Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bull Gator

Gun nutter sttrikes again

Nutter strikes in Vegas. Rolling gun battle described. 3 dead.....

Sounds like a gang dispute to me, not a law abiding citizen concerned about self defense. Two of the dead were in a taxi that was involved in an accident with the Maserati that was being shot at. The driver and his passenger were killed in the collision and resulting fire. Not exactly what I would call a 'Nutter'.

Sounds like some Criminal murdered 2, maybe 3, innocent people. I say he should be eligible for the Death Penalty due to multiple counts of Murder. What do you think Gaytor? Going to defend a 'Nutter' criminal again?

Whats the number of suicides by gun since you girls started this thread? I know of one. Oh and she killed the dog first.

Whats the number of suicides by gun since you girls started this thread? I know of one. Oh and she killed the dog first.

The nut-case country singer chick? So what, she was a nut-case.....

Good riddance. I hate cuntry music.

Good riddance. I hate cuntry music.

Took me a half century but I'm actually starting to like it. But back to the dead gal, seems like both the system and her friends and family failed her. So what are ya gonna do in a case like this one?....

Calling Gator a girl is not nice and referring to him in the plural just makes no sense.

No one asked for some random number of suicides using guns, but I was asked for some random number of self defense examples, but decided since they are so common I would pick a larger random number.

When is everyone going to realize that the problem is a propensity towards violence, and a complete disregard for the effects of that violence? It's not about 19 round capacity Glock magazines, it's not about ARs or AKs, it's about sorry-assed individuals who are so messed up, so absent of direction, so without other recourse, that they feel compelled to use violence as their preferred means of expression.

If I thought for a minute that putting my guns at the police station for storage would help - I'd be there w/all of 'em in my trunk when they opened up tomorrow AM. It won't.

So - mull over this for a while: Most folks recognize the inefficacy of attempts to eradicate guns as an effective course of action, but, they think that if they DON'T do this, that they'll be complicit in the next tragedy that occurs.

Instead of trying to vilify well intentioned people of differing perspective - focus instead on ways to identify and help (and in the future, reduce the occurrence of) those who feel that violence is the only way to make themselves heard.

I doubt that sharing my thoughts will result in anything but derision, but, this is what I'd like.

http://youtu.be/3CIpf2cBFHE

One of these 'Rap Artist' is now below room temperature. B on B violence. Probably because he scuffed someones shoe. Unfortunately, two innocents were caught up in 'Gangster' violence. Hopefully, the occupants of the Range Rover will end up like Dorner.

A .22 pistol. 9 hits and he decided to skedaddle.

What a brave woman.

Troubling use of a high capacity mag

I thought it was a troubling use of a knife and an appropriate use of a pistol.

Dick Heller's constitutionally protected handgun is a .22 that holds 9 rounds, so you agree that "high capacity" weapons are protected, right?

When is everyone going to realize that the problem is a propensity towards violence, and a complete disregard for the effects of that violence? It's not about 19 round capacity Glock magazines, it's not about ARs or AKs, it's about sorry-assed individuals who are so messed up, so absent of direction, so without other recourse, that they feel compelled to use violence as their preferred means of expression.

If I thought for a minute that putting my guns at the police station for storage would help - I'd be there w/all of 'em in my trunk when they opened up tomorrow AM. It won't.

So - mull over this for a while: Most folks recognize the inefficacy of attempts to eradicate guns as an effective course of action, but, they think that if they DON'T do this, that they'll be complicit in the next tragedy that occurs.

Instead of trying to vilify well intentioned people of differing perspective - focus instead on ways to identify and help (and in the future, reduce the occurrence of) those who feel that violence is the only way to make themselves heard.

I doubt that sharing my thoughts will result in anything but derision, but, this is what I'd like.

