• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George Hackett

Potential boat owner looking for a Project Boat

met up with a guy that likes to tinker around and upgrade boats. something in the 40ft range that was a Flash during her time but now can be IRCed. anybody out there got an old like, farr-40od or ILC-40ish that they just want to dump?

I, too, would like a beat-up old Farr 40 to reno.

How about it, lads? Anyone need to dump and old Farr 40?

Can I interest you in a Cal 34? Cheep cheep?.....

yea i agree about the "lots of buyers and not so many sellers". as i told him, it is a stretch. too bad he did not come out earlier. several years ago, there was a neglected sydney-41 in singapore that would have been a real steal. this guy knows that no one is going to give him a boat out of the kindness of their heart. so he know that he will have to pay to play. in other words, he wants to spend his money, not waist it.

jono. a little more about the sydney-38?

You could pick up a sydney 40 unmodified keel (or maybe old irm keel) in old rig configuration in average condition needing new sails for about £40 k.

New rudder. (most have this)

New keel.

And you've got a decent IRC boat for £65k.

Not sure there are many out there left unmodified at present. Not sure what the price is for a good nick Syd 40 with new keel.

It seems the whole stock of Syd 40's changed hands recently.

So whilst all boats are for sale there probably are not many owners willing to dump their toy just yet.

boy your not kidding. but a good find, i think. shipping cost might be more than the boat?

I think you are right and £30k is pretty optimistic even for a European buyer given the huge amount of work needed. Not sure what shipping costs would be but if you could buy the boat and have it delivered to you part of the world for under £30k then maybe.... Can't imagine there will be a massive queue of potential buyers so perhaps worth keeping an eye on.

Found a realistically priced Sydney 40 this morning but again it's in Holland so location not ideal: http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2413523&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=GBP&access=Public&listing_id=62889&url=

contacted the broker. mentioned that i am from the philippines. have not heard from them. hmmm? will try again. maybe email failure?

boy your not kidding. but a good find, i think. shipping cost might be more than the boat?

I think you are right and £30k is pretty optimistic even for a European buyer given the huge amount of work needed. Not sure what shipping costs would be but if you could buy the boat and have it delivered to you part of the world for under £30k then maybe.... Can't imagine there will be a massive queue of potential buyers so perhaps worth keeping an eye on.

Found a realistically priced Sydney 40 this morning but again it's in Holland so location not ideal: http://www.yachtworl...g_id=62889&url=

Found a realistically priced Sydney 40 this morning but again it's in Holland so location not ideal: http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2413523&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=GBP&access=Public&listing_id=62889&url=

Last I heard that sydney 40 has been sold to a Russian buyer

contacted the broker. mentioned that i am from the philippines. have not heard from them. hmmm? will try again. maybe email failure?

Nope. That's just how Bach yachting roll, the boat is unlikely to be their priority given price and amount of time it's been listed, Liesbeth might be on holiday and the boat is sold.