Sailbydate

Coolboats to admire

6 hours ago, LeoV said:

that last photo of whatever it is, gaff like... the screws used in the metal end fitting..... that is not right.

You forgot to moan about the dyneema parrel holding the gaff beads and the Uroxsys varnish.

EAD61ABB-6937-47FC-B4BF-C439F5FE3C95.thumb.jpeg.da87793c02e40dd5320a458f4af832dc.jpeg

• Like 5

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Powerboat thread or the Covid threat. Music is ... well... the Durch like it. 

But the idea is cool and ... contemporary. 

I love the Netherlands, did I mention?

Look for the guy at 01h 07m. Spectecular production, in any case.

• Like 1

Too bad such a famous boat had to be painted such ugly colours to be "original".

Just now, Priscilla said:

Teal is the default national colour here in the home of the Cup.
C8DF97E7-0282-48F2-9686-EFFC5194FF0D.jpeg.dd8e346f0d97da326102e80de148798b.jpeg

that doesn't make it right!:D

• Like 1

Teal would be O/K, good even, but it looks baby blue on my screen.

Teal needs more green.

image.png.b1328d4fd04abef8822dab25cc7ac7b6.png

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Air New Zealand teal variations.

C32A5678-3587-4213-90A6-A22FD91CCA82.jpeg.074943681084388140647e1874ea5713.jpeg

The one beside the guy is teal.

The rest are blue.

Here's the original for comparison. ;)

image.png.ee81d28c7421c82324b371afe73910e8.png

Yup thats a closer teal to this TEAL.

Not sure where the more blue hue came from but when Aotearoans reach for an alternative national strip teal makes an appearance.

59e11685cd789_TEALNZAA3.jpg.1cfa9cf7eb0d65d5c8703c16ebc30121.thumb.jpg.32d790e48091464a3555a1e6ed3ebafb.jpg

First time I went to NZ it seemed as though all the cars there were that colour; I first thought that it was where the car mfrs sent their unwanted colours.........

I'm a big fan of Tom's designs. The pictures of Velella show many of the same features and layout as my Malaya. Please excuse the missing chimney, this is her summer outfit. 

small rear.jpg

small.jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Teal is the default national colour here in the home of the Cup.
C8DF97E7-0282-48F2-9686-EFFC5194FF0D.jpeg.dd8e346f0d97da326102e80de148798b.jpeg

And I thought it was All Black. Ah, well....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malaya said:

I'm a big fan of Tom's designs. The pictures of Velella show many of the same features and layout as my Malaya. Please excuse the missing chimney, this is her summer outfit. 

small rear.jpg

small.jpg

Could you perhaps tell a little more about your boat? Looks pretty cool.

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

1970 called and wants their clothes back.... 

Where I was in 1970 the skirts and dresses were a LOT shorter. Not to mention Hot Pants.

My wife says she was sent home from school one day for a skirt that failed to cover her panties when she sat. Given that she was a ballet dancer and track star, I wish I'd been there to see that. 

Ho-Pants-1971-1970-Fashion-Trends.thumb.jpg.53c787febc3473c9b42b990a90f474a4.jpg

• Like 1

The redhead looks like she doesn't shave her legs. Or is that just the result of constricted circulation in her calves?

CL,

Malaya is a Wylie 45, cold molded Douglas fir and mahogany. WL 36.5 beam 12.25 draws 7 feet 24,000# displacement launched 1983

FXB_4358small.jpg

• Like 6

On 5/8/2020 at 2:13 AM, Navig8tor said:

Seem to recall in my hazy rum soaked recesses some Antiguans standing on her keel after a knockdown :rolleyes:

What utter bullshit. A 80,000-90,000 lbs sailboat on her beam ends and a couple of guys are gonna scamper over the lifelines, slide down the topsides and stand on the bottom of the keel to help right it. I don’t think you’ve ever sobered up. 

On 5/14/2020 at 10:38 AM, Cruisin Loser said:

Could you perhaps tell a little more about your boat? Looks pretty cool.

