Sailbydate

Coolboats to admire

2 hours ago, kinardly said:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty certain I learned in school that standard glass will not transmit UV. That's why solariums use fused quartz or plexi. Any "glass" glasses should protect against UV. Of course they might be heavy as hell and look like crap but I'll defer to the opthalmologist who commented earlier on this one if he still thinks it matters. I don't know if plastic lenses have the same effect on UV transmission, probably not. Also, I think the only thing polarizing should do is reduce incoherent glare which, I doubt, has much effect on reducing retinal damage. 

Most common glasses will transmit well below 400nm wavelength and aren't protective enough.

On 11/26/2018 at 1:49 AM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

That was Victoria after bringing her back from Hawaii.  She's since been sold - to some guy on the east coast.  Connecticut I think.  Last I heard he's making some big changes;  including a taller, carbon mast.  Very nice boat.  

I've seen her here off Stamford, CT.

On 11/26/2018 at 1:37 AM, Trickypig said:

Unmistakably S&S and Ummistakenly cool.

I remember when the owner in Seattle let his daughter Kate race her to Hawaii, pretty damned cool for an old lead mine.

2 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

I remember when the owner in Seattle let his daughter Kate race her to Hawaii, pretty damned cool for an old lead mine.

Wasn't she the first woman skipper to win (class) Transpac?  1977?  That is also pretty cool.  I knew her along time before that in a different realm, haven't seen her since early 70's.  Nice person.

5 hours ago, Jammer Six said:

That can't be right. Don't know anything about that, but something looks seriously broken there.

Or retracted may be?

7 hours ago, Ishmael said:

vXENKCZ.jpg

9lVpSpR.jpg

Looks very British too me. Do you know her history?

Is that an old fishing or oyster smack? I didn’t know we were doing wooden workboats here. I took these last Sunday of the Schooner Nina on the hard for a short haul prior to running South for the winter. The lady stripped and refinished the Spars and her man has been busy looking cool.

Cross planked

No retractable bowsprit or the heavy gear associated with one...

B37D675A-B4D6-48F6-B749-7BE3BE76D1F4.jpeg

27430224-600E-43A7-8FDE-624F315D6266.jpeg

DEB8327B-8608-4102-94A2-06659AF1176D.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Panoramix said:
8 hours ago, Jammer Six said:

That can't be right. Don't know anything about that, but something looks seriously broken there.

Or retracted may be?

SH-sh-sh! No hints, now...... his little gears are turning, it's good exercise

FB- Doug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Is that an old fishing or oyster smack? I didn’t know we were doing wooden workboats here. I took these last Sunday of the Schooner Nina on the hard for a short haul prior to running South for the winter. The lady stripped and refinished the Spars and her man has been busy looking cool.

Cross planked

`now THAT is a bowsprit!

Carlotta is a proper Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter. Quite a small one I think - I think I saw her in Gloucester Docks at Nielsen’s yard earlier this year. Built c 1890. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Carlotta is a proper Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter. Quite a small one I think - I think I saw her in Gloucester Docks at Nielsen’s yard earlier this year. Built c 1890. 

https://carlottapilotcutter.com/

carlotta-pilot-sailing-004-1150x1150.jpg

carlotta-pilot-sailing-014.jpg

Built and designed by W.H Halford Gloucester, England

Built: 1899
Length on Deck: 50 ft
Beam: 13 ft
Displacement: 28 Tonnes
Draught: 8 ft

Video found here: https://oga.org.uk/boat/carlotta

carlotta-oga469.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Cross planked

That's reminiscent of how a Skipjack is put together, although w/significantly more rocker in the bottom. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Ed said:

She gets around. I shot those photos in 2014 at a marina in Powell River.

I see Leeroy's post clears up a lot of history.

6 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

That's reminiscent of how a Skipjack is put together, although w/significantly more rocker in the bottom. 

I am not sure she will run anywhere, more like crawl slowly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

SH-sh-sh! No hints, now...... his little gears are turning, it's a pointless exercise

FB- Doug

FIFY.

1 hour ago, Jammer Six said:

No way!

A wooden retractable bowsprit?

If that's not it, I'm not going to get it.

Im amazed as well.  I had no idea.  :D

You guys need to get out more - they've been retracting bowsprits for a long time - since carbon was only a waste product of cooking fires.

