Sailbydate

Coolboats to admire

What I find very interesting is the completely different kind of woods they used for building, such as spotted gum.

I had never heard of it before, only of the "northern hemisphere" woods such as oak, mahogany (well, you get my point, please, I know it doesn't grow it in Sweden...) etc...

For some cool for others not so cool.

250 years ago the Endeavour rocked up to Aotearoa NZ and crickey now she is back.

20191107-_dhw7403.thumb.jpg.d1112ee75807d48dafe69978f0bb8537.jpg

20191107-_dhw7479.thumb.jpg.635c3e732357c5fb117e1dc47590e664.jpg

20191106-_dhw7463.thumb.jpg.664315b7fbdcea23365f1dec37d563cc.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Matagi said:

What I find very interesting is the completely different kind of woods they used for building, such as spotted gum.

I had never heard of it before, only of the "northern hemisphere" woods such as oak, mahogany (well, you get my point, please, I know it doesn't grow it in Sweden...) etc...

The magnificent Pohutukawa English translation "Sprinkled by Spray" used mainly as grown knees in classic boatbuilding.

Hard as buggery to work but damned strong lumber.

Interestingly closely related to the Olive.

PohutukawaCornwallis.thumb.jpg.e9f61064966d02e2ad573190dbd72ca5.jpg

images.jpg.d27fb48422be5341022cfb3a58424804.jpg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Matagi said:

Spotted gum (corymbia maculata) is a very common tree along the E coast of Oz, and a common boatbuilding timber for framing, etc. We have several large ones in our garden, so named from their mottled bark, which it sheds every year (doing it now). They also have a shallow root ball, so prone to falling over in high winds!

Spotted gum.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Priscilla said:

For some cool for others not so cool.

250 years ago the Endeavour rocked up to Aotearoa NZ and crickey now she is back.

20191107-_dhw7403.thumb.jpg.d1112ee75807d48dafe69978f0bb8537.jpg

20191107-_dhw7479.thumb.jpg.635c3e732357c5fb117e1dc47590e664.jpg

20191106-_dhw7463.thumb.jpg.664315b7fbdcea23365f1dec37d563cc.jpg

British tourists!

Probably been a little busy hitting all the other hot spots in the past 250 years.  

Hell, they had to built a fresh Endeavor on which to make their grand return...

- Stumbling 

2 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

British tourists!

Probably been a little busy hitting all the other hot spots in the past 250 years.  

- Stumbling 

Well, the last one had this great gaping hole in the bottom. It wouldn't do for a second visit to the Great Barrier Reef which, if present trends continue, should not pose a threat to any future tourists, being completely dead and such.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Spotted gum (corymbia maculata) is a very common tree along the E coast of Oz, and a common boatbuilding timber for framing, etc. We have several large ones in our garden, so named from their mottled bark, which it sheds every year (doing it now). They also have a shallow root ball, so prone to falling over in high winds!

Spotted gum.jpg

Is it super hard and super heavy?

The only "gumwood" I've ever used was both - to extremes

4 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

British tourists!

- Stumbling 

Yup , tours are arranged by Mercury Transit Travel once every 250 years.

Online bookings for 2269 are now being taken.

https://www.space.com/mercury-transit-2019-has-begun.html?jwsource=cl

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Is it super hard and super heavy?

The only "gumwood" I've ever used was both - to extremes

Most  "gums" are heavy and hard, spotted gum is one of the heavier (sg~1.1), also hard and durable. There are hundreds of species in the eucalypt genus, lots of them good for boatbuilding.

I liked this boat. It's 82' long (which isn't what I like) but looks lower and sleeker than the 40 something footer next to it.

Low house, low freeboard and wide decks. 2002 Swan AQUILA charters for 25K/week. The other thing I liked is it sailed into Frenchboro 7-8 NM off Acadia National Park (background).

The button now pushed, the towering main is rolling up into the boom. 

1398433603_FrenchborobigboatAcadiabackground.thumb.jpg.60a52514efc9efcc304b1e7295797b85.jpg

The next day, they again went off under sail. Down wind likely to MDI, they pushed the other sail button and unrolled the genoa. Daysailer?

2070880590_Frenchborobigsailboat.thumb.jpg.7ad5d69d27a3cd80c586f4131576bd47.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

I liked this boat. It's 82' long (which isn't what I like) but looks lower and sleeker than the 40 something footer next to it.