Sweet, had a Dickinson Antarctic on my Cal 2-46, lit it in the fall and turned it off in the spring, great dry heat, have hydronic now and it is noisy and sucks massive amps so not at all practical to use much away from the umbilical shore power cord.  Installation of solar has improved the situation allowing a couple of hours of heat at nigh but not like the Dickinson.

10 hours ago, Al Paca said:

What utter bullshit. A 80,000-90,000 lbs sailboat on her beam ends and a couple of guys are gonna scamper over the lifelines, slide down the topsides and stand on the bottom of the keel to help right it. I don’t think you’ve ever sobered up. 

Who said anything about righting it?

the fuckin deck was vertical they had No place to go.

• Like 1

Whitefin knockdown is referred to in Cruising World Vol 10 No 7

Race 5 of 17th Antigua Race Week as it was called before being renamed Antigua Sailing Week by the PC crowd I do believe photos where taken but can’t find them on Google.

The knockdown was described as “spectacular “

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

the fuckin deck was vertical they had No place to go.

I know that feeling. Several years ago, in the blustery month of March, my J22 got hit by 30 knot gust. Mainsail and brother-in-law were in the water. It ended well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Paca said:

Right. And my dog ate my homework. 

You should learn to shut up while you're still behind. The Whitefin knockdown is the stuff of legend. Maybe Tad, who was part of the BKYD design team will chime in, but it absolutely happened, and the boat stayed on it's ear for a loooong time, according to folks who were there. Might have caused the owner to sell.

I'll bet you don't think a C&C 61 can do a 360 deg roll, either.  But Sorcery did. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Al Paca said:

A 80,000-90,000 lbs sailboat on her beam ends and a couple of guys are gonna scamper over the lifelines, slide down the topsides and stand on the bottom of the keel to help right it. 

Al, Paca, I don't think he suggested they were trying to right it. I think it was probably where they ended up.

Croatia sailing yachts -

Not too much to hang on to when the deck is vertical and you have 25 crew fighting for the space.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

You should learn to shut up while you're still behind. The Whitefin knockdown is the stuff of legend. Maybe Tad, who was part of the BKYD design team will chime in, but it absolutely happened, and the boat stayed on it's ear for a loooong time, according to folks who were there. Might have caused the owner to sell.

I'll bet you don't think a C&C 61 can do a 360 deg roll, either.  But Sorcery did. 

Right. And as the boat slowly rights itself the crew crawls up the bottom, up the topsides and back on deck. I’m guessing 15 ft draft and 6 ft of topsides. Any hand holds along that route?  Get back on deck, get the sails drawing again and finish the race and place too!  

45 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Right. And as the boat slowly rights itself the crew crawls up the bottom, up the topsides and back on deck. I’m guessing 15 ft draft and 6 ft of topsides. Any hand holds along that route?  Get back on deck, get the sails drawing again and finish the race and place too!  

Just because the events appears improbable doesn't mean it didn't happen.

First you made the presumption that crew jumped on to the keel to right it, yeah right.

Now, You are presuming the crew climbed back on board and kept on sailing

Lets face it you are looking at this from a dinghy sailors perspective,  a laser capsize and trying to get your feeble mind around how that could possibly happen on a big boat.

This was a 90 foot boat being pushed hard by a racing crew that got pinned on its ear by a fresh trade winds breeze and as I understand it the boat stayed that way for several minutes but hey,  you sound like such an authority.

How about you tell us about the biggest boat you have been on?

• Like 2

All right, I see where this is going. You know how I make my  cock 9 inches long? I bend it in half. 

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

All right, I see where this is going. You know how I make my  cock 9 inches long? I bend it in half. 

Proof,  you are a dick.

Now run along to Dinghy Sailing Anarchy and play big fish.......... in the small pond.

11 hours ago, Al Paca said:

That's worthy of VWAP.

Is he gone?

That was.....interesting. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

That was.....interesting. 

He should read Edmund Burke.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

He should read Edmund Burke.

What is this "reading" to which you refer?

On 5/17/2020 at 5:54 PM, Navig8tor said:

Just because the events appears improbable doesn't mean it didn't happen.

First you made the presumption that crew jumped on to the keel to right it, yeah right.

