Sailbydate

Coolboats to admire

18 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

You need more testosterone-friendly food in your diet.

I love silver cars.  :D  Most of my cars have been silver.  lol.

I thought you just liked cougars

Did we already admire this Nigel Irens gem :

08b667fbbfcd36e72fb2f7af9e0646d8.jpg

Whether it is an ORMA tri or a yawl,  I like Nigel Irens work.

• Like 1

That picture gives me vertigo. Too many angles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Did we already admire this Nigel Irens gem :

08b667fbbfcd36e72fb2f7af9e0646d8.jpg

Whether it is an ORMA tri or a yawl,  I like Nigel Irens work.

Those Southern rivers are like that over there 

Those are some widely spaced reef points. The top one should be labeled, "Are we having fun yet?"

• Like 2

More musical thread drift. This kid, Brandon Niederauer, is a natural talent guitar virtuoso worth following. 15 years old. He was a prodigy of Col Bruce Hampton, who in his final performance collapsed and died on stage as Niederauer was soloing beside him. Here's Niederauer performing the National Anthem a couple days ago at a Chicago Cubs game. 

• Like 3

A budding Hendrix.

On 5/29/2018 at 1:19 PM, Panoramix said:

less angles

a25f804c0cbf5571d9d391f4ef1fd729.jpg

Top_MPV.jpg

Designed by Irens and built by cloggies : http://www.romilly.nl/home.html

If I could have a stable of boats, this would be one. Alas, I cannot. Wait a minute...

4 hours ago, RKoch said:

More musical thread drift. This kid, Brandon Niederauer, is a natural talent guitar virtuoso worth following. 15 years old. He was a prodigy of Col Bruce Hampton, who in his final performance collapsed and died on stage as Niederauer was soloing beside him. Here's Niederauer performing the National Anthem a couple days ago at a Chicago Cubs game. 

200w_d.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

A budding Hendrix.

I hope he's with us a bit longer than Jimi was.

My musical thread drifts have been mainly Americans, so here's something for Canadians...one of your finest.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bull City said:

If I could have a stable of boats, this would be one. Alas, I cannot. Wait a minute...

Yes you can!!!

3 hours ago, RKoch said:

My musical thread drifts have been mainly Americans, so here's something for Canadians...one of your finest.

I think I had Cock Burn in my youth....

14 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I think I had Cock Burn in my youth....

Where on your body did you have it?

Enquiring minds...

3 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Where on your body did you have it?

Enquiring minds...

ummmm.....   I thought it was self explanatory.  :P

30 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

ummmm.....   I thought it was self explanatory.  :P

You must be over 25 years old.

On 5/28/2018 at 1:40 AM, Hawaiidart said:
On 5/27/2018 at 8:31 PM, bridhb said:

Will someone please start making a "minimum fast cruiser" boat like that again!

someone is apparently listening: https://www.clubswan36.com

Foiler or prototype for ice boat?

E28E9BA7-7A72-42F6-A1BE-6E98FFE56A5B.jpeg

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Foiler or prototype for ice boat?

E28E9BA7-7A72-42F6-A1BE-6E98FFE56A5B.jpeg

I'm sure Jim Betts could build that from that drawing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JMOD said:

someone is apparently listening: https://www.clubswan36.com

Your idea of "small" and my idea of "small" differ quite a lot!

• Like 1

Stone Horse 23. A 1931 design from Sam Crocker, adapted to glass in the 70's. Crocker fit a nice safe cockpit, an adequate sitting cabin with ample berths, a small galley, spot for a head, and reasonable storage, all in 23'. The trick to me is that it's still a sleek sailboat with it's raised deck that doesn't look over-stuffed. 

Ironically, the big Hinckley in the background - despite being 3 or more times the size - has too much freeboard for my eye. Maybe there is an elegant aft stateroom with a hanging chandelier, back there?

You can see that the designer "stuffed" too much living space in that boat. Needed another 30' LOA to bring the decks down on a nice sheer.  

stone-horse-23-jpg.151327

• Like 1

^^ Yeah, the Stone Horse looks like a lot more fun than the big Hinckley.

Get that Stone Horse out of the way so we can take the little gem out for a sail!

Once we get the bowsprit on and make sure the belaying pins are ready for action...

