• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guitar

Tug and Barge Sink Sailboat in SF Bay

Ok, I've read the initial reports of just a collision but no news on the situation or who was involved.

Anyone?

TBF boat?

Hope all is well. Bummer it went to the bottom.

Saw that Peter but was interested in the "on the water" report from some of the racers and hopefully, why.

Just plain bad juju to go in front on any tonnage in the bay, especially during the TBF.

Sorry to hear about the loss but good to hear no bodies to pluck from the cold water.

No idea who it was and or of it was one of the 3BF boats but the timing and the fact that there were 2 on board point towards it. We finished around 13:20 and it was blowing a solid 24+ with a good ebb on the city front.

If you want a good laugh, click on the linky above and read the comments at the bottom of the article. Glad to hear no one was hurt, but I'm curious about what happened.

If you want a good laugh, click on the linky above and read the comments at the bottom of the article. Glad to hear no one was hurt, but I'm curious about what happened.

Jeez, no kidding. Also kinda funny that the article originally said that ""sailboats would typically have right of way in this situation" an authority said". Then, suddenly, they took that part out. By "authorities" I assume they meant that guy at sfgate that sailed a boat once.

Honestly, how do you hit a barge/tug pusher combo? You've gotta be really not paying attention, or already in trouble beforehand. Maybe just a poor sailor and couldn't figure out how to get away? Or both down below "navigating".

2 years ago in the Santa Barbara to King Harbor Race a US Navy tug and tow were proceeding directly across the path of 100 on-coming racers in the vicinity of the strait between Santa Cruz and Anacapa Islands.

I don't know how many of the racers bothered monitoring the bridge-to-bridge traffic on the VHF but it was hilarious!

Frightening how so many can have such confidence in their absolute ignorance.

Frightening how so many can have such confidence in their absolute ignorance.

If you want to get a lot of confidence expressed about dead-ass wrong answers, ask people how many squares are in this picture!

how_many_squares.png

IMHO Tug and tow combos are MUCH more dangerous than large ships. They tend to go around the same speed as you, so you can interact with them multiple times. Get hit by a ship and you have good odds of sliding down the side of the ship. A barge - not so much. Also the lighting on barges is <cough> variable and it isn't like they'll climb on the barge to fix it mid tow.

+1

On the Great Lakes the freighters follow regular tracks; tug and barge not so much.

Then the tugs cut corners and go into small harbors freighters never use.

And if the barge has lights they are so dim as to be useless.

The barges on the ICW always scared me. Long, low, black, silent, and steered by someone 300 feet away who can't see the front and might not even be around the corner yet.

40. What do I win?

Missed one.

Errrr.... which one?

Please send me Teaky's manbag, or a reasonable facsimile thereof. Or a bottle of Mount Gay. You choose.

Still no news about the sunk sailboat?

Very strange that any details of this event have still not come out, two days later. How can that be? No witnesses? No ID on the boat or crew? Doesn't make sense.

The barges on the ICW always scared me. Long, low, black, silent, and steered by someone 300 feet away who can't see the front and might not even be around the corner yet.

What scares the ICW barge skippers are the weekend guys who like to tow skiiers on the GIWW (to my surprise this is legal), then proceed to have their idiot skiiers suddenly fall and become idiot swimmers right in front of two petroleum tows who are about to meet and pass each other, who now have to back hard, lose steering control, and collide head-on in order to miss the swimmers. Who are then picked back up and boogie on off...

happened not long ago, near Houma. didn't make the news, but sure would have if they'd run over swimmers or boat. Or sideswiped each other, split the double hulls and spill oil.

Crap... 40.

I was stuck on 36 for a minute. Forgot the squares of 4 on the edges 1 accross, 2 down, to 2 across 3 down as corners. (that probably makes no sense, lol)

Also in the comments... Saiboat crashing into everthing with its sheets up.

I'm going with 40 as well. I think you're counting something twice to get 41. Check out the link with the .gif and tell us which one we missed though if we did.

Ya'all are going to have to show the rest of us the 41st square...

It's always 42

Winnah! And there you have it.

It's so nice for some to just take over one of these threads. Is this not about a boat sinking, and not how many squares there are... You could start your own instead of taking over.

It's so nice for some to just take over one of these threads. Is this not about a boat sinking, and not how many squares there are... You could start your own instead of taking over.

If you have any info about the actual sinking feel free to contribute. Otherwise I don't see what anyone is hurting. There seems to be a significant lack of information about the sinking, so what are we hurting?

Ya'all are going to have to show the rest of us the 41st square...

It's always 42

Winnah! And there you have it.

I got 43. What do I win?

Fifty degree water, a tide whose flow speed exceeds the upwind performance of most sailboats, and rapidly moving commercial vessels.

