Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

you're my favorite

We put up a story on the as far as you know it does not exist front page about designers telling us about their favorite design, So far we have asked Reichel-Pugh, Bruce Farr, Melvin and Morelli, Owen Clarke, Alan Andrews, Judel/Vrolijk, Bruce Nelson, VPLP, Jason Ker, Tim Kernan and Bob Perry to participate.

Anybody else you’d like to hear from? If so, post 'em here and we'll ask them...

We put up a story on the as far as you know it does not exist front page about designers telling us about their favorite design, So far we have asked Reichel-Pugh, Bruce Farr, Melvin and Morelli, Owen Clarke, Alan Andrews, Judel/Vrolijk, Bruce Nelson, VPLP, Jason Ker, Tim Kernan and Bob Perry to participate.

Anybody else you’d like to hear from? If so, post 'em here and we'll ask them...

Simon Rogers

These Designers post and PM on SA.

Yves Marie Tanton http://www.tantonyachts.com/

Great Atlantic design comments. Really understands the both the Euro and North American design elements that are desired. Posts on Crusing Anarchy

Mark Mills http://www.mills-design.com/boats/

The IRC King. He is known for IRC but check out his proposals for everything from Daysailors, Cruising boats to the next wave of production racer/cruisers

Kevin Dibley http://www.dibleymarine.com/

Dibley is the future now for production sailboats. He is an untapped source who if he was based in Europe or North America would be working overtime. He is currently involved in everything from very innovative crusing boats, boats that can be delivered via shipping containers to sportboats. Check out his site. He even designs IOM ....1 meter R/C boats http://www.dibleymarine.com/sail/sail/iom.html I can not think of any designer that is going into so many different areas other than Bob Perry and Kevin Dibley - They have this no fear of failure ethic

Steve Thompson

Steve Shaw

Elliot

Kjærulff

Juan K

The crazy russki

Simonis/Vogd

Borresen

Starling Burgess

And of course Paul Bieker

Kevin Dibley http://www.dibleymarine.com/

Dibley is the future now for production sailboats. He is an untapped source who if he was based in Europe or North America would be working overtime. He is currently involved in everything from very innovative crusing boats, boats that can be delivered via shipping containers to sportboats. Check out his site. He even designs IOM ....1 meter R/C boats http://www.dibleymar...l/sail/iom.html

I have a sneaking suspicion that our esteemed editor knows about that gentleman.

For good designs to talk to most sailors it would be useful to see the plans, especially as you are talking to the guys they could include relevant detail.

Others: v/dStad; Kooimans; Dijkstra; Rob Shaw; Bakewell/white to add a few.

Hot Rod :o

how about ron holland, doug peterson, and german frers?

WWing

how about ron holland, doug peterson, and german frers?

WWing

Indeed. Some of the finest boats of their time.

And add Ed Dubois....

Greg Elliott, Maximus, Mari Cha III, 6m Olympic match racer

Jo Richards U.K.'Full Pelt X' , Merlins & n12s

Julian B

MDB Murray re the current 18 footer

Bieker

Brendan Egan of the skiffs, Multis and sportsboats, everything he draws wins by miles

an 'uncontactable enigma' ? or not

Ian Farrier

too bad we missed Britton Chance by a few months

Doug Lord

Frank Mighetto reflections on various TPs & macs

Ron Holland is a must. Luca Brenta, Luca Bassani and Umberto Felci would fit here too. Pelle Pettersson maybe? Looking at what he has achieved in his lifetime, including one of the most beautiful Swedish cars...

John Corby

Yep. Love or loathe IRC, he's drawn more IRC winning boats over the decades than anyone else.

Scott Graham (G&S)

My first choice too,along with Eric Schlageter (RIP)

Bill Lee and Tony Castro

NIgel Irens

What he said.

Wasn't Hobie Alter one of the first big innerviews? But that was a long time ago and it seems like multis have been in the spotlight here and there since then.

Jim Antrim

Rob Shaw

Steve Thompson

Rod Johnstone

:lol:

Bruce King !

and

Ray Richards (if he hasn't passed on)

Bob Perry........... Who penned a ride that Beats Dollars for Dimes

(All the while shovelling back the shit from the peanut gallery)

Somme timeley innerviewes woud be bounseres, wattresses, batenderes, and w3terfronte peopel in Keye Weste. Hoew do the perpartion foure the impedding hearde of barbarriannes? Sherriffe office? Mayore office?

Hot Rod :o

:lol:

>> Somebody Else, (whomever that may be)...nice handle.

yet IMHO still the site design is miles ahead of many other sites created by established "yacht designers" in the fray.... that said, your observation coincides with a current revision happening as we speak...patience my friend.

Don Martin ... no, not the Mad cartoonist.

How about Stephens Warring.

Paul Warring is a great guy and they do very nice work.

You'll get a lot more out of Paul than those dead guys people keep suggesting.

Wouldn't it be great to read what good old Gary Mull would have had to say on this. What a great guy he was.