Low house, low freeboard and wide decks. 2002 Swan AQUILA charters for 25K/week. The other thing I liked is it sailed into Frenchboro 7-8 NM off Acadia National Park (background).

The button now pushed, the towering main is rolling up into the boom. 

1398433603_FrenchborobigboatAcadiabackground.thumb.jpg.60a52514efc9efcc304b1e7295797b85.jpg

The next day, they again went off under sail. Down wind likely to MDI, they pushed the other sail button and unrolled the genoa. Daysailer?

2070880590_Frenchborobigsailboat.thumb.jpg.7ad5d69d27a3cd80c586f4131576bd47.jpg

Vive les boutons!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Boutons kaput = no sail.

Mais oui.

Was lucky to have Robert Perry as a guest speaker at a local CCA lunch complete with thumb drive visuals.  Talk about lots of cool boats to admire, really amazing how many different genres of cruising, racing, power boats he has drawn and his early hand drafted drawings are beautiful objects de art.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bull City said:
1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Boutons kaput = no sail.

Mais oui.

Merde!

Tabernac!

You Frog Cocksuckaires.

Don't most of these powered systems employ standard winches/windlasses that take manual handles just fine?

1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

Don't most of these powered systems employ standard winches/windlasses that take manual handles just fine?

Well, yeah, but that's work.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Well, yeah, but that's work.

The servants shall just have to rouse themselves. Point being, you aren't hard up Fecal Creek just because le bouton packs it in.

2 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

The servants shall just have to rouse themselves. Point being, you aren't hard up Fecal Creek just because le bouton packs it in.

Oh, STOP IT!  If le bouton no workie, the stewardess and chef will have to help.   Lunch will be late!

Obviously you have no sense of priorities...!

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 6:39 PM, Diarmuid said:

I believe that is Cthulhu.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1Zf2NlC-OoBfSMVzThve

Smart move, really. I mean ... you're hanging out with the fam at your private Seychelles island when His Squidness drags his vast dead bulk over the taffrail. You can had him a julep & show him this stylized marquetry portrait of Himself, ask him how things are going down in R'lyeh, private equity soul eating business been good, that sort of small talk.

Cheap insurance if you ask me. Elder Gods cannot be bargained with, but flattery  might work.

Important question. Is this the monster that Cartman befriends  in the “ Coon Trilogy “ to wreak havoc on the world ?

Cthulhu is H.P. Lovecraft isn't it?

Like it's what the Necronomicon releases from the other dimension or something?

19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Cthulhu is H.P. Lovecraft isn't it?

Like it's what the Necronomicon releases from the other dimension or something?

I believe this is correct.  Full disclosure:  I might be very wrong, as I refused to read much of Lovecraft because I couldn't "pronounce" Cthulhu" in my head.  And this was a long time ago.  So, yeah.

19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Kuh-thoo-loo

Uh-oh.  You said his name.  Now you've done it.

How about this one? I know nothing about it except it passed by me one day while I was sitting at anchor.

iWfTNF5.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

How about this one? I know nothing about it except it passed by me one day while I was sitting at anchor.

iWfTNF5.jpg

Nice looking cat-yawl (?). Paint scheme could be improved upon.

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

iWfTNF5.jpg

Now that looks like a very practical pocket cruiser.  

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

iWfTNF5.jpg

that is cool. those (i assume there is another one on the other side) strakes are odd.  They look wide enough to act as a step!

30 minutes ago, chester said:

that is cool. those (i assume there is another one on the other side) strakes are odd.  They look wide enough to act as a step!

They might well be steps.

ngYOdqD.jpg

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

iWfTNF5.jpg

Hmm... looks Bolgeresque, and I mean that as a compliment. Perhaps it had leeboards some time past?

FB- Doug

8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hmm... looks Bolgeresque, and I mean that as a compliment. Perhaps it had leeboards some time past?

FB- Doug

As soon as I saw the offset mizzen, I wondered if it was Bolger. Interesting idea on leeboards.

31 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Oooh ... betchyer right! Provoking the new question: What has it got now?

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:

iWfTNF5.jpg

I like it! It's tough to design a high-volume boat that looks clean. It looks relatively aerodynamic too. Too bad about the dinghy. Kinda ruins the picture.

• Like 1

That is a nice looking boat, wonder about the rub strake and the dip in the shear line.  Would certainly look a bit better if the shear carried to the Stern and the strake was full length higher up. Curious as to the design reasons.  A friend is working on a cat ketch next door I need to go see.  Seems like they check alot of boxes.

