Sailbydate

Coolboats to admire

5 hours ago, Bull City said:

But but but, it's a Tripp design. Why slow?

Because it's ancient.

Probably wasn't slow more than 1/2 century ago.

9 hours ago, Bull City said:

This could be a new thread: "Bull City is looking." Any way...

I have been pretty happy with the H-Boat on our lake. The only system is the running and cabin lights. No inboard, no plumbing. The H-Boat has SA/DSIP 19, DISP/LWL 161. I like the performance.

That said, I could get interested in a boat up to 30 or 32 feet, provided it was very simple. A diesel inboard would be OK (I think I can locate a mechanic) but no plumbing, or holding tanks. 2 burner stove would be nice, place for a porta-potty. The J100 is pretty simple, but it's not right for a number of reasons. A Center Harbor 31 could work, but they're pretty pricey. Maybe a cabin heater. Tiller. Companionway could be off-set. :rolleyes: Simple interior. A table would be nice. Standing headroom OK but not required.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

B.C.

Where you are: I see rather a bit big gap between the slim H-boat and the next step. There is currently an Aphrodite 101 in New York state, other than that... A not so well in shape Abbott 33, and I like the Pearson 10m, but they are on the rather big side.

In Europe I would say the H-323 (pic) or H-35, the Senorita Helmsman, the Omega 10m or the Link 30 aka Mystery 30, from top down:

H323-630x452.jpg

Senorita-Helmsman.jpg

lightbox-bat31702.jpg?1300219710

vartmpgallery_migration_83_temp_dirgalle

Other than that: the H-Boat is such a capable small boat, I would keep it and find a solution for stove and head.

I particularly like 'Bert', a modified example, competing with a nice set of sail in the Solent (see pic at original source):

http://www.sailingscenes.co.uk/media/c1ae178a-e99a-4690-b522-f128fb903ba5-bert-gbr7601r-h-boat-round-the-island-race-2019-20190629992/fs

11 hours ago, Bull City said:

I have been pretty happy with the H-Boat on our lake. The only system is the running and cabin lights. No inboard, no plumbing. The H-Boat has SA/DSIP 19, DISP/LWL 161. I like the performance.

That said, I could get interested in a boat up to 30 or 32 feet, provided it was very simple. A diesel inboard would be OK (I think I can locate a mechanic) but no plumbing, or holding tanks. 2 burner stove would be nice, place for a porta-potty. The J100 is pretty simple, but it's not right for a number of reasons. A Center Harbor 31 could work, but they're pretty pricey. Maybe a cabin heater. Tiller. Companionway could be off-set. :rolleyes: Simple interior. A table would be nice. Standing headroom OK but not required.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

B.C.

Companionway: Dead Center. 

JOY_.thumb.jpg.4343642c3a95cc2bd4e2a5d614657a7c.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bull City said:

Suggestions?

Thanks,

B.C.

I was just looking for a place to put this. I think it's cool but not exactly what you're looking for. Someone invested a shit ton of money, work and love into it.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/photographs/88249

main.jpg

• Like 1

I got to wondering what boats in the YRA/LIS PHRF list would seem likely contenders for Bull. I filtered for appropriate length and narrowness and got a short list. Note that almost all these boats are open daysailors.  Apparently, I'd have to relax my Length/Beam ratio criterion a bit to get actual cruising boats. The inclusion of the Dragon, and of course the H-boat, suggest that Scandinavia is the place to look.

2020-09-17_09-47-02.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

I got to wondering what boats in the YRA/LIS PHRF list would seem likely contenders for Bull. I filtered for appropriate length and narrowness and got a short list. Note that almost all these boats are open daysailors.  Apparently, I'd have to relax my Length/Beam ratio criterion a bit to get actual cruising boats. The inclusion of the Dragon, and of course the H-boat, suggest that Scandinavia is the place to look.

2020-09-17_09-47-02.png

That's a list of great boats. A lot of them are boats I've dreamed of owning.

He's got an H-boat now, we know about that.... the Herreshoff "S" is kinda funny looking and tiny inside and maintenance intensive. I personally found them a blast to sail but that was in the context of racing with a fleet (I think Watch Hill? It was a long time ago). The Dragon and the Rozinante have either tiny cabins or just a cuddy.

The Esse 850 doesn't seem like it would have the interior he wants, and is expensive as hell. Gorgeous boats, though (judging by pics, I've never seen one in person)

The Knockabout, Etchells, Ultra, Shields, most Six Meters (a few have tiny cabins), and 11 Metre, don't have cabins at all.