Now, You are presuming the crew climbed back on board and kept on sailing

Lets face it you are looking at this from a dinghy sailors perspective,  a laser capsize and trying to get your feeble mind around how that could possibly happen on a big boat.

This was a 90 foot boat being pushed hard by a racing crew that got pinned on its ear by a fresh trade winds breeze and as I understand it the boat stayed that way for several minutes but hey,  you sound like such an authority.

How about you tell us about the biggest boat you have been on?

I’ve been on a full rigged, 3 masted ship. AND circumnavigated Tom Sayers Island. Top that twat. 

Oooohhh...

Do you have an anchor tattooed on your forearm to?

Argh...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

I’ve been on a full rigged, 3 masted ship. AND circumnavigated Tom Sayers Island. Top that twat. 

As a paying passenger?

You just couldn’t resist could ya.

Come on back after you’ve Captained vessels for 15 years, throw in 7 TransAtlantics three as Captain in Command for good measure, it is very apparent you know fuck all.

The subject as far as I am concerned is closed, can I suggest you stick to stuff that you know about.

It appears to be Lasers.

I have lots of hours on a sunfish. A laser is my retirement dream boat. I’m gonna need a bigger pond though. 

This thread needs more photos of cool boats to admire, and fewer pissing matches.

• Like 3

Real old school. The Hinckley Pilot 35 came out after the Tripp designed B40. But unlike the wide (at the time!) B40 that was CCA rule influenced, the Pilot was taken off the lines of the S&S Pilot 35 that was being built in wood. Hinckley asked to have the freeboard raised, to get more space below. Just over 100 were built (vs just over 200 B40's). Friends of mine bought this Pilot last season. A family of four, young kids, their 2nd coastal cruiser. She wanted a classic looking boat. Good choice. 

400248904_GRACE2020.thumb.jpg.861731edfe24c2059c9a8186e4d91673.jpg

155622331_GRACE20202.thumb.jpg.73a7ddb7a846e1b348c625d5f5287289.jpg

• Like 7

1100322398_Summer2009076.thumb.jpg.d07234f63e0fc972fa4a9eab8e3d0620.jpgA perfect little wooden CC double ender. I think this was Merchant's Harbor, 2009

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

1100322398_Summer2009076.thumb.jpg.d07234f63e0fc972fa4a9eab8e3d0620.jpgA perfect little wooden CC double ender. I think this was Merchant's Harbor, 2009

SARABAND built by Hodgdons in 1960.  Not your most typical S&S design.

1519 article2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobJ said:

This thread needs more photos of cool boats to admire, and fewer pissing matches.

Just stay upstream of the contestants. You'll be fine. It's the fucken internet, dude!!

But yeah, agree, more boat pics!

FB- Doug

4 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Real old school. The Hinckley Pilot 35 came out after the Tripp designed B40. But unlike the wide (at the time!) B40 that was CCA rule influenced, the Pilot was taken off the lines of the S&S Pilot 35 that was being built in wood. Hinckley asked to have the freeboard raised, to get more space below. Just over 100 were built (vs just over 200 B40's). Friends of mine bought this Pilot last season. A family of four, young kids, their 2nd coastal cruiser. She wanted a classic looking boat. Good choice.

Those are fine little cruising boats. Timeless. 

They have an owners group https://hinckleypilot35.ning.com/, and a Hinckley Pilot 35 facebook page. 

My dear friend John Correa has had one for years. A perfect boat.

19 hours ago, Al Paca said:

I've been on Cutty Sark and circumnavigated Passage Island countless times.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

She wanted a classic looking boat. Good choice.

40 years old makes this a classic looking boat. ;)

image.png.3991a2445c724bd47c4e0ab6ada7c9f3.png

40 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I single-handed across Biscayne Bay... on a nice day!

6 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Real old school. The Hinckley Pilot 35 came out after the Tripp designed B40.

Speaking of Hinckleys, I have admired the Southwester 30. Don't know the designer, but it moves me, and it would fit on our lake, and it has a tiller. Break out the straight jacket.

image.png.7d9f79daceb510177d91994624f3b492.png

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I single-handed across Biscayne Bay... on a nice day!

I shave with a helicopter. 