849A2ADF-8873-4C9A-B1CA-A18185E7B423.jpeg

STARBUCK, now SUSPECT, has a new owner and a new home in the Great Lakes. It has undergone a total refurbishment and is not out cruising and racing.

This morning I got this email from Peter Fuller, a crew member on SUSPECT:

" she was registered for the Susan Hood trophy race, a spring classic up here on Lake Ontario, I thought you might like to know, as we think it may be the first time the boat may have been raced. In a fleet 80 boats , she was third back to the barn after a 70 mile over nite sprint. Only beaten back by a Soto 40 and a Farr 45, both very new boats that started 5 mins ahead of us. If the race was 3 miles longer we’d had been ahead of the Soto. Conditions were from 12 to 28 kts of breeze and we enjoyed a very comfortable ride and fairly dry.

Suspect, ex Starbuck finished 1st in her division and 1st overall winning the event. Not a bad result for a “cruiser “ .

STARBUCK/SUSPECT was designed as a live aboard cruiser for Bill and Heather Clute of Newport Beach, CA. Bill and Heather cruised the boat extensively but I don't recall them ever racing the boat despite Bill's past successes on the race course (Big Boat Series SFYC). After Heather dies Bill stopped sailing and eventually moved the boat to SF where he did sail the boat. But he moved to the mountains (he's now a neighbour of Don M.). The boat was sold and moved to the Great Lakes.

I think this design illustrates that comforta and speed can work together very well. It's not often that a boat designed as a live aboard boat can compete with the latest race boats. In fact, I can't think of another case like this and especially considering the age of SUSPECT, We are talking about a 22 year old boat here! I can live with First in Class and First Overall.

Once again, I'm satisfied for producing a great design. Much credit going to builder and my friend Dennis Choate. The overall concept really came from Dennis.He contributed ideas, I contributed drawings.

Nothing like waking up on Sunday morning to learn that one of my boats has just won a race against formidable competition. Kind of makes you ponder the definition of "proper cruising boat". Keep an open mind folks.

• Like 6

Were  there no origami boats with steel pipe masts and galvanized rigging entered in the race? Surely they would have won, given their superior speed and reef-smashing capabilities.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 1:42 PM, Bull City said:

Beer, I think you need to start your own thread. Just keep us up to date with a few pics and a little narrative about what happens on your many projects each day.

Carry on,

B.C.

I’ll get on that in the next month if all goes well with my house nearing completion. Cornflower is patiently waiting for me to spend a few hours on as is Mooeak. I’ll be back to Awlwooding the miles of mahogany  and prepping the topsides for paint. 

My brother and I just got a new set of skins for our Ensign Classic and since we’re Wed. Night  beer canning and PHRF, we’ve taken some liberty  with the sails and rig with some help from someone with more knowledge that I can ever achieve. I’m sure it will draw some attention.

We unboxed them yesterday with my 87 year old Dad and 2 time National Champion in the class and I “gosh darn!” since I was videoing them and my Dad Said “God Damn!” 

I think we’ll call the setup “Back To The Future.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

I’ll get on that in the next month if all goes well with my house nearing completion. Cornflower is patiently waiting for me to spend a few hours on as is Mooeak. I’ll be back to Awlwooding the miles of mahogany  and prepping the topsides for paint. 

My brother and I just got a new set of skins for our Ensign Classic and since we’re Wed. Night  beer canning and PHRF, we’ve taken some liberty  with the sails and rig with some help from someone with more knowledge that I can ever achieve. I’m sure it will draw some attention.

We unboxed them yesterday with my 87 year old Dad and 2 time National Champion in the class and I “gosh darn!” since I was videoing them and my Dad Said “God Damn!” 

I think we’ll call the setup “Back To The Future.”

I don't think I could keep up with you. Probably not your dad either.

Coming from a guy who can look at a piece of canvas and turn it into a work of art, I think you’d do fine with us. My Dad takes a couple of breaks-I let him;)

On 6/3/2018 at 8:06 AM, captain_crunch said:

^^ Yeah, the Stone Horse looks like a lot more fun than the big Hinckley.

Here's a better angle on the Hinckley (76' ex Freesia).

freesia-20custom-2076-jpg.50115

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kdh said:

freesia-20custom-2076-jpg.50115

She's a beauty but I'm surprised by the in-mast furling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdh said:

Yes, the Hinckley looks much much better in profile than via that odd angle above the bum.

