Sailbydate

Coolboats to admire

6 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

A few weeks ago I was in a race with boats ranging back over 100 years, many of them purpose built race boats, that still have people who love and care for them, that still provide fast cruising when not being raced, and that draw crowds of admirers

Good article in most recent Wooden Boat about a couple moving from a Swan 38 to a Concordia yawl. It included some remarkable comparisons of their specs.

1 minute ago, Santana20AE said:

You keep safe, Dorian passed us by but is heading your way.

Thank you, Santana. We are a bit inland, so it should be a non-event for us.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Good article in most recent Wooden Boat about a couple moving from a Swan 38 to a Concordia yawl. It included some remarkable comparisons of their specs.

A Concordia, lovely as they are, would not be my choice. The NYYC 32? Now that's a boat. 

I keep my boat a couple of miles from Woodenboat, their students regularly roam the docks at Brooklin. If I'm alongside I, when convenient, invite them aboard. 

6 hours ago, Veeger said:

Hauled out in a cheap yard someplace, totally ignored until the storage fees rack up far beyond the price of a chainsaw and dumpster.

Or bolted to a shed wall somewhere.... ;-)

11 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I wonder what the future holds for that boat?

It hits a whale at 30kts and breaks into a million tiny pieces that eventually wash up on beaches around the world.  The whale is fine.  

21 hours ago, socalrider said:

It hits a whale at 30kts and breaks into a million tiny pieces that eventually wash up on beaches around the world.  The whale is fine.  

Nope. That whale will be well and truly fensed, sliced and diced. ;-)

I ran across this photo on the NW School of Wooden Boat Building website. In the foreground is a Rozinante they are building on spec., priced at $52 boat bucks, which seems like a no-brainer. Behind, is Dark Harbor 17 1/2 they are building for a sailor in New Zealand. There's an article about the boat in the current Wooden Boat issue (#270). I want both.

NWSWBB.thumb.jpg.9af7ecda440d43d770a901eec355e0f8.jpg

• Like 1

This could have gone in either 'Show your boat sailing' or this, but the HR Rasmus is a cool boat.

A friend who owns one was cruising in Maine last week, up from NYC. With only a vague communication on his location, I went out solo last weekend on a hunch where he might be. Intuition, local knowledge etc. I stumbled on he and a friend raising sails in Perry Creek. Not know it was me, I shadowed them, taunted actually, until they realized who is was. Both under sail, I motioned with camera and hand signals, I was there to shoot them. 

They were headed downeast so I led through the narrow sticky wicket off Grindstone Ledge in the Fox Island Thoroughfare. Stiff beam reach, flat water, we off like 2 shots. 

My eye on, buoys, lens focus, holding course (wheel behind my back), I wanted to get both boats in the frame. I also caught the Fox Island turbines. Fitting, we all had the wind by the tail. 

1614629530_Bradenfar_.thumb.jpg.00587aa2c56953861295014c64aad752.jpg 

Letting genoa luff I was a tad slower. On they came,...

429043582_Bradencrop_.thumb.jpg.fe465f406ce2c97f5dc3d30707bcb6f1.jpg

His friend on the helm of the Rasmus was good and fearless. Closer we came,...

913656765_Bradenclose.thumb.jpg.af13107e586c68b7047ae9917d842fd5.jpg

And finally, together. 

1794832778_Bradenclosest_.thumb.jpg.299ea555cdd02490a9e18ee7c0b86535.jpg

We only had time for a handful of words. But we'll remember the tandem sail. 

• Like 3

On 9/7/2019 at 5:56 PM, Bull City said:

I ran across this photo on the NW School of Wooden Boat Building website. In the foreground is a Rozinante they are building on spec., priced at $52 boat bucks, which seems like a no-brainer. Behind, is Dark Harbor 17 1/2 they are building for a sailor in New Zealand. There's an article about the boat in the current Wooden Boat issue (#270). I want both.

