Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hobie Anarchy

Eight Bells - Jan Gougeon

Way too soon and way too young.

The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction, remains a go to reference manual to this day.

Thank you Jan and fair winds.

That's a real shame and a true loss to all who love boats, building boats and building or fixing just about anything.

How's this. 7 PM Gougeon time on Friday the 21st, everybody who has a supply of West Epoxy pumps a stroke of resin and one of hardener in a cup and just stands and stirs it until it hardens. With the fast hardener in a warm room that oughta be about 15 minutes.

and he certainly deserves a special extra fifteen minutes of fame.

Can somebody take this and roll with it so it actually happens????

Let's each mix a cup of GOOOOge for Jan.

...I'm sure I'm not the only one who's feeling a bit un-glued over this :(

.........sail-on Jan!!!

This is very sad news. I love Jan's designs! He was one of the most creative and down to earth designers I have met. He was a fearce competitor, and very willing to share his knowledge with the rest of the fleet. I have no doubt his legacy will be proudly carried by the folks at WEST, but his creativity and enthusiasm will be deeply missed in the sailing community.

Jan was a great inspiration to me and my brother. He was just as excited to tell us about his latest project "Strings" when we stopped by the boat shop as he was when I was there as a kid watching him build Tornados and Golden Dazy. He was always so helpful, pleasant and fun to be around (especially after races). He will be missed by many.

Wow....entirely too young, too. Gouv, I will mix a cup. Feel like I oughta rename this project "Jan," between the book that inspired/spurred the construction and the product that made it easier. Sail on, Jan.

post-768-0-49230600-1356021276_thumb.jpg

Such a sad loss to our community, and humanity as well. Sail on Jan and fair winds along with black ice. You are a true icon and man in every sense of the word.

A great innovator and with their book a great communicator. I'll raise my next batch to him.

Condolences to the family.

Rest in peace Jan, thanks for the help and advice on how to restore my Thistle.

Tim..great tribute. Although I don't quite have the assembled collection, i am sure I've used that much in my day. I was about 13 when I was introduced to West System. I am going to build a PT-11 nested dinghy with West System here as soon as Mrs. Bitches OK's the purchase. That may be several years from now..but it will happen.

Those of you at the party tomorow, Raise a glass, please.