It reminds me a lot of 1960s Van de Stadt boats such as Stormvogel or the English-built Excalibur class.  Aesthetically, those are some of my all-time favourite designs.  Van de Stadt would have added more spring to the sheer, which is the only tweak I'd want to this profile .... but VdS would probably have made a more anaemic and narrow stern, so overall I prefer the Hinckley

2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Yes, the Hinckley looks much much better in profile than via that odd angle above the bum.

It reminds me a lot of 1960s Van de Stadt boats such as Stormvogel or the English-built Excalibur class.  Aesthetically, those are some of my all-time favourite designs.  Van de Stadt would have added more spring to the sheer, which is the only tweak I'd want to this profile .... but VdS would probably have made a more anaemic and narrow stern, so overall I prefer the Hinckley

Not very springy here: from Tad Roberts site, lines of Stormvogel

Stormvogellines

Tom, will you stop posting those pictures! They're disrupting my day! Gosh I wish I was on the water right this minute, right now ...

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 10:50 AM, Bob Perry said:

STARBUCK, now SUSPECT, has a new owner and a new home in the Great Lakes. It has undergone a total refurbishment and is not out cruising and racing.

This morning I got this email from Peter Fuller, a crew member on SUSPECT:

" she was registered for the Susan Hood trophy race, a spring classic up here on Lake Ontario, I thought you might like to know, as we think it may be the first time the boat may have been raced. In a fleet 80 boats , she was third back to the barn after a 70 mile over nite sprint. Only beaten back by a Soto 40 and a Farr 45, both very new boats that started 5 mins ahead of us. If the race was 3 miles longer we’d had been ahead of the Soto. Conditions were from 12 to 28 kts of breeze and we enjoyed a very comfortable ride and fairly dry.

Suspect, ex Starbuck finished 1st in her division and 1st overall winning the event. Not a bad result for a “cruiser “ .

STARBUCK/SUSPECT was designed as a live aboard cruiser for Bill and Heather Clute of Newport Beach, CA. Bill and Heather cruised the boat extensively but I don't recall them ever racing the boat despite Bill's past successes on the race course (Big Boat Series SFYC). After Heather dies Bill stopped sailing and eventually moved the boat to SF where he did sail the boat. But he moved to the mountains (he's now a neighbour of Don M.). The boat was sold and moved to the Great Lakes.

I think this design illustrates that comforta and speed can work together very well. It's not often that a boat designed as a live aboard boat can compete with the latest race boats. In fact, I can't think of another case like this and especially considering the age of SUSPECT, We are talking about a 22 year old boat here! I can live with First in Class and First Overall.

Once again, I'm satisfied for producing a great design. Much credit going to builder and my friend Dennis Choate. The overall concept really came from Dennis.He contributed ideas, I contributed drawings.

Nothing like waking up on Sunday morning to learn that one of my boats has just won a race against formidable competition. Kind of makes you ponder the definition of "proper cruising boat". Keep an open mind folks.

Congrats Bob, must be a great feeling!  I'm sure there's a VPP for this boat - do you have any info on ratings for the design and what kinda PHRF number it should be running?

17 minutes ago, Presuming Ed said:

Ripple, lugger.

1960_RIPPLE_10.jpg?itok=RoJFiG1i

1960_RIPPLE_23.jpg

Which harbour is SS?

Interesting lugger. There are so many variations of luggers on both side of the channel. Simple and efficient (for its time) rig.

5 hours ago, IStream said:

She's a beauty but I'm surprised by the in-mast furling.

She was built in 1993, after Hinckley had a lot of success with in-mast furling. Today they'd do in-boom.

4 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Nielsen, Levera. 

levera-jpg.151409

What is wrong with this otherwise "drop dead gawgeous" yacht?

26 minutes ago, kinardly said:

Bull, I think you should  do another painting. 

1960_RIPPLE_23.jpg

I agree. I'll get to work on it. :) Seriously, I've got a few projects underway, but I really like this image. 

4 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Well it’s a death trap of course but apart from that the only thing wrong with it is that it’s somewhere that I’m not 

3 hours ago, kdh said:

She was built in 1993, after Hinckley had a lot of success with in-mast furling. Today they'd do in-boom.

Makes sense.

15 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Sight down the backstay, through the binnacle and onto the companionway. Dangerously offset (obviously, Mr. Bull). 

