Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headntac

Simon sailed the 71 boat

To the sailing community at large and to the anarchists that count

At approx 10pm Thursday 17th January 2013 we lost one of our very best sailors.

Evo

Skirts never left his side for the last two months only to sleep.

He battled quietly a disabling disease.

When he did realise his fate he made things happen.

That's what simon could do, very fast on the water and fast on the land.

Rest in Peace big brother and to all from Skirts and our family we have lost a true

friend.

Celebrate his life.

May his memory live on in all of us.

HnT

Wow,

Sad to hear. I had noticed he stopped posting a while ago. Skirts is from Tampa as well. Best wishes to her and fair winds to Evo...

absolutely gutting to hear. simon was one of the good ones and though things always got in the way and we never made the meetup happen, the correspondence and words were always genuine. my deepest and sincere condolences to skirts and simon's family.

fair winds and following seas my friend

WTF??? I hung with him and Katie at her folks house in Napa just a couple years ago. WTF??? Is this a joke? If so, it sux. If not, it really sux. Didn't he just post yesterday or the day before...on the gold thread?

Fair Winds and following seas Simon. You were one of the cool dudes and I always enjoyed our chats. Katie and family, my sincere condolences.

I was wondering what this thread could be about from the title. Just popped in to see what it was. In a way I wish I had not as he was one of my favorite posters, good shipmate and stand up guy.

My thoughts to all who he was dear to.

Damn.

God speed my friend.

Terrible news, thru a couple of posts and a number of pm's we'd shared reminisces of similar upbringings in Steak 'n'....Vale Simon

Such a loss - Simon was a good friend to many - regardless of continent.

Condolences seems such an empty word, as I send my thoughts and my heart to SkirtRacer.

fair winds.

deepest and most heartfelt condolences to katie, family and friends.

Katie, Simon was a good man, and good friend, and got me across seas I might not otherwise have crossed. I cannot imagine your pain at his loss. I have nothing to offer in return, except affirmation. I am truly sorry for this news. Justin.

That's absolutely heart wrenching!

Hearing of one of the good guys cross the bar is tough, and gives one pause, to think how delicate we all become past a certain age.

Condolences to Skirts and fair winds to a stand up guy.

This is just tragic. :(

Condolences Skirts.

A few years ago I raced in Sydney for a worlds. Simon was there to offer welcome and advice, I brought the Gosling's which he shared with the dock. I always smiled when I would see katie's notes on FB about their adventures. It's a sad day.

It has been quite awhile since we chatted, but those chats were fun.

Katie, my sincere condolences.

M.

sad news indeed. Warm thoughts to Evo's family.

PS

Ancient mariner, the Gold thread posts were from last january.

Evo was the centre of the Sydney Anarchist scene. We had so many "meetings" all together especially in the early days. Words can't describe how sad I am for Katie and his brother.

I remember the night he turned up late for a party at my place. He turned up - Eventually.

Thanks for all the laughs Evo! And for all the drinks we shared!

TPG and I had the pleasure and good fortune to meet Simon when he was in the states last year in Newport. A wonderful person who we were looking forward to seeing again... You will be missed Evo.. It is a sad day for all of us Anarchists. To Katie, Headntac and all of Simon's family, I send my love and deepest condolences. :(

RIP. :(

So sad to hear and wish words I could offer would ease the pain many feel.

Thoughts and prayers for all who knew him.

Condolences and caring thoughts to all who have lost a friend and loved one with his passing. He was obviously a great friend to many, and a good bloke.

As many longtime Anarchists will know Bumcleat became Eventually became Evo, but for many he was Simon.

Mel and I first met Simon a long time ago when Harry Proa came to town with a kite. We organised Animus at MHYC and Simon was one of those who came. Others that night included Speedy, Philc and Supine. In a lovely Sydney Harbour Noreaster we laughed giggled and had a beer while Rob set up the kite. No one knew who Simon was or how he came to be aboard other than myself. As everyone was going home, Marty asked 'who was Simon? Where's he from?' My reply? 'That was Bumcleat'. Everyone jaws dropped.

For many years the Sydney Anarchists lead by Simon held drinks at the Lord Nelson in the city, followed by afters at Teakys around the corner. These were good times and too many tall tales told.