Yet people still think it is a wonderful idea to hold sailing games there.

never understood the lure.

True, true, and true.

However, it remains one of the coolest sailing venues anywhere. It is fun, scenic, historic, challenging and fun. A little too cold but, meh, at least you can sail there in January, unlike a lot of the northern eastern seaboard.

Fifty degree water, a tide whose flow speed exceeds the upwind performance of most sailboats, and rapidly moving commercial vessels.

Ohh if you don't get it you never will....funny thing about sailing here the winter sailing is usually warmer than the summer!!

If you have any info about the actual sinking feel free to contribute. Otherwise I don't see what anyone is hurting. There seems to be a significant lack of information about the sinking, so what are we hurting?

the SF chronicle, and everybody is tight lipped on this. Nobody is saying what happened that's in the know.

well played troll sir, well played indeed

jack...lighten up man, nobody knows what happened and no one is "in the know" at the moment

Um St Fancy-Pants ain't where its at when it comes to good sailing on The Bay... as the adage goes: The Bay doesn't blow... the Valley Sucks!...... the best racing is in the Bezerkley circle (so named because on the paper charts they dropped the Compass Rose right in the middle there. Its far enough in the middle that you don't have the "short tacking" silliness, but you do have current effects and windshifts - and geographically it is where the wind howls. So you have consistent strong wind, with tidal challenges to work out along with wind variations. Pretty much what sailing is about. Compared to the stuff that is called "water" in TX yeah its very nice venue. And the coldness of the water is only an issue if you can't keep your boat upright in 15+....Agreed that the short-tacking silliness can be had on any river. Frankly if you want big-boat fun, jump over the hill to Santa Cruz. But the Bezerkly Circle is very different.

1 square

who can guess how many it holds ??

If I lived there, you can bet your ass I would sail and sail and sail there. But. having traveled to sail there a few times, and having sailed in a whole lot of other places, i just cannot see deliberatly scheduling anything other than a novely event to be sailed in front of St Francis.

Some love it. I consider short tacking up a shore while hiding from the curent to be a silly novelty experience unworthy of repetition.

You can do the same thing on the Hudson River at Marist College in Tech Dinghies...fun one time then silly.

The San Francisco bay is a lot like Lake Travis where I currently an stuck sailing. Lousy sailing conditions contested by all sorts of great people who know it is the best we have available.

But... As we would NEVER schedule a world championship in anything here, The Bay in front of St Franciis is also no place for any real contest.

others may disagree.

Attendance at events held there speaks for itself.

Those who will attend no matter where it is held show up and those who live nearby show up. Everybody else has better things to do.

There was a 22 boat Laser nationals there in a year when over 100 sailed in each of the Midwinters East, North Americans, CORK Masters Nationals, and masters North Americans..

the lodging and food are absurdly expensive. The sailing conditions are horrendous.

For travelers it is a horrible return on investment.

But If I lived there...I would sail and sail and sail...because it would be the only place within walking distance.

If teh locals want to schedule fun events like teh Laser Slalom or a big boat series..GREAT!!! Just don't try to host any real events.

History suggests otherwise as do the number of major sailing Nationals and Worlds we host here in SF. We get it your a pussy and didn't like the cold - windy and challenging sailing we have in SF. But that doesn't make you an expert in how to host or where to run major sailing events does it?

If I lived there, you can bet your ass I would sail and sail and sail there. But. having traveled to sail there a few times, and having sailed in a whole lot of other places, i just cannot see deliberatly scheduling anything other than a novely event to be sailed in front of St Francis.

Some love it. I consider short tacking up a shore while hiding from the curent to be a silly novelty experience unworthy of repetition.

You can do the same thing on the Hudson River at Marist College in Tech Dinghies...fun one time then silly.

The San Francisco bay is a lot like Lake Travis where I currently an stuck sailing. Lousy sailing conditions contested by all sorts of great people who know it is the best we have available.

But... As we would NEVER schedule a world championship in anything here, The Bay in front of St Franciis is also no place for any real contest.

others may disagree.

Those who will attend no matter where it is held show up and those who live nearby show up. Everybody else has better things to do.

There was a 22 boat Laser nationals there in a year when over 100 sailed in each of the Midwinters East, North Americans, CORK Masters Nationals, and masters North Americans..

the lodging and food are absurdly expensive. The sailing conditions are horrendous.

But If I lived there...I would sail and sail and sail...because it would be the only place within walking distance.

If teh locals want to schedule fun events like teh Laser Slalom or a big boat series..GREAT!!! Just don't try to host any real events.

Geeze, Guv, you sound like a big sissy. SF Bay and the surrounding ocean are great places to sail. Plenty of variety in challenges and temperature. Sounds kind of like you are saying you would not ride a bicycle in the mountains because it's hilly, the roads are twisty and cars are out there, too. You'd rather just cycle in circles in your driveway.