Critical:

No, I have no data on PHRF ratings for SUSPECT. The original design was never intended for racing. It was designed as a live aboard. But I did get an inquiry today about another STARBUCK. Seems it got some attention in it's very first race. I'll see if I can find what rating they gave it.

Might be better to email me on this. ( Email, address is on my web site)  Whatever I post here on STARBUCK is liable to get lost in the drift. Or you can check in with me on Facebook. I have an active thread started there on STARBUCK/SUSPECT with one of the crew members contributing.

And yes, it does feel good to see the boat enjoying a second childhood.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

Ripple, lugger.

1960_RIPPLE_10.jpg?itok=RoJFiG1i

1960_RIPPLE_23.jpg

I was wondering when a cool smallish boat would show up here again.

Though in deciding whether this one goes here or to the Society, I would have gone the other way.

14 hours ago, Bull City said:

Offset companionway

Zen master:

No problemo, we can do another one for you.

Just had an email from the new owner this morning. He has put a lot into bringing the boat back to like new condition, maybe better than new. He's quite happy with the boat.

15 hours ago, Bull City said:
20 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Nielsen, Levera. 

levera-jpg.151409

Mis-matched dock lines

FB- Doug

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Mis-matched dock lines

FB- Doug

Not only mis-matched, but they are going to abrade the finish on the tow rail to bare wood in days. I suspect this is on purpose to keep the local  varnish minions employed and off the streets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Can you expound on this?  Is their an abbreviation associated withe every port town? 

Yes. AIUI, fishing boats have to be registered to an "administrative port". Each designated port has a one or two letter code. Then the port gives the boat a number.

List of ports and codes: http://jg.ten27.org/jg49.htm

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Presuming Ed said:

Yes. AIUI, fishing boats have to be registered to an "administrative port". Each designated port has a one or two letter code. Then the port gives the boat a number.

I learned something this morning - thanks for that! 

edited to add: Also learned that there were multiple "St Ives" in the UK - i had previously only known about the one in Cambridgeshire. 

I would think that most people in this country would think of the Cornish one first.

But there are rowing regattas held in both.

They're a bit eccentric, the ship numbering codes, and some popular ports are not really on the coast, or don't have a fishing fleet anymore but are kept on out of sentiment. S is for Skibbereen, which is about eight miles from the sea. 

The Cambridgeshire St. Ives provides the final line for one of the great lyric observations on the nature of love - I refer of course to the song Chatteris, by Half Man Half Biscuit.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:02 AM, Kris Cringle said:

Stone Horse 23. A 1931 design from Sam Crocker, adapted to glass in the 70's. Crocker fit a nice safe cockpit, an adequate sitting cabin with ample berths, a small galley, spot for a head, and reasonable storage, all in 23'. The trick to me is that it's still a sleek sailboat with it's raised deck that doesn't look over-stuffed. 

Ironically, the big Hinckley in the background - despite being 3 or more times the size - has too much freeboard for my eye. Maybe there is an elegant aft stateroom with a hanging chandelier, back there?

I sailed on a larger Stone Horse years ago, 26', 30'? , and thought it quite roomy for it's size, and a nice sailing boat.

I remember when the big Hinckley was launched, one of the reviews in a magazine seemed less than thrilled with the design, taking issue in particular with the quite forward mast (and maybe keel also) position, IIRC. The build quality would be sublime, of course.

0x0_67_14772175359c37331ded92.jpg.7e79fa609d4c3eb89a7f3e65df6a229d.jpg

0x0_67_60665393159c373315c0b8.jpg.170871a9eca3f1dabfd0262ce06c21f2.jpg0x0_67_98700236059c3733391193.jpg.d5b8d7dd2c24af959d7033c7f550a7aa.jpg

1 hour ago, Presuming Ed said:

Pleasure and merchant boats in France are also attached to a harbour, the zones are relatively wide : Quartier d'immatriculations

Some old ones have been removed but are still used by some old gaffers, I am not sure how it works may be they just get a "vanity number".

49 minutes ago, Presuming Ed said:

I would think that most people in this country would think of the Cornish one first.

But there are rowing regattas held in both.

Real men don't need slidy seats!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Real men used to grease the thwart and wear trousers with thick seats.

33 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Real men used to grease the thwart and wear trousers with thick seats.

Unless they're Aussie lifeguards.

4 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Real women do. They also need helmets and clubs.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

A Crocker schooner. 