God.

I am really wondering how he come up with the ark, and what rating rule he was considering..

True. Very few people work in cubits anymore, but the '12C' (12 Cubit rule) would be very IRC friendly

nathanael herreshoff

LOL, noticed that!

Shame on you...

How can Captain Reid Stowe's lifetime's non achievements be forgotten so soon ? ........He would be the first last to acknowledge the inspirational and physical assistance of Hari Krishnas and guyanese child labour and assorted lesser beings, brought low by the ravages of tcp and Free Russian Vodka...

Jean Marie Finot

Niels Jeppessen

Marcelino Botin

Quorning

Please reach out to Phil Morrison. I would love to hear about his favorite design.

Morrison is a living legend in dinghy design. He designed a National 12 development hull called "China Doll" when he was 18. If you include the boats he designed for RS and Laser (The Laser 2000), there are literally thousands of his boats beings sailed in Europe. But it is his development class designs where his talent really roamed free, like the Merlin Rocket where his hulls won for 17 consecutive years in the 70s and 80s, and no history of the I14 class would be complete without his name . I think he designed some yachts + was on design team for a couple of AC challenges + some ocean going multihulls. Just a really interesting guy, with a design talent that included designing fittings as well as boats.

I believe he has retired now (if someone like that can ever really retire).

I would also be interested in hearing from Jim Taylor. Im curious whether he would choose one of his IMS designs form the nineties or something like the 8 meter he penned more recently for Bruce Dyson which is drop dead gorgeous.

VPLP

The guys at multiplast

How about adding some boat builders? Green marine, Neville Hutton, jeppeson, derecktor etc?

Bill Luders hands down! Then, Ray Hunt (anyone who could draw boats as excellent and varied as the Boston Whaler, 12m Easterner, International 210 and Bertram "Moppie" has to be good!)

How could we possibly forget the designer of the 65 by 32 foot catamaran north of San Francisco at Loch Lomond in San Rafael (Michael Johnson)!

Not every naval architect brings out design innovations and construction techniques that aren't used by any other boat builders and designers in the world.

+1 Bob Stephens / Paul Waring

+1 Paul Bieker

+1 Jim Antrim

that's all (the living) that come to mind...

Agree that Bill Tripp and Scott Graham would be good additions

How about Stephens Warring.

Paul Warring is a great guy and they do very nice work.

Wouldn't it be great to read what good old Gary Mull would have had to say on this. What a great guy he was.

Aw c'mon, having the Ed interview a dead guy might his most interesting work to date.

We'll let the Ed work on this, right after he gets done with the 2004 S/A Awards . . .

But in the meantime, what do WE think is a designer's best design? I think it's tough with Carl Schumacher - they were all great. Despite the high freeboard I think the Express 37 is a gorgeous boat, more so than the 27. In the "just fun to sail" category I liked AFTER MATH (where did it go?).

Group Finot

John Shuttleworth

Dave Pedrick

Rodger Martin

Philipe Briand

Danielle Andreau

Bill Dixon (especially early stuff when it was Primrose Design)

Ron Holland

Rodger Martin /Ross Weene, Pete Melvin, Verdier, Chris Maas, Steve Killing, Bieker, Russel Brown, Bruce King. Judel Vroljk

We'll let the Ed work on this, right after he gets done with the 2004 S/A Awards . . .

But in the meantime, what do WE think is a designer's best design? I think it's tough with Carl Schumacher - they were all great. Despite the high freeboard I think the Express 37 is a gorgeous boat, more so than the 27. In the "just fun to sail" category I liked AFTER MATH (where did it go?).

AbsolutlyPositively yes! He had a big advantage in that the builder did a fantastic job. If those Express 37's had a ton of issues like some other performance boat lines do to not following the Designers plans, layup schedule etc I really doubt that we would think highly of those boats...

But of course that is not the case and he really did a bang up job!

Sailboat Data has a nice collection of his drawings

http://sailboatdata.com/view_designer.asp?designer_id=20

yet IMHO still the site design is miles ahead of many other sites created by established "yacht designers" in the fray.... that said, your observation coincides with a current revision happening as we speak...patience my friend.

Sorry!

I am currently trying to unravel a client from a lot of Flash in their web site.

The task irritates me!

the new millennium was 13 years ago.

12 I thick....

I never understood how those year things work.

I guess I was wrong doing 2013 minus 2000 = 13?

12 I thick....

It's just snag math, just like snag splelink.

Make sure you ask not only for their favourite design of their own but also one by someone else.

Make sure you ask not only for their favourite design of their own but also one by somebody else.

Please, don't go to the trouble.

Besides sketches, I've only done a handful of lines plans, only one of which was built... as a scale model.

12 I thick....

It's just snag math, just like snag splelink.

Maybe. I'm not sure. I've had people explain to me in intricate detail how the millennium started in 1999 or 2000 or 2001 ... I can't remember which.

I'm a programmer. All indices start at zero. It's burned into my brain.