NWSWBB.thumb.jpg.9af7ecda440d43d770a901eec355e0f8.jpg

That Dark Harbor has got to be one of the sexiest day-sailors I've ever seen. 

On 9/7/2019 at 2:39 PM, Tanton Y_M said:

I do not know what she is?

20190907_142835_resized.jpg

Dragon class? Hull looks like, but the boom is vastly too long. Somebody trying a gaffer rig on one? Dragon:

CWB%20Dragon.jpg

34 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Dragon class? Hull looks like, but the boom is vastly too long. Somebody trying a gaffer rig on one? Dragon:

CWB%20Dragon.jpg

I believe it's a Herreshoff Half Rater

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

That Dark Harbor has got to be one of the sexiest day-sailors I've ever seen. 

Ain't she though.

Not a sailboat, but I think it's cool.

I sold a day sailer to a guy and helped him get it home. He wanted to show me one of the fishing dorys he builds.

146_7060.JPG

146_7061.JPG

146_7063.JPG

• Like 2

Wow.

He built this one for his wife, it has bits of walnut and purple heart. The photo doesn't do it justice.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

He built this one for his wife, it has bits of walnut and purple heart. The photo doesn't do it justice.

The photos look spectacular and yet I can completely believe that they don't do it justice.

• Like 1

It looks like a row/drift boat for fly fishing, but I'm usually wrong about these things.

17 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Is it a rowing boat Mr is there an engine hidden somewhere?

Row, will handle pretty decent whitewater, with the right person on the sticks.

Great fishing platform. Lots of storage for gear. Would be perfect for the trip I just did on the green.

14 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

It looks like a row/drift boat for fly fishing, but I'm usually wrong about these things.

Nope, you got it. They use these for fishing in the rough parts of western rivers, they handle white water quite well. I've seen some built of aluminum.

This one is really pretty I don't like to imagine it bashing into rocks going down the stream

FB- Doug

We have dories in Brittany (design was copied in Canada when Breton fishermen were fishing cod in Newfoundland) but ours are narrower and open deck.

882da367ef3c07a16aa4c935aaa150d3.jpg

It is interesting to see how the same boat has evolved in 2 different locations.

• Like 1

CANTY is a 1983 Henry Scheel design, owner built and still owned. 37' LOA, 9'9" beam cold moulded.

The tub behind her is AURORE out of Newport (which incidentally, ran her generator all night). 

Locals will recognize this harbor by the gratuitous Osprey with wings outspread, perched on the 'rock'. 

CANTY_.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 4:39 PM, Kris Cringle said:

CANTY is a 1983 Henry Scheel design, owner built and still owned. 37' LOA, 9'9" beam cold moulded.

The tub behind her is AURORE out of Newport (which incidentally, ran her generator all night). 

Locals will recognize this harbor by the gratuitous Osprey with wings outspread, perched on the 'rock'. 

CANTY_.jpg

Beautifully proportioned boat!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pipe Dream said:

Bolero replica (like all custom builds it is now a fraction of the cost of the construction)

3f4cd258e5d18f30f1168da543e5475f.jpg

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1985-alden-custom/OAG-AD-17673133/

http://svbolero.blogspot.com/p/history.html

I could live with her in my slip.  Maintaining her would be a BEAR, especially in southern climes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Santana20AE said:

I could live with her in my slip.  Maintaining her would be a BEAR, especially in southern climes 

That's what staff is for. Budget her initial cost every year for upkeep.

On 9/26/2019 at 12:06 PM, monsoon said:

Beautifully proportioned boat!

A little too much freeboard for my taste. And a bit more sheer spring maybe.

Yeah. If I'm going to be enslaved and bankrupted by a big, old wood boat it's gonna be a Rhodes or an S&S.