The Mega is a cool boat in many ways but very few if any think it's a good-looking boat. Not sure Bull will like the Hobie 33 either.

That leaves the Abbott 33, the E 33, the Aphrodite, San Juan 33 (why not a Tartan Ten?), and Knarr 30, to consider.

Progress made!

FB- Doug

34 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

That's a list of great boats. A lot of them are boats I've dreamed of owning.

He's got an H-boat now, we know about that.... the Herreshoff "S" is kinda funny looking and tiny inside and maintenance intensive. I personally found them a blast to sail but that was in the context of racing with a fleet (I think Watch Hill? It was a long time ago). The Dragon and the Rozinante have either tiny cabins or just a cuddy.

The Esse 850 doesn't seem like it would have the interior he wants, and is expensive as hell. Gorgeous boats, though (judging by pics, I've never seen one in person)

The Knockabout, Etchells, Ultra, Shields, most Six Meters (a few have tiny cabins), and 11 Metre, don't have cabins at all.

The Mega is a cool boat in many ways but very few if any think it's a good-looking boat. Not sure Bull will like the Hobie 33 either.

That leaves the Abbott 33, the E 33, the Aphrodite, San Juan 33 (why not a Tartan Ten?), and Knarr 30, to consider.

Progress made!

FB- Doug

The Tartan 10 is a touch beamier than the LOA/Beam limit of 3.75 which I used. 

4 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

The Tartan 10 is a touch beamier than the LOA/Beam limit of 3.75 which I used. 

The T-10 is a just tad too big in the butt for them to be as good-looking as the others. Great sailing boats and as practical as any..... not standing headroom though.

The big butt makes them great off-wind performers, they punch 'way above their weight IMHO.

FB- Doug

I've always been partial to another Bill Tripp design: the Seafearer 31.  The sloop, not the ketch version.  Very sweet sailing (if not the quickest boat in the fleet), and very, very sweet looking. Most of them will have a head with a holding tank, but that's easy enough to take out and put in a porti-pottie.  I've been told that some of the early models even had the head plumbed to go directly into a seacock with no tank.

Rosebud

• Like 3

I meant yawl, not ketch....

13 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

I meant yawl, not ketch....

You're forgiven ;)

Tripp's have such an elegant look, even the small oned. I was on a Sailmaster 26 some years ago and it had many features I really liked. The centreboard slot in the long keel tended to turn mud into concrete, though. But other than that: surprisingly large below.

windancer-a-classic-sailmaster-26-219206

26 minutes ago, Crash said:

Wow indeed.  Along those same lines (no pun intended), check out Tim's efforts on an old Triton hull that he stripped bare and made into a day sailer.  Tim used to have an entire website devoted to the project.  The link is still on his page, but it appears to be dead.

ds90705-41.jpgds2006-2-1000.jpgds2006-3-1000.jpg

Methinks that Bull will be quite interested in the Omega 10 DS.  We have similar tastes.  The Center harbor is too rich for both of us, otherwise....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

Scandinavia is the place to look.

I think SemiSalt has hit on it.

We have had many weeks of humid, gloomy weather. We are now under the pitter patter rain of the remnants of Sally. Next week will be glorious: night time low in the upper 50s, daytime highs in the upper 70s. Mrs. Bull and I will be embarking on our first overnight "cruise" on the H-Boat. A pot of Andalusian beef stew and a bottle of Spanish red will tell the tale.

Our last cruise was on a Cape Dory Typhoon (18 feet) in Biscayne Bay 45 years ago. Then it was Budweiser and KFC chicken. We have progressed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Matagi said:

Where you are: I see rather a bit big gap between the slim H-boat and the next step. There is currently an Aphrodite 101 in New York state, other than that... A not so well in shape Abbott 33, and I like the Pearson 10m, but they are on the rather big side.

In Europe I would say the H-323 (pic) or H-35, the Senorita Helmsman, the Omega 10m or the Link 30 aka Mystery 30, from top down:

H323-630x452.jpg

Senorita-Helmsman.jpg

lightbox-bat31702.jpg?1300219710

vartmpgallery_migration_83_temp_dirgalle

Other than that: the H-Boat is such a capable small boat, I would keep it and find a solution for stove and head.

