Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ghostrider50

Team Australia Sydney to Hobart attempt

They were out on Sydney Harbour last night with a new mainsail (and maybe a headsail).

She looked good. They were looking at the main with various reefs in.

Sailworld describes them as "the fastest sailing boat in the southern hemisphere" .Wonder what the Vodafone boys have to say about that?

Either way I hope they smash the motor sailer record.

Sailworld describes them as "the fastest sailing boat in the southern hemisphere" .Wonder what the Vodafone boys have to say about that?

if it was smooth

you'd think etnz would crush them

if it was heavy you'd think the well tested voda would beat them

they must be aiming for some little window between

that's if there is one...

Ha ha forgot about that other Kiwi monster.

Guess they are waiting for that low to move down the coast.Been sitting over us for the last week.Full of rain but not much wind.

Best of luck to the team.

Is this the Raw Nerve record that they will be breaking?

Pardon my ignorance also the mono of course.

Chasing the Mari Cha record.

How did RN go?

Langmans boat is meant to be nearly 2 ton lighter than Vodafone and watching them race each other at Hamilton Island it looked like it as well. Langman was miles faster......

Langmans boat is meant to be nearly 2 ton lighter than Vodafone and watching them race each other at Hamilton Island it looked like it as well. Langman was miles faster......

Easy up bloke,having a go at reporting not the boat.

TA is 800kg lighter than TVS according to OMR .

Of the 6 times they lined up together, it was 4-2 in favour of Vodafone....

After 5 races at Hammo on elapsed time it was 4-1 to TA.One race was 20 sec one was 20 min.the rest were about 5min each way over 3 hrs.

Unfortunatly TA hit the bricks to give TVS a convincing win overall for the series.Handicap is a very differant story.

She hit the bricks right in front of us. Sad pic, hidden in my vault.post-10329-0-09593200-1361276823_thumb.jpg

Less weighT and crew on TA aT Hammo and she was fasTer on ET. TA and TV are The fasTesT sail boaTs downunder no arguemenT. Good luck and fair winds Team Aus. We have our fingers crossed for you. Wish I was onboard in realiTy, noT jusT in SSSpiriT.

Chasing the Mari Cha record.

How did RN go?

I think Raw Nerve missed the record in 2005 but 'might' be the fasted recorded multi?

You would expect langmen and co to be vastly faster than RN. Good luck to Team Australia

Crewmember Larry Jamieson, embarking on his 30th crossing of the Bass Strait, said, 'By Saturday night we'll either be propping up the bar and celebrating in Customs House - again - or hanging off an upturned boat waiting for a tow!'

Lets hope it's the first option! Be a wet ride I'd reckon!

Good luck.

The weather seems to be developing as they want it.

Will B interesting to C how many camera choppers get out and film a boat putting on a greater show that WOXI

:(

The front they want arrived at 3 am Not sure if they will have been ready for that but hope they go soon

Team Australia used to Banque Populaire IV and Team Vodaphone was Geant. Back in the ORMA days BP was probably the faster of the 2 based on my recollection of race results. Having said that with these relatively neophyte crews it'll come down to the jockeys not the horses.

Strong wind and gale warnings all down the NSW coast for today and early tomorrow (at least)

Thanks.

The Admiral should be able to see them lining up to start from the balcony soon.

Very close to the start now.

At least two reefs in the main.

This morning it was announced that the record they are chasing is WOXI's time from last Hobart. That is the new WSSRC record

This morning it was announced that the record they are chasing is WOXI's time from last Hobart. That is the new WSSRC record

But TA doesn't appear to be taking off from the S-H start line area - how is that taken into account for record timing?

Good luck to them. Just as the Vendee Globe is coming to a close, now I have something else to waste time on - yay!

With fixes every 15 mins it's a bit hard to work out exactly where they went within the harbour and exactly when they started - but distance made 11-11.15 and current speed at 11.15 have her well off the pace

Not sure how that is taken into account.

Apparently there are two records S-H Race and the "passage" record. This is an attempt on the passage time ( I guess obviously !!) Maybe there is a calcualtion of where the turning bouy is for the S-H Race and they looked at how long it took WOXI to get there.

Given that there is the possibility of Team Australia lowering the time by a long way it won't matter going forward.