They also have had bowsprits that steeved up for a long time. Saves on those pesky moorage charges.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 11:00 AM, Bull City said:

image.png.93614c994acff668b865b66ff5ef02bd.png

image.png.dda47bf286b416d8c55fa5a9f8fd6191.png

image.png.b1135882332ad97a1a5277a4607b2b78.png

image.png.c6b291162297e63bd4001acf8bc21d14.png

Finished painting, 

1506215862_SBoat.thumb.jpg.93cb375636fbe47b8e2efe0153f5f34e.jpg

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Jammer Six said:

I did a double take for a second as well, but then I remembered what happens when you put them in really cold water. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

That is a wonderful piece of art!

Thanks, Beer. It makes me want to go sailing.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 12:46 PM, viktor said:

That looks a lot like a scow schooner designed by R D Culler.   https://store.mysticseaport.org/ships-plans/45-scow-schooner.html

Was told the design was on Pete Culler’s desk when he passed. Built 1986 by Joel White at the Venerable Brooklin Boat yard. 

Not crosspkanked, rather herringbone planked with 3” planking and 13 topside planks to the sheer. Designed as a cruiser...

• Like 1

Two cold molded wooden sloops I admire. Similar dimensions (both 36' ers) and accommodations, by two well respected Kiwi designers. 

But one is MUCH prettier than the other - to my eye at least.

875850532.jpg

305667B1-7FA1-11E6-9F8907B2CC4DDCAA-detail-small.jpg

• Like 1

Wrong. 

The second one is low in the transom at anchor.

But your eye is off again as usual 

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Two cold molded wooden sloops I admire. Similar dimensions (both 36' ers) and accommodations, by two well respected Kiwi designers. 

875850532.jpg

Sail, you know I love those cold molded Kiwi boats.  Any more?

7 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

875850532.jpg

What’s the lower one?

1 hour ago, Trickypig said:

one of my favourite boats.

Was the old Pendragon at the CYCA a Townson?

12 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

875850532.jpg

I like Lochiel. Though I would prefer more side decks, but she has a balanced look about her  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Here she is on her lines. That’s an attractive yacht.

ABDF4CE0-19A6-45AF-A1C1-677CF85B3A36.jpeg

The purposeful sheer is a bit Laurent  Giles-like. Very nice. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

I like Lochiel. Though I would prefer more side decks, but she has a balanced look about her  

Impressive build quality, by the look. Check out some of these accommodation pics. For Sale: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1780828407

875850626.jpg

Bloody shame we decimated the Kauri forests of NZL, back in the 19th/early 20th Century.

It's such lovely wood to work and treasure.

19 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Was the old Pendragon at the CYCA a Townson?

She is a Stewart 34 but you can see the Kiwiness of it.

There is another of those Townsend 36 (I thought it was 37 though) in Sydney called Windflyt. It's immaculate and raced a lot too.

22 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

She is a Stewart 34 but you can see the Kiwiness of it.

There is another of those Townsend 36 (I thought it was 37 though) in Sydney called Windflyt. It's immaculate and raced a lot too.

I stopped every time I walked past that boat...

Found this cool boat online.   Enjoy.

HERO - BRAVA Built 1980 at Minneford Yacht Yard, USA 
Designer: Vittori Vallicelli, Rome Italy 

One Off Design Measuring Under IMS Rules The boat is launched for the first time in Venice 1981. 

She has raced under the Italian flag in 1981, 82 and 83 both in the Admirals Cup and the Sardinia Cup. 

She won the Sardinia Cup in 1982 and 1983 as well as the Admirals Cup 1983 and was therefore chosen as Italy's best boat in its class. 

She won 1984 Gotland Runt, Åland Sea Race and Öland Runt.

She also participated in the Admirals Cup 1985 under the Irish flag. 

She also won Class 1 Gotland Around 1985, 86 and 87 

https://www.blocket.se/vi/77619251.htm

5725182590.jpg

5760467852.jpg

5765027508.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/9/2018 at 6:36 AM, Sailbydate said:

Bloody shame we decimated the Kauri forests of NZL, back in the 19th/early 20th Century.

It's such lovely wood to work and treasure.

Is that a slow growing tree?   I remember reading about the Kauri logging industry in Woodenboat Mag a while back.

- Stumbling

3 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Yup, that's cool. I like the owner's enclosure: don't let the workers get too close to the helmsman, eh?

And every crew member has at least one winch to spin!   Keeps them too busy to ask embarrassing questions, like "do you know where we are suppose to go?"