15 hours ago, Pipe Dream said:

Bolero replica (like all custom builds it is now a fraction of the cost of the construction)

http://svbolero.blogspot.com/p/history.html

Not by any stretch a replica of Bolero... doesn’t even look like Bolero, and of course she was designed by Alden and was originally a different name.  Looks very well cared for, although there are some weird aesthetic aspects to the boat that I personally don’t like.   

What impressed me was the light entering the cabin.  Too many boats I known and been aboard (including two of my own) have cabins that are very dark and cave like.  This craft’s cabin seems inviting and almost like being back on deck.  In looking at the pictures, the cabin front is a bit too forward leaving little deck space on the bow.  Still, I could live with her, providing the lottery winnings were big enough and the staff already well trained (and ready and willing to use a brush filed with varnish) 

In the background, Desperate Lark in her native environment, Horseshoe Cove, Maine. 1903 Herreshoff Bar Harbor 31. She goes upwind like a witch. 48' LOA, 32' LWL, 10.5' beam, 7.5' draft. A fixture at the ERR each year.

IMG_1004.thumb.jpg.caa05bf420ac3d036e4656cca4521d45.jpg

Wow, that Alden design (Bolero look alike - not), is really dated! I recognized the details, ports, stepped doghouse, house top radius, etc. Sure enough, it's Alden design # 948, from 1959. 1959 was a busy year and era for Alden Design of Boston Mass.  The next design, # 949 is my boat, also 1959.

The ports of course are a snap shot of Alden in 1959. 

352118650_Portshape.thumb.jpg.448342289dd36dff6cf628f8e892b6c4.jpg

And yes, as somebody mentioned, the light and view make this detail one of the best features of the boat. 

755175438_Galleysundogs.thumb.jpg.ff9bcd061dc5b1c418d88aa47705d3ef.jpg

If I wanted to cross oceans, I'd get a much, much bigger boat, with no ports but for coastal sailing, give me light and a saloon with a view. 

BOLERO 

824966136_BOLERO(1of1).thumb.jpg.395b508785c7bb62861dc3d01fac1d6e.jpg

• Like 4

the boat in the foreground is pretty sweet too!

IMG_1004.thumb.jpg.caa05bf420ac3d036e4656cca4521d45.jpg

Goddammit Kris, please don't post any more pics of your cabin.  paradoxically, it is so beautiful it makes me jealous and depressed!  :D

755175438_Galleysundogs.thumb.jpg.ff9bcd061dc5b1c418d88aa47705d3ef.jpg

• Like 3

A cool, handy, boat. 

A boat sailing into an anchorage catches my eye. But when the path in, is narrow - and dead to windward, this sight is a spectator sport for sailors.

In my case, I know how many things could(and have,...), go wrong. 

BUFFLEHEAD is not the kind of boat you expect to see pulling off this feat. A Bud McIntosh (I think) designed gaffer. After sailing through the gateway to Perry Creek, she hardens up to windward headed down the narrowing creek into the stuffed mooring field.

She pulls some sharp, fast tacks through the moored boats, with sure speed. Nimble sailboat. Shoaling is just off their starboard decks. 

1932801977_Buffleheadfallingoffforspeed._.thumb.jpg.ab58cb8a4de959c7ebe0a07565a12af0.jpg

On the final port tack just inside the channel, the crew wrung out another degree or two to windward by sheeting in - bar tight.

This final note, slowly,  shook the last of the old boats way, ...nearly out.....  The bow wave is disappearing.

The Captain has his eye and mind on his target ahead. 

1619490743_Buffleheadhardeningup._.thumb.jpg.e14978b4d688680a8ba5ec5a20735b16.jpg

Sails finally luff, the captain appears at the stem and stabs the mooring pendant just as BUFFLEHEAD kisses the mooring ball.

Dead center, perfect. The crew suddenly appears as well and has started dousing sails. 

1668048669_Snaggingthemooring._.thumb.jpg.daf0ad50ab27a469a44f27c8af88a81c.jpg

What's their secret? Experience I suspect. Doing some searching, I found the boat is a local daysailing charter.

