Sailbydate

Coolboats to admire

2 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Loser:

I think some clients get more of a kick out of the process than they do actually owning the boat. "What do you mean? Now I have to  use the boat?"

On CATARI we went back and forth over the shape of the bow. One Friday I must have drawn at least a half dozen bow profiles for Paul. We finally ended up with a plumb stem with a slight reverse rake. Paul called it the "You talkin' to me?" bow or the "De Niro" bow. It was brutal.  He said he would present it t his wife over the weekend for her approval.

Monday morning came and Paul  called. I asked him what Sue thought of the`bow. I'll nver forget what he said. He said, "She could not have hated it more." She wanted a graceful bow overhang. She got it.

That's some funny shit, right there.

In George's case he sailed the shit out of all of his boats. Restive did Bermuda most years he owned her, unless he wintered her in the Bras D'Or, as did 2 of his prior boats. Made it easier to get to Newfoundland. If he didn't have crew, he'd singlehand. 

But he also loved the process. I don't believe that he's ever owned a production cruising boat. Four custom builds over about 40 years, each one a little better than the last. The last 2 were 47' and 48', he didn't want bigger, he wanted faster and really just wanted to do another custom build. 

18 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Zonks:

Not sure what you mean. The gudgeons are as big as the gudgeons need to be for a 1" titanium rod and the bushing ,  The "splayed" shape is to help spread the CF out over the inner and out faces of the transom. I never considered them large. They are just what they are. They are certainly not a component we would want to go light on. Working in CF gives us design options you would not have in stainless. 

44884300475_fddd088dfb_k.jpg006 by robert perry, on Flickr

I was hoping to get a quick explanation for the bracket-in-a-bracket config for the Watt&Sea units. I've been considering

them for a while and have shared anchorages with other boats that have them. Two have ripped entirely off the boats they

were on - and survived. What is going on with these mounts? Angle change? Offset further aft?

Oyster:

Nothing special, just angled vertically to keep the units parallel with the waterplane. The brackets are also removable so you are seeing a bracket in a bracket.

2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Bob, in the case of Restive, the original owner, a close friend, says he spent well over a month and 6 iterations going back and forth  with Niels Helleberg to get the bow profile just right to HIS eye, and to get it properly balanced with the stern overhang. To my eye as well, it works perfectly.  

It was his second custom build with Helleberg, after doing two customs with Aage Nielsen.  For the first few years of our friendship, while I had the Hinckley, he was constantly on me to do a custom of my own, he says it's the most fun he's ever had with money.  Mr. Bottles, it seems, would probably agree.

Yes Mr. Loser, maybe the most fun I have ever had spending money was doing the Sliver project with Bob.

(Being descendent from Scot Highlanders I generally don’t like spending money, but spent on boats; well it just seems right.)

As an aside, I wonder if some of the Bob detractors actually ever met him if they would change their perception of him. I certainly don’t always agree with him on everything, but I find him a very nice decent genuine fellow whose company I very much enjoy. Much of the negative things said about him on SA simply does not match up with the person I know quite well.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

As an aside, I wonder if some of the Bob detractors actually ever met him if they would change their perception of him. 

I've seen him, talked to him and listened to him. (Not sure I'd go so far as to call it meeting him.) I had a good opinion of him until then. I was actually considering hiring him to consult on what boat I should buy. He handled that so well that well, here we are. None of it is about his boats. I'm sure he does the best he can on his boats. But, like Axle Rose, what he does doesn't make up for who he is, no matter how good he thinks he is.

Just heard from the owner of this CT 65. It's the only one with a deck house. It spends most of its time up north in Scandinavia. They just had a wild but fun ride from Dublin to Spain where they are now in a marina full of mega yachts. Owner says they are the "gypsy boat" in the marina.

45190091964_8266d46ef3_b.jpgCY 65 PH docker by robert perry, on Flickr

52 minutes ago, Jammer Six said:

None of it is about his boats.

The problem here isn't his boats, the problem here is the thread. Go over to his other self-promotion threads, page after page of Bob, and note that I haven't objected at all. I don't care if he has to promote his business; as Josey Wales said, he's got to eat, same as worms.

But we were having a nice thread looking at cool boats from around the world. Now, if Bob's boats were that cool, someone would have posted one or two of them. (Maybe they did. It's a long thread. Not the point.)

But it's not up to Bob to jump in and scream "look at ME!" like an eight year old.

THAT'S what I objected to. He doesn't understand this point, I realize that. Maybe you understand it, maybe you don't. But now you've been told.

And now, because he's pretending he doesn't read my posts, he's going to continue to post pictures of his boats, like the guy who isn't aware that that bowl is for washing your fingers, not drinking. (I'll be impressed if he stops, and leaves our thread alone, but you know what? I doubt that'll happen. It's Bob.)

Must be quite a marina if a customized 65' is the country cousin. :D

2 hours ago, kimbottles said:

As an aside, I wonder if some of the Bob detractors actually ever met him if they would change their perception of him. I certainly don’t always agree with him on everything, but I find him a very nice decent genuine fellow whose company I very much enjoy. Much of the negative things said about him on SA simply does not match up with the person I know quite well.

I was thinking of starting a CoolBob's To Admire thread just to completely trigger J6.

9 minutes ago, dogballs Tom said:

I was thinking of starting a CoolBob's To Admire thread just to completely trigger J6.

Then you're not paying attention.

Everyone has plusses and minuses, good points and bad points, strengths and weaknesses. I haven't seen your good side yet, Jammer. What have you contributed?

I think it might be best if we all resist the temptation to complain about other people's posts.  A better approach might be to post something relevant to the topic of the thread that will steer the conversation in a different direction.

Can we all just get along?