- Stumbling

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Found this cool boat online.   Enjoy.

HERO - BRAVA Built 1980 at Minneford Yacht Yard, USA 
Designer: Vittori Vallicelli, Rome Italy 

One Off Design Measuring Under IMS Rules The boat is launched for the first time in Venice 1981. 

She has raced under the Italian flag in 1981, 82 and 83 both in the Admirals Cup and the Sardinia Cup. 

She won the Sardinia Cup in 1982 and 1983 as well as the Admirals Cup 1983 and was therefore chosen as Italy's best boat in its class. 

She won 1984 Gotland Runt, Åland Sea Race and Öland Runt.

She also participated in the Admirals Cup 1985 under the Irish flag. 

She also won Class 1 Gotland Around 1985, 86 and 87 

https://www.blocket.se/vi/77619251.htm

Well she may measure under the IMS rule but she is unmistakably IOR.

I think what made these +40 foot IOR boats pretty were flush decks and those drawn out transoms. They also had plenty of rig in them which also makes a boat pretty.

Perhaps as a general rule of thumb it may be easier to stuff up a boats lines with a coach house? ie a flush deck is pretty now the challenge is to put a cabin on it. 

• Like 3

IMS didn't exist when she was launched in '81.

Gorgeous boat.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

IMS didn't exist when she was launched in '81.

Gorgeous boat.

Yea, I realize that.  I was just translating the text on the for sale ad that was in Swedish.  :)

12 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Yea, I realize that.  I was just translating the text on the for sale add that was in Swedish.  :)

Though its direct predessor, MHS, was around by then.  I raced the fall of 1982 on the Chesapeake Bay on an 1977 S&S 46 foot custom IOR boat that was almost untouchable under MHS...

16 minutes ago, Crash said:

Though its direct predessor, MHS, was around by then.  I raced the fall of 1982 on the Chesapeake Bay on an 1977 S&S 46 foot custom IOR boat that was almost untouchable under MHS...

I wish we could see the underbody of this boat.  It has an impressive list of wins.  Just curious.

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

I wish we could see the underbody of this boat.  It has an impressive list of wins.  Just curious.

I doubt it would look noticeably different than any other hot 45' from the era. IOR boats were much of a muchness except for a few outliers that seldom won much. Whenever a biggish difference showed up - like the board boats - they were outlawed or heavily penalized pretty quickly. A boat that could win for a period of years had to fit the mould reasonably closely.

23 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Is that a slow growing tree?   I remember reading about the Kauri logging industry in Woodenboat Mag a while back.

- Stumbling

The thousand-year old ones were well prized, but so were the rickers (for spars).

Tane Mahuta the forest god.

Estimated age between 1250-2500 years.

Unfortunately now the species is severely under threat from Kauri die back .

A soil born microscopic pathogen/ fungus that if left unchecked will decimate this ancient tree.

tane-mahuta-1920.thumb.jpg.63aa9af906b4b7c2400094edf6123b0f.jpg

• Like 3

This somehow landed in the LONQR but I think it's cool.

20 hours ago, VWAP said:

Super_Pram_nested.jpg

• Like 2

Who puts teak decking on a "lightweight carbon fibre (sic) construction" dinghy?

1 hour ago, IStream said:

Who puts teak decking on a "lightweight carbon fibre (sic) construction" dinghy?

Sorry mate, but that's how the rest of the world spells fibre. But yes, to the incongruity of materials. 

58 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

'...But yes, to the incongruity of materials.' 

Does that make it 'composit'?

I think that nested dinghy is cool.  I considered it for a tender, but ended going with traditional RIB.

5 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Sorry mate, but that's how the rest of the world spells fibre. But yes, to the incongruity of materials. 

You may have invented it, but we're in the process of perfecting it...:lol:

That and the "container boat" are, by far, my least favourite Perryboats.

I hope the clients were happy with them.

2 hours ago, fufkin said:

What's next? Worst albums by the greatest musicians?

Thats a LONNGGG list.

Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door

Rolling Stones - Dirty Work

bla bla bla bla...  :D

39 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Thats a LONNGGG list.

Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door

Rolling Stones - Dirty Work

bla bla bla bla...  :D

Nice. I looked at a couple of Rolling Stone Mag type 'worst of best' lists and, problem is, I actually don't mind some of the albums on the list. Guess I wouldn't make much of a music critic. Dirty Work made the cut though.