It's such a complex issue. Those who can't deal with complexity - gator comes immediately to mind - need to have simple solutions. People get killed by people with guns - control access of innocent people to a category of guns - simple solution. But, if you take the most serious gun problem we have, and it abbreviates to B on B gun violence, and follow a basic gun crime to look at all the contributing factors you begin to see the difficulties, so once again, the simple minded collapse to simple solutions.

A young black man shoots another young black man on the southside of Chicago. Did either young black man have:

• a father at home? - no, but allowing GLBT folks to marry is an important political issue.
  • a decent education? - no, but pandering to the unions to smother real improvement is vital to re-election.
  • a decent job? - no, and no hope of one either.
  • role models of non-violent conflict resolution? - no, what-the-fuck-you-talkin-you-nigger-mofo-put-a-cap-in-yo-ass.
  • a way to stay alive other than to join a gang? - no, but a decent police force could control these gang members.

Meanwhile, 20 blocks away, a young white male is planning a spree killing. Does he have:

• access to weapons? - yes, WTF are you crazy, this is a Chicago suburb.
  • access to the most immersive and violent video games ever? - yes, WTF are you crazy?
  • access to 24/7 news that turns shooters into media sensations? - yes, WTF are you crazy, everybody has cable.
  • access to mental health care? - no, WTF are you crazy? No, but the kid is.

Too bad she can't carry at the school.

From the cite.

The 53-year-old woman, who is also a veteran private school counselor, was alone at the time of the Wednesday morning attack. She lives on East Mount Tabor Circle in Duluth.

.357 would have been a better choice.

• a father at home? - no, but allowing GLBT folks to marry is an important political issue.

You make some good points, but the GLBT thing is a complete non-sequitur, and a bit of a red flag. How many of these young men were raised by single GLBT parents? How many raised by single grandmothers and a product of hetero parents?

Dick Heller's constitutionally protected handgun is a .22 that holds 9 rounds, so you agree that "high capacity" weapons are protected, right?

no

no

Ah, so we can at least agree that 9 rounds is not high capacity, since there's no question the gun is protected. Glad to finally find some common ground on gun issues. ;)

In other news...

Three home invaders attack parents, 21 year old son grabs gun and kills one, the other two were caught nearby by police.

In troubling other news...

Gun control is still about black people control

“History is [rife] with examples. There’s a direct correlation between gun control and black people control,” Stacy Swimp, president and CFO of the Frederick Douglass Society, said at the event

Again, Gaytor, I don't see this case as a 'Nutter'. I see it as irresponsible parents that didn't secure their handgun.

It was probably JaMarkus that shot LeMar.

no

Ah, so we can at least agree that 9 rounds is not high capacity, since there's no question the gun is protected. Glad to finally find some common ground on gun issues. ;)

In other news...

Three home invaders attack parents, 21 year old son grabs gun and kills one, the other two were caught nearby by police.

In troubling other news...

Gun control is still about black people control

“History is [rife] with examples. There’s a direct correlation between gun control and black people control,” Stacy Swimp, president and CFO of the Frederick Douglass Society, said at the event

"Frederick Douglas Society" sounds real grass-rootsy.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/breakingnewsjournal/2012/02/15/frederick-douglass-societ-projt-21-speaker-stacy-m-swimp

(NEWSER) – A soldier is being held in a Texas jail on manslaughter charges after a misguided attempt to cure a fellow soldier of hiccups resulted in his death, reports CBS News. Seems Spc. Patrick Edward Myers and friends were watching football—and unsurprisingly, drinking—on Sunday when the victim developed a case of hiccups. In an attempt to scare him out of them, Myers pointed a gun, which he says he thought was loaded with dummy rounds, at the man's face. The gun was, in fact, loaded, and discharged, killing the man. Bail for Myers is set at $1 million.

Bad messenger? You know I don't believe in those, but if it makes something he said wrong I would be interested in that.