I particularly like 'Bert', a modified example, competing with a nice set of sail in the Solent (see pic at original source):

http://www.sailingscenes.co.uk/media/c1ae178a-e99a-4690-b522-f128fb903ba5-bert-gbr7601r-h-boat-round-the-island-race-2019-20190629992/fs

That H323 is leaving a very smooth, undisturbed wake

3 hours ago, longy said:

That H323 is leaving a very smooth, undisturbed wake

Yes, they are really good. Overlooked design, always a bit in the shadow of the H.

Similar, bit smaller: Nordic Familyboat

3 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

If the Center Harbor is too exy, how about this:

http://brooklinboatyard.com/gleam/

Port-Mooring-003.jpg

It is very very very beautiful.

Other than that, it's not really an H-boat beater, is it?

But it is very very very beautiful.

I got to wondering what would happen if I loosed up the L/B ratio enough to capture the Tartan 10.

One thing about raceboats. They can be laid out so that the controls are far apart so each crew member has a little elbow room. A boat like that can be hard to handle by one or two. I don't know if that's true of the Tartan 10. I remember looking at one thinking that my crew, used to my Capri 22, could probably handle it with a little practice.

2020-09-18_09-38-29.png

I've always loved the Hobie 33.  Was one of my desires when I was a kid in the 80s.  When I first saw one I thought it was the coolest looking boat I had ever seen.  lol.

• Like 1

A couple of siblings (I'm guessing), sweat the anchor up on VITAL SPARL, a Concordia Ketch built-in 1962. 31' overall with a 9'4" beam. Great Covid-19 escape pod for an experienced sailing family. 

579026103_VitalSparkraisinganchor.thumb.jpg.d8bff55be1d9ae8e1a5cbed1e94d448e.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 6:43 AM, SemiSalt said:

I got to wondering what would happen if I loosed up the L/B ratio enough to capture the Tartan 10.

One thing about raceboats. They can be laid out so that the controls are far apart so each crew member has a little elbow room. A boat like that can be hard to handle by one or two. I don't know if that's true of the Tartan 10. I remember looking at one thinking that my crew, used to my Capri 22, could probably handle it with a little practice.

2020-09-18_09-38-29.png

What does it take to get the Alerion 28 in the mix?  ;)

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 7:49 AM, Kris Cringle said:

A couple of siblings (I'm guessing), sweat the anchor up on VITAL SPARL, a Concordia Ketch built-in 1962. 31' overall with a 9'4" beam. Great Covid-19 escape pod for an experienced sailing family. 

579026103_VitalSparkraisinganchor.thumb.jpg.d8bff55be1d9ae8e1a5cbed1e94d448e.jpg

Kinda funny, we used to have a green hull, in talking to my Italian friend who is the delivery captain I came down from Florida with the subject of boat colors came up.  He was always giving me shit for being mostly Irish and the farmer at sea material which is apparently endless, I guess for Italians a green hull is for farmers..and cqrs but that goes without saying.... He also advised watering our foremast regularly so maybe it would grow to the correct height.

• Like 1

^^^ My boat is green with a beige/cream deck. The spars need painting anyway, so I'm thinking about that very color scheme.

T10 -- huge cockpit, plenty of elbow room. Headroom is low but it has lots of freeboard, so is very roomy for sitting/lounging.

Off Center Harbor's classifieds has great classic boats, w/ the occasional Scandinaviana.

3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Another Hinckley yawl (yawn). I think this is the 50'. 

604642520_Hinckley50yawl._.thumb.jpg.36b35f152f0224eacbc979b265f05674.jpg

Oh, this one?

IMG_1558.thumb.jpg.5472d4ccf1d8f755a2a6fffa6bb1d353.jpg

You're photo is better. Mine was taken just a couple of weeks ago when they anchored just behind. If you've seen the red one around, that belongs to a good friend. 

• Like 2

A friend of mine bought an Able 34' this season. I didn't know there was one. Chuck Paine design I guess. Sorry for the image, I took the shot from below as I was too warm to leave the fire. 

1257956866_Brendancomingin._.thumb.jpg.21f2a0ad1c69f6ca648e2df737c17918.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 9:43 AM, SemiSalt said:

2020-09-18_09-38-29.png

Some of these boats are obscure. Vinelander 32, Norvega 28?

LOA/Beam for the H-Boat is 3.78. Columbia Sabre is 5.18.