As Mel noted above Simon became Eventually because he turned up to a party at our place in the wee hours - Eventually Evans stuck. It is a fair way from the shire to the beaches...

During this time a lovely female anarchist met up with Simon and became his partner then wife. Skirts made the move to Australia and recently showed her affection for 'Downunder' and her husband by being naturalised.

I'll certainly miss the odd beer we would have when I visited the shire and dragged Simon from one office to the other across the road for a quiet ale.

Our thoughts go to Katie and Simons brother and business partner David. Simon will be missed around the Sydney waterfront and around Sailing Anarchy. We'll have a few for him this weekend.

Fair winds Evo. I'll raise a glass to your memory tonight.

Thoughts are with Skirts and Simon's family and friends. :(

Give me a Spirit that on this life's rough sea,

Loves t'have his sails filled with a lusty wind.

George Chapman 1559-1634

Raising a glass to ya Evo. Fair winds, soft setting sails. Condolences to family and global friends.

He will be missed here.

Rick

Skirts, we are both gutted - what a huge loss and We all loose another damned good man - know you are in our thoughts - there will be a copious amount of fine red wine for Evo..... I'm in tears and words fail us both...... To me he was my warrior brother..........

"They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn

At the going down of the Sun & in the morning

We will remember them"

Laurence Binyon, 1914

Jfc, this is just so unreal, unfair and out of the g-damn blue. Evo was the good (at least as far as I know on these boards), and was my kind of guy. Never even got the chance to teach him how to drink. Fuk fuk fukitty-fuk. I absolutely HATE shit like this. Thoughts and prayers to Skirts, the family and all of Simon's good friends....

Huge condolences from, Rick, The Nurse and Family.....

Just wanted to add mine and Mrs Leka's condolences.

We had discussed with Simon some time ago about getting a special ring made.

Regret not moving quicker on that now.

Thanks for all your help Simon. Fair winds.

I'm utterly in shock. He was 55-ish I think. Waaay too fucking young. We had no idea he was ill. That just sucks. Me & Simon had kind of a special relationship. We played golf and raced sailboats online. We were experts at trash talking each other...making us both laugh hysterically all the time. He always impressed me as an extremely well-educated guy, maybe even intimidated me that way at times. He even repaired a gold necklace for my wife Joan and Katie hand-carried the expertly repaired necklace back to the US and UPS'd it to us. Simon would not accept payment in any way no matter how hard I tried. We've been trying to arrange a trip to Sydney for years and looked forward to Simon & Katie showing us around. Damn. So glad we met in person a couple years ago. Our son BeerBonics was there also. Had a great time. Left the party a little early due to grandkids, but I learned the Aussie slang word bogan at least. It's come in handy a few times...

Katie: Please contact us if there is anything...anything at all...we can do. PLEASE. In the mean time, hang in there baby...

It was an honor to know him and we will miss him like a brother. Fair winds Bumcleat, Eventually, Evo....Simon Evans.

truly gutted, got to know simon online and we shared a few virtual boats in online racing.. glad I got to meet him in person a couple summers

ago when he and Katie came out to do a wed night race with us. He's the third friend I've lost this week.

Hey God, Enough already!!!

truly gutted, got to know simon online and we shared a few virtual boats in online racing.. glad I got to meet him in person a couple summers

ago when he and Katie came out to do a wed night race with us. He's the third friend I've lost this week.

Hey God, Enough already!!!

This growing-up shit is highly overated.....

Evo was the original Peter PN till he met Skirts....... I remember his counsel.........

Growing old I'd compulsory, growing up is optional..... Man did we have some fun on that!

Absolutely gutted. Simon was a great bloke, so glad I had the pleasure to meet him in person, (i don't think i have ever drunk that many pints.) When we last spoke in September he had been in hospital and as he disappeared from here recently I thought he might be unwell again, but I never thought we'd lose him.

The Sailing Anarchy community is a poorer without him. My thoughts and condolences to Skirts, his family and friends.