Pretty sure the 30 is an S&S.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Meh... isn't that more or less expected of a Texas wildcatter?

You're thinking of the windshield ground to my prescription, that bit is real. Most of the guys shave with Chubbchubbs, but I'm a little older and, frankly, losing my edge. ;)

1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Pretty sure the 30 is an S&S.

sailboatdata.com says "Henry R. Hinckley" designed it. While probably not a speedster, it looks sedate, comfortable, and has cabin heat to extend season. Nice!

4 minutes ago, Bull City said:

sailboatdata.com says "Henry R. Hinckley" designed it. While probably not a speedster, it looks sedate, comfortable, and has cabin heat to extend season. Nice!

Led Zeppellin claimed at one time to have written "You Need Love/Whole Lotta Love". 

I look at that boat, and I recall what he did with the Tripp H48, turning it into to the SW-50 and calling it his design by adding some freeboard. 

I would call it ":S&S inspired" :rolleyes:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I've drank Cutty Sark while sailing to Bermuda.   Bwahahaha...

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Bull City said:

Speaking of Hinckleys, I have admired the Southwester 30. Don't know the designer, but it moves me, and it would fit on our lake, and it has a tiller. Break out the straight jacket.

I keep looking at this listing:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1962/hinckley-sou-wester-30--3195835/

It was built the same year I started high school, but looks like it had a major re-fit just a few years ago. The lay out is nice and simple. Tiller, center-line companionway.

PHRF numbers are pretty much what I expected:

GULF PHRF 231 (Gulf of Mexico?)
LAKE MICHIGAN 216
NEW ENGLAND 219

The old man part of me is smitten.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bull City said:

It was built the same year I started high school, but looks like it had a major re-fit just a few years ago. The lay out is nice and simple. Tiller, center-line companionway.

LAKE MICHIGAN 216
NEW ENGLAND 219

Won’t work for you or me.  We live too far south.  Al that varnish would never stand a chance.  Beautiful boat though.    

43 minutes ago, Bull City said:

LAKE MICHIGAN 216
NEW ENGLAND 219

You could have a Hinckley Pilot 35 for less money:

6885298_20181031064331653_1_XLARGE.jpg

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1967/hinckley-pilot-3481764/

No tiller, but you could use the money you save to replace the wheel.

• Like 2

So Bull, your J-22 had a SA/D ratio of 24+ and the H Boat is 19+.  Those two Hinckleys are both under 16...

I think you might find them a little to “stately” esp on a light air day of which I think you have many in the summer...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crash said:

So Bull, your J-22 had a SA/D ratio of 24+ and the H Boat is 19+.  Those two Hinckleys are both under 16...

I think you might find them a little to “stately” esp on a light air day of which I think you have many in the summer...

Actually, there are quite a few empty slips at our marina - more boats!

Yes, I've been cooped up too long.

Don’t get me wrong, they are beautiful boats to my eyes....

...but a beautiful boat not moving in otherwise “sailable” breeze might be not quite as beautiful 

47 minutes ago, Bull City said:

There are a lot of those on the market.

A lot of them have been built...

Quick little boats.

There are a lot of those on the market.

Very good boats for people downsizing. My parents had one for a while. One season we even cruised together and rafted up in the evenings.  

• Like 2

Looking at those Hinckleys, why no garage for the companionway hatch?  Or don't they go sailing when there's water coming over the deck.  Also, those cockpits seem horribly

un-ergonomic.

15 minutes ago, Whinging Pom said:

Looking at those Hinckleys, why no garage for the companionway hatch?  Or don't they go sailing when there's water coming over the deck.  Also, those cockpits seem horribly

un-ergonomic.

All true. Yet their popularity endures and they are one of the few old boats that hold value. 

B40_1_(1_of_1).thumb.jpg.bdf056b782810dbf78c3eb4557022f50.jpg

3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

All true. Yet their popularity endures and they are one of the few old boats that hold value. 