Found this today on FB. S&S 1973 design, and apparently a sistership of Morning Cloud 2 (or Morning Cloud 2 itself? Not clear, from the comments).

a.jpg.559887edd3904fe5e8a037b468125587.jpgb.thumb.jpg.458b66611ba690230baa972049842c8c.jpgc.thumb.jpg.0f4335b566aa1a6c694f296d111cc70f.jpg

I easily fall for flush decks, but even without this bias, she's really pretty. And apparently for sale at 55,000€, though the owner did not post an ad. Just his email.

Morning cloud 2 rebuild, as a video ref:

• Like 2

That is a cool little boat.  Love it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Like the dual wheels forecockpit!

It's a strange feat, for such a relatively small boat. I read that it's a late modification.

3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

A friend of mine bought an Able 34' this season. I didn't know there was one. Chuck Paine design I guess. Sorry for the image, I took the shot from below as I was too warm to leave the fire. 

1257956866_Brendancomingin._.thumb.jpg.21f2a0ad1c69f6ca648e2df737c17918.jpg

Looks like the Victoria 34' (didn't know that Able built a 34' Paine design either) or possibly the cutter rigged version of the Able Whistler 32. 

1 hour ago, leuk said:

It's a strange feat, for such a relatively small boat. I read that it's a late modification.

A few of the S&S designs have a single center line bridge deck helm so I can see a dual helm mod..

This would be my ideal boat, if I had a much bigger wallet- Seguin 49, Hood design centerboarder built by Lyman Morse.

Seguin49.jpg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, bgytr said:

This would be my ideal boat, if I had a much bigger wallet- Seguin 49, Hood design centerboarder built by Lyman Morse.

Seguin49.jpg

Hell yeah, now you're talking!

My wife and I looked at a smaller sister, when shopping for our cruising boat (we eventually bought and cruised in a trawler) and it was probably the closest thing to The Perfect Boat I found, all things considered except price (and we -could- have afforded it, given some luck, working a few more years, and pushing harder).

FB- Doug

57 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Seguin49.jpg

Cabot and Heidi Lyman were anchored behind us in theirs a few weeks ago, at Perry Creek. It's a handsome boat. 

18 hours ago, leuk said:

Found this today on FB. S&S 1973 design, and apparently a sistership of Morning Cloud 2 (or Morning Cloud 2 itself? Not clear, from the comments).

a.jpg.559887edd3904fe5e8a037b468125587.jpgb.thumb.jpg.458b66611ba690230baa972049842c8c.jpgc.thumb.jpg.0f4335b566aa1a6c694f296d111cc70f.jpg

I easily fall for flush decks, but even without this bias, she's really pretty. And apparently for sale at 55,000€, though the owner did not post an ad. Just his email.

Morning cloud 2 rebuild, as a video ref:

Those bright finished Morning Clouds were two of the most beautiful boats ever IMO.

There were several boats - presumably friends - named "Morning ****". Morning Cloud, Morningtown etc.

Heath wrote that he was thankful no-one named one "Morning All" but I always felt "Morning Wood" would have been very appropriate for one of the bright finished ones.

• Like 2

Oh the headline:

'PRIME MINISTER'S MORNING WOOD COMES FIRST IN NEW RECORD TIME'

But I digress. Beautiful ship.

Btw, is there any well-known current politician known to be sailing? Germany's former foreign minister is one, but he was always very quiet about it.

1 hour ago, Matagi said:

Oh the headline:

'PRIME MINISTER'S MORNING WOOD COMES FIRST IN NEW RECORD TIME'

But I digress. Beautiful ship.

Btw, is there any well-known current politician known to be sailing? Germany's former foreign minister is one, but he was always very quiet about it.

If in the US, Morning In America.

2 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Tango 1.jpg

I know nothing about design, nautical or any other, so i am absolutely allowed to have an opinion based entirely on gut.

My gut tells me that this looks purposeful, and it belongs to a retired naval officer, probably submarines, who is a serious individual. Respectful and well-mannered but 110% prepared for anything and everything. Don’t even think of crossing him/her but if he/she is on your side you’ll be OK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Those bright finished Morning Clouds were two of the most beautiful boats ever IMO.

There were several boats - presumably friends - named "Morning ****". Morning Cloud, Morningtown etc.

Heath wrote that he was thankful no-one named one "Morning All" but I always felt "Morning Wood" would have been very appropriate for one of the bright finished ones.

