Sign in to follow this  
Guest One of Five

Oh Looky - NY Sheriffs Association responds to Cuomo's gun laws.

10 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I don't understand the terminology that described the wrangling over whether the SCOTUS should hear the case, nor do I get why that seemed more important to Alito than the actual decision. 

Next to standing, ripeness is probably the most important doctrine of federal law.  Here's a fairly simple explanation why.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/article-3/section-2/clause-1/ripeness

1 minute ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Next to standing, ripeness is probably the most important doctrine of federal law.  Here's a fairly simple explanation why.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/article-3/section-2/clause-1/ripeness

Thanks - I enjoy it when I get a chance to explore somethin' I didn't know.  

that's why i take the time.  And because I wanna go fishing with you when this is eased off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

This seems to be the heart of it: 

"It remains good general law that pre-enforcement challenges to criminal and regulatory legislation will often be unripe for judicial consideration because of uncertainty of enforcement,582 because the plaintiffs can allege only a subjective feeling of inhibition or fear arising from the legislation or from enforcement of it,583 or because the courts need before them the details of a concrete factual situation arising from enforcement in order to engage in a reasoned balancing of individual rights and governmental interests"  

It makes all Alito's gyrations make more sense now - thanks! 

The legal issue here is, and should be, a search for any legitimacy for outdoor gun rights. The no-bullshit state of the art is hereby presented, read SAILING ANRCHY.

Hmmm, this very search hit a dead-end in certain recent cases. The right to outdoor gun proliferation is yet tbd, as expected by these orderly, and open, developments. Research by Patrick Charles, Historiographical Crisis:

Kachalsky, 701 F.3d at 91

(“History and tradition do not speak with one voice here. What history demonstrates is that states often disagreed as to the scope of the right to bear arms, whether the right was embodied in a state constitution or the Second Amendment.”);

Kachalsky, 701 F.3d at 96 (alteration in original)

(“The historical prevalence of the regulation of firearms in public demonstrates that while the Second Amendment’s core concerns are strongest inside hearth and home, states have long recognized a countervailing and competing set of concerns with regard to handgun ownership and use in public.”).

Drake, 724 F.3d at 431 (same);

Masciandaro, 638 F.3d at 470-71

(“[A]s we move outside the home, firearm rights have always been more limited, because public safety interests often outweigh individual interests in self-defense.”);

cf. Peruta, 824 F.3d at 939

(in U.S. history, “the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms does not include, in any degree, the right of a member of the general public to carry concealed firearms in public”).

52 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

cause i didn't want it overturned.

So it never had anything to do with public safety? Imagine that.

It would be funny if they granted cert to Rogers v. Grewal. Wonder if NJ would jump to change their "critical for public safety" "good reason" CCW laws?

18 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

Hmmm, this very search hit a dead-end in certain recent cases.

Amazing how your "state of the art" search ends before Wrenn, Joe. Talk about a dead end.

How did that one go again?

Oh:

"ORDERED and ADJUDGED that both orders of the District Court appealed from in these
causes be vacated and the cases be remanded with instructions to enter permanent injunctions
against enforcement of the District’s good-reason law, in accordance with the opinion of the court
filed herein this date"

https://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Wrenn-v.-D.C._Judgment.pdf

2 hours ago, bpm57 said:

So it never had anything to do with public safety? Imagine that.

of course not.  it's procedural law.

18 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I didn't take time to digest all of it - but, it seemed that Kavanaugh said it was a moot point because the new statute eliminated the cause of the problem - and Alito disagreed w/the point being moot, but seemed to agree that the prior statute was an infringement.    I don't understand the terminology that described the wrangling over whether the SCOTUS should hear the case, nor do I get why that seemed more important to Alito than the actual decision.

Kav and the majority said that the plaintiffs got what they wanted. As Alito points out, that's just not true on a few levels.

The big one is whether they can travel around with their guns like normal Americans. The City promises it won't enforce its new law w/respect to things like stopping for coffee or a piss break. There's no reason to believe them on those exceptions and in any case, normal Americans can stop to see a friend or something on the way to or from shooting.

The next biggest one is that the plaintiffs asked for attorney's fees. Fight a case like this one for 6 years and you'll rack up some bills. The City was happy to rack up those bills for taxpayers in defending their "necessary" travel restrictions through the appeals court level and the plaintiffs racked up large bills too. Then the City bailed when it became apparent that they'd have to defend their rules before SCOTUS. The plaintiffs didn't get what they wanted there either.

