Which is why we are moving to resin and carbon???????? Ok there is a lot of Carbon in the Universe but I think the resin that we bind it with is the issue and is the carbon we are using to build things with the same as the carbon in the uni????

Which is why we are moving to resin and carbon???????? Ok there is a lot of Carbon in the Universe but I think the resin that we bind it with is the issue and is the carbon we are using to build things with the same as the carbon in the uni????

Yes, the resin. But carbon fiber isn't "biodegradable" in the same sense as cellulose, either...

But at least carbon fiber gives you a rel improvement in properties. So at least there is some justification for the pollution.

Looks like the owner of the J30 picked at the hull some, found a can of worms, or more likely thought "why bother"...

Tom Brownell @ Brownell Systems in Mattapoisett MA launched a boat recycling service last year. Don't know if they are still at it. I don't know that they actually "buy" them. He was hoping the recyclables such as lead would make it viable but I doubt there is enough margin once the work is done to pay the owner anything.