Morning Cloud 3.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/elaine-bunting/memorial-made-to-the-crew-lost-when-sir-edward-heaths-morning-cloud-broke-up-and-sank-64589

http://thefriendsofarundells.btck.co.uk/MorningCloud

EAAE6734-BFE7-44F2-B156-0511A3AEE038.png.3959f5a4761eb319d0c02fd9218462a0.png
73B3DCC6-D75E-419A-B868-886610F15A7E.jpeg.3e76d13fc167c37817e9e7a273dbf5b6.jpeg

CE9BA2F4-099D-4866-802A-75C0F31141A8.png.58c92c112a17e03e99c74b982886bcf5.png

• Like 2

Black Sox:

You are extremely close to the profile of the client. Airforce bomber pilot. Super successful in business and flew his own Citation jet to Seattle for our meeting.

Foxtrot STD INBOARD PROF.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bgytr said:

1990-lyman-morse-seguin-49--2.jpg.ef8ccd527beeebbba41d9d85c0d766e4.jpg

Found a few more shots online.

Very nice. Not sure about the boom and the everythingholder in the back. And another paintjob. Keep the grey, white hull, two grey stripes. Preferably white underbody even, that would look gorgeous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Perry said:

Black Sox:

You are extremely close to the profile of the client. Airforce bomber pilot. Super successful in business and flew his own Citation jet to Seattle for our meeting.

Foxtrot STD INBOARD PROF.jpg

Wow, Bob, that’s spooky. Or maybe not. Maybe boats, like dogs, come to resemble or reflect the characters or personalities of their owners. Given your vast experience, what’s your opinion?

This client sounds like the kind of person one would love to meet but would, at the same time, be afraid to!

As mentioned, I have no design expertise, or even amateurise, so the drawing is pearls before swine. But thank you for sharing. There’s something definitely serious about the double humps, sorry; from forward aft, the way there’s a slightly raised coach roof that runs into the sloped windows, and the pilot house (?) is then backed up by a solid shape. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her fold the mast down, seal the companionway and dive like a submarine, surprising all and sundry! She’s not sinister but she has something... different. She has stories to tell, some of which she’s not allowed to and others you just wouldn’t believe anyway. I’d love to write her life story, at least the one she exudes just from her looks.

Presumably  you don’t allow the swine to see the top secret elements of the boat??? The flux capacitor etc.

Thanks again. If appropriate, please pass my observations on to the client.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eliboat said:

I’ve been on this boat a bunch... it’s just about perfect. 

I like the half model on the bulkhead in one of the pics, looks like a scaled up version of my boat (Gulfstar 40).  

All three of those boats, despite looking like cosmetically perfect "yacht club queens" have cruised extensively. I believe at least 2 of 3 have circumnavigated at least once. 

20 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Cabot and Heidi Lyman were anchored behind us in theirs a few weeks ago, at Perry Creek. It's a handsome boat. 

I like the colors and the inner forestay on his better. Super nice folks aren’t they? If you didn’t know, you’d never know. 

16 hours ago, Matagi said:

Very nice. Not sure about the boom and the everythingholder in the back. And another paintjob. Keep the grey, white hull, two grey stripes. Preferably white underbody even, that would look gorgeous. 

It's gorgeous now.... well, subtract a few points for the crap on the back (COTB) and the lack of a cove stripe... I think I'd very much like your color scheme. But the boat itself is beautiful and it's hard to hide that.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elegua said:

All three of those boats, despite looking like cosmetically perfect "yacht club queens" have cruised extensively. I believe at least 2 of 3 have circumnavigated at least once. 

I like the colors and the inner forestay on his better. Super nice folks aren’t they? If you didn’t know, you’d never know. 

I think we use the same brand and color of dish soap. They've got to be good folks. :D

Beautiful boat.

image.png.486174a5c56a2eef7fd64ec304b2ed8a.png

That boat is owned by OCC School of Sailing. The brokers ignored her, battery ran flat, boat flooded. Yanmar diesel frozen, no further investigation. They are eager for any offers, no market for this kind of boat here. They had an offer of 15K as is, they regret not taking it now. She needs a serious wash down inside & out, engine repair, otherwise great.

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

I think we use the same brand and color of dish soap. They've got to be good folks. :D

Beautiful boat.

image.png.486174a5c56a2eef7fd64ec304b2ed8a.png

Different people, different boat; but, yes. 