Is Rawhiti ownded by John B who always gives me shit for not heading west?  Kauri wood boats are pretty awesome.

1 minute ago, SASSAFRASS said:

That is a nice looking boat, wonder about the rub strake and the dip in the shear line.  Would certainly look a bit better if the shear carried to the Stern and the strake was full length higher up. Curious as to the design reasons.  A friend is working on a cat ketch next door I need to go see.  Seems like they check alot of boxes.

Is Rawhiti ownded by John B who always gives me shit for not heading west?  Kauri wood boats are pretty awesome.

No, he owns a Davidson 45’ ketch called Riada..

3 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

knew it was a R name... Big overhang classic hull right?

No he has two boats, the Davidson is a pretty conventional design.

then in his shed he has a beautiful original kauri Bailey gaffer, that’s the one with the overhangs.

trying to remember the name at the moment.

he posts here occasionally as JBE

Ok now I remember.  Think it's in the works after we get the surfer off to college.  She is pretty happy living on Carenero, not a long walk to the breaks.  Tassie will be for sure if we head that way.

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

She is a beauty.  Small enough to be manageable on the maintenance front.

True. On the other hand, it depends on the standard you want to maintain.

Here is the Flax 27. Clue is in the name. From Greenboats, Bremen.

3-flax27-e1568795401117.jpg?fit=640,300&

• Like 1

The Flax 27 looks a cracker sailer but bet it costs moonbeams and no room for a cup of tea and a snooze.

Bridge Point 24 .

562B862B-0185-45E5-BB3E-9BBB3B5EE5F6.jpeg.df9dc41afbaa5d4727b3c8318ffdf99e.jpeg

• Like 1

"then in his shed he has a beautiful original kauri Bailey gaffer, that’s the one with the overhangs."

Been in that shed quite a while....

74CE0693-FC7E-4098-980E-9B5C5A5BBC33.thumb.jpeg.bd73c3e73e70b193b134c1c5e9ae970b.jpeg

9 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

The rub strake would come in handy when tying to pilings.   I happen to like the broken sheer, it suits this boat and makes her unique.  

16 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Maybe a Sam Devlin design? Except I can't find it in his catalogue...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eliboat said:

The rub strake would come in handy when tying to pilings.   I happen to like the broken sheer, it suits this boat and makes her unique.  

Without that sheerline the boat would look ridiculously tall & fat

I thought it looked like a Roberts 36 that had been built & customized by a skilled & artistic person.

image.png.b1162404890c608b504a029803da9455.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Without that sheerline the boat would look ridiculously tall & fat

I thought it looked like a Roberts 36 that had been built & customized by a skilled & artistic person.

image.png.b1162404890c608b504a029803da9455.png

farharbor39-xxxpc.jpg

There was no way around this. I always liked this concept very much, btw.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 12:12 PM, chester said:

Some aspects are very Bolger-esque, others not so much. The strakes along the side look like leeboard guards, which would be very Bolger. So are the flush deck, the unstayed mizzen mast, the long boomkin, and the sprit boom. The bow and the deck house do not look Bolger to me. 

4 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

Some aspects are very Bolger-esque, others not so much. The strakes along the side look like leeboard guards, which would be very Bolger. So are the flush deck, the unstayed mizzen mast, the long boomkin, and the sprit boom. The bow and the deck house do not look Bolger to me. 

Bolger it is. I clipped the photo and sent it to Susanne asking if it was from the PB&F drawing board. Here is her reply (in part):

"This is Design # 464 “Willow”, measuring 30’ x 8’6” x 2’0” x 9000 lbs x 414 sq.ft plus 189 reaching spinnaker.
She was drawn with substantial leeboards to allow adequate upwind-performance beyond what her straight shallow keel would offer.
Why folks would leave these off is likely due to relative ignorance as to their function and use under sail – and their ‘alien’ appearance,"

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Anomaly2 said:

Bolger it is. I clipped the photo and sent it to Susanne asking if it was from the PB&F drawing board. Here is her reply (in part):

"This is Design # 464 “Willow”, measuring 30’ x 8’6” x 2’0” x 9000 lbs x 414 sq.ft plus 189 reaching spinnaker.
She was drawn with substantial leeboards to allow adequate upwind-performance beyond what her straight shallow keel would offer.
Why folks would leave these off is likely due to relative ignorance as to their function and use under sail – and their ‘alien’ appearance,"

I’m not surprised at all.  Thanks for this.  I went down a pleasant Bolger rabbit hole this morning while enjoying my coffee.  Bolger never got boring.  

