Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

what is it?

well, yeah but that's not news. i've owned and raced an iom before....

Yep looks like a DM2 and by the back ground it is in Tauranga

hmm, downsizing is all in these tough economic days.

If an IOM does make the sailor happy, I doubt.

I have a new one for sale. 2 rigs. Latest Scharmer Design.

Please send your offer.

Smooth sailing

International One Design or maybe the new OD52 class for RC Boats.

McConaghy .38 ?

A naughty-cool version of a fatchick. Fun, until your mates spot you!

Edit: or your batteries run out :)

why can they not put a sprit on these things, they would look so much better, surely the tech for RC can handle that! comment..

why can they not put a sprit on these things, they would look so much better, surely the tech for RC can handle that! comment..

I assume you want a sprit for an A sail The R/C servos, etc can easily handle spinnakers. The problem is only raising and lowering them in a timely manner can be problematic.

We typically sail windward/leewards and generally sailing wing on wing is as fast or faster than dicking with the weight/complexity of having a kite and/or trying to gybe downwind.

MS

I assume you want a sprit for an A sail The R/C servos, etc can easily handle spinnakers. The problem is only raising and lowering them in a timely manner can be problematic.

We typically sail windward/leewards and generally sailing wing on wing is as fast or faster than dicking with the weight/complexity of having a kite and/or trying to gybe downwind.

MS

Not to mention the extra weight/complexity slows the boat down when it matters the most, on the first upwind leg. How about a bowsprit with no purpose...like these things?

post-2619-0-26397900-1361387210_thumb.jpg

Not to mention the extra weight/complexity slows the boat down when it matters the most, on the first upwind leg. How about a bowsprit with no purpose...like these things?

That whole HBRC cock-up just pisses me off. What an overpriced pig. A Northwind, fer crysakes, sails circles around one at 1/4 the price. It's as if they purposely didn't look at one single successful RC design. Like they got some tooling for free and are trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

3-spreader rig? WTF?

That whole HBRC cock-up just pisses me off. What an overpriced pig. A Northwind, fer crysakes, sails circles around one at 1/4 the price. It's as if they purposely didn't look at one single successful RC design. Like they got some tooling for free and are trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

3-spreader rig? WTF?

I haven't seen one in person, so I can't comment on how it sails. Seems like it's all about scale "looks" over sailing abitlity to me.

Because the sprit may punch a hole in the other guy's boat. glug..glug..ouch!

John

Excuse me while I shamelessly drop this here... not a IOM, but a 2m fully autonomous SailBot out of UBC that needs no rc other than a gps coordinate:

a4rfhy.jpg

I recall that Steve Killing's son was part of the Queen's U team on the autonomous sailboat community. That was a few years ago now, maybe five?

Now imagine that. Right now (well not in February, but you know what I mean) there's a bunch of guys who sit at NSC on the deck, feet up on the rail, beer in one hand and transmitter in the other. Soon they'll be able to sit with a beer in each hand. Progress.

MS

Micro furler?

3-spreader rig? WTF?

Dam. Some people having fun building boats.. WTF do you care? Can't afford one? Just something different and they actually sail fairly well. Fun when we race them against each other. Not trying to dominate the RC world (which is dorky anyways) just having a good time with people racing on lakes around here.

What does one care if another boat sails circles around it? In one design it does not matter right? So a Cal 20 sucks because a Melges 24 can sail circles around it?

Thanks for your comments though.. try and have a better day and don't be so angry!

^They are pretty shitty looking if you ask me...

Thanks for the comment Buster! Next time your up here I have one for you to borrow and try out so you can make a more experienced review. Good or bad it will be better than people reviewing something with NO experience or ever having seen one in person.

Its like when people review a product online before it even comes out.

I knew it would come to this.

So a Cal 20 sucks because a Melges 24 can sail circles around it?

It does if you pay Melges 32 prices for the Cal 20.

You are asking people to pay $Texas to get into a newbie class with a funky design.

Cal 20: $3,000 race-ready.

Melges 24: $30,000 race-ready.

Bitchin' used IOM: $600 -- already a developed class.

post-34825-0-15312500-1361565434_thumb.png

Look, if you want to be a successful pimp, ya gotta start with betta lookin' ho's.

I knew it would come to this.

So a Cal 20 sucks because a Melges 24 can sail circles around it?

It does if you pay Melges 32 prices for the Cal 20.

You are asking people to pay $Texas to get into a newbie class with a funky design.

Cal 20: $3,000 race-ready.

Melges 24: $30,000 race-ready.

Bitchin' used IOM: $600 -- already a developed class.

post-34825-0-15312500-1361565434_thumb.png

Look, if you want to be a successful pimp, ya gotta start with betta lookin' ho's.

No IOM for $600 will be competitive. Plus you have to race against a bunch of guys who treat it like pro level sailing. We just like to have a good time.

No one told anyone to buy one. Like I said just having fun in the model boat world and a bunch of people wanted to buy them.. so we sold them. Offers open to you to. Come sail one and then trash it if you don't like it.

Oh and I forgot to post a picture since that seems to be where we are headed..

'Its always easier to talk shit behind a keyboard'

Internet+Tough+Guy+www.motivationalpostersonline.blogspot.com+demotivational+posters+motivational+poster+funny.jpg

Man selling Anarchy has brought you guys down... way down... you first dream of an HPV (not a disease, but a pedal car to beat students with) and now this... having to compete with folks who sail using a radio and tiny sticks? When does the humilty end for you guys?

'Its always easier to talk shit behind a keyboard'

Internet+Tough+Guy+www.motivationalpostersonline.blogspot.com+demotivational+posters+motivational+poster+funny.jpg

Why would you say that, Keith?

I've told you these same things, directly, face to face, while we drank beer together.

I know you're involved with making sails for them. Are you involved in the building too?