Houston business owner uses gun to thwart armed robbery:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9003211

(NEWSER) – The last words uttered by a 21-year-old Colorado man were: "Let's play Russian roulette." The man, who had been drinking beer with three friends, then put a handgun to his head and pulled the trigger, killing himself. Police believe he didn't know the gun was loaded and are treating the death as an accident, Reuters reports.

(NEWSER) – Safe sex tip of the day kids: When using guns during foreplay, make sure neither they, nor you, are loaded. A 25-year-old Washington man says he learned this lesson the hard way Saturday, when he and his girlfriend busted out a firearm after a night of hard drinking. He told police that he rubbed the weapon all over her body, then set it aside as they had sex. Afterward he picked up the weapon, swung it toward the woman, and it went off, killing her.

“He was adamant the shooting was an accident,” police tell KIROTV, adding that he’d repeatedly called himself an “idiot” during his questioning, and suggested that he would hurt himself. But police say the incident is still under investigation; a background check revealed that there have been two domestic violence incidents in the couple’s home, both with the girlfriend, 22, as the victim. The couple has been together 10 years, and has two young children, who were asleep in the same room during the incident.

(NEWSER) – A Massachusetts police chief was indicted after an 8-year-old accidentally killed himself at a gun show the officer helped sponsor, Reuters reports. The boy mistakenly shot himself in the head with an Uzi as his father looked on with a camera. The policeman was indicted for involuntary manslaughter and furnishing a machine gun to a minor; the sports-club site of the show and two men who supplied the gun were also indicted.

The Uzi “is not a hunting weapon. It has a rate of fire of 1,700 rounds per minute,” said the district attorney.

Alarm brings homeowner home from work, where she winds up shooting at burglar. No injuries, perps captured.

http://www.douglascountysentinel.com/view/full_story/21611314/article-Armed-homeowner-fires-at-suspects-during-burglary?instance=west_ga_news

Home owner shoots intruder, wounding him. Perp captured, no nutterz injured.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Homeowner-shoots-alleged-intruder-4251776.php

Intruder shot by home owner, captured by police.

http://www.wtvq.com/content/localnews/story/Troopers-Garrard-County-Man-Shot-Alleged-Burglar/YJasUK1kRkC9qM7Cvctj_g.cspx

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- A mother and her boyfriend are in jail after the woman's 4-year-old boy shot himself with a gun that had been stored in a shoe box.

The Commercial Appeal reports the Shelby County Grand Jury indicted Jessica Johnson on a charge of reckless homicide. Clarence Coleman is charged with reckless endangerment.

Four-year-old Joshua Johnson accidentally killed himself on Feb. 11 after finding the gun in a bedroom.

Boy, 2, accidentally shoots himself after finding gun in mom's purse

Pennsylvania boy Owen Harris, 2, is fighting for his life after accidentally shooting himself in the head late Thursday night when he found a gun in his mother's purse.

Police say Harris was rushed from a home in Fayette County to the UPMC Children's Hospital where his condition has been listed in critical but stable.

The handgun allegedly belonged to his stepfather.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2283589/Owen-Harris-death-Boy-2-accidentally-shoots-finding-gun-moms-purse.html#ixzz2LqsuU7IV

Boy, 2, accidentally shoots himself after finding gun in mom's purse

Pennsylvania boy Owen Harris, 2, is fighting for his life after accidentally shooting himself in the head late Thursday night when he found a gun in his mother's purse.

Police say Harris was rushed from a home in Fayette County to the UPMC Children's Hospital where his condition has been listed in critical but stable.

The handgun allegedly belonged to his stepfather.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2LqsuU7IV

Well this is nothing that a few more A/W bans wouldn't prevent. Or a registry........

So there's some stupid people out there......and this is new news??

Wait for it, Mad-----it'll be just a matter of time before brakes will be mandatory on automobiles......

Some of it is very old news. some of these stories are well past their freshness date.

UN study "sick water" indicates that over 50% of the worlds hospital beds are occupied by people suffering the effects of drinking contaminated water.

