Sailbydate

Coolboats to admire

wow. the Sou'wester 70 is a new one to me. Is it getting warm in here? :wub:

one of the oval skylights and the pipe organ aboard Antonisa.

hodgtonaw_antonisa.jpg

You cannot be serious.

Romain

Bruce King's Unicorn. I'm in love with everything about this boat. She sold recently. I hope the new owner is treating her well.

Unicorn2.jpg

Yeah, Unicorn is just about as gorgeous as they come. Even Bill Luders would have been jealous.

With all due respect to Luders and Cheoy Lee, it's not really the same thing, is it?

CL42_BRcover.jpg

No - one is a custom one off for the designers own use and the other was a fairly econo production boat. The Cheoy Clippers ARE gorgeous boats though

... the little custom catboat they carried as dinghy. ...

Pics?

Apparently not..... ^_^.......I think I was pissed they didn't ask us about it, just told us to find a place for it (very late in the build) and to design appropriate chocks......It may have come from an Italian designer, I forget......the ego wars of big-boat design......was a sweet shape that would have rowed nicely....perhaps it didn't sail that well as more recent pics show a glass planing dinghy on deck (with proper matching paint of course).

If there were dedicated spin-sheet winches they probably got cut in the budget wars towards the end of her build.......

Antsailing.jpg

Are you serious? MONEY was discussed during the build of a boat like that? If ever there was an "open chequebook" situation a 100' sailboat is it.

hodgtonaw_antonisa.jpg

You cannot be serious.

Romain

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by serious. I mean, think about it... you're a gazillionaire, you want this boat that's as cool as a J-class only prettier & faster, and your current girlfriend is a classical musician who moonlights as a supermodel... this is the boat you get. It's a joke but it's still beautiful. And if you're that guy, it's practical too.

There are so many super-expensive monuments to ego & bad taste that when I see something like this, I say "Yeah it's over the top, but it's truly great"

FB- Doug

No - one is a custom one off for the designers own use and the other was a fairly econo production boat. The Cheoy Clippers ARE gorgeous boats though

a friend of mine has a schooner rigged CL 42. we once saw 9.4kts reaching across the slot. it is indeed a very nice boat with a very nice motion through the water.

Are you serious? MONEY was discussed during the build of a boat like that? If ever there was an "open chequebook" situation a 100' sailboat is it.

Money is always an issue, it just involves more zeros in big boats......It's been years since I thought about this but I think Antonisa was slashed something like $1.4m (below projected finished cost) in her last year of construction. I do remember when Lewmar called with a huge cut to their quote for deck hardware and hydraulics, they got the job......

a friend of mine has a schooner rigged CL 42. we once saw 9.4kts reaching across the slot. it is indeed a very nice boat with a very nice motion through the water.

I believe Ted Brewer drew those, or at least most of them.

I really and truly meant it when I said no disrespect to Luders. There are days when I'd love to have one of smaller Luders ketches, or an Alden Fuji ketch, or some other picturesque boat but I know full well I'd have less chance of keeping up with my friend Jim's C&C 25 in a 35' full keel ketch than in my Hunter 28. The boats we like best don't necessarily match the boating activities we like best.

I really and truly meant it when I said no disrespect to Luders. There are days when I'd love to have one of smaller Luders ketches, or an Alden Fuji ketch, or some other picturesque boat but I know full well I'd have less chance of keeping up with my friend Jim's C&C 25 in a 35' full keel ketch than in my Hunter 28. The boats we like best don't necessarily match the boating activities we like best.

I'm sure Bob could fix that for ya. :)

I'm sure Bob could fix that for ya. :)

Yes, but not on my budget.

Money is always an issue, it just involves more zeros in big boats......It's been years since I thought about this but I think Antonisa was slashed something like $1.4m (below projected finished cost) in her last year of construction. I do remember when Lewmar called with a huge cut to their quote for deck hardware and hydraulics, they got the job......

Some might think building a 62' daysailer indicates an open wallet policy, but I bet Kim is not among them. ;)

Cheoy Lee Clipper 36 schooner in my old boatyard in RI. Beautiful boat, has tanbark sails too.