And these old gaff rigged designs, self tending, originated to work under sail. They have some old tricks. 

A plus, the captain built the boat himself which must affect how you and the boat work together. Impressive to watch. 

782399917_Loweringsails._.thumb.jpg.d823c6469939d55b5765de74a2b7485d.jpg

The next morning looking back at BUFFLEHEAD (the nearest boat moored aft over dinghy), who would think the boat sailed into and up the narrow creek? 

1797544339_BuffleheadsailingintoPerryCreek1.thumb.jpg.50a19eaf78667dbb4d9a8a50e8ce131e.jpg

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

A cool, handy, boat. 

A boat sailing into an anchorage catches my eye. But when the path in, is narrow - and dead to windward, this sight is a spectator sport for sailors.

In my case, I know how many things could(and have,...), go wrong. 

BUFFLEHEAD is not the kind of boat you expect to see pulling off this feat. A Bud McIntosh (I think) designed gaffer. After sailing through the gateway to Perry Creek, she hardens up to windward headed down the narrowing creek into the stuffed mooring field.

She pulls some sharp, fast tacks through the moored boats, with sure speed. Nimble sailboat. Shoaling is just off their starboard decks. 

1932801977_Buffleheadfallingoffforspeed._.thumb.jpg.ab58cb8a4de959c7ebe0a07565a12af0.jpg

On the final port tack just inside the channel, the crew wrung out another degree or two to windward by sheeting in - bar tight.

This final note, slowly,  shook the last of the old boats way, ...nearly out.....  The bow wave is disappearing.

The Captain has his eye and mind on his target ahead. 

1619490743_Buffleheadhardeningup._.thumb.jpg.e14978b4d688680a8ba5ec5a20735b16.jpg

Sails finally luff, the captain appears at the stem and stabs the mooring pendant just as BUFFLEHEAD kisses the mooring ball.

Dead center, perfect. The crew suddenly appears as well and has started dousing sails. 

1668048669_Snaggingthemooring._.thumb.jpg.daf0ad50ab27a469a44f27c8af88a81c.jpg

What's their secret? Experience I suspect. Doing some searching, I found the boat is a local daysailing charter.

And these old gaff rigged designs, self tending, originated to work under sail. They have some old tricks. 

A plus, the captain built the boat himself which must affect how you and the boat work together. Impressive to watch. 

782399917_Loweringsails._.thumb.jpg.d823c6469939d55b5765de74a2b7485d.jpg

The next morning looking back at BUFFLEHEAD (the nearest boat moored aft over dinghy), who would think the boat sailed into and up the narrow creek? 

1797544339_BuffleheadsailingintoPerryCreek1.thumb.jpg.50a19eaf78667dbb4d9a8a50e8ce131e.jpg

Wonderful photo story, Kris!

I always enjoy your photography, but the documentation of the progression into the anchorage was extra special.

Thank you!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bryanjb said:

Reminds me of a Bob Perry boat cartoon. 

790B48E5-BC69-403B-A30F-B3FE0E96FAAC.jpeg

I'm not sure if that's a Great Harbor or a Florida Bay Coaster... both are similar 'little ships' for people who want max floor space on minimum marina bills.

We've had friends who lived aboard these boats but they didn't really cruise, most either stayed put or did a seasonal migration from a place up north for the summer and a place (always the same place too) down south for the winter. There are certainly worse ways to live.

FB- Doug

Says FloridaBayCoasters.com just aft of the lowest, aftmost opening port (window?)

• Like 1

Looks like a Jay Benford design.

Also reminds me of "Anacortes Flipper".

image.png.077301f9de6968c46eca1d571201adf3.png

10 hours ago, Bryanjb said:

My favorite part is the wind-up key on the top of the "stack". 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Crash said:

Says FloridaBayCoasters.com just aft of the lowest, aftmost opening port (window?)

