Sailbydate

Coolboats to admire

That is a cool little boat.  Love it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Like the dual wheels forecockpit!

It's a strange feat, for such a relatively small boat. I read that it's a late modification.

3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

A friend of mine bought an Able 34' this season. I didn't know there was one. Chuck Paine design I guess. Sorry for the image, I took the shot from below as I was too warm to leave the fire. 

1257956866_Brendancomingin._.thumb.jpg.21f2a0ad1c69f6ca648e2df737c17918.jpg

Looks like the Victoria 34' (didn't know that Able built a 34' Paine design either) or possibly the cutter rigged version of the Able Whistler 32. 

1 hour ago, leuk said:

It's a strange feat, for such a relatively small boat. I read that it's a late modification.

A few of the S&S designs have a single center line bridge deck helm so I can see a dual helm mod..

This would be my ideal boat, if I had a much bigger wallet- Seguin 49, Hood design centerboarder built by Lyman Morse.

Seguin49.jpg

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, bgytr said:

This would be my ideal boat, if I had a much bigger wallet- Seguin 49, Hood design centerboarder built by Lyman Morse.

Seguin49.jpg

Hell yeah, now you're talking!

My wife and I looked at a smaller sister, when shopping for our cruising boat (we eventually bought and cruised in a trawler) and it was probably the closest thing to The Perfect Boat I found, all things considered except price (and we -could- have afforded it, given some luck, working a few more years, and pushing harder).

FB- Doug

57 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Seguin49.jpg

Cabot and Heidi Lyman were anchored behind us in theirs a few weeks ago, at Perry Creek. It's a handsome boat. 

18 hours ago, leuk said:

Found this today on FB. S&S 1973 design, and apparently a sistership of Morning Cloud 2 (or Morning Cloud 2 itself? Not clear, from the comments).

a.jpg.559887edd3904fe5e8a037b468125587.jpgb.thumb.jpg.458b66611ba690230baa972049842c8c.jpgc.thumb.jpg.0f4335b566aa1a6c694f296d111cc70f.jpg

I easily fall for flush decks, but even without this bias, she's really pretty. And apparently for sale at 55,000€, though the owner did not post an ad. Just his email.

Morning cloud 2 rebuild, as a video ref:

Those bright finished Morning Clouds were two of the most beautiful boats ever IMO.

There were several boats - presumably friends - named "Morning ****". Morning Cloud, Morningtown etc.

Heath wrote that he was thankful no-one named one "Morning All" but I always felt "Morning Wood" would have been very appropriate for one of the bright finished ones.

• Like 2

Oh the headline:

'PRIME MINISTER'S MORNING WOOD COMES FIRST IN NEW RECORD TIME'

But I digress. Beautiful ship.

Btw, is there any well-known current politician known to be sailing? Germany's former foreign minister is one, but he was always very quiet about it.

1 hour ago, Matagi said:

Oh the headline:

'PRIME MINISTER'S MORNING WOOD COMES FIRST IN NEW RECORD TIME'

But I digress. Beautiful ship.

Btw, is there any well-known current politician known to be sailing? Germany's former foreign minister is one, but he was always very quiet about it.

If in the US, Morning In America.

2 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Tango 1.jpg

I know nothing about design, nautical or any other, so i am absolutely allowed to have an opinion based entirely on gut.

My gut tells me that this looks purposeful, and it belongs to a retired naval officer, probably submarines, who is a serious individual. Respectful and well-mannered but 110% prepared for anything and everything. Don’t even think of crossing him/her but if he/she is on your side you’ll be OK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Those bright finished Morning Clouds were two of the most beautiful boats ever IMO.

There were several boats - presumably friends - named "Morning ****". Morning Cloud, Morningtown etc.

Heath wrote that he was thankful no-one named one "Morning All" but I always felt "Morning Wood" would have been very appropriate for one of the bright finished ones.

Morning Cloud 3.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/elaine-bunting/memorial-made-to-the-crew-lost-when-sir-edward-heaths-morning-cloud-broke-up-and-sank-64589

http://thefriendsofarundells.btck.co.uk/MorningCloud

EAAE6734-BFE7-44F2-B156-0511A3AEE038.png.3959f5a4761eb319d0c02fd9218462a0.png
73B3DCC6-D75E-419A-B868-886610F15A7E.jpeg.3e76d13fc167c37817e9e7a273dbf5b6.jpeg

CE9BA2F4-099D-4866-802A-75C0F31141A8.png.58c92c112a17e03e99c74b982886bcf5.png

• Like 2

Black Sox:

You are extremely close to the profile of the client. Airforce bomber pilot. Super successful in business and flew his own Citation jet to Seattle for our meeting.