As for attendance, we had over 300 boats in the 3BF just last Saturday.

The San Francisco bay is a lot like Lake Travis where I currently an stuck sailing.

I believe the water in SF Bay is quite a bit deeper and there is also a large, adjacent ocean.

An elevated sailboat racing observation platform spans the stretch of water between the bay and the ocean. It is painted red to make it easier to spot on low visibility days.

others may disagree.

Geeze, Guv, you sound like a big sissy. SF Bay and the surrounding ocean are great places to sail. Plenty of variety in challenges and temperature. Sounds kind of like you are saying you would not ride a bicycle in the mountains because it's hilly, the roads are twisty and cars are out there, too. You'd rather just cycle in circles in your driveway.

As for attendance, we had over 300 boats in the 3BF just last Saturday.

That wasn't even the only event if I recall which means multiple events took place and one had 300+ boats attend.

Children Children Children

let Gouve have his say, poor dude is happy to stay in TX while watching the yard grow into the lake (from all sides)

Oh we in Kalifornia have some room but Not enough for Everyone

It's Not worth coming here the places w/o Too much COLD & Wind have Kelp & No Wind and Fake Tits galore

Why do we even stay (work with me guys or they'll all move out here ;)B) )

let Gouve have his say, poor dude is happy to stay in TX while watching the yard grow into the lake (from all sides)

It's Not worth coming here the places w/o Too much COLD & Wind have Kelp & No Wind and Fake Tits galore

All the fake tits are covered up its been cold here its not all bikini's and surfers you know.

Because you rely on the nanny state. People of hardier stock flock to Florida which outclasses Califorina in every regard but mountains which we can visit in Colorado or Utah if need be.

Because you rely on the nanny state. People of hardier stock flock to Florida which outclasses Califorina in every regard but mountains which we can visit in Colorado or Utah if need be.

Florida???

Gag.

Saw the damn thing off and let it float to Cuba...

Gouv, you really need to get a life.

"I consider short tacking up a shore while hiding from the current to be a silly novelty experience unworthy of repetition."

Well, you can forget racing off the RYS line in the Solent and beating West against the tide. Good thing nobody else thinks it's fun either. Unlike the thousands and thousands of people who race Cowes Week, the Fastnet, the Round the Island race and pretty well every major British sailing event since 1815.

Just keep to your short windward-leewards on a flat tideless windless drying-up lake. Have fun.

"I consider short tacking up a shore while hiding from the current to be a silly novelty experience unworthy of repetition."

Well, you can forget racing off the RYS line in the Solent and beating West against the tide. Good thing nobody else thinks it's fun either. Unlike the thousands and thousands of people who race Cowes Week, the Fastnet, the Round the Island race and pretty well every major British sailing event since 1815.

Just keep to your short windward-leewards on a flat tideless windless drying-up lake. Have fun.

LOL.

....or try snapping up the blo-kart dealership :rolleyes:

..............NTTAWWT

Just saw THIS on the "other" site. Summary: 26 ft sailboat, sailed between tug and barge. Man and and woman on board were knocked off boat by the impact, boat sank quickly. They were wearing PFDs and treading water when rescued by USCG. Names will not be released until investigation is complete.

Completely understandable why Gouv doesn't want to sail in San Francisco , I moved out of the Bay area because of all the earthquakes. And the fog. Yep, earthquakes and fog. Practically uninhabitable.

I'm pretty sure that Arthur Brusco is home-ported in the S.F. area. I used to see it all the time on and around the bay.

The link I gave above also gets you to an AIS track of Arthur Brusco (a few posts down). There's not much to see there, but it shows where they turned around and headed back into the Bay. The tug hailed the USCG on VHF, and the rescue was pretty quick.

"The sailboat was approximately 26' long."

It's premature to speculate, of course, and the odds are probably not that this is the case, but wonder if it might have been a MacGregor trying for "fifth mode"....

I'm pretty sure that Arthur Brusco is home-ported in the S.F. area.

I think so too, but they range to wherever they get work. The Arthur Brusco and two other * Bruscos were in NB for a year moving barges around and back and forth between Newport and LA Harbor during NB dredging.

I'm pretty sure that Arthur Brusco is home-ported in the S.F. area.

I think so too, but they range to wherever they get work. The Arthur Brusco and two other * Bruscos were in NB for a year moving barges around and back and forth between Newport and LA Harbor during NB dredging.

Oh, no question about it. I recall seeing then heading to and from Seattle many times (tracking them via AIS).

I had fun short-tacking up the cityfront in IODs once ("77 Worlds as part a Marblehead crew). I agree with the novelty part, not with the silly nor unworthy of repetition part.