RIP EVO

Touch of Gray and I are quite saddened to read of Evo's death. We never met him in person, although he did send me a few notes with advice on long distance dating. Skirts, please accept our deepest and sincerest sympathy. And if you need a sounding board you know we are all here for you. He will be missed around here. Bill and Kathleen

Shocked and so sad. Evo had given me much good and welcome advice over several years, he was wonderful and giving. I wish I had known he was in Newport last year, would have loved to have met him in person. Please PM if there is anything the family needs.

A tragic loss, indeed. :(

I grew up sailing with Simon and his brothers at Port Hacking. In our late teens I crewed for Simon on his NS14. We made that thing sing. Simon was an exacting sailor. Many fond memories of those times. It's so unfair. Simon will be sadly missed.

Evo I knew only from his postings here, but it pains me to see another member of the SA family go. My thoughts and heart with Skirts.

Such sad news about one of the biggest characters on here - I was part of one of the virtual sailing gigs with him, we talked Etchells, IRC, Rugby, Cricket, pretty much anything that gets discussed in this place... Fair winds and following seas Evo. My thoughts and condolences with Skirts....

Oh no! Like most of us, I never got to meet the man in person but we had a lot of fun on these boards and the virtual volvo. We shared a lot of boat vagabond experience at about the same time back in the 80's, missed each other by fractions in the Pacific, or so we thought. I will badly miss the guy I knew could walk the walk and had been there and done that.

My most heartfelt condolences Skirts.

Like a lot of people I only knew Evo from postings here and a PM's. A really great guy, SA just got a little poorer.

As Boothy said, this growing up shit truly sucks at time.

RIP

TPG and I had the pleasure and good fortune to meet Simon when he was in the states last year in Newport. A wonderful person who we were looking forward to seeing again... You will be missed Evo.. It is a sad day for all of us Anarchists. To Katie, Headntac and all of Simon's family, I send my love and deepest condolences. :(

I'm happy to have joined you guys in hoisting a cold one with Evo, I'm glad to have met him. Sad news indeed, my heart goes out to Skirts and the rest of his family.

Too young, too, early, and too damned often it seems of late.

As many longtime Anarchists will know Bumcleat became Eventually became Evo, but for many he was Simon.

Mel and I first met Simon a long time ago when Harry Proa came to town with a kite. We organised Animus at MHYC and Simon was one of those who came. Others that night included Speedy, Philc and Supine. In a lovely Sydney Harbour Noreaster we laughed giggled and had a beer while Rob set up the kite. No one knew who Simon was or how he came to be aboard other than myself. As everyone was going home, Marty asked 'who was Simon? Where's he from?' My reply? 'That was Bumcleat'. Everyone jaws dropped.

For many years the Sydney Anarchists lead by Simon held drinks at the Lord Nelson in the city, followed by afters at Teakys around the corner. These were good times and too many tall tales told.

Thanks for trip down memory lane, Phil.

He'll always be Bumcleat to me, stubborn as a brick wall but a big softie at heart.

Katie, we've never met but sending some thoughts your way.

Bottoms up big fella...

I'm happy to have joined you guys in hoisting a cold one with Evo, I'm glad to have met him. Sad news indeed, my heart goes out to Skirts and the rest of his family.

Too young, too, early, and too damned often it seems of late.

We all had fun that night, didn't we :) Happy memories.....

Hard to imagine someone so full of life is now gone.

Simon was instantly likable, even through the superficial facade of an internet forum. The GetEmOut antics were priceless. Glad to have met him in person, and to have seen him as happy as he was with Katie.

Katie - so very sorry. Wish I knew what else to say.

Sail on, Simon.

ratz and I got this story first hand, I knew he posted about it but I figured i'd link it again, its a great story and was even better in person

http://forums.sailin...00#entry3372727

That's a great story..... too cool to have birds that use a doggy door and then show up with kids.

I played a online sailing race back in '05 or so when Evo was playing. I had another person, won't name, from aussie that helped steer my boat while I was asleep and I did the same. Evo and Bowgirl commented on how amazing it was that I just missed islands.... I'm truly sadden by hearing this. Seemed like a very awesome guy!!

Characters like Evo you imagine as immortal, and then the news hits. Now he's one of the immortals. Fair winds and following seas, Evo. Condolences to Skirts and family.

ratz and I got this story first hand, I knew he posted about it but I figured i'd link it again, its a great story and was even better in person

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=116636&st=1400#entry3372727

Evo and MSG were both in that thread.