Foxtrot STD INBOARD PROF.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bgytr said:

1990-lyman-morse-seguin-49--2.jpg.ef8ccd527beeebbba41d9d85c0d766e4.jpg

Found a few more shots online.

Very nice. Not sure about the boom and the everythingholder in the back. And another paintjob. Keep the grey, white hull, two grey stripes. Preferably white underbody even, that would look gorgeous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Perry said:

Black Sox:

You are extremely close to the profile of the client. Airforce bomber pilot. Super successful in business and flew his own Citation jet to Seattle for our meeting.

Foxtrot STD INBOARD PROF.jpg

Wow, Bob, that’s spooky. Or maybe not. Maybe boats, like dogs, come to resemble or reflect the characters or personalities of their owners. Given your vast experience, what’s your opinion?

This client sounds like the kind of person one would love to meet but would, at the same time, be afraid to!

As mentioned, I have no design expertise, or even amateurise, so the drawing is pearls before swine. But thank you for sharing. There’s something definitely serious about the double humps, sorry; from forward aft, the way there’s a slightly raised coach roof that runs into the sloped windows, and the pilot house (?) is then backed up by a solid shape. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her fold the mast down, seal the companionway and dive like a submarine, surprising all and sundry! She’s not sinister but she has something... different. She has stories to tell, some of which she’s not allowed to and others you just wouldn’t believe anyway. I’d love to write her life story, at least the one she exudes just from her looks.

Presumably  you don’t allow the swine to see the top secret elements of the boat??? The flux capacitor etc.

Thanks again. If appropriate, please pass my observations on to the client.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bgytr said:

1990-lyman-morse-seguin-49--2.jpg.ef8ccd527beeebbba41d9d85c0d766e4.jpg1990-lyman-morse-seguin-49--9.jpg.b4f57c7a42f00dfd0f12722aae5b9dba.jpg1990-lyman-morse-seguin-49--5.jpg.b7310896fcd3cbb0b7e493db253798b4.jpg1990-lyman-morse-seguin-49--6.jpg.4f95a05db9a64dcb718d68c07a6a9dd4.jpg

Found a few more shots online.

I’ve been on this boat a bunch... it’s just about perfect. 

9 hours ago, eliboat said:

I’ve been on this boat a bunch... it’s just about perfect. 

I like the half model on the bulkhead in one of the pics, looks like a scaled up version of my boat (Gulfstar 40).  

All three of those boats, despite looking like cosmetically perfect "yacht club queens" have cruised extensively. I believe at least 2 of 3 have circumnavigated at least once. 

20 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Cabot and Heidi Lyman were anchored behind us in theirs a few weeks ago, at Perry Creek. It's a handsome boat. 

I like the colors and the inner forestay on his better. Super nice folks aren’t they? If you didn’t know, you’d never know. 

16 hours ago, Matagi said:

Very nice. Not sure about the boom and the everythingholder in the back. And another paintjob. Keep the grey, white hull, two grey stripes. Preferably white underbody even, that would look gorgeous. 

It's gorgeous now.... well, subtract a few points for the crap on the back (COTB) and the lack of a cove stripe... I think I'd very much like your color scheme. But the boat itself is beautiful and it's hard to hide that.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elegua said:

All three of those boats, despite looking like cosmetically perfect "yacht club queens" have cruised extensively. I believe at least 2 of 3 have circumnavigated at least once. 

I like the colors and the inner forestay on his better. Super nice folks aren’t they? If you didn’t know, you’d never know. 

I think we use the same brand and color of dish soap. They've got to be good folks. :D

Beautiful boat.

image.png.486174a5c56a2eef7fd64ec304b2ed8a.png

That boat is owned by OCC School of Sailing. The brokers ignored her, battery ran flat, boat flooded. Yanmar diesel frozen, no further investigation. They are eager for any offers, no market for this kind of boat here. They had an offer of 15K as is, they regret not taking it now. She needs a serious wash down inside & out, engine repair, otherwise great.

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

I think we use the same brand and color of dish soap. They've got to be good folks. :D

Beautiful boat.

image.png.486174a5c56a2eef7fd64ec304b2ed8a.png

Different people, different boat; but, yes. 