DSC01352_zps4133a90c.jpg

This one, with a white trunk cabin, looks better to me than the one the brochure that I posted that applied teak. I think that shows that my taste has been formed by decades of fiberglass boats. Also , the picture is sharper and brighter.

Some might think building a 62' daysailer indicates an open wallet policy, but I bet Kim is not among them. ;)

Only people who do not own the wallet think there is such a thing as an open wallet policy. Open wallet policies are a fantasy.

Spending this kind of money is not done lightly. Tom Perkins discusses this topic in the book about building the Maltese Falcon, he explains it better than I can.

Very good observation. If I had a bloated chequebook I'd get the Maestro to draw up a "Night Runner" type custom staysail schooner that looked a lot like the Clipper 42 and Kings clippers.

Speaking of Cheoy Lees....I found this one (I think this is a CL? Not sure of the model) while out paddling today. In a sad state of neglect but looks like she was loved at some point in the past. Very low tide this afternoon so she was hard aground. I hate seeing beautiful boats like this - would love to go back at high tide and "rescue" her.... maybe she'll show up on Craigslist sometime :)

photo5_zps288fc30a.jpg

photo6_zps716679c5.jpg

Speaking of Cheoy Lees....I found this one (I think this is a CL? Not sure of the model) while out paddling today. In a sad state of neglect but looks like she was loved at some point in the past. Very low tide this afternoon so she was hard aground. I hate seeing beautiful boats like this - would love to go back at high tide and "rescue" her.... maybe she'll show up on Craigslist sometime :)

photo5_zps288fc30a.jpg

photo6_zps716679c5.jpg

Sad

Nothing good can be going on inside that boat. Sad.

Here's a happy catboat rudder to improve the mood. Rumor has it mr moon may have some catboat sailing pics...

ls%3D00606536554820130813170404560.JPG

hodgtonaw_antonisa.jpg

You cannot be serious.

Romain

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by serious. I mean, think about it... you're a gazillionaire, you want this boat that's as cool as a J-class only prettier & faster, and your current girlfriend is a classical musician who moonlights as a supermodel... this is the boat you get. It's a joke but it's still beautiful. And if you're that guy, it's practical too.

There are so many super-expensive monuments to ego & bad taste that when I see something like this, I say "Yeah it's over the top, but it's truly great"

FB- Doug

Maybe this is "subtle" like the some aspects of the sliver boat are described by KB.

Romain

Hmm - classical musician, supermodel... if there's a nuclear physics PhD attached, that's a textbook Eastern European mail-order bride!

Hmm - classical musician, supermodel... if there's a nuclear physics PhD attached, that's a textbook Eastern European mail-order bride!

I don't know about the PhD in Physics, but Khatia certainly would grace the keyboard of the aforementioned vessel.

217092_542576362461890_255773691_n.jpg

That... is an exceptional kite set.

thanks, we tried our best. though some other fun fact about that video: we (falcon, 1930) are chasing lafayette (1985) around the mark. we had an exceptional good day that day with our dacron sails and wooden mast/boom against some more optimized and modern boats.s

JMOD

AFAIK she did not carry a traditional symmetrical spinaker set on a pole (though I have a vague memory of drawing them on the deck plan). I doubt it's a reaching strut, but I don't remember, it could be a boat boom for the little custom catboat they carried as dinghy. We did set a big asymmetric flying outside the rolled genoa. How many winches do you need? Primaries are aft by the steering cockpit, secondaries are alongside the mid-cockpit, runners are on captive reels under the aft cockpit. If there were dedicated spin-sheet winches they probably got cut in the budget wars towards the end of her build.......

Antsailing.jpg

you can never have enough winches... (kidding). It looked like the runners went to their own winches on the side of the cockpit (4th winch from the left, halfway at the deck table). but if they go underneath, there are just enough winches. but also missed the turningblocks near the back of the boat. thanks for your explanation btw tad. I really like the lines of the boat, I was just figuring her out when in racing use.

she sure is messing with the water, look at all that wake!