Hope they are still having fun in another place.

So saddened to hear this news.

Simon was an SA mate.

He offered a few times to help out with real world, family stuff even though we'd never met.

Including sending some pics of my mother's view from her aged care home when he was in the area.

It was too easy to feel that you knew him, and now he is gone.

I was unaware he was unwell.

Condolences to his partner, his brother and family.

Yowie

Red soldiers please. MB's were are the preference.

We did 3 ways with Catherine for a long time till that didn't work anymore.

My deepest condolences Katie, David. Just shattered.

Shit!

Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!

Katie, your time together was way too short. I'm so sorry for your loss and sadness. Please accept a heartfelt hug from across the miles.

I was lucky enough to have met Evo on a yacht race not long after I found this place in 05. Apparently then I broke the golden rule and let the others on the boat what my sign in was, Evolution (back then ) was the first guy who admitted back to me who he was. It made me feel a bit more comfortable posting on this place after that, I actually knew some person.

The Getemout races where a truck load of fun and Evo would often help out when I had to travel way a for a little sail race every now and then.

Evo was a stand up guy and I now realise wy I could not get a hold of him just before xmas I will miss him and I did have a small tear in my eye while reading this thread.

RIP Simon

Getemout was a hoot, lots of fun competition in em driven heavily by Evo. He'll be waiting for all of us with a case of bundy and those goddamn poodles.

As most of you know, Simon passed away Thursday night 17.01.13 from complications resulting from liver cancer. Simon's illness was very sudden - he had recently returned from America after racing The Newport to Bermuda Race with his best friend Lorenzo on his boat, Bacci, and the Saturday before he got sick (20.09.2012) he had won a race on Sydney Harbour on one of his favorite yachts, Youngstar. Simon tried to check himself out of ICU so he could race the following Saturday. He certainly was a stubborn head-strong big Aussie Bloke!

After endless tests, scans, procedures, hospital stays we learned the first weekend in December that Simon had cancer. We met with the best oncologist in Sydney for cancer of the liver and were told chemo would be too dangerous and Simon wouldn't survive surgery for a transplant. Simon was given a prognosis of two months; he still carried hope as knowing the liver was one organ that could repair itself enough for treatment and he hadn't had a drink since the 20th of September. Unfortunately before his next oncology appointment Simon's organs started failing (liver, kidneys, heart...) and he was admitted to HDU/ICU (08.01.13) Lorenzo flew in from New York and his beloved niece, Natassia Maree, from Alice Springs. We brought him home last Monday as he desperately wanted where he was able to stay until he lost consciousness Thursday morning. An ambulance took him to Calvary Palliative/Hospice where his best mates, Lorenzo and Lynda, and his family were able to say good-bye.

I feel so honored that I was able to know such a loving, honest, intelligent, strong, kind, gorgeous man for the last 8 years and his wife since 2007. We were best friends and just really enjoyed each other's company - often spiriting ourselves away together in our beloved flat in Cronulla cooking (Simon), talking (sailing, history, politics, books, jewelry, travel, art, food) laughing, teasing... Simon was my other half - the love of my life.

Simon gave me the most wonderful gift of introducing me to Australia. I came to fall in love with Australia and its people and Simon was by my side when I proudly said the affirmation to become an Australian Citizen last Wednesday (the Mayor of the Sutherland Shire was kind enough to come to our home for the pledge a head of Australia Day). Simon was so excited that I wanted to be an Aussie.

Simon and I had spoken years ago that he would like to be scattered in several locations - (Yowie Bay, Bate Bay, Botany Bay, Sydney Harbour...) I'm going to do what I can to make that happen - in his very last words to me - "Yes, Dear"...

There will be more formal arrangements, as well. Please pass along the following if anyone wishes to attend the celebration of Simon's life.