Drinking contaminated water leads to more deaths than all forms of violence (including wars)

UN study "sick water" indicates that over 50% of the worlds hospital beds are occupied by people suffering the effects of drinking contaminated water.

Drinking contaminated water leads to more deaths than all forms of violence (including wars)

Well there you have its time to ban all water used for consumption. Its not gonna be easy as the pro water folks are a passionate bunch. They will probably sat things like "you can take my glass when you pry my cold dead hands from it..."

. . . not to mention the huge numbers that don't reach a hospital and just keep crapping in their poppy pants until they die.

there is no right to water....

So you and I are on the same side of an issue. Water kills. Its not Constitutionally protected so it should be an easy task to ban. Imagine all the lives that could be saved.

. . . not to mention the huge numbers that don't reach a hospital and just keep crapping in their poppy pants until they die.

Let's leave the Pistorious case out of this.

there is no right to water....

So you and I are on the same side of an issue. Water kills. Its not Constitutionally protected so it should be an easy task to ban. Imagine all the lives that could be saved.

But he thinks health care is. Brilliant....

Might there be a moment in the debate when we could move off the mutual submission of examples where the tool (gun) was used for both good and bad outcome since both occur and there are endless examples available on each side. The stories serve no particular purpose that I can see in the debate.

Might there be a moment in the debate when we could move off the mutual submission of examples where the tool (gun) was used for both good and bad outcome since both occur and there are endless examples available on each side. The stories serve no particular purpose that I can see in the debate.

It'd be nice, PB, if the efficacy of proposed changes could be reasonably discussed, to include probable outcomes/timelines/costs. With a common understanding gained from sensible dialogue, we might even come up with a workable plan. I'm an optimist, but, am starting to get tired of bein' hit in the head w/the hammer of pragmatism.

It is a thorny issue and I understand the notion that before freedoms should be infringed upon that the offsetting societal good should be at least well assessed according to prbable outcomes etc. I think the "we must do something even if it isn't borne out by a careful review" crowd runs into the "its a slippery slope and any restrictions will lead to all restrictions" crowd dominates the dialouge.

It is a thorny issue and I understand the notion that before freedoms should be infringed upon that the offsetting societal good should be at least well assessed according to prbable outcomes etc. I think the "we must do something even if it isn't borne out by a careful review" crowd runs into the "its a slippery slope and any restrictions will lead to all restrictions" crowd dominates the dialouge.

I think you're right, and that the folks in both the camps you mentioned have valid ideas/concerns. I think that the hardest part is defining the goal of any proposed changes at an implementation level. We can all agree that we want fewer people to be hurt, but then, the statistically-thinking person will ask, "OK - what hurts the most people"? The emotionally-thinking person will ask "what way of hurting people makes us most upset"?

The answers to those two questions can be vastly different, requiring different solutions. I don't have *the* answer - I think that several tailorable solutions are warranted: gang violence requires a different solution set than the bullied suburban kid, and disturbed adults w/combat/police training represent yet another set of circumstances. With the limited resources of time/money - which solution do we tackle first? What can be done in the pusuit of that solution that may prove beneficial to the solutions for other aspects of violence?

Recognizing that the majority of the folks who hold a position opposite yours probably do want the same end result would go a long way towards getting people talking about the problems, and that's not happening.

Several killed in shooting at Swiss factory

ZURICH (Reuters) - Several people have been killed and seriously injured during a shooting at a factory near the Swiss city of Lucerne, police said on Wednesday.

Swiss police said in a brief statement that several people had been killed and injured at a shooting at around 9 a.m. (0800 GMT) at a wood processing company called Kronospan in the town of Menznau.

Police said the emergency services were on the scene and the area had been largely cordoned off, but gave no further details, saying only they would give further updates later in the day.

Swiss news agency SDA quoted the rescue helicopter service REGA as saying it had flown four seriously injured people to hospital.

