• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MoeAlfa

Good news thread

An energy boom and now this. Could we be turning the corner on anything else?

Of course everything still sucks...

Despite popular opinion to the contrary, I am optimistic that we are finally starting to get a handle on health care costs.

Despite popular opinion to the contrary, I am optimistic that we are finally starting to get a handle on health care costs.

While I hope you are right, I'm not seeing it. Just curious - what evidence leads you to this optimism?

Controlling health care costs really doesn't have to be difficult - we just don't want to do it. Merely holding people financially responsible for the health outcomes of their own conscious choices would make a huge difference in health care costs. Want to smoke? Fine, either pay up for decades of expensive care needed to treat your COPD or cancer, or die young, Want to be morbidly obese? Fine. Pay up or die young. Your choice.

Yes, I know I'm cutting off my own nose by favoring health care cost savings. It it weren't for smokers, the morbidly obese, and drunks, I'd probably be out of a job.

While I hope you are right, I'm not seeing it. Just curious - what evidence leads you to this optimism?

Controlling health care costs really doesn't have to be difficult - we just don't want to do it. Merely holding people financially responsible for the health outcomes of their own conscious choices would make a huge difference in health care costs. Want to smoke? Fine, either pay up for decades of expensive care needed to treat your COPD or cancer, or die young, Want to be morbidly obese? Fine. Pay up or die young. Your choice.

Yes, I know I'm cutting off my own nose by favoring health care cost savings. It it weren't for smokers, the morbidly obese, and drunks, I'd probably be out of a job.

The reason to be optimistic? Steins Law: "If something cannot go on forever, it will stop."

Some of those scary charts Ryan has been waving around show healthcare growing at the current rate all the way out to 2085, and consuming half the national GDP around then. Can't happen. The trend can't continue forever, so it will stop. It appears we are already close to the limit of what we are willing (able?) to spend now, actually.

This is the good news thread. You are supposed to post something you think is good news. *

*you are free of course to continue acknowledging that everything sucks.

I am optimistic because most of the folks complaining here are older. The Faux and Rushbo audiences are over 60....way over 60 in many cases.

And, I do believe somewhat in that law - things have to get real bad before they get better, especially when ignorance is at play. Churchill had it right many decades ago when he said Americans always will do the right thing - but only AFTER all other possibilities have been exhausted. I think it is safe to say that jails full of pot smokers and health care going on 20% of GDP...and even Iraq, represent most other possibilities being exhausted.

Let's get even more optimistic.

I call for 12-15% rise in the S&P in 2013. It's right here for everyone to see....

:)

I think relaxing pot laws counts.

I would also mention the thaw on immigration. Big step there.

big +1 on both counts.

I would add that, while anectdotal, I am seeing less outsourcing of both manufacturing and services.

I call for 12-15% rise in the S&P in 2013. It's right here for everyone to see....

I'm fixin' to get in big during and after the coming air pockets.

Good news--

--marriage equality seems to have reached the tipping point

--as has pot decriminalization

I've got a scar on my lower leg and the flesh looks as puffy and ill formed as a pizza crust, but the good news is, the sutures come out tomorrow! Look to your own little fleshy realm and you're bound to see something positive.

I'm fixin' to get in big during and after the coming air pockets.

Get out of bonds while you are at it...or at least make sure you only hold shorter terms.

Real Estate headed up in a lot of places! My son is looking to buy in Pittsburgh (yes, it's the new brooklyn!) and the market is hot...

The fact that the top threads here are all about guns or global warming seems to indicate people have stopped panicking about the economy.

US CO2 emissions are at a 20 year low, and can be expected to decline further as natural gas replaces coal in electrical generation.

Real Estate headed up in a lot of places! My son is looking to buy in Pittsburgh (yes, it's the new brooklyn!) and the market is hot...

That's because the fed is creating an additional 40 billion a month "out of thin air" buying mortgaged backed securities. My advise would be a thirty year fixed...;)

Good news--

--marriage equality seems to have reached the tipping point

--as has pot decriminalization

I'd be more willing to believe the pot problem (prohibition) is going away if either of the guys with a chance to win the Oval Office had favored ending it in the last election...