Well, a couple hundred tons (Did I figure that right?) of water are being pushed out the way for every boat length she sails. That's gonna leave a swirl on the water.

Well, a couple hundred tons (Did I figure that right?) of water are being pushed out the way for every boat length she sails. That's gonna leave a swirl on the water.

But if you're wanting to shift water, it's a really nice way to do it. Beats the hell out of sitting in a storm water culvert! :)

But if you're wanting to shift water, it's a really nice way to do it. Beats the hell out of sitting in a storm water culvert! :)

Ha, ha. Isn't that the stunt NZL 5 tried to pull on the racetrack today? :blink:

Here is a photo taken by BJ of WILD HORSES just leaving the recent Perry Rendezvous. I think this is a very cool boat.

This boat is now about 10 years old but I still can't find anything I would like to change on it.

post-2980-0-79436400-1377541158_thumb.jpg

post-2980-0-87168500-1377541175_thumb.jpg

This picture taught us to try reefing the main. We had both head sails out and were trying to point effectively in 15 knots gusts to 20. The gusts were causing a bit of weather helm.

Watching how well she was performing under what looked like one reef, we tried it too. The head sails were just fine. Kerry drove the boat better than I ever have.

It calmed Brigadoon down a lot. Out speed actually got better with less drama. We were consistently hitting 5.5 - 6.2 kts.

It made a great sail.

Nice cans!

I don't know about the PhD in Physics, but Khatia certainly would grace the keyboard of the aforementioned vessel.

217092_542576362461890_255773691_n.jpg

Saw this in Edgartown. Kind of looks sw42 or Alden inspired/updated with a carbon rig. Name is Glory out of Beverly Yacht Club. Any know anything about her?

Sorry about crappy foggy cell phone pics. Been a wet Labor Day weekend around here

post-2885-0-62557500-1378128916_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-85377800-1378128956_thumb.jpg

Tom: Those overhangs are all in context of the rule. As such they have to be evaluated that way and not just as arbitrary overhangs. It's all too simple when you don't have all the information. A little research into this class might be good for you. They are marvelous and weird boats. The Dragon class was considered the VW Bettle of the square meter classes. Kind of hard to imagine.

I really enjoy racing Dragons - 50 shades of red rope. Everything is highly refined and adjustable, rough and fine tune, port and starboard. I've learned more about sail and mast trim sailing one of those than any other boat.

The cold molded ones are like floating Steinways.

oceansurfer1-l.jpg

oceansurfer1-l.jpg

Now that's a worthy post. Cool boat and a very cool guy. Much to be admired.

That's a nice boat and I'm a Taylor fan, but what's with the complete lack of handholds inside? The only thing to grab is the galley faucet!

Looks like she has a wood painted carbon mast and boom, Bob. Too bad they didn't go with bamboo.

It occurs to me that one of the reasons it looks so awful is that except for the paint job, it looks exactly like a composite mast and boom. Look at that gooseneck. And no classic boat would have a boom shaped like that. With the wood paint they look silly, but they'd look fine if they weren't masquerading.

I'm going to join Trovao... in memory of Dick Newick: Echo II

echo2-l.jpg

I find that beautiful and a little odd at the same time. I like it.

oceansurfer1-l.jpg

I put Spark (Damfino) up on this cool wall in post #9, but here is another picture of her- I was lucky enough to sail for a couple of days on Ocean Surfer.

post-24720-0-14230800-1378220747_thumb.jpg

"Cruisers reef for survival. Racers reef for performance."

so true. Being a dinghy sailor most of my life I haven't had much personal experience with reefing till My EC adventure. 4th day we were going upwind in shallow water with steep chop at a very short interval. We climbed over 2 boats in our group but I didn't like how much work I was doing with the main to keep things civilized. After about 3 hours I finally opted to reef to save my arm. I was expecting to be slower. Not so! We were faster and more in control. I was amazed, a real lesson.

Saw this in Edgartown. Kind of looks sw42 or Alden inspired/updated with a carbon rig. Name is Glory out of Beverly Yacht Club. Any know anything about her?