The last one was a non-specific request for other damages. Violations of constitutional rights sometimes trigger damages. Not this time.

So the new statute doesn't eliminate the cause of the problem and even if it did, the plaintiffs wanted a ruling that the old one was unconstitutional so that NY or other grabby places don't enact another one like it.

If someone cost you large legal bills for years on end, you'd probably see why not being reimbursed is a problem. OTOH, financial burdens on second amendment rights seem to be a goal, not a problem, to some, as the amicus brief of Black Guns Matter notes.

As a non-reader, Joe doesn't get much right, but he is right about this:

17 hours ago, jocal505 said:

The legal issue here is, and should be, a search for any legitimacy for outdoor gun rights.

There are those here who insist that we always, always, pay attention to the first part of the second amendment, so I like to respect their wishes by pointing out that the search involves answering the question of whether we had indoor or outdoor militias. I continue to think we had outdoor militias. Wacky, I know.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 6:06 AM, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Brief amicus curiae of National African American Gun Association, Inc. filed.

The Slave Codes were reenacted as the Black Codes, including prohibitions on both the keeping and the carrying of firearms by African Americans. As Frederick Douglass explained in 1865, “the black man has never had the right either to keep or bear arms.” 4 The Frederick Douglass Papers 84 (1991), quoted in McDonald, 561U.S. at 850 (Thomas, J., concurring).

The first state law noted in McDonald as typical of what the Fourteenth Amendment would invalidate required a license to have a firearm that an official had complete discretion to limit or deny. Mississippi provided that “no freedman, free negro or mulatto, not25in the military service of the United States government, and not licensed so to do by the board of police of his or her county, shall keep or carry fire-arms of any kind . . . .” Certain Offenses of Freedmen, 1865 Miss. Laws p. 165, § 1, quoted in McDonald, 561 U.S.at 771. “[T]he statute laws of Mississippi do not recognize the negro as having any right to carry arms.” Harper’s Weekly, Jan. 13, 1866, at 3.

South Carolina’s Black Code provided that no person of color “shall, without permission in writing from the District Judge or Magistrate, be allowed to keep a fire arm,” except “the owner of a farm, may keep a shot gun or rifle, such as is ordinarily used in hunting, but not a pistol, musket, or other fire arm or weapon appropriate for purposes of war.” S.C. Stat.,No. 4730, § XIII, 250 (1865).

An African American convention in South Carolina stated that “the Constitution of the United States explicitly declares that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed,” and thus “the late efforts of the Legislature of this State to pass an act to deprive us of arms be forbidden, as a plain violation of the Constitution . . . .” 2 Proceedings of the Black State Conventions, 1840-1865, 302 (1980). Sen.Charles Sumner summarized the petition in the Senate, noting its demand “that they should have the constitutional protection in keeping arms, in holding public assemblies, and in complete liberty of speech and of the press.” Cong. Globe, 39th Cong., 1st Sess.337 (1866)

It looks like NAAGA has come to the attention of CBS News

The group was founded by Phillip Smith, who fondly remembers the first time he fired his 9 mm pistol at a gun range.

"I felt free," Smith said. "I had a chance to kind of have some power in my hands."

Uh oh. That sounds like the immature desire for gunpower by black people that scares Jocal so much.

...in just five years, NAAGA has started 75 chapters with more than 30,000 members, over 90% of whom are black.

"We have folks from every walk of life," Smith said. "Black doctors, gay, straight, Republicans, Democrats. You name it, we have it … We're not monolithic in why we're all here. We have different reasons."

Nezida Davis joined NAAGA to learn how to protect herself. She's not alone: more than 60% of NAAGA members are black women.

"I'm usually looked at like I'm a Martian," Davis said. "I mean, literally, if I come in and I get ready to go into the gun range, people are looking at me like, 'Why is she here? Black women don't shoot.' But we shoot."

After black churchgoers were targeted in Charleston and Mexicans were targeted in El Paso, members say they're prepared to defend themselves.

"It's crime in our communities, but it's also a white nationalist," Davis said. "I mean, I do believe they're emboldened … And, yes, I wanna be armed. I'm not goin' down without a fight. So I look at it that way. And so by bein' able to protect ourselves, by training properly and getting our practice in, and learning how to defend ourselves, at least we will be able to fight back if we are attacked -- from white supremacists or white nationalists."