B40_1_(1_of_1).thumb.jpg.bdf056b782810dbf78c3eb4557022f50.jpg

Not surprising, at least to me.  It's like a classic car: new cars are just better in every objective way.  But......  It's the way the old one looks, the way it makes you feel, the memories it conjures.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

@Kris Cringle Is dat Scat?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6e8.thumb.jpg.f7b6272d0c997ad6e911c52f2659d31b.jpg

It surely must be. Your shot is 2009 (where?), mine was taken in 2011 in Cabot Cove off Pulpit Harbor.

I never saw the stern and see it hales from NY. 

It's the third version, the Mark III I think. Beside some port shape changes, Hinckley changed the sail plan to higher aspect. They still built mostly yawls (I believe) despite the CCA rule favoring yawls, long after that racing rule was phased out. 

4 hours ago, Hukilau said:

Not surprising, at least to me.  It's like a classic car: new cars are just better in every objective way.  But......  It's the way the old one looks, the way it makes you feel, the memories it conjures.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Actually I believe they will still build one for you, but it would be semi-custom. But you are absolutely right. Families spend a lot of money keeping these boats in concourse condition like an old classic car.  A decent number are multi-generational boats. There are 5 Hinckleys and one shitter in this photo. Which one doesn't fit? 

ACtC-3fZL48X2n5rxvoIJhrmpVXEyqeJ4Jsp6-0L

5 hours ago, Elegua said:

Actually I believe they will still build one for you, but it would be semi-custom. But you are absolutely right. Families spend a lot of money keeping these boats in concourse condition like an old classic car.  A decent number are multi-generational boats. There are 5 Hinckleys and one shitter in this photo. Which one doesn't fit? 

Eurotrash?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Eurotrash?

18 hours ago, Elegua said:

They would. It's a new era in custom boat building. The olde way - fiberglass hull plug/mold - is history.

That production method made $$$ sense for a run of hulls but as you know,  not for a one-off(and I doubt any working plugs exist). 

You can go right to the source for a reproduction of anything. Ironically, I think the old wooden boat builders are now the stars of new custom builds. Composite. Cold moulded  in wood and sheathed in whatever the lastest product is. Hinckley would probably sub this work out to those builders (Brooklin, Rockport, Belfast) more experienced in cold moulded work. 

The in house designers can take any design, from any era,  and print out the lofting plans in composite construction. Cheap throw away forms sawn and set up on a frame on the floor, lay the strips and Bob's your uncle. Exact B-40 replica. 

But the same designers would tempt you with a faster - below the waterline - design. In the end though, this would be ridiculously expensive which only makes the real thing, more attractive. But new custom boats make no financial sense from any angle. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

They would. It's a new era in custom boat building. The olde way - fiberglass hull plug/mold - is history.

That production method made $$$ sense for a run of hulls but as you know,  not for a one-off(and I doubt any working plugs exist). 

You can go right to the source for a reproduction of anything. Ironically, I think the old wooden boat builders are now the stars of new custom builds. Composite. Cold moulded  in wood and sheathed in whatever the lastest product is. Hinckley would probably sub this work out to those builders (Brooklin, Rockport, Belfast) more experienced in cold moulded work. 

The in house designers can take any design, from any era,  and print out the lofting plans in composite construction. Cheap throw away forms sawn and set up on a frame on the floor, lay the strips and Bob's your uncle. Exact B-40 replica. 

But the same designers would tempt you with a faster - below the waterline - design. In the end though, this would be ridiculously expensive which only makes the real thing, more attractive. But new custom boats make no financial sense from any angle. 

Hell... hinckley subbed out everything but the hull for the last 52 to BBY/Front St. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

It surely must be. Your shot is 2009 (where?), mine was taken in 2011 in Cabot Cove off Pulpit Harbor.

I never saw the stern and see it hales from NY. 

It's the third version, the Mark III I think. Beside some port shape changes, Hinckley changed the sail plan to higher aspect. They still built mostly yawls (I believe) despite the CCA rule favoring yawls, long after that racing rule was phased out. 

It might have been near Holbrooke Island, but I'll have to check the log book (if I can find it). 

3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

boats make no financial sense from any angle. 

Edited for simplicity.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eliboat said:

Hell... hinckley subbed out everything but the hull for the last 52 to BBY/Front St. 

And BBY spent a lot of time fixing that hull.