Sorry about crappy foggy cell phone pics. Been a wet Labor Day weekend around here

She's a Jim Taylor design: http://www.tayloryachtdesigns.com/103.php

[Picky, picky, picky] Bow profile is too straight for me. Straight bow profile and sheerline forwards doesn't match things further aft. Very pointy forward. But then she's not my boat, so my opinion doesn't matter. [/Ppp]

glory-1.jpg

That's a nice boat and I'm a Taylor fan, but what's with the complete lack of handholds inside? The only thing to grab is the galley faucet!

Drip shelf below the windows/portlights.

glory-3.jpg

She's a Jim Taylor design: http://www.tayloryachtdesigns.com/103.php

[Picky, picky, picky] Bow profile is too straight for me. Straight bow profile and sheerline forwards doesn't match things further aft. Very pointy forward. But then she's not my boat, so my opinion doesn't matter. [/Ppp]

glory-1.jpg

>That's a nice boat and I'm a Taylor fan, but what's with the complete lack of handholds inside? The only thing to grab is the galley faucet!

Drip shelf below the windows/portlights.

glory-3.jpg

Yup. Saw that too as that is what is inside Brigadoon.

I put Spark (Damfino) up on this cool wall in post #9, but here is another picture of her- I was lucky enough to sail for a couple of days on Ocean Surfer.

attachicon.gifimg_0482a.jpg

Spark is very cool. If I remember correctly, a trimaran canoe yawl:

image828.jpg

I think that Taylor design is damn near perfect.

Yes the bow profile is not that of a Bermuda 40. You can only play Louis Louis so many times before it gets work out.

"Not enough hand holds below"?

Grab this.

It's got overhangs to grab hold of.

I love her lines, however I find the interior a little disappointing; but I suppose it's lightweight.

I always thought Gaudeamus, an Arvid Lauren design, a nice boat but there were few good pictures to really get a good impression.

Gaudeamus:

1965-Henningsen & Stekmest, Kappeln, Germany. Measures: 14,3 (12,8) X 3,8 X 1,9

Many years she held the 'Blue Ribbon' from Canary Islands to the West Indies of 15 days. (Photo: baum+koenig@classic-yachts.de)

post-50708-0-08962200-1378543124_thumb.jpg

Now they build a replica.... Gaudeamus II....

post-50708-0-19118100-1378544457_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-19651800-1378543477_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-99782800-1378543676_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-91268900-1378543783_thumb.jpg

More pictures in the link.

http://www.yacht.de/multimedia/galerie/die-neue-alte-von-der-schlei/a81989.html

Uuuhhm... that is Arvid Laurin. got the name missspelled.

More of Arvid: Julle III.

post-50708-0-70113100-1378554391_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-48759700-1378554443_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-56385700-1378554511_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-73257100-1378554541_thumb.jpg

The marina and boatyard Henningsen Steckmest opens the season starts on 10.03.2013 from 11 - 16:00 clock the gates of the yard and offers numerous yachts on:

• Under construction is a classic 45-foot double-ender is in mahogany. After a crack of Laurin at Henningsen Steckmest built in 1965 Laurin 45 served as a model for the current building, which was drawn by Georg Nissen.

http://www.scalaryachten.de/cms/de/start/

Very attractive boats. They do show the price you pay in freeboard for having that clean flush deck. In some ways they remind me of the boat I am doing for my Swedish client. But I chose lower freeboard and a traditional cabin trunk. That second example of that yard's work shows an attempt to lower the visual sheer by using a "false sheer" with a heavily roilled deck edge to gain height for headroom under the flush deck.

post-2980-0-96514600-1378570598_thumb.jpg

Bob,

Simply love your Swede to be, but wouldn't mind seeing a flushed deck version at all though.

I like those clean decks; look at the differences between the flushed decked Kaskelots and the ones with cabin/small deckhouse of designer Peter Bruun. The ones with deckhouse/cabin have 10 cm less freeboard I understand.