AJ will be along to call her a coward in 3...2...1...

4 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Uh oh. That sounds like the immature desire for gunpower by black people that scares Jocal so much.

Yeah, our cities are burning, patience is gone. And Tom displays his pattern of race-baiting.

4 hours ago, jocal505 said:

Yeah, our cities are burning, patience is gone. And Tom displays his pattern of race-baiting.

Poor Joe. All these years, still running away from his own words.

4 hours ago, bpm57 said:

Poor Joe. All these years, still running away from his own words.

Poor Joe. He lived in a neighborhood for thirty years, where even the August temperatures could make the locals testy. Kids would go off, and moms would go off too.

There were issues.

Let's be careful out there, DeadEye.

6 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Oh, the anonymous online Shitstain known as dogballs is trolling Jocal again because jocal is the only one left who’ll reply to dogballs dishonest garbage

And r'iblet the white knight to the rescue.

2 hours ago, jocal505 said:

Poor Joe. He lived in a neighborhood for thirty years, where even the August temperatures could make the locals testy. Kids would go off, and moms would go off too.

There were issues.

Let's be careful out there, DeadEye.

The story keeps getting better. A couple more years and we will read about your 30 years of living in inner city Detroit.

7 hours ago, bpm57 said:

And r'iblet the white knight to the rescue.

It's funny that he claims not to know what the word anonymous means. I would not admit my real name if I acted like he does. Heck, I probably wouldn't even admit to being a returd formerly known as akaGP.

Weird that Professor Oliver hasn't appeared to call Nezida Davis a coward yet.

On 5/31/2020 at 2:37 AM, Cacoethesic Tom said:

I would not admit my real name if I acted like he does.

let's play WHEEL OF RACE-BAITING with our host, Tom "dogballs" Ray

1. Aussie Apartheid, then the NAACP; 
  2. MLK's gun permit denial, the NAACP;
  3. MLK's church, smearing Rev. Mosteller, the NAACP;
  1. Bloomberg and stop and frisk, the NAACP; 
  1. Gangstas dealing drugs, sheer scapegoating, and the NAACP; 
  2. Stacy Abrams, the Black Panthers, and the NAACP;
  3. Louis Farrakhan, Darren X, the NAACP;
  4. Judge Taney is coming, twenty-seven times, the NAACP;
  5. Dred Scott fifteen times, as a code for gun rights, and the NAACP
  6. Cooing Chicago (instead of noticing multiple epidemics of violence), the NAACP;
  7. Claiming black gun stats disprove white gun ownership problems;
  8. Did I mention the NAACP… for166 mentions?

5 minutes ago, astro said:

That's pretty gutsey.

When unarmed blacks are kiiled for no reason, what about the risk to slaves armed with Assault rifles?

They would have to be prepared to die.

Gutsy?  Nah, people like Nezida Davis are just cowards. Just wait. AJ will be along to confirm any day now.

Originally Answered: What caliber kills the most?

Statistically, within the United States anyway, that would be the 22 Long Rifle cartridge.

The 22 bolt action rifle is the most common of all firearms, found in the household of nearly every gun owner. Even if you hate guns, chances are you have one of these in attic or in storage that you inherited from a relative. They have been used in many suicides and acts of domestic violence.

Back in the 1960s and continuing well past the 90s, the most common handgun used in street crime was the “Saturday Night Special”… a derogatory term used by anti-gun politicians to refer to inexpensive handguns marketed primarily to poor people. Often, the frames were made from cast zinc alloy and they were unsafe to carry with a round chambered because they tended to discharge if dropped. The RG-14 snub revolver and the Jennings J-22 were both extremely popular with a retail price of about $75… both were chambered for 22 Long Rifle and they have been recovered from thousands of crime scenes.

The reason the 22 Long Rifle has killed so many people is because it is so popular. These guns are everywhere, even in gun free zones like NYC and Chicago, where most gun crimes seem to occur. A gun runner can use a straw buyer to purchase a case of cheap 22 pistols at a discount, close to $50 per unit, then resell them to gang members for $300 each. That is a bigger profit than selling cocaine with less risk, and why a gangbanger is more likely to have a zinc 22 than a far more expensive Glock.