But with a flood tide, it was strange to a Marblehead sailor--if you're not close enough to shore, you get adverse current and screwed; too close to shore and you're in dead water and screwed; but between those two was a "river" of countercurrent that made a wide bay into a narrow dragstrip with lots of tacking and yelling over 'searoom', 'you tack', 'hold your course', and my personal favorite, "protest!" We were glad for a couple of local-knowledge SFers along with our Mhead crew of 3. I was/am the nobody, Juddy Smith and skipper Bill Widnall the "names".

We won by a fraction of a point, in the dining room at the end when a protest hearing between others knocked one boat off the podium. In one race we withdrew post-race after fouling someone on the 'river' beat early (this was before circles and we crossed the line first so it hurt) but the difference between the WD and a DSQ score made the difference, though we had no idea at the time.

It was exciting. you can tell, since I remember so much of it, my only time sailing out there.

So Gouv is 'wrong', but being right is overrated..

I had fun short-tacking up the cityfront in IODs once ("77 Worlds as part a Marblehead crew). a narrow dragstrip with lots of tacking and yelling over 'searoom', 'you tack', 'hold your course', and my personal favorite, "protest!"

My wife & I were visiting San Francisco a number of years ago. Decided to take advantage of the club reciprocity and had Sunday brunch at SFYC. Fortunately we were seated at a table right next to the windows overlooking the bay. Windows were open. Whatever race was being run, the boats were tacking up close to the SFYC seawall. Lots of "colorful" language and suggestions for certain impossible physical behaviors.

A few nights later we had dinner there. We were handed the menu & I was given a nicely bound wine list. Rather thick. Then the waiter handed me a 2nd wine list. When I mentioned that I had one his response was: "sir this one is from vineyards owned by SFYC members>"

Got back home, told my commodore that we should do that. It is a rather small list. Ripple, Thunderbird and 2 buck chuck!!

I had fun short-tacking up the cityfront in IODs once ("77 Worlds as part a Marblehead crew). a narrow dragstrip with lots of tacking and yelling over 'searoom', 'you tack', 'hold your course', and my personal favorite, "protest!"

My wife & I were visiting San Francisco a number of years ago. Decided to take advantage of the club reciprocity and had Sunday brunch at SFYC. Fortunately we were seated at a table right next to the windows overlooking the bay. Windows were open. Whatever race was being run, the boats were tacking up close to the SFYC seawall. Lots of "colorful" language and suggestions for certain impossible physical behaviors.

A few nights later we had dinner there. We were handed the menu & I was given a nicely bound wine list. Rather thick. Then the waiter handed me a 2nd wine list. When I mentioned that I had one his response was: "sir this one is from vineyards owned by SFYC members>"

Got back home, told my commodore that we should do that. It is a rather small list. Ripple, Thunderbird and 2 buck chuck!!

http://www.bumwine.com/

Fortunately, there is a lot more to the area than the StFYC. I'm surprised they honored reciprocal privileges, I thought they only honored NYYC and that royal one in Blighty.

Damn. I got here late. Gouv really hit a nerve. I sure hope it's a double feature.

sailing on the Bayfront is a one dimentional game.

Wow. Could not disagree more.

Sailing in the Bay, in general, has something for everyone. The Bayfront, in specific, has more different personalities than Sybil. between wind, current, tide-state and other variables, it's a constant chess-game to see if you can find lift, favorable current and puff in beneficial combinations. The tactics involve not just positioning, but "leveraging" your opponents into unfavorable combinations while they're trying to do the same to you. Knowing that what worked yesterday will almost certainly be different today. Plus for any course of reasonable size, there are always things like the alcatraz "current shadow" to take into account.

One of the most fascinating/interesting/challenging/infuriating places I've ever raced. Love that bay.

What a bunch of fairies.

Oh great, now Gouv's looking for a date...

Good luck with that

Even fairies have standards

Fortunately, there is a lot more to the area than the StFYC. I'm surprised they honored reciprocal privileges, I thought they only honored NYYC and that royal one in Blighty.

When we were there, granted it was more than a few years ago, they just pulled out that reciprocity book, discovered our home club was there, and let us in. Must say though, that when we were in San Diego they were so used to out of area visitors they just had us sign in and hand us a piece of paper with club hours, dress code, payment arrangements, etc.

Small thing to people visiting...the StFYC is on the city front. The SFYC (and they're NOT to be confused) is across the bay in the poverty stricken burg of Tiburon...gateway to Sam's.

Unless you belong to the SFYC, the only clubs that the Frantic recognizes for reciprocal privileges must be further than 300 nm distant. That said, if you come in the gate from some distant place, they'll usually let you tie up and use their showers if you're polite.

BTW, IMHO, the Waikiki YC has set the bar really high in terms of accommodating visitors from distant shores. The staff and members are absolutely fantastic.