That's kind of a give-away, huh

There was one of these designed big enough to carry a car on the cargo deck (bad idea IMHO) and then there's the much bigger one:

16 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Benford 55 Coaster, more room than my house.

Built in Auckland Johnstone Yachts International.

http://teddibearboat.com/

but given the characteristics and topweight, I wouldn't want to go to sea in one of these despite the size

FB- Doug

19 hours ago, Priscilla said:

It has a self cleaning anchor.  Useful where the anchorages have muddy bottoms.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slap said:
On 10/7/2019 at 12:07 PM, Priscilla said:

It has a self cleaning anchor.  Useful where the anchorages have muddy bottoms.

That must bash like a fiend in a head sea.

I doubt anyone would take that thing out in any sort of weather than a flat calm.

It looks slightly more seaworthy than a houseboat but only slightly.

On 10/2/2019 at 8:40 AM, eliboat said:

Not by any stretch a replica of Bolero... doesn’t even look like Bolero, and of course she was designed by Alden and was originally a different name.  Looks very well cared for, although there are some weird aesthetic aspects to the boat that I personally don’t like.   

BOLERO in name only. A nice boat though.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I doubt anyone would take that thing out in any sort of weather than a flat calm.

It looks slightly more seaworthy than a houseboat but only slightly.

I think there was one that 'inadvertently' took on some water (in the Chesapeake if I remember rightly!) with adverse results.  Not sure how that turned out for the owner vs the designer though....

On 10/1/2019 at 6:09 PM, Pipe Dream said:

On 10/8/2019 at 6:57 PM, SloopJonB said:

753080732_offsetcompanionway.thumb.png.98a4c29b9c7b635c7e69ef4e08216a20.png

• Like 2

On 10/7/2019 at 9:21 AM, Bryanjb said:

For a while Jimmy Buffet had the larger sibling, named Red Head

66XD7JGVFNEHPPIY3JYBFHJH3Q.gif

On 10/8/2019 at 7:17 PM, Rasputin22 said:

BOLERO in name only. A nice boat though.

I worked on Bolero about 20 years ago. No comparison 

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I worked on Bolero about 20 years ago. No comparison 

Sail,     

I saw BOLERO at an oyster house restaurant on the Cape Cod Canal I think not long after you guys finished that restoration. She looked flawless.

I went to high school in Long Beach CA and there was a snot nose kid in my class who looked like the epitome of the spoiled little privileged yacht club mommas boy complete with the sweater sleeves loosely tied around the neck. Everyone made fun of his snobbish ways but I got to talking about sailing with him and he mentioned his Dad's yacht club affiliation (LBYC?) and the 'family yacht'. I had just completed the US Navy Sailing Club qualifications for offshore sailing and which permitted me to reserve a Coronado 25 for a whole weekend for about $25 (fuel, ice and water included!) and sail over to Avalon which may have well been in the Hawaiian Islands to me at that age! I felt like my next step was winning the Congressional Cup (in fact my instructor at the NSC was none other than Henry Sprague who had just won the Cong Cup...) so I invited my new friend the yachty snotty to crew for me over to Catalina the next weekend. He just wiped his little turned up nose on his cardigan sweater sleeve and told me he was 'yachting with Daddy' that weekend. I said that it would just be us boys out on our own with no parental oversight and we might even be able to get some sailor outside the Navy Base gate to buy us a couple of six packs so we could really make a voyage out of the opportunity. He seemed a bit more interested and asked what sort of 'yacht' we would be sailing on and when I told him a mighty Coronado 25 (flagship of the NSC Long Beach fleet!) he just snickered and told me that the 'family yacht' was none other than BARUNA...

The only response I could come up with was to ask him if he had any sisters...

• Like 1

I guess if my Daddy owned Baruna I would think I would be a bit snobby-until someone wringed my neck with my cardigan sweater!