Picking up serious speed now (at 11.30am). 18 knots plus.

i think the SH record is just that, ie restricted to boats eligible for the SH and set in the course of an SH race and currently held by (motor assisted) sailer WOXI, whilst the passage record is for the same course but open to all comers- eg Mari- Cha as current holder and TA as current challenger

You are right but Recidivist's point is a good one about where is the start.

Now doing 23 knots and hugging the coast.

Was 15 now 18 and heading more offshore for the straigh line, pulling out the reef?

After 5 races at Hammo on elapsed time it was 4-1 to TA.One race was 20 sec one was 20 min.the rest were about 5min each way over 3 hrs.

Unfortunatly TA hit the bricks to give TVS a convincing win overall for the series.Handicap is a very differant story.

Cheers for clearing that up.

Why doesn't Hammo report Line in their results?

The winds are not developing strength as per forecasts and there is lighter stuff yet to the south of Wollongong, does not look promising right now.

The winds are not developing strength as per forecasts and there is lighter stuff yet to the south of Wollongong, does not look promising right now.

That raises an interesting question - how far do you go down the track?

If they keep going they may yet break the record. But if they stop now, go back and re-start tonight/tomorrow in better breeze they may smash the record. Tactically it must be a hard call.

If you took the time between YA Chowder Bay mark & Steel Point , that would average out to the various 1 line / 2 line S2H Starts over time.

Except TA went in under north head and waited for a while.

I guess that if TA beats the passage record from its start line by a fair amount then the new passage course is established.

They have really got a touch of the slows at the moment

i think the SH record is just that, ie restricted to boats eligible for the SH and set in the course of an SH race and currently held by (motor assisted) sailer WOXI, whilst the passage record is for the same course but open to all comers- eg Mari- Cha as current holder and TA as current challenger

From my google search WOIX beat Mari Cha by about 14 minutes last year. BTW did Mari Cha only run the course (not official entrant?) as I always get Nokia as winning that year (99) when the MC record is said to have been made... Confused?

BTW if you want to give it another go in a mono ... MCiii is for sale.

http://www.jamesedition.fr/yachts/sensation-yachts/other/mari-cha-iii-for-sale-326476

Reckon you could buy a few ORMAS for that kinda cash :0 .. looks comfy though

Well over 20 knots for the last three tracker reports.

Just a feeling but seems like about where you would expect WOXI this far (time wise) into the S2H when it is on record pace.

Not that there is any science in it but if you take the instant speed reported at each of the 19 tracker reports and average it you get an average of 15.6 knots. Seems like they are going down the rhumb line as well.

By my reckoning they are 85 miles down the track in 5.5 hours which is an average of 15.6 knots. Just inside record pace.

30 hours is 21 knots, if they want to hit their target they'll have to put the pedal to the metal.

From my google search WOIX beat Mari Cha by about 14 minutes last year. BTW did Mari Cha only run the course (not official entrant?) as I always get Nokia as winning that year (99) when the MC record is said to have been made... Confused?

BTW if you want to give it another go in a mono ... MCiii is for sale.

http://www.jamesedition.fr/yachts/sensation-yachts/other/mari-cha-iii-for-sale-326476

Reckon you could buy a few ORMAS for that kinda cash :0 .. looks comfy though

At 149 feet or whatever Mari cha III was, she was too long to enter officially. Nokia VO60 was next home from memory ( water ballasted ). I think brindabella was first non water ballasted yacht home that year.

WOXI delivery crew have sailed Hobart to Sydney faster than the race crew went down... If WOXI went with their choice of weather they could go under 24hrs also.

Good luck to the TA Tri would be a fun ride regardless of records.

nearly

the WSSRC record is not all comers, otherwise WOxi would hold it, she beat Mari Cha IIIs time this last Hobart.

then again WSSRC has another 'list' the 21{c} list recording motor assisted times,

but at the moment circa 2013 WSSRC main list is for vessels without powered sail setting systems

http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/the-courses-offshore.html

But TA doesn't appear to be taking off from the S-H start line area - how is that taken into account for record timing?