This is just statistics… sort of like trivia… the 22 Long Rifle is actually far less deadly than most other calibers and used extensively for target shooting, from plinking to competition. Most of the guns chambered for 22 Long Rifle are deemed so innocuous they are specifically excluded from many gun bans.

C. R. Jahn, author of FTW Self Defense

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 4:53 PM, Fakenews said:

7 years on From Cuomo wise ban on extended magazines, Colorado’s Supreme Court upholds a similar ban.

Great News!
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/505102-colorado-supreme-court-affirms-ban-on-large-capacity-gun-magazines

Hmm... Is 5, 7, 10, or 15 "large" or "extended" to you, Gator? I'm talking magazines, not... other things.

If I own a Glock 27 and I'm aware of this product, do I own a gun that is capable of accepting more than 15 rounds of ammunition?

Tom's Golf Cart of Death.  These cunts are fucking obscene.  This is just one example of why America is so fucked.

5 hours ago, astro said:

Tom's Golf Cart of Death.  

Are you sure? Where are the beer cans? 

America to stop measuring gun-related deaths in an effort to eradicate gun crime

Donald-Trump-SS3-620x388.jpg

US President Donald Trump says the nation’s gun crime will plummet thanks to a new policy which will see gun-related deaths no longer recorded.  

The President said the US – which currently has one of the highest rates of gun crime in the world – could expect to see the number of deaths caused by guns to drop to zero if his policy passes Congress.

“I have ordered for authorities to slow down the measurement of gun crime because it is adding to the number deaths,” Trump said at a press conference today. “The more you measure gun deaths, the more people are going to die. It’s as simple as that.”

The NRA has backed the move saying it is the best way to ensure that mass shootings at schools and shopping malls were eradicated while maintaining the right for Americans to bear arms.  In a statement the NRA said, “Guns don’t kill people. Gun statistics kill people”.

9 hours ago, astro said:

America to stop measuring gun-related deaths in an effort to eradicate gun crime

Oh look, random Australian thinks a satire website is real. 

2 hours ago, bpm57 said:
11 hours ago, astro said:

Not a satire. For five years, Florida and Alabama have failed to participate in the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting system.

On 8/1/2019 at 2:52 PM, bpm57 said:
On 8/1/2019 at 6:51 AM, jocal505 said:

Joe sez oGo to Wiki for state-by-state homicide comps.

How about you provide a link, just like you require from everyone else. Hopefully to a chart at the FBI website, not wikipedia.org

On 8/1/2019 at 6:51 AM, jocal505 said:

Florida shows a blank...right where the UCR screens out any local hanky-panky.

ON THE ROAD TO IGNORANCE

Here ya go. Thanks (to DeadEye Dick) for asking for the link... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

for only Florida and Alabama, as of fucking 2015 AD...

gun murders (blank: unreported)

murder rate per 100K (blank, unknown ffs)

gun murder rate per 100K (blank, unknown)

Not a satire. For five years, Florida and Alabama have failed to participate in the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting system.

What does that have to do with random's posting of a satire website as truth? You did see his cut & paste, right? Well, 5 seconds in google finds the source: the aussie version of theonion.

For five years, Florida and Alabama have failed to participate in the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting system.

If you are going to keep reposting this, why do you continue to ignore the most recent data?

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/topic-pages/tables/table-4

Oh look, FL and AL. Imagine.

15 hours ago, bpm57 said:
On 7/3/2020 at 4:16 PM, astro said:

847eed2503bf544f997b97a76a573cde.gif

7 hours ago, bpm57 said:

What does that have to do with random's posting of a satire website as truth? You did see his cut & paste, right? Well, 5 seconds in google finds the source: the aussie version of theonion.

If you are going to keep reposting this, why do you continue to ignore the most recent data?

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/topic-pages/tables/table-4

Oh look...

Well, thanks for the unrelated info, which fails to cover gun violence.

See what I mean? Where are the UCR gun stats for Florida, from the FBI, as reported in 48 other states?

15 hours ago, bpm57 said:

The best part is, that it pissed you off!

Gold!

giphy.gif

Australia Enjoys Another Peaceful Day Under Oppressive Gun Control Regime

image.png.a1cb1e5108ab0d0efaff40740350b4f1.png

Due to the nation’s controversial and oppressive gun restrictions, no one has died as a result of a mass-shooting from an automatic or semi-automatic weapon on Australian soil today, for the 8499th day in a row.