Baruna has such wonderful lines and proportioned perfectly. And Bolero lost  to her in the Newport Bermuda race if I remember correctly, so that speaks Volumes of the S&S design firm

• Like 1

Not to mention that 1/2 her name was contributed when Barient was formed to start making the best winches ever made.

The other 1/2 of the name came from another, not quite as gorgeous, boat named Orient.

• Like 4

A double ender like that is going to struggle once it gets over hull speed. That's why we tank tested my 42' DE powerboat. We had chines and that helped. I also put a slight hook in the run to reduce squatting. I did not want to resort to big planing "wings" Why do a double ender if you have to do that?

On 10/17/2019 at 10:36 AM, SloopJonB said:

Not to mention that 1/2 her name was contributed when Barient was formed to start making the best winches ever made.

The other 1/2 of the name came from another, not quite as gorgeous, boat named Orient.

Yeah, I got that story first hand from the little punk.

This was the best I could do to illustrate him but without the girl. If the kids old man was so damned rich what in the hell was he doing sending his son to a Long Beach public school?

Twitter-yachtclub.png

On 10/17/2019 at 10:49 AM, Rasputin22 said:

with the sweater sleeves loosely tied around the neck.

Now wait darn minute. I have done that on numerous occasions, and I am not a yachty. I have also tied my jacket sleeves around my waist (yes, I can do that) and let the rest of it hang over my bum.

:P

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I have also tied my jacket sleeves around my waist (yes, I can do that)

:P

You realize that you just admitted to being a knuckle dragger?

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

You realize that you just admitted to being a knuckle dragger?

It's amazing how versatile you can be when looking for a place to stow the unneeded sweater or jacket.

11 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

A double ender like that is going to struggle once it gets over hull speed. That's why we tank tested my 42' DE powerboat. We had chines and that helped. I also put a slight hook in the run to reduce squatting. I did not want to resort to big planing "wings" Why do a double ender if you have to do that?

Straight up one of the most bizarre boats I've

ever been aboard.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eliboat said:
21 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

ever been aboard.   

You know, I would not want to own that boat, but I like a lot about it's looks. It's graceful and looks like some element of nature. The hull color... nah, but you can't blame Bob for that....

And it runs nicely, almost level and not a huge wake.

FB- Doug

17 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

This wasn't really a cool boat, believe it or not, but it had a great stern and name, CHANCE. 

CHANCE.thumb.jpg.fd42562b79b7218cb8da09627fdb9aea.jpg

So, Kris....This teaser shot makes us “think” it might be a cool boat.  I sure would like to see the rest of it to better understand why it fails the ‘cool boat’ standard.....

I'm betting Kris could take a picture of my First 310 in that setting and make it look like a cool boat.  But that's just a tribute to his skills, rather that the (total lack of) coolness of my boat :lol:

17 hours ago, eliboat said:

ever been aboard.   

I'm betting someone involved is a big fan of the Bugatti Atlantic.

image.png.d4278853ee54237d78a87767ade17508.png

18 hours ago, eliboat said:

ever been aboard.   

Crikey is that a water operated piano being powered by individual key reverse venturi actioned through hull intakes.

Less risky and bulky as a Hydraulophone to have on your boat.

6 hours ago, Veeger said:

So, Kris....This teaser shot makes us “think” it might be a cool boat.  I sure would like to see the rest of it to better understand why it fails the ‘cool boat’ standard.....

Take a look at the odd shape of the coaming in the first pic. Didn't look right. The low cabin, even though I think it was a classic design, had no ports. Reminded me of crypt. 

This is the only other angle/element that inspired to take another photo. I liked this hinge on the boat,...

968450128_Mysteryboatcloseup.thumb.jpg.935fff3386833a060b5821afd507b0c5.jpg

I was thinking (based on that coaming) that it might be an Fishers Island 23.  It's a bit different but there's much to like.  I would call it a 'cool' boat...

Crusader was actually the only keel/centerboard version and was a little bit wider than the standard keel version.