WSSRC

" s. Sydney to Hobart. 630NM

Start: line drawn between North Head light: 33° 49.5' S; 151° 17.9' E and South Head light: 33° 50.0' S; 151° 16.8' E

Finish: line drawn 50° true from hut ashore at: 42° 53.2' S; 147° 20.4' E for 300 meters "

nearly

the WSSRC record is not all comers, otherwise WOxi would hold it, she beat Mari Cha IIIs time this last Hobart.

then again WSSRC has another 'list' the 21{c} list recording motor assisted times,

but at the moment circa 2013 WSSRC main list is for vessels without powered sail setting systems

http://www.sailspeed...s-offshore.html

I may be misunderstanding your post but WOXI does have the WSSRC record (as of yesterday)

Sydney – Hobart 630 Dec-12 Wild Oats XI S 100 30.48 Robert Oatley AUS 1d 18h 23m 12s 14.83

http://www.sailspeed...ge-records.html

If WO has powered sail systems the listing is incorrect and you may see it corrected.

Otherwise TA may simply overwrite it ?

Inside 24!! how good would that be! Probably not but the record will be smashed barring accidents. All they need is good wind speed and direction around the bottom and up to battery Pt and its looking ideal at present. Good luck Team Australia. I need some sleep.

Thanks Gybeset and SCANAS for the clarification on the record stuff.

Are they streaming video anywhere? Seems like they missed a great opportunity to geek up and have a very cool web movie also would have gotten alot more media attention... plus none of us would have gotten any sleep as we would be glued to the screens :)

BTW as the course seems to be only north to south unfortunately the fast return trips would not qualify. What will be interesting is if WOIX decides *assuming TA breaks the record, they will themselves have another crack at it on a day of their choosing. This would be kinda cool as it will eventually see both boats wanting to compete head to head IMHO.

They look to be about 120nm from Tasman, maybe a bit less if the tracker is delayed. Lets say 150 to the finish. They started at 11am Friday, 480nm in 21 hrs = ~23knots. Projecting this over the remaining 150 miles gets them there in 6.5hrs - 27.5hrs total - of course assuming they can maintain their speed.

Oats was 42:23 hrs, so they have some buffer.

Frankly, the weather looks awesome for them.

8am

post-17564-0-08140400-1361567013_thumb.png

11am

post-17564-0-81735700-1361567021_thumb.png

2pmpost-17564-0-81015200-1361567035_thumb.png

Storm Bay: North to northeasterly 10 to 20 knots becoming northeasterly 15 to 25 knots around midday then increasing to 20 to 30 knots during the afternoon.

River: North to northeasterly 5 to 15 knots increasing to 10 to 20 knots during the morning then to 15 to 25 knots during the afternoon.

They have had a great weather window - well picked by Clouds it seems.

My money is on 32hrs - 1day 8hrs.

OMG temperature 16, can't remember what sailing in that feels like. Memo to self: Nominate for Airlie Beach Race Week today.

Be rounding Tasman Light by lunchtime. Dinner and drinks at the Shippies.

May the mast keep pointing up and pedal stay down, they are smoking, great work Sean and TA!

10 am on 23 feb

TA 150 miles from the finish

Weather looks good for a faster finish that the start

I imagine the time 2 go was picked for the crossing and finish rather that weather at the start

SA has pictures of a wet looking Saun, probably old pics

http://www.sail-worl...el-south/106834

Saun picked a good weekend to leave Sydney, its pissing down and gusting here

Does anybody know if he was able to get a few new head sails before the attempt (SA mentions main). Or are TA using the old sails

Looks like they havn't tacked for 24 hrs

~150 miles to go, and they're doing 21 knots. 6-7 hours?

Near enough to Hobart Latitude in 24 hours, thats impressive, and they have gybed and are on the road to Hobart @ over 20kts! Wind should freshen a bit as the day progresses. What a ride! Hope we get some good Pics and video from the air. A quiet little drink and dinner this evening Team Australia. May I suggest, "Larso's" all round. Thats a tripple tipple, Rum's and coke. Cheers!!!

SA has pictures of a wet looking Saun, probably old pics

Reckon they are pics from this trip. They are on the right board, fully geared up, harnesses + crotch straps, hanging on. Looks like they have a big inmarsat dome on the back so they could upload photos.

They need the wind to just go a tiny bit left to make it a perfect layline call to Tasman.