Simon's service is this Thursday, 24th January - 12pm midday in the South Chapel, Woronora Crematorium, Linden Street, Sutherland ('The Shire') with a "get-together" (food & drinks) to follow:

The Historic Como Hotel, 35 Cremona Road, Como NSW 2226 www.thecomo.com.au 9528 9900

In lieu of flowers, donations to any of the following would be appreciated - envelopes available at the service or you may donate online:

WIRES (took care of Mr Squawk, the wild lorikeet we feed) - www.wires.org.au

Sailors with disABILITIES - www.sailorswithdisabilities.com

Australian Red Cross (Simon had numerous blood and plasma transfusions) - www.donateblood.com.au

The ACU Refugee Program on the Thai-Burma Border - www.acu.edu.au/Thai-Burma

And just be kind to one another...

Thank you.

~Skirts

Thank you Skirts for your great post.

Could not have been easy for you to write, but the update and information is much appreciated.

While we did have some PM discussions, unfortunatley we never got to meet Simon.

I have made a donation to SWD in his honor.

Thank you for your generous donation to Sailors with disABILITIES.

Your details have been received.

Transaction Ref: 76994291

Wow ...just wow...condolenes to Katie, Dave and all the Evans and extended family.

Simon and I at times didn't see eye to eye (literally)on the water and off but i had huge respect as he could not only sail but he was intimadatingly smart and new alot about alot.

He was responsible for me joining the anarchy family and virtual sailing for which i'm thankful.

Many beers had at the office (where he and Dave made my wedding ring amongst other things) at Caringbah Inn, Northies, the Cubby house and CYC.

He will be missed

Hope to see you all on Thursday. Rum and Cokes all round.

Pil

Jfc, 2.

Thanx for that Skirts. Really. Just sheds more light on a gentleman that I never got to meet, but bathed this forum (and the sea) in his own brand of light------as only a good, honest, real man can. We're looking at a gorgeous half moon right now under the desert stars----yet sad that we can't see the Southern Cross at the moment. 'Cuz we'd like to think that the star fairies are moving a new one with Simon's name on it, somewhere in that constellation.....

Jfc, 2.

Thanx for that Skirts. Really. Just sheds more light on a gentleman that I never got to meet, but bathed this forum (and the sea) in his own brand of light------as only a good, honest, real man can. We're looking at a gorgeous half moon right now under the desert stars----yet sad that we can't see the Southern Cross at the moment. 'Cuz we'd like to think that the star fairies are moving a new one with Simon's name on it, somewhere in that constellation.....

Sems like a good guy like Sean Taylor taken way too young....

Bugger!

Evo, who I dubbed Simon the Likeable, was one of the original Anarchists here in Aus and as befittted his profession, was an absolute gem of a man.

Never met him in person but we had many on-line chats, pm's and 'phone calls about sailing, Anarchy and life in general.

It should never be underestimated what a huge support he was to MSG / Catherine in her time of need but ironically, and I guess unsurprisingly, we didn't know of his own travails.

I am not able to be there on Thursday but will pay my respects and raise a glass at the time. Condolences to Skirts.

Such a sad loss to his family and friends and to this community.

Damn . . .

Never met him in person, but I sure enjoyed having him around on the boards here.

R.I.P. Brother -_-

We are all richer for having been able to spend time reading EVO's posts and for his willingness to be frank and honest. God speed to him and also to Skirt. Warm winds...Following seas, and Fair skies EVO. May peace be with you.

Rest in Peace EVO. All the best to you Skirts. I'm glad you two found each other and were able to spend what time you did together.

Thanks Skirts

Simon was one of the few people I've met who was as big in life as on-line - you got what you saw, warts and all. If you believe people without opinions aren't worthwhile, then Simon was your man. You'll be much missed mate. Fair winds, goslings and the rest...

D

RIP mate. I was thinking about sending you a PM on the weekend...

Thoughts with family and friends.

I thought 2013 was meant to be better...

Crap..so many good & bad times with that bloke back in the '90's when he was living in NY. I have a bunch of stories but it will take a few bottles of rum to get them out of me. Also have some great pics of us tuning the Melges24(Ragged Edge, USA 71) while we wereat Banks Sails. We really made some good sails and explored some crazy ideas to make those boats go faster! RIP mate I'll raise a drink or two in your honor tonight..Cheers, Matt !

Thoughts and prayers to his family, dear ones and mates. RIP Bro. Neil

RIP Evo, will raise a rum tonight.

Condolances from the Rhumb Liners.

Jim. :(