North Betoota cinema attendant, Christina Upton can’t believe it has been a whole 23 years, 3 months and 8 days since a heavily armed white Australian male decided to shoot at a crowd of unsuspecting Australian civilians for no reason.

She says the peaceful two decades that have followed are “probably” because the Australian government decided to strip her of a God-given right to own projectile weaponry capable of shooting down helicopters.

“Yeah, I mean the Yanks come across as sick people. This year there have been more mass shootings in America than calendar dates… But it wasn’t that long ago that Australia had postal workers holding their entire office hostage with AR-15s”

Ms Upton, who claims to be able to walk freely outside of her home without fear of being killed by a mass shooter, believes that God-given rights probably play a bigger role in America’s mass shootings than Americans think.

“I don’t think America should be so hard on itself about the mental state of thousands of lonely white losers. We have those people too,”

“…Just in our country those people don’t have access to Russian-made automatic assault rifles that have been invented purely to help military personnel win wars,”

“If I was in America, I’d be terrified of working in a cinema – for fear that one of these losers would use their God-given rights to murder me in cold blood,”

Per 100,000 residents in Australia, less than 1 are expected to be killed by a firearm this year. This is heavily contrasted to the 10.5 in 100,000 who will be killed in America.

Local Betoota cop, Uncle Rick, says that this is because idiots have a harder time getting their hands on machine guns than criminals.

“I think America needs to realise that it’s not really the criminals and gangster you need to worry about as such. I’d be more concerned about the indoor types”

“Criminals use guns to help their efforts in making money through crime – they have much less interest in killing you for the sake of it,”

“Weirdos use guns to shoot up medical centres and primary schools for no reason other than the fact that they want to use their God-given rights,”

“In Australia. Our weirdos are forced to write stern letters,”

12 hours ago, jocal505 said:

Well, thanks for the unrelated info, which fails to cover gun violence.

Well Joe, just carry on with quoting a wikipedia article that covers up to 2015, then cry "WhErE iS tHe DaTa FoR tHe LaSt 5 YeArS???!"

Maybe try using google.

12 hours ago, astro said:

Due to the nation’s controversial and oppressive gun restrictions, no one has died as a result of a mass-shooting from an automatic or semi-automatic weapon on Australian soil today, for the 8499th day in a row.

The people who died in shootings _not_ using an evil semi-auto firearm don't count. Much like Joe's non-firearm suicides, they are less dead.

12 hours ago, astro said:

The best part is, that it pissed you off!

It did? More of that PA leftist mind reading?

On 7/4/2020 at 12:22 AM, astro said:

it has been a whole 23 years, 3 months and 8 days since a heavily armed white Australian male decided to shoot at a crowd of unsuspecting Australian civilians for no reason.

So if a non-white Pusstralian Male, or a white pusstralian female shoots up a bunch of folks - that's OK?

2 hours ago, Burning Man said:

So if a non-white Pusstralian Male, or a white pusstralian female shoots up a bunch of folks - that's OK?

Sorry to disappoint you Jeffy, but haven't had any of those either!   :lol:

American Gets That Funny Look In Her Eyes After Australian Brings Up Gun Control

CLANCY OVERELL | Editor | CONTACT

A seemingly rational discussion between two people, who agree on most things, has taken a sharp turn this afternoon.

While both holidaying in the same place, two middle-aged women, both with children that are similar ages, have found themselves disagreeing over the idea that more guns and more access to guns results in more people who shouldn’t be allowed to have guns using guns to kill people who don’t deserve to die.

The key difference between these two upper-middle class people appears to be that one is American and one isn’t.

Off the back of a completely seperate conversation, the two women began bonding over several things that they both have in common through their relatively similar lives as suburban semi-employed stay-at-home mothers.

That was until the most recent tragedy was brought up.

“Oh it’s such a tragedy” says Sarah, an Australian.

“Oh isn’t it” says Carrie, the American, who goes on to reminisce a time before over 29 innocent people could be gunned down in the same day, without any form of political intervention.

“I just wonder when it will end. It just keeps happening. I don’t know what is wrong with the world”

“It all started at that high school years ago”

As the two holidayers begin to wrap up their discussion around the commendable efforts from emergency personnel, and the situational variations between this particular tragedy and the last one – that happened nine days ago – the Australian woman begins to edge towards the topic of ‘preventative measures’

“Something’s got to be done to make sure these people can’t do things like this” says Sarah, the Australian.