Looking at their track they really opened it up last night across Bass Straight - the tracker dots really space out. One spot has an average of 32 knots over 30 minutes (16' of South in 30 minutes). 1am in the morning. Not quite BP5, but still damn awesome!

EDIT: And blowing 25 gusting to 35 from the NNE at (the top of) Tasman Island.

The boys are almost in Storm Bay. They are tired, wet & ready to finalise the new sub 30hr record!

Will post up some shots as they cross the line

If anyone is in Hobart & interest to see them arrive, they should be alongside the South side of Elizabeth St Pier by (5.30pm - ish). Scallop pies & beers all round!!

3.30pm and TA is entering Storm Bay, hopefully it should be a bit more protected, the sea state not so rough, give the fellas an easier run in

The rig should be canted, right, starting to work into the wind, 20-25 knts.... should be an amazing sight two hulls out of the water flying up the Derwent 20+ knots

Somebody get in on film...... please

at 4:33 pm they are lessthan 2 nm from the finish..Sub 30 hr run...NUTS!...imagine their 2nd crack at the course !!

well done TA

Staying at the Pier tonight, what a pity.

Can see the finish corner from the balcony too.

Not that fresh in Hobart right now maybe 15 from the NW out in the river

Pity they will have to share with the Sea Sheppard tri on the south side of the pier

new top speed for this run 39.6 kts for TA, they are coming home HOT!! should be under 30 hours for the 630 nautical mile passage.

Noticed the distance travelled every 15 mins is the similar for the last 6 hrs

Finish a while ago just mooring up now.

down loading pics now

Congratulations to Sean and his team, job well done.

It will be interesting to hear his views now that he has set this record.

An excerpt from an interview from here:

http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-magazine/2013/february-2013/will_push-button_boats_destroy_the_Sydney-Hobart_yacht_race#.UShmrR3I2D4

"And that for me is what its all about. Its not going from A to B in the quickest possible time. Its about those priceless shared experiences. The great thing for me is that my kids wanted to join me on Maluka.

They werent pushed into it and they certainly werent paid. They went for the kind of experience, the kind of challenge that was once at the heart of the Hobart Race.

Dont get me wrong, obviously an awesome effort to get to Hobart, but it is not sort a pointless thing to do?

The monohulls would also get there quicker than the race record if they could chose their starting time to coinside with a weather window.

The thing that makes the trip hard is the southerlys and wind against current and the reason you get this is because the race starts at 1pm on Boxing Day and this usually does not allow the boats to get all the way before they meet a southerly.

To me, this seems more like a delivery trip, where you wait for the ideal weather and just send it.

Dont get me wrong, obviously an awesome effort to get to Hobart, but it is not sort a pointless thing to do?

The monohulls would also get there quicker than the race record if they could chose their starting time to coinside with a weather window.

The thing that makes the trip hard is the southerlys and wind against current and the reason you get this is because the race starts at 1pm on Boxing Day and this usually does not allow the boats to get all the way before they meet a southerly.

To me, this seems more like a delivery trip, where you wait for the ideal weather and just send it.

I am sure they will be happy to do it with the monos on Boxing Day.

+1 Hilly and +1000 for Sean on doing it for the right reasons.... be it in a classic boat like Maluka on boxing day or in a equally impressive boat like TA, today. I kinda follow your point BFP but if you read the article maybe you would also see that he sails because its fun... and aren't we all supposed to do that? I actually think Sean would have a very tough decision to make if multis were allowed to sail in the SH proper on boxing day as I think he enjoys sailing both boats and the tin is not the sole motivator.

The record for the course is just that and its open to WOIX to better on a day of their choice if they so decide... but the bar has been set pretty high. I wish them luck. The issue of stored power is however a thorny one and from how I read the rules they can use it to cant their keel or adjust foils but not the sails so hydraulic winches that are not manually driven would be a no-no for the speed record.

Big thumbs up to the crew of TA... enjoy the beer and the hot shower.. you've earned both.

great effort. congrats to TA.

trebles all round. love to be in hobart and get amongst it.

not a meaningless record. showing australian yacht racing the way to the future.

video/photos/links please!

Any main media picking this up?... want to see video sooooo bad!

cool

Pictures on ABC news starting at 7 EST

Two thumbs up. Fantastic effort - and I imagine a sail to remember!