IMG_2723.JPG

Are you sure that's not a B.B. Crowninshield? Looks a lot like the late Don Glassie's "Fortune". Don was a good friend, I used to sail with him on the "S" boat quite a bit, on Fortune a couple of times. 

Am I sure? No.

I say Crocker because I found this schooner in Sam Crocker's Boats. The drawing shows a gaff foresail, but the picture in the book has a staysail as does my picture. The sheer could have flattened over the years. 

Kittiwake Sail Plan.jpg

Kittwake Photo.jpg

On 6/4/2018 at 11:48 PM, Bull City said:

she is completely asymmetrical. every winch is in a different location from the looks of it. 

23 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Are you sure that's not a B.B. Crowninshield? Looks a lot like the late Don Glassie's "Fortune". Don was a good friend, I used to sail with him on the "S" boat quite a bit, on Fortune a couple of times. 

Didn't Crowninshield also design Fame?

I’m going to go with Crowninshire on this one. 4’ clearance below decks gave him ample room to draw out a sheer. 

I think there are a few articles containing his work in WoodenBoat. 

4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I’m going to go with Crowninshire on this one. 4’ clearance below decks gave him ample room to draw out a sheer. 

I think there are a few articles containing his work in WoodenBoat. 

I believe that's B. B. Crowninshield.

On 6/5/2018 at 10:22 PM, Ishmael said:

Real women do. They also need helmets and clubs.

The incompetence is impressive. My 14 years old daughter is a slidy seat rower and she's definitely not that clumsy even if she's been rowing just for a year!

14 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

There is nothing "Crocker ish" about hat schooner in the photo.

Because it's not a Crocker. The photo is of Fortune, I've sailed on her. She's a much older idea of a long, low, skinny boat to fly upwind, 50' LOA, under 10' beam. In southern NE she kills any schooner race that goes upwind.

Long, low, skinny, fun to sail. Who'd a thunk it?

• Like 1

Loser:

Thanks. I was convinced it was not Crocker. Crocker never drew a sheer like that. Crowninshiled did flat sheers.

6 hours ago, Panoramix said:

The incompetence is impressive. My 14 years old daughter is a slidy seat rower and she's definitely not that clumsy even if she's been rowing just for a year!

I've been rowing a single for about 10 years. That was scary. At times they appeared to be colliding intentionally. There could have been some very serious injuries. Several years ago, a single sculler on the Charles River had his torso pierced by the bow of another boat. Bad shit can happen.

The organizers of that regatta should be scrutinized. IIRC, the sculler on the Charles survived and is rowing again.

silken Lauman, 1992.  wiki:

Arguably the most famous incident in Laumann's life was during her training leading up to the 1992 Summer Olympics. One of the odds-on favourites to capture a gold medal, her shell was involved in a collision with the boat of German coxless pair team Colin von Ettinghausen and Peter Hoeltzenbein on May 15, 1992. Despite serious injuries to her leg (in her words, "I looked at the leg for a few seconds and knew it was serious when my muscle was hanging at my ankle and I could see the bone"[2]), five operations and a total stay in the hospital of approximately three weeks, Laumann was back on the water training by late June. Her efforts paid off with a bronze medal, and she was subsequently named Canadian of the Year by the Canadian Club in recognition and was selected to carry the Canadian Flag in the closing ceremonies of the Olympics.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

I've been rowing a single for about 10 years. That was scary. At times they appeared to be colliding intentionally. There could have been some very serious injuries. Several years ago, a single sculler on the Charles River had his torso pierced by the bow of another boat. Bad shit can happen.

The organizers of that regatta should be scrutinized. IIRC, the sculler on the Charles survived and is rowing again.

Yes, accidents can happen really fast and the people on the video should definitely not be rowing in an event. When I was rowing gigs, one got T boned by another one, they were lucky nobody got injured but there were quite a few splinters. Gigs round buoys like sailing boats, it was swelly, one boat started his turn wide as it was at the bottom of a wave and the cox of following boat who was overshooting just saw the front boat  reappear  going at a right angle just in front...

The quip for slidy seat rowers was with my tongue firmly in my cheek, I've just restarted rowing and I now do it on slidy seat boats... but I still miss gig rowing, it was really fun!

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I believe that's B. B. Crowninshield.

Got autocorrected. Love his Yachts and C L is lucky to have sailed aboard one.