Not so good pictures, sorry.

post-50708-0-86164700-1378571937_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-97130100-1378571995_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-31244200-1378572018_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-00411800-1378572090_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-40348200-1378572187_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-10966700-1378572241_thumb.jpg

post-50708-0-78684100-1378573142_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-16132600-1378573203.jpg

HASYB:

I like all of those boats and particularily the dark blue hull with the longer cabin trunk. I have never heard of this designer before and I have heard of most. I wonder why I have never seen his work before. Maybe I have. Has he doine any production boats? I can think of an old half tonner double ender, outboard rudder, that looks like his work.

My Swedish client wants lots of ventillation so I don;t think a flush deck would work for him. We have changed the design and gone to a more traditional treatment of the cockpit coaming. I don;lt have a current rendering of the new coaming version.

post-2980-0-02788700-1378573664_thumb.jpg

Again, love the Swede and hope she will be build anytime soon.

Peter Bruun also did the Grinde which I'm sure you saw before.

post-50708-0-70489800-1378575439_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-15701500-1378575485_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-14027400-1378575510_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-97856300-1378575538_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-05531400-1378575557_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-13638400-1378575589_thumb.jpg

Pictures are from the Danish Grinde club website.

Peter Bruun's website: http://www.peterbruun.dk/

HASYB:

Yep, that's the boat I had in mind. I really like that boat.

Have you checked out the SLIVER Class double ender on this forum> You might like it.

We are finalizing specs for the Swedish boat. Now we have to choose a builder.

^^^ + 13! ( seconds it took to them to round, hoist and drop.)

HASYB:

Have you checked out the SLIVER Class double ender on this forum> You might like it.

Ha... for sure I'm familiar with this super slender sled: Hate it.

Seriously: very, very exiting project; not only in design but also the build. Respect!

I've previously commented in the Sliver thread after which Kim invited me over to sail her and you even invited me "to let me stay at your shag" as you put it. Which left me a little uncomfortable with all the hospitality and kindness offered.

Later I found out that many boats you designed were already high on my list of "seriously seaworthy & beautiful" decennia ago.

Surely hope to come over sailing "Francis Lee" one day.

OK enough... but not without a another nice cool Swede.

post-50708-0-30394800-1378640562_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-08535700-1378640592_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Hielan

Someone has a love-hate relationship with overhangs.

1187153_604980389525044_129388558_n.jpg

It would have to be a hate-love relationship, unless the boat was going the other way.

Great looking boat though. What is?

FB- Doug

HASYB:

Seriously: very, very exiting project; not only in design but also the build. Respect!

I've previously commented in the Sliver thread after which Kim invited me over to sail her and you even invited me "to let me stay at your shag" as you put it. Which left me a little uncomfortable with all the hospitality and kindness offered.

Later I found out that many boats you designed were already high on my list of "seriously seaworthy & beautiful" decennia ago.

attachicon.gifNajaden 1.jpgattachicon.gifNajaden 2.jpg

Cheers, Hielan

I love the scale of this boat; she looks to be 60s with her hanks and mitre cut genoa. I wonder how long she is?

Any more details?

It would have to be a hate-love relationship, unless the boat was going the other way.

FB- Doug

Very sweet. Look how carefully he has furled his sails and adjusted the topping lifts to look right.

[As I've pointed out before]

Plum bow & counter stern a hull style of some vintage. E.g. Marigold, from 1892 and Partridge, built 1885.

Luxury-yacht-Marigold-Photo-by-RolexCarl

PartridgeVSR.jpg

^^^ COOL! i like it!

^^^ + 13! ( seconds it took to them to round, hoist and drop.)

Thanks! we were really happy with the sets.

Biggest factor slowing the drop of the genoa is the spinnaker against the forestay. The risk of tearing the kite by the hanks on the jib was the main problem. During the end of the week we really figured it out, which saved probably another 1 to 2 sec. But we got a lot of compliments on our manouvres.

Tom:

I really like the look of that boat. The plum stem, counter stern thing works well for my eye. Not too keen on the paint job though.