• Like 2

I consider it to be one of the more attractive Bolger boats...even with leeboards.  It is not a design that has seen much publicizing.  Over the years I've seen a couple pictures and not much else.  I did pass her this spring in south Puget sound and was pleased to see her in use at least, if not under sail. 

30 minutes ago, Veeger said:

I consider it to be one of the more attractive Bolger boats...even with leeboards.  It is not a design that has seen much publicizing.  Over the years I've seen a couple pictures and not much else.  I did pass her this spring in south Puget sound and was pleased to see her in use at least, if not under sail. 

Bolger did a lot of real beauties. I love his designs although I have only owned a couple of his small boats. I went on a web pilgrimage this morning to collect & amass convincing photos of Bolger boats, but decided that brevity is virtue so here's one of my favorites, Chebacco

Jerome-1.jpg

pt17.jpg

Decades ago I built a copy of his "Shoebox" dinghy, without the breakdown into two pieces and with a couple of other things I added. The key to the design was the dimensions and the sliding seat so the rower could sit either in the middle or one end. Worked beautifully. I sent him pictures of my boat with an explanation and he wrote back a very nice letter saying that he made notes of my improvements (the way the oarlocks were mounted) and to please remind people that he designed more than just boxes.

FB- Doug

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Bolger did a lot of real beauties. I love his designs although I have only owned a couple of his small boats. I went on a web pilgrimage this morning to collect & amass convincing photos of Bolger boats, but decided that brevity is virtue so here's one of my favorites, Chebacco

Jerome-1.jpg

pt17.jpg

Decades ago I built a copy of his "Shoebox" dinghy, without the breakdown into two pieces and with a couple of other things I added. The key to the design was the dimensions and the sliding seat so the rower could sit either in the middle or one end. Worked beautifully. I sent him pictures of my boat with an explanation and he wrote back a very nice letter saying that he made notes of my improvements (the way the oarlocks were mounted) and to please remind people that he designed more than just boxes.

FB- Doug

Always makes me smile when I see the Chebacco.  I grew up about a half mile from Chebacco lake and I occasionally sailed there. Phil was also just down the road in Gloucester and was a prominent presence around town.   I remember when I was little, my piano teacher built some small Bolger design, and my dad would rib him about building such an ugly thing.  Despite my dad’s  opinion then, I always was attracted to the various Bolger boats that were tied to the docks around Cape Ann.  They were different, and always painted in bright colors.   Later on when I started building boats just after college, I built a few Gloucester Gulls for clients. That’s a sweet boat.  

5 minutes ago, eliboat said:

Later on when I started building boats just after college, I built a few Gloucester Gulls for clients. That’s a sweet boat.  

Did someone say Gloucester Gull? Saw this one the other day at the shipyard. It’s for sale. A sheerline that’ll make you smile:

FB1CF437-6706-47F7-8159-E406652D9389.jpeg

D6880566-731F-4EB7-9EFE-5F0CE3460FFD.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eliboat said:

Always makes me smile when I see the Chebacco.  I grew up about a half mile from Chebacco lake and I occasionally sailed there. Phil was also just down the road in Gloucester and was a prominent presence around town.   I remember when I was little, my piano teacher built some small Bolger design, and my dad would rib him about building such an ugly thing.  Despite my dad’s  opinion then, I always was attracted to the various Bolger boats that were tied to the docks around Cape Ann.  They were different, and always painted in bright colors.   Later on when I started building boats just after college, I built a few Gloucester Gulls for clients. That’s a sweet boat.  

Ah, the "ticket into Heaven."

I suspect that Phil would disapprove of my personal history, since I never bought a design from him... I did however buy all his books (new)

FB- Doug

On 11/15/2019 at 4:53 PM, Russell Brown said:

Where are the cool boats to admire?

Saw this today whilst out for a walk.

Looks abit sorry for itself in the back of the yard in Buckler's Hard: Silver apple of the Moon / Ron Holland 70's boat = super fkn cool 

Honest to god i just stared at it for ages and took lots of pics - an absolute work of art, beautiful shapes everywhere you looked and built of wood according to t'internet. The rudder blade had to be 7ft tall.

Definitely a cool boat.........................