“Definitely” says Carrie, the American.

“I guess, we figured it out in Australia about twenty years ago…” says Sarah the Australian before being cut off.

“Oh did you? You don’t have gun crime in Australia?” asks Carrie in a lightly defensive tone. Sarah responds

“Well yeah, but not since –”

“So you do!?” Carrie interjects agin.

“There’s no use pointing the finger at guns, there’s much more at play here” she says.

For the following twenty minutes, Sarah is given a comprehensive run-down on how criminals don’t care about gun laws and that simply banning guns will not solve anything.

“But none of these people involved in these particular tragedies have had criminal records, surely it would stop them” says Sarah, The Australian.

“You don’t know that!” says Carrie, the American, who says that God-given-rights should not have to be stripped from the everyday American because of a toxic culture of mass-killings.

“So, what? We are just going to ban Americans from owning guns in the hope that it MIGHT stop some of these crazies from getting their hands on them” she spits.

“Yeah, I guess that be worth a look into” says Sara, The Australian.

Carrie, who doesn’t seem to have a loaded retort to this particular tangent, responds by saying something quite racist about the differences in demographics between Australia and America.

If Australia is so safe, why the need to confiscate museum collections?

'It’s my constitutional freaking right': Black Americans arm themselves in response to panicdemic, protests

Philip Smith, president of the National African American Gun Owners’ Association, said his organization’s annual membership has increased by much as 2,000 new members per day — a figure he used to see annually. His organization has grown to more than 30,000 members this year and has an online following of nearly 90,000 people.

The influx of interest in gun owning — and seeking membership in Black gun owner organizations — began as soon as the pandemic set in. Fears of a damaged economy, disrupted supply chain and slow-moving federal response inspired people to take up arms.

"If you have a half a brain in your head even saying, 'Oh, this might get serious, let me plan accordingly," Smith explained.

The Floyd protests, he added, were a “line in the sand” for many of his new members. Leaders of other Black gun ownership organizations echo this response, saying the spike owes to a range of concerns many Black Americans have.

"Whether it was fear of a food shortage, lack of a grocery store, the short response times for law enforcement or whether people were just fearful they were going to be attacked, I don't know," said Derrick Morgan, national commander of the Black Gun Owners Association. Morgan said interest in his group grew so quickly that his website crashed from a surge in online traffic.

"A lot of people are reaching out to us, mainly new gun owners and people who wouldn't have considered owning a gun or firearm for their protection, have been lining up to purchase firearms and access information from our website."

Glad to see Mr. Smith's organization doing well.

On 6/22/2019 at 5:51 AM, Cacoethesic Tom said:

How To Legally Inherit Your Father's Revolver In NY

To fully appreciate how inappropriate these charges are, we decided to find out exactly what it takes to obtain a pistol permit in Oneida County—again, the only thing Stolarczyk allegedly failed to do properly here.

It turns out that, after a lengthy investigation, we’re still not certain we fully understand the process. Our best educated guess is something like the following:

First, anyone interested in owning a handgun must pick up the application in person, which can only be done at the Oneida County Office Building. But prepare to take time off work, because this building is only open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., and 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Alternatively, if you live on the opposite side of the county and want to avoid a 50-minute drive to Utica, you can try the Griffiss Business and Technology Park office, open on Thursdays between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m.

Once at the Office of Pistol Licensing, you’ll need to present a New York state driver’s license proving that you’re at least 21 years old and have lived in Oneida County for at least one year.

You also must provide a certificate of completion for an NRA Basic Pistol Course, which lasts approximately eight hours and must be led by a county-approved instructor.

After calling many of the recommended instructors, we learned that the introductory course can cost anywhere between $40 and $165 and that classes aren’t necessarily offered on a regular basis.

Further, had we not called these instructors and the licensing office itself for clarification, it would have been nearly impossible to determine which courses Oneida County does and does not accept to meet the requirement.

Finally, after paying a $10 processing fee to the county, you can receive the application form and begin the process of seeking the county’s permission to own a gun in your own home.

The application itself consists of five parts, which must be completed in black ink, and all signatures on the form must be notarized. Two identical head shot photographs no larger than 2 x 2 inches must be attached to the application.

Each application also requires four notarized character references from individuals 21 years of age or older, who are not related to the applicant, and who reside in Oneida County.