Last month, a gunman killed three women and wounded two men in the Swiss village of Daillon, stirring a debate about Switzerland's fire arms laws that allow its male citizens to retain guns after their mandatory military service.

There is no national gun register but some estimates indicate that at least one in every three of Switzerland's 8 million inhabitants keeps a gun, many stored at home. Citizens outside the military can apply for a permit to purchase up to three weapons from the age of 18 in a country where sharp shooting and hunting are popular sports.

A shooting in the regional parliament of Zug in 2001 that caused 14 deaths prompted calls to tighten laws, but the majority of Swiss citizens rejected a proposal in 2011 for additional measures such as the creation of local arsenals for military weapons outside service periods.

(Reporting by Emma Thomasson; Editing by Alison Williams)

Thank you. That's the point I was trying to make.

The purpose I see is proof, specifically proof that the core lawful purpose of the second amendment (self defense) is achieved many times daily by gun owners. Just the other day Spatial was saying that a woman would have no chance fending off an ambush rapist, even with a gun in her hand. I posted an example of a woman who was coming out of the shower and her would-be rapist wound up dead. It can and does happen regularly, and these occurrences make us all safer by making crime more risky.

I have posted several examples of self defense against multiple intruders/attackers, yet we still have the Vice President saying that two rounds are enough and the best approach is to fire both of them into the air. As I have pointed out, Rep. Nadler has also argued for a two round limit for civilians.

How about have led to all restrictions? Specifically the gun registries in DC and Chicago led to gun bans that the Supreme Court overturned. More recently, the Brady Campaign and Chicago argued that the second amendment only applies inside the home, not on your porch or in your yard or garage. No restriction seems to be enough for some on the other side. When the other side stops with the unreasonable infringements, I'll stop fighting against them and using examples. A two round limit is unreasonable, as is the argument that the second amendment does not apply in your garage.

Meanwhile...

TX homeowner holds three intruders at gunpoint until police arrive

That's not a job for a gun with two rounds.

Woman drives away intruder using her pistol. Oddly, he was a neighbor and returned prior to police arrival to leave a note saying he was sorry.

No shots fired in either incident, so they are the kind of thing that does not make much news, but incidents like these happen all the time.

Grandmother shoots two grandsons to death http://news.yahoo.co...-194223452.html

Dog shoots owner while riding in truck http://www.vibe.com/...-riding-shotgun

I'm not sure if you are serious or not, so I'll respond under the assumption you are serious....

I think Grandma might have found another way to attain the same result by simply not breaking when she came to the lake. As tragic as that situation is, you still want to blame the gun. Pathetic.

Pets in any home with a gun should undergo mental screening. That is my reasonable proposal.

If you were joking, please accept my apology. I did get the joke.

As a reasonable person i would suggest that guns be banned in all households with children. Animals would be ok though, if your dog shoots at you you probably deserved it

As a reasonable person i would suggest that guns be banned in all households with children. Animals would be ok though, if your dog shoots at you you probably deserved it

Yeah. It is never too early for children to defend for themselves. Builds character.

Back in my rape and burgle days, it would have been sooooo much easier to just park across from the local daycare center and follow a mom home after she picked up her toddler. Back then, we didn't know who had a gun.

You are six times more likely to shoot yourself or a family member than an intruder. Odds are good, but the goods are odd.

You are six times more likely to shoot yourself or a family member than an intruder. Odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Did Sarah tell you that one?.....

Yeah. It is never too early for children to defend for themselves. Builds character.

Back in my rape and burgle days, it would have been sooooo much easier to just park across from the local daycare center and follow a mom home after she picked up her toddler. Back then, we didn't know who had a gun.

Children shouldn't have the need to defend themselves from their gun nutter parents.

Its just statistics. Not your strong suit, I know.

Children shouldn't have the need to defend themselves from their gun nutter parents.

If you want to argue for national gun legislation based on parental infanticide, have at it.

If we can save just on child. Google "Cheshire home invasion".