HASYB:

Oh yeah, I remember. You can still stay at the shack. Just bring a can of Amphora Brown(regular) with you and you will be very welcome.

Thanks a lot for showing me these boats. They inspire me.

post-2980-0-74246300-1378659509_thumb.jpg

FB- Doug

She is Bryony, designed by Jim Franken and built by the NW School, launched in 1983.....

It seems to be the way high performance Spirit of Tradition boats have been going. Like this from Reichel and Pugh:

115+classic+racer_booklet_v1+5_1-001.jpg

So, is there a functional reason for the long stern overhang?

It seems to be the way high performance Spirit of Tradition boats have been going. Like this from Reichel and Pugh:

115+classic+racer_booklet_v1+5_1-001.jpg

So, is there a functional reason for the long stern overhang?

Well.....it's a place to land the standing backstays.......and besides the funny little doghouse, it's what gets her into "Spirit of Tradition" class.....

Out for a daysail a few years ago, I sailed by a boat of the British plumb bow, stern overhang type anchored in Darien. It must have been 80' long, and every detail was gorgeous, except the ratty blue jeans on the hand who seemed to be the only one aboard. A very impressive yacht.

That R/P boat is stupd looking

There is no grace in that.

There is no harmony of line in that.

Stupid.

Stupid.

Stupid.

It's just big.

Bryony is one of my favorite boats. I remember drooling over her in a WoodenBoat calendar years ago. I didn't know she was built by the school. I could definitely see myself in a smaller version of that boat.

Bryony is one of my favorite boats. I remember drooling over her in a WoodenBoat calendar years ago. I didn't know she was built by the school. I could definitely see myself in a smaller version of that boat.

Call Jim Franken, he will be happy to design you any size Bryony you want........

FB- Doug

She is Bryony, designed by Jim Franken and built by the NW School, launched in 1983.....

My answer to Doug's question was going to be, "some boat porn I found on the Woodenboat Facebook feed."

Thanks for the real answer.

That R/P boat is stupd looking

There is no grace in that.

There is no harmony of line in that.

Stupid.

Stupid.

Stupid.

It's just big.

+2

What to the gathered wise ones make of this Swede, drawn by Rolf Jakobsson in 1971? A complete lack of sheer, as far as I can see. Masts apparently made of stainless steel (sic).

www.hardshipii.com

post-38-0-85259200-1378720144_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-05947700-1378720227_thumb.jpg

HASYB:

attachicon.gifNajaden 1.jpgattachicon.gifNajaden 2.jpg

Cheers, Hielan

I love the scale of this boat; she looks to be 60s with her hanks and mitre cut genoa. I wonder how long she is?

Any more details?

Trickypig,

The boat was for sale a little while ago in Sweden but forgot to write down the details: could remember 1948 and 44ft though.

Did a brief search on http://www.sjohistoriska.se/sv/Fordjupning/Samlingar/ and came up with this:

post-50708-0-31372100-1378719801_thumb.jpg

Guess this must the boat, so there you go.

Some interior pictures:

post-50708-0-12517800-1378720122_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-41343100-1378720156_thumb.jpg

Bob: Thanks, no worries about the Amphora.

Bonus from Australia: Swanson 37

post-50708-0-35159200-1378721272_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-55201100-1378721358_thumb.jpg

Trickypig:

Forget what I said previously about Najaden; some more search on the mentioned site provided the following:

Objekt Fartyg/Båt Ändamål Fritidsbåt Framdrivningssätt Segel Båtnamn/Typnamn NAJADEN (och JANE) Båttyp Havskryssare Konstruktör Améen, Åke Beställare Almers År 1948
Teknisk Båt/Fartygsinformation Bredd(meter) 2,75 Segelarea 61,5 kvm Arkivinformation Museum Sjöhistoriska museet Accessionsnummer 2008:22:67 Samling Museiföreningen Sveriges Fritidsbåtar: Åke Améen

post-50708-0-06672100-1378732787_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-90882100-1378732805_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-15684700-1378732818_thumb.jpgpost-50708-0-22487100-1378732833_thumb.jpg