After completing the application, you will be responsible for paying several additional fees for processing and fingerprinting. These include $150 to the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office, $100 to the Utica Police Department, or $50 to the Rome Police Department, depending on the jurisdiction in which you reside.

All payments must be made through a postal money order, which requires a trip to the post office—and possibly additional research if, like many people, you have no idea what a postal money order is or where to get one.

There will then be a six-month waiting period for processing, after which you’ll be informed whether your application was accepted or denied. Denials can occur for a myriad of reasons, including seemingly arbitrary determinations by the application processor that you are not “of good moral character.”

An Onerous Burden

This is the complex and costly system that Stolarczyk—who couldn’t afford to keep his lights on—needed to navigate in order to legally own the revolver that may have saved his life.

No burden is too onerous when it comes to this particular right, which is why Mr. Stolarczyk is looking at up to 4 years in prison.

22 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:
1 hour ago, DustyDreamer said:

The NRA has never been a public service organization. It's the marketing arm of the arms industry. 

It has definitely evolved into a marketing arm, but it was involved in teaching firearm safety. If they focused only on that, and not in laundering money for candidates, I would call them charitable again, as long as they weren't using the money for non-charitable purposes. 

They're still involved in training, which is why, as the quoted post indicates, NRA-certified training is required for those who wish to own a pistol in New York.

NYC residents seem more interested in gun ownership this year for some reason

New York City rifle permit applications and pistol license requests have surged this year, according to New York Police Department (NYPD) data obtained by the Daily Caller News Foundation.

NYC residents submitted nearly 149% more handgun permits and nearly 340% more rifle/shotgun permits from Jan. 1 to June 28 compared to the same period in 2019, according to data provided to the DCNF by NYPD spokeswoman Sgt. Jessica McRorie.

A total of 2,338 people applied for handgun licenses from January to the end of June this year, compared to 1,571 last year in the same time frame, according to the NYPD data. Residents applied for 1,492 rifle permits in the six-month span in 2020 compared to 441 in 2019, the data show.

Handgun licenses were approved at a rate of 46% and rifle and shotgun licenses at a rate of 29% in the six month period in 2020, data show. Last year, 77% of handgun licenses were issued and 61% of long gun permits were approved in the same period, according to a data analysis performed by the DCNF.

The apparent decrease in approvals may not necessarily equal an uptick in denials, as residents can end up waiting up to 8-10 months to receive their permits. Thus, many of the currently unapproved applications may have yet to be either approved or denied.

A New York City rifle and shotgun permit application is 13-pages long and costs $231 to submit with all relevant materials. Applicants must show four color photographs of themselves, a utility bill or lease, a birth certificate and two character reference letters in addition to being fingerprinted.

At least, the ones with hundreds of dollars to spare do. 8-10 months makes Chicago's process seem speedy by comparison.

On 5/16/2019 at 7:34 AM, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Lots of goings-on in the NYC case

May 13 2019 Brief amicus curiae of National African American Gun Association, Inc. filed.

May 14 2019 Amicus brief of Black Guns Matter submitted.

18 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Policy position statement of the NGG Coalition. “Grab the negros gunz!”

They seem well-represented in the NYC and NY State governments, at least according to the amicus briefs linked above.

7 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

They (negroes or the NGG coalition) seem well-represented in the NYC and NY State governments, at least according to the amicus briefs linked above.

Race baiter alert. ^^^

The representations are poor, since they offer no insights beyond violence for the way forward.

NO DOGBALLS PLEASE. Tell us about the way forward, using this fine system of The People. Share with us your grave concerns about, and your fine hopes for, the racial situation of today. Take us beyond the fears and lessons of Judge Taney.

7 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:
  On 5/16/2019 at 4:34 AM, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Lots of goings-on in the NYC case (empty, meaningless, tone-deaf content, while introducing guns)

broken record, jeff.png

@Burning Man   I learn a lot from PA. I find a wealth of depth in the viewpoints of a dozen others. Sometimes I find blind, stubborn, insidious points of view hiding behind xyz. So here we go.

We are sorting democracy, and I object to Tom's exploitation of the development of racial relations. It is part of the fabric of PA...and I want to see how this plays out with the idiots.

I have watched for ten years, and five of those years have developed intense, personal race-baiting. In one chapter, five years contained the cooing of Chicago. Let's play some more, Jeffie.