American Prayer-The Doors...got short shrift from the critics...I happen to think it's one of their best...Dylan and the Dead is unlistenable...Soul to Soul by SRV is one of his worst but better than most blues guitarists will ever come close to.

But time to get back on track and admire some cool boats.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

20 minutes ago, fufkin said:

Nice. I looked at a couple of Rolling Stone Mag type 'worst of best' lists and, problem is, I actually don't mind some of the albums on the list. Guess I wouldn't make much of a music critic. Dirty Work made the cut though.

American Prayer-The Doors...got short shrift from the critics...I happen to think it's one of their best...Dylan and the Dead is unlistenable...Soul to Soul by SRV is one of his worst but better than most blues guitarists will ever come close to.

But time to get back on track and admire some cool boats.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice looking hull.   The cabin is kinda odd looking.  Definitely looks added on.  Or is that something else?

Cabin is all part of the original design, a custom Frers 48 aluminum build. The cabin actually carries forward further than it looks in the photos though it's obscured a little. 

Here's a listing with some interior shots that'll give you a better idea of the deckhouse construction, though the listing's photos still don't have any decent exterior shots of the cabin/deckhouse.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/29656

3 minutes ago, fufkin said:

Cabin is all part of the original design, a custom Frers 48 aluminum build. The cabin actually carries forward further than it looks in the photos though it's obscured a little. 

Here's a listing with some interior shots that'll give you a better idea of the deckhouse construction, though the listing's photos still don't have any decent exterior shots of the cabin/deckhouse.

Interesting....  I like it.

9 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Nice cruiser from out West.

70068A4E-9D70-4470-93CC-D5B7C95E0049.jpeg

That reminds me of WillP's design: flush deck where that's a good idea, side decks where those are a good idea.

I still think it looks funny, possibly even Admirable. But it makes a lot of sense.

There are a few subtle elements to this design, the wide main cabin leads to two forward facing windows, so you have a de facto pilot house boat in a conventional cabin design.

• Like 1

That's the maxi trailerable boat KIYI I did for Dick Philbrick one of the original owners of the Seaborn design SEA FEVER. Dick wanted the biggest boat he could trailer. He trailered that boat to Florida and then to Maine.  He loved that boat. The cabin trunk is weird but the boat has a raised dinette and Dick wanted to be able to see forward from the dinette. It wasn't just a product of my whim. It works and gives Dick what he wanted. I did the PNW CCA cruise with Dick one summer, without an engine. We had a blast. Te boat sails very well. The open transom was a very rare feature in the early 70's. At 10,000 lbs it was also quite light for its time. Dick kept the boat for the rest of his life. In terms of client appreciation, and that's all that counts, I would consider this one of my best designs.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Nice cruiser from out West.

70068A4E-9D70-4470-93CC-D5B7C95E0049.jpeg

Easy dinghy access

swiveling captain’s helm seat

lots of interior light 

I want to see more of this one from a different angle. Obviously a big girl.

Not big at all Beer. Beam at 10' and 10,000 lbs displ. I could not care less what CA'ers think of this boat. It was designed with specific requirements and it tuned out to be an outstanding, if odd looking, boat. Maybe I'll post the drawings. 

• Like 1

Wow! I didn’t know that boat was so old or trailerable!!! 10,000lbs?!

So the client was happy with what he got based on his vision of what he wanted..go figure. That pisses a couple of folks off here.

Cool as shit boat. Thanks AlR for pointing this one out and  sorry I can’t offer a better description of the bow sections-I’m not a designer...but I know it has a similar shape to my Hereshoff low in the bow

KIYI was designed in 1980.

Frac rig with swept back spreaders. Not very common in 1980.

Forward sections are very U shaped. I can't image they are even close to a Hereshoff's bow sections.

I met Dick up in Friday harbor to go for a sail. He backed the boat up to the dock, under sail, I stepped onto the boat through the transom door and off we went. Me driving and Dick sitting with his Samoyed in his lap both of them singing.

You can't see it in this photo but the self tacking jib track runs from rail to rail. We attached the outboard end of the track to the stanchions. Of course the downside is that you have to step over the track when you go forward but Dick anchored fro the stern and had little reason to go forward. The wide jib track worked very well. Far better than those limited by the width of the cabin top.

8 hours ago, fufkin said:

That seems like a heck of a lot of boat for the money!  I like the deck.  Interior is almost too nice.  Too deep for my corner of the world.

• Like 1