3 hours ago, longy said:

That boat is owned by OCC School of Sailing. The brokers ignored her, battery ran flat, boat flooded. Yanmar diesel frozen, no further investigation. They are eager for any offers, no market for this kind of boat here. They had an offer of 15K as is, they regret not taking it now. She needs a serious wash down inside & out, engine repair, otherwise great.

The YW description says "wood" for hull material, but the photos look like glass or maybe cold-molded. Whatever, $15K or less sounds like a good buy. This older retired fart would love it. Too bad it's 3,000 miles away.

13 minutes ago, Bull City said:

The YW description says "wood" for hull material, but the photos look like glass or maybe cold-molded. Whatever, $15K or less sounds like a good buy. This older retired fart would love it. Too bad it's 3,000 miles away.

3,000 miles is NOTHING

5 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

3,000 miles is NOTHING

Get thee behind me, Satan!

image.png.068219949d86a2679d36a772895e2196.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, socalrider said:

Trying to convince my dad that this is a good retirement boat... possible elder abuse.

Let me know if I can help. Sounds like it could be a project with a happy ending.

10 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Let me know if I can help. Sounds like it could be a project with a happy ending.

Ahem. We're not going to get into coolbrothels to admire here.

32 minutes ago, longy said:

Cold molded hull

Ooh.... hadn’t realized that. Great candidate for an electric conversion too. Hmm...

Sweet little lake boat with a little quiet electric, eh Bull?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Sweet little lake boat with a little quiet electric, eh Bull?

EIDER is the little woodie in the background here. I was rowing back to the docks last week and she startled me in the channel on her way out. She's now electric and my rowlocks were making more noise. 

1551112087_2smallwoodies.thumb.jpg.231539bdf0d4a89faa8ce81200271eb1.jpg

She's of lovely almost miniature scale but is no toy. Freeboard is just above a low floating dock. She had a diesel back when my dog was inspecting the bulwarks. 

2063213412_Eider2.jpg.71bcc2140a7e15729973e1e95ee58ed5.jpg

Small but a serious no-nonsense boat. 

1679759851_Eiderclose2.jpg.740952b41224a979f34558673c7cf7f0.jpg

EIDER on the stern is spelled out in simple small bronze letters. She will always be EIDER, that's assured by her bronze bowsprit end fitting. 

Eider.thumb.jpg.f0171e8de5a484ac3f941846ec109c01.jpg

• Like 1

Thora, a Ted Hood yawl, popped up in my Instagram feed the other day. 

My boat didn't like my reaction...

ted_hood_thora.jpg

1 hour ago, Matagi said:

Thora, a Ted Hood yawl, popped up in my Instagram feed the other day. 

My boat didn't like my reaction...

ted_hood_thora.jpg

Wow.  

Yeah, you gotta look at that stuff in private you know.  Keep it out of your search history too.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

And the coquette in the foreground?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

EIDER is the little woodie in the background here. I was rowing back to the docks last week and she startled me in the channel on her way out. She's now electric and my rowlocks were making more noise. 

She's of lovely almost miniature scale but is no toy. Freeboard is just above a low floating dock. She had a diesel back when my dog was inspecting the bulwarks. 

2063213412_Eider2.jpg.71bcc2140a7e15729973e1e95ee58ed5.jpg

Small but a serious no-nonsense boat. 

1679759851_Eiderclose2.jpg.740952b41224a979f34558673c7cf7f0.jpg

EIDER on the stern is spelled out in simple small bronze letters. She will always be EIDER, that's assured by her bronze bowsprit end fitting. 

Eider.thumb.jpg.f0171e8de5a484ac3f941846ec109c01.jpg

Is she from this little Stadel Pilot Boat plan?

https://www.woodenboatstore.com/collections/cruising-boat-plans/products/stadel-26-sloop-pilot

She's one of my favorites.  Love the end fitting.

7 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Stink pot I know but it has plenty of sheer oh and the obligatory dog.

img_3976.jpeg.0583661d76b84b467b64cb9d075b2c8b.jpeg

That's one very heavy dog.

Nice boat. 

"How does the anchor grow?"

"Short stay aft, sir!"

16 hours ago, Bull City said:

Ostkust design by Al Mason, I think.  24’ loa

11 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Stink pot I know but it has plenty of sheer oh and the obligatory dog.

img_3976.jpeg.0583661d76b84b467b64cb9d075b2c8b.jpeg

Sorry, but that is a total fail.

Should be in Uglyboats

20 hours ago, Bull City said:

Exactly what I was thinking!