3 hours ago, longy said:

That boat is owned by OCC School of Sailing. The brokers ignored her, battery ran flat, boat flooded. Yanmar diesel frozen, no further investigation. They are eager for any offers, no market for this kind of boat here. They had an offer of 15K as is, they regret not taking it now. She needs a serious wash down inside & out, engine repair, otherwise great.

The YW description says "wood" for hull material, but the photos look like glass or maybe cold-molded. Whatever, $15K or less sounds like a good buy. This older retired fart would love it. Too bad it's 3,000 miles away.

13 minutes ago, Bull City said:

The YW description says "wood" for hull material, but the photos look like glass or maybe cold-molded. Whatever, $15K or less sounds like a good buy. This older retired fart would love it. Too bad it's 3,000 miles away.

3,000 miles is NOTHING

5 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

3,000 miles is NOTHING

Get thee behind me, Satan!

image.png.068219949d86a2679d36a772895e2196.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, socalrider said:

Trying to convince my dad that this is a good retirement boat... possible elder abuse.

Let me know if I can help. Sounds like it could be a project with a happy ending.

10 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Let me know if I can help. Sounds like it could be a project with a happy ending.

Ahem. We're not going to get into coolbrothels to admire here.

32 minutes ago, longy said:

Cold molded hull

Ooh.... hadn’t realized that. Great candidate for an electric conversion too. Hmm...

Sweet little lake boat with a little quiet electric, eh Bull?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Sweet little lake boat with a little quiet electric, eh Bull?

EIDER is the little woodie in the background here. I was rowing back to the docks last week and she startled me in the channel on her way out. She's now electric and my rowlocks were making more noise. 

1551112087_2smallwoodies.thumb.jpg.231539bdf0d4a89faa8ce81200271eb1.jpg

She's of lovely almost miniature scale but is no toy. Freeboard is just above a low floating dock. She had a diesel back when my dog was inspecting the bulwarks. 

2063213412_Eider2.jpg.71bcc2140a7e15729973e1e95ee58ed5.jpg

Small but a serious no-nonsense boat. 

1679759851_Eiderclose2.jpg.740952b41224a979f34558673c7cf7f0.jpg

EIDER on the stern is spelled out in simple small bronze letters. She will always be EIDER, that's assured by her bronze bowsprit end fitting. 

Eider.thumb.jpg.f0171e8de5a484ac3f941846ec109c01.jpg

• Like 2

Thora, a Ted Hood yawl, popped up in my Instagram feed the other day. 

My boat didn't like my reaction...

ted_hood_thora.jpg

1 hour ago, Matagi said:

Thora, a Ted Hood yawl, popped up in my Instagram feed the other day. 

My boat didn't like my reaction...

ted_hood_thora.jpg

Wow.  

Yeah, you gotta look at that stuff in private you know.  Keep it out of your search history too.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

And the coquette in the foreground?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

EIDER is the little woodie in the background here. I was rowing back to the docks last week and she startled me in the channel on her way out. She's now electric and my rowlocks were making more noise. 

She's of lovely almost miniature scale but is no toy. Freeboard is just above a low floating dock. She had a diesel back when my dog was inspecting the bulwarks. 

2063213412_Eider2.jpg.71bcc2140a7e15729973e1e95ee58ed5.jpg

Small but a serious no-nonsense boat. 

1679759851_Eiderclose2.jpg.740952b41224a979f34558673c7cf7f0.jpg

EIDER on the stern is spelled out in simple small bronze letters. She will always be EIDER, that's assured by her bronze bowsprit end fitting. 

Eider.thumb.jpg.f0171e8de5a484ac3f941846ec109c01.jpg

Is she from this little Stadel Pilot Boat plan?

https://www.woodenboatstore.com/collections/cruising-boat-plans/products/stadel-26-sloop-pilot

She's one of my favorites.  Love the end fitting.

7 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Stink pot I know but it has plenty of sheer oh and the obligatory dog.

img_3976.jpeg.0583661d76b84b467b64cb9d075b2c8b.jpeg

That's one very heavy dog.

• Like 1

Nice boat. 

"How does the anchor grow?"

"Short stay aft, sir!"

16 hours ago, Bull City said:

Ostkust design by Al Mason, I think.  24’ loa

11 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Sorry, but that is a total fail.

Should be in Uglyboats

20 hours ago, Bull City said:

Exactly what I was thinking!

13 hours ago, Priscilla said:

'Milkmaid type' motor launch by the look; CIRCA 1900. Charles Bailey apparently churned out heaps of these things. Probably ran on paraffin. That fantail-type counter stern often proved to be the boat's limitation, as they tended to squat when under power and towing.