IMG_20191117_124834.jpg

IMG_20191117_124824.jpg

IMG_20191117_124739.jpg

• Like 5

I can't remember is she's already featured in these illustrious pages, but on the topic of cool IORs, Police Car was right up there... though there is definitely work to do... Image may contain: sky, boat, cloud, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: ocean, boat, sky, outdoor and water

I thought someone bought Cop Car a couple of years ago and was bringing it back?

4 hours ago, rogerball0 said:

IMG_20191117_124834.jpg

IMG_20191117_124824.jpg

IMG_20191117_124739.jpg

Why did those things cost a quarter mil when I was 30 and now when I'm past being able to take them on they're virtually free ? :(

I thought the Boomers were "born at the right time"? Someone even wrote a book titled that.

4 hours ago, rogerball0 said:

Saw this today whilst out for a walk.

Looks abit sorry for itself in the back of the yard in Buckler's Hard: Silver apple of the Moon / Ron Holland 70's boat = super fkn cool 

Honest to god i just stared at it for ages and took lots of pics - an absolute work of art, beautiful shapes everywhere you looked and built of wood according to t'internet. The rudder blade had to be 7ft tall.

Definitely a cool boat.........................

IMG_20191117_124834.jpg

IMG_20191117_124824.jpg

IMG_20191117_124739.jpg

That’s made of wood?!  Cold-moulded?  Incredible.

11 hours ago, eliboat said:

The Chebacco is indeed another one of his good looking ones.  I'm a fan of Bolger in many ways.  I have all his books and even built the little 6'6" punt Tortise as my first and only boat building project.  Phil was always trying to sort out economy of build while maximizing performance  and simplicity.  Not just beauty or just performance but a blend that he deemed 'efficient'.  It's alway fun to be a curious and fearless problem solver who is willing to go outside the accepted design norms.

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:
17 hours ago, rogerball0 said:

IMG_20191117_124739.jpg

Why did those things cost a quarter mil when I was 30 and now when I'm past being able to take them on they're virtually free ? :(

I thought the Boomers were "born at the right time"? Someone even wrote a book titled that.

Well, everything happens for a reason and you can look at it two ways: it's either to keep you motivated by what great things remain to be accomplished, or it's to torment you with things you won't be able to.

Maybe both.

I believe that Silver Apple deserves better than to be propped up on a set of logs, though. And the next-door boat owner would probably appreciate something better, too

FB- Doug

On 11/15/2019 at 9:57 PM, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

I'm with you - I'm pretty sure those 'rub rails' are the lower bearing point for some leeboards. If you zoom in on the photo, you can just make it where the swivel for them attaches to the top sides, and also what looks life it might have been a fairlead for the tackle to raise them.

Certainly looks Bolger. Raised topsides, bowsprit for anchor, rig etc are all very much his style. If it's not one of his, it's very much influenced by his designs. 

I just came across this design of the late Frans Maas. Does anyone have more info? I find her very elegant.9b9da868f80a7cbc2ebfb8ed71b7d862.jpg

• Like 4

Gorgeous - that elliptical rudder is an update for sure. Looks like a keel trim tab has been disabled as well.

My guess is a late RORC boat originally but maybe an early IOR.

Love the colour.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jackett said:

I'm with you - I'm pretty sure those 'rub rails' are the lower bearing point for some leeboards. If you zoom in on the photo, you can just make it where the swivel for them attaches to the top sides, and also what looks life it might have been a fairlead for the tackle to raise them.

Certainly looks Bolger. Raised topsides, bowsprit for anchor, rig etc are all very much his style. If it's not one of his, it's very much influenced by his designs. 

which raises the questions: why would you take them off, surely they would be integral to sailing characteristics of the boat and how does it sail now?  perhaps they don't actually sail but just use it a s a power boat?

Just saw this on Facebook.  Stunning.  Cant wait to see it completed.   Its being built at the Andaman Yard in Asia.

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

• Like 1

Where can you buy varnish by the drum?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Just saw this on Facebook.  Stunning.  Cant wait to see it completed.   Its being built at the Andaman Yard in Asia.

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

I'll second the not quite my style but impressive none the less. Not much use for a big flat block sanding pad here. The guy in the green shirt seems to be having a spiritual moment. "laying hands" on the hull.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

I'll second the not quite my style but impressive none the less. Not much use for a big flat block sanding pad here. The guy in the green shirt seems to be having a spiritual moment. "laying hands" on the hull.

He's just making an impression while the cement is still wet. Ferrocement has come a long way.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

He's just making an impression while the cement is still wet. Ferrocement has come a long way.

Image result for wood grain concrete floor

20 hours ago, MauiPunter said: