• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ishmael

Life swap

One of the many mad ideas I come up with, most of which do not survive until morning, is that of swapping lives for up to a year with someone else, somewhere else. I know that's not very definitive, but whatever.

No wife trading unless I see pictures first.

I know there are house trading sites, for a month or so, and presumably boat trading sites. I'd like to live in New Zealand or Australia for a year, maybe someone down there would like to live in Victoria, BC for a year in exchange? I'll throw in enough gas to power the mower for the duration.

Is this too totally whacked out?

It's not totally whacked out at all.

Not sure I want to live in Fuctifino though................. :-)

Ish, I have friends and family that have done house exchanges for a month at a time ... a place in BC (lovely homes in great locations) for places in Switzerland, England and France with much satisfaction to all involved. (no wife swapping that I know of in these cases. : P )

I don't see why six months or a year would be objectionable, if you found someone wanting a reciprocal set up.

NZ would be amazing.

Edit: Leka....trust me, Fuctifino is amazing. ;)

Ish, I have friends and family that have done house exchanges for a month at a time ... a place in BC (lovely homes in great locations) for places in Switzerland, England and France with much satisfaction to all involved. (no wife swapping that I know of in these cases. : P )

I don't see why six months or a year would be objectionable, if you found someone wanting a reciprocal set up.

NZ would be amazing.

Edit: Leka....trust me, Fuctifino is amazing. ;)

I wouldn't call this a "lovely home" in the rich white sense of the word. It's a 1950's bungalow on 1/4 acre ten minutes out of Victoria city center and ten minutes to the beach and thirty to the boat. The cars are ancient and worthless. It's a great base for coastal BC, though.

In my first trip from Australia to North America was to Vancouver Island (for Aussies, this is where Victoria is located). It was a magical place for me. No sailor from Australia will be disappointed. There is no place I have been to in Australia remotely like it.

Don't sell yourself short and make sure you get a great house in Australia in return - I'm thinking a harbourside in Sydney (bring your checkbook 'cause Sydney is pricey), bayside in Brisbane, beachside on the Gold Coast or some nice setting in FNQ (Atherton Tablelands or Whitsundays?).

New Zealand is probably nice, but don't you want to go somewhere subtropical or tropical after all your days in the Pacific Northwest?

Bay of Islands seemed pretty damn tropical when i visited. Just sayin'.

Of course, that was coming from Maine, in January.

Lots of folks I know swap houses. To facilitate that, some have moved their household to someplace people want to visit. There are web sites that also facilitate the contact I'm not associated with any of these, but they look reasonable:

http://www.swapyourhome.net

http://www.homeexchange.com

http://www.lovehomeswap.com

This was from 10 minutes of googling, I'm sure there are better. For years after we sold the big cruising boat we swapped our home in San Francisco with the folks who then owned the boat. It was terrific for all parties. We got to cruise New England, Europe, etc.... and they got to come "home" to SF and visit folks.

BV