The original design was used to collect the cream from isolated farms and move stock and feed around - hence the over-tall coach roof design.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

'Milkmaid type' motor launch by the look; CIRCA 1900. Charles Bailey apparently churned out heaps of these things. Probably ran on paraffin. That fantail-type counter stern often proved to be the boat's limitation, as they tended to squat when under power and towing.

The original design was used to collect the cream from isolated farms and move stock and feed around - hence the over-tall coach roof design.

Thank Dog we don’t have to wear ties to go fishing...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Veeger said:

Ostkust design by Al Mason, I think.  24’ loa

I think you are correct. Here's a link to one for sale:

https://www.woodenboat.com/boats-for-sale/gosling-24-ostkust-sloop-sale

It's described as a "pocket cruiser" but from the photos, she looks "unfurnished." Still...

image.png.e14097c2d0ee326133266cab9adcbfce.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Priscilla said:

To say nothing of several fish dinners!

skipjack.jpg.9b2348279a16dec30ea9c9e5a7221751.jpg

Skipjack using a push boat to power it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bull City said:

It's described as a "pocket cruiser" but from the photos, she looks "unfurnished." Still...

Well, there’s a whole thread on these on the Wooden boat forum. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?117266-The-Ostkust-Thread&highlight=Ostkust  You won’t likely have any more room than what you’ve got in your H Boat.

PALMA sailing off her dock way up in the inner harbor of Blue Hill, Maine. It's worth noting, she sailed out of this inner harbor, through several rock-lined sticky wickets, and out into Blue Hill Bay. I've never seen that done. Few boats are comfortable going through, under power. 

PALMA.thumb.jpg.2fb9e84d068e67d2cbee41aaca81cc96.jpg

PALMA was built at Rockport Marine and launched in 2007. From Rockport Marine, "PALMA was designed by the late David Ryder-Turner in the spirit of William Fife. The beautiful lines of the design won accolades from Classic Boat Magazine, who praised Ryder-Turner’s careful adaptation of a Fife classic.

And interior shot: 

1130891662_PALMAbelow.jpg.9f99f88e94d1427c95667183f8755ce3.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Beautiful.
C9059154-BD02-4D08-8AAF-D059CD6CCE41.thumb.jpeg.aa16fe6f083438005e3f4aeae644f76b.jpeg

EB4A40B6-E812-4605-8563-E9B245295833.thumb.jpeg.3a79587c3be3a1ddee2fd86e7f83202b.jpeg

She was available on the used market a while back.  I was seriously tempted but she’s plank on frame and the only wood boat I’ll consider must be cold molded / epoxy.   I have ‘memories’ of leaky garboards....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Veeger said:

She was available on the used market a while back.  I was seriously tempted but she’s plank on frame and the only wood boat I’ll consider must be cold molded / epoxy.   I have ‘memories’ of leaky garboards....

Palma appears to be built two skinned with 50% laps and a Rockport Marine build would see off any concerns of leaky garboard planks imho.

wood_01.jpg.106f2a7aaa346c04e13568f380829e1e.jpgpalma2.jpg.df12d1820775aa28b2b2cf3eb0ce88cf.jpgpalma5.jpg.48bd55d639f8cbe549467bf6fe5d58f4.jpg

Another Ryde Turner Sonas.

sonas.jpg.3009c6f02337e0525a0a9844ab0701f3.jpgIMG_3115.thumb.JPG.a291b3b89aa25b6800e4b4c380586bf3.JPG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Veeger said:

Well, there’s a whole thread on these on the Wooden boat forum. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?117266-The-Ostkust-Thread&highlight=Ostkust  You won’t likely have any more room than what you’ve got in your H Boat.

True, but what a chick magnet. :D

39 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Palma appears to be built two skinned with 50% laps and a Rockport Marine build would see off any concerns of leaky garboard planks imho.

wood_01.jpg.106f2a7aaa346c04e13568f380829e1e.jpgpalma2.jpg.df12d1820775aa28b2b2cf3eb0ce88cf.jpgpalma5.jpg.48bd55d639f8cbe549467bf6fe5d58f4.jpg

Another Ryde Turner Sonas.

sonas.jpg.3009c6f02337e0525a0a9844ab0701f3.jpgIMG_3115.thumb.JPG.a291b3b89aa25b6800e4b4c380586bf3.JPG

Dang!  I think I missed the double plank part.  That’s actually a method I had considered at one point.  I was ‘interested’ but apparently not serious enough at the time to do serious enough research.  ....... hey, but I WAS interested...!