I don't know which of the myriad gun threads I should post my bitch under but FUCK this gun shit is getting annoying. I like to shoot my guns and I cant because who is going to blow their last 1000 .22 rounds until you know when you will be able to buy more

Are you seriously stating for every 5000 annual shootings of bad guys breaking into people's homes, that another 30,000 homeowners shot themselves or a family member?

Really?.....

I must lucky. Firearms have been in my family for generations and not one of us has been injured or killed.

Or..... you're just a disingenuous fuckhead who will say/do anything to get people to sway to your 'team'.

Are you seriously stating for every 5000 annual shootings of bad guys breaking into people's homes, that another 30,000 homeowners shot themselves or a family member?

Really?.....

Yeah, but there are not 5000 intruder shootings each year. But there are a lot more suicides and homicides of family members.

I must lucky. Firearms have been in my family for generations and not one of us has been injured or killed.

Or..... you're just a disingenuous fuckhead who will say/do anything to get people to sway to your 'team'.

Just a ticking timebomb.

I live in a city of 4 million dip shits, and I can count on one hand how many people have accidentally shot themselves or their family members on their property in the past two years or so. Trust me, in this town? Stories like that make the news, pronto.

Face it Eduardo, you've been snookered again by the AGN's....

your luck will run out soon. Ditch the guns you don't need them to be safe...

I live in a city of 4 million dip shits, and I can count on one hand how many people have accidentally shot themselves or their family members on their property in the past two years or so. Trust me, in this town? Stories like that make the news, pronto.

That's because in Los Angeles, all of the shooting is done by the police.

Mentally ill grandmother does something crazy.

This part of that story stuck out for me:

A person also must be deemed "suitable" by police before receiving a handgun permit, though there is no standard for determining suitability, said Mike Lawlor, the state's undersecretary for criminal justice policy and planning.

A flexible and undefined standard of suitability in the eyes of the government must be met before a citizen is authorized to exercise a constitutionally protected right. Does this really seem right to anyone besides Spatial Ed?

As for the guy who thought his gun was unloaded, the only time you should have that thought is when looking into an open action at an empty chamber. Also, the floor of the truck is a stupid place for a gun for a list of reasons. Hope he learned something from the experience.

Grandmother shoots two grandsons to death http://news.yahoo.co...-194223452.html

Dog shoots owner while riding in truck http://www.vibe.com/...-riding-shotgun

Mentally ill grandmother does something crazy.

This part of that story stuck out for me:

A person also must be deemed "suitable" by police before receiving a handgun permit, though there is no standard for determining suitability, said Mike Lawlor, the state's undersecretary for criminal justice policy and planning.

A flexible and undefined standard of suitability in the eyes of the government must be met before a citizen is authorized to exercise a constitutionally protected right. Does this really seem right to anyone besides Spatial Ed?

As for the guy who thought his gun was unloaded, the only time you should have that thought is when looking into an open action at an empty chamber. Also, the floor of the truck is a stupid place for a gun for a list of reasons. Hope he learned something from the experience.

seems ok to me

Accidents? How about suicides?

Jfc, do you ever read what you write?....

Suicides don't make the press. Except when its a celebrity.

Suicides don't make the press. Except when its a celebrity.

Wrong again. Especially when those suiciders use a gun.....

Provide a link to a suicide by gun in the last 24 hours. You know there have been several.

Provide a link to a suicide by gun in the last 24 hours. You know there have been several.

Dude, I have the radio on from sunrise to 2100 hrs, every g-damn day of the week. I alternate between music and our local AM news and talk channel. And trust me when I tell you, not a fuking thing happens in this town without me hearing about it immediately......

Dude, I have the radio on from sunrise to 2100 hrs, every g-damn day of the week. I alternate between music and our local AM news and talk channel. And trust me when I tell you, not a fuking thing happens in this town without me hearing about it immediately......

Let me guess, Rush and Hannity are on your broadcasts.