• Like 1

So its not a classic in the timber sense of the word but if i had a spare $50-100,000aus and the shed space i’d love to convert this history to a cruising standard boat.

5D3287D4-37A2-43CB-ABBB-3D943C1C8BBD.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FixinGit said:

So its not a classic in the timber sense of the word but if i had a spare $50-100,000aus and the shed space i’d love to convert this history to a cruising standard boat.

5D3287D4-37A2-43CB-ABBB-3D943C1C8BBD.jpeg

Will the spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come please put this one on their watchlist...?

2 hours ago, Matagi said:

Will the spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come please put this one on their watchlist...?

She seems to have been for sale for a very long time. 
History, good and bad.

ps: i dont own her or know the owners i just had her on the watch list for 2years. 

On 9/26/2020 at 1:00 PM, Bull City said:

I agree, the foreground boat is probably an Ostkust.  Elder, in the background of Kris Kringle's pics, is probably the Stadel pilot boat.

Skinny, tiller. What's not to like? From Off Center Harbor: "The 1935 6-meter SAGA during the 2020 Round The Island race. 10 knots predicted became S 20-30 over a flood, but SAGA’s crew kept full sail and flew around the 23.5-mile course in under 4 hours, good for 5th overall out of 40."

• Like 4

It has black sails, so.....

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

It has black sails, so.....

what?

Not that I'm a fan of them.

1 minute ago, Bull City said:

what?

Not that I'm a fan of them.

SA meme: black sails are fast.  so are orange bottoms

• Like 1

^ this....

11 minutes ago, Fleetwood said:

Where's the 20-30kts?

Must be later.

Full sail in 10kts - what's to watch? Full sail in 30kts - that might be something.............

Meter boats are so beautiful to look at but often it's reported that they are uncomfortable to sail since speed is the only criterion.  I suppose you could find an obsolete model with a remodel of the cockpit, and maybe some adjustment of the rig.

Just another Herreshoff Rozinante'. But I walk by this one nearly every day, walking the dogs. I love looking at boats and architecture, especially the styles along the New England coast, so my neighborhood is a feast for my eyes. 

It's not this 1952 Herreshoff that catches my eye, it's the setting with a backdrop of basic contemporary housing design. On the left, about 2000 simple and clean design, on the right a little older, maybe 60's-70's(?).  

The scene is a pleasant one, I think largely due to the Herreshoff lines. Good design is good design.

This Rozinante' could sell as a lawn ornament to the typical NE second homer who wants to give their so-so property some eye. 

762379956_RozinanteOctoborwide_.thumb.jpg.2bf717c8fbb066f335affcfe411148e4.jpg

• Like 1

On October 3, 2020 at 12:21 PM, SemiSalt said:

Meter boats are so beautiful to look at but often it's reported that they are uncomfortable to sail since speed is the only criterion.  I suppose you could find an obsolete model with a remodel of the cockpit, and maybe some adjustment of the rig.

Not so in the larger ones. Bruce Dyson's Pleione is for sale, a truly fantastic 8 meter with sparkling performance, nice cockpit and a comfy interior. I'm fortunate to have had drinks aboard with this fine gentleman long before Covid. 

6 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:
On 10/3/2020 at 1:21 PM, SemiSalt said:

Not so in the larger ones. Bruce Dyson's Pleione is for sale, a truly fantastic 8 meter with sparkling performance, nice cockpit and a comfy interior. I'm fortunate to have had drinks aboard with this fine gentleman long before Covid. 

I sailed a classic 6-Meter for a while. It was a hoss. Took a LOT of grunt to make it sail. I suppose you could re-rig one to make it easier, but I can't imagine a more modern boat or an 8-Meter is going to be any easier. Plus, it sailed at high angles of heel. Many would find it uncomfortable.

Beautiful boats though!

FB- Doug

There are a couple of 10 meters at SDYC including CF Koehler's Sally that are truly beautiful and look pretty comfy below decks. A little wet topside in lumpy conditions maybe but hard to beat for that row away factor. For me the deterrent is the maintenance but, I guess if you own your own boat yard, you can write it off as a business expense for training staff.

9 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

That 

Is 

Cool!

i'm just a prairie boy but it looks like they have all four sails pretty dialed in...I'd be all like "fuck yeah"!

That is absolutely gorgeous - love the flush deck.

I could lose that hankie mizzen though. It would look better and I daresay sail "better" as a cutter.