Sailbydate

Coolboats to admire

Yes. It made me do a double take. The brightwork needs attention, but , other than that it is in very nice condition

On 12/23/2020 at 9:08 PM, SloopJonB said:

sensible investment grade sailboats

Surely you jest, sir.

I recommend this thread: "Old racer back to water"

It's by Pertsa, a very knowledgeable fellow, who is restoring a wooden 5.5 meter. Very interesting, good photos. Get in on the ground floor.

On 12/22/2020 at 4:39 PM, socalrider said:

So I actually posted this on the mocking thread because... well they're asking $49k for a Cal 29.  Actually saw the boat yesterday and it is really amazing.  I've never seen a boat in better shape - much better than when it was new I'm sure.  It looks like a Morris or a Hinkley inside.  Owner claims they spent $200k and I believe it.  Just amazing.  If anyone's looking for a perfect 30'-er this is the one; owner's probably willing to deal too.  No affiliation.  

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1969/cal-sloop-3725853/

image.thumb.png.b79cf8f6bbc02601dce1c273f12143e0.png

image.thumb.png.c8ff3f05c182db554b8b745f26aa230a.png

It's at Southwestern. It's phenomenal. Like a new boat. Someone is going to get a steal when she's "got to go". 

6 minutes ago, no shoes said:
On 12/22/2020 at 7:39 PM, socalrider said:

image.thumb.png.c8ff3f05c182db554b8b745f26aa230a.png

It's at Southwestern. It's phenomenal. Like a new boat. Someone is going to get a steal when she's "got to go". 

It's still a Cal 29

Nice but not -that- nice. It's like expending a huge amount of money and effort to trick out a Ford LTD station wagon. Yeah I'm sure people have done that too.

Any sailboat falls in the category of an irrational purchase. But comparing this to other boats in the same price range, the only reason to pick this one is that it has some particular feature you REALLY like, such as your grandpa had one when you were young and you just feel very happy sitting on it, reminiscing.

FB- Doug

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's still a Cal 29

Nice but not -that- nice. It's like expending a huge amount of money and effort to trick out a Ford LTD station wagon. Yeah I'm sure people have done that too.

Any sailboat falls in the category of an irrational purchase. But comparing this to other boats in the same price range, the only reason to pick this one is that it has some particular feature you REALLY like, such as your grandpa had one when you were young and you just feel very happy sitting on it, reminiscing.

FB- Doug

Oh, for sure. I wasn't saying it was a wise financial decision to invest $200,000 into a $14,000 boat. I'm just saying, It's gonna go for $30,000 and someone will get a deal. It truly needs to be seen to appreciate. Its just a 1969 Cal 29, but if you compare it to a late 80's Catalina 30 that has not had a big refit, I'd take this Cal. Just a cool boat to admire. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's still a Cal 29

Nice but not -that- nice. It's like expending a huge amount of money and effort to trick out a Ford LTD station wagon.

More like a '68 Camaro.

• Like 1

Yeah, but which 68 Camaro?  The Secretary special with a straight six and a 2 speed slushbox? Or a SS with a big block and 4 on the floor?

Probably a 327 Turbo 350 with bucket seats level.

When it came out the Cal 2-29 was a fairly high performance boat - lots of stuff was still full keel then.

10 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's still a Cal 29

FB- Doug

I heard an expression used in the motor trade about boy racers putting stripes on cars and thinking that it made them faster, “You can paint shite gold.”

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

When it came out the Cal 2-29 was a fairly high performance boat - lots of stuff was still full keel then.

It was a little sister of the Cal 40 but that was a boat far outdistanced it's racer-cruiser kin contemporaries. The 29? Not so much, at least as far as I recall. I raced a Cal 34 BITD and it was nice but not a front runner.

4 hours ago, Black Sox said:

I heard an expression used in the motor trade about boy racers putting stripes on cars and thinking that it made them faster, “You can paint shite gold.”

Harsh but true

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

It was a little sister of the Cal 40 but that was a boat far outdistanced it's racer-cruiser kin contemporaries. The 29? Not so much, at least as far as I recall. I raced a Cal 34 BITD and it was nice but not a front runner.

Harsh but true

FB- Doug

Yeah I kept thinking how much better spent that $200k would have been on a Cal 40. That’s a boat that (in my opinion) has the aesthetics and pedigree to warrant such extravagance. The Cal 29 is just too similar to a million other GRP 30-ish footers. 

I do think though that the buyer of this boat will get something special for a trivial (in boat terms) premium.  I’d buy it if I were looking for a cruiseable 30 footer.  Easy to put $20k into a $15k boat and not get anywhere remotely near the same finish. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Harsh but true

FB- Doug

I don't know how it looks in hind sight, but the Cal 30-2 raised a ruckus when came out. A lot of the racing community thought it was a rule beater.

https://www.gjenvick.com/BangorPunta/CalBoats/30FootYachts/Cal2-30-HotNewOceanRacer-1969.html

3 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

I don't know how it looks in hind sight, but the Cal 30-2 raised a ruckus when came out. A lot of the racing community thought it was a rule beater.

https://www.gjenvick.com/BangorPunta/CalBoats/30FootYachts/Cal2-30-HotNewOceanRacer-1969.html

1100046875_cal_2-30_drawingprofileonly.thumb.png.613d0e8a88d9d78f8c0322afa0e29c82.png"high aspect 15/16ths sail plan"

The definition of "high aspect" has changed a bit in the last 50 years.

6 hours ago, socalrider said:

Yeah I kept thinking how much better spent that $200k would have been on a Cal 40. That’s a boat that (in my opinion) has the aesthetics and pedigree to warrant such extravagance. The Cal 29 is just too similar to a million other GRP 30-ish footers. 

I do think though that the buyer of this boat will get something special for a trivial (in boat terms) premium.  I’d buy it if I were looking for a cruiseable 30 footer.  Easy to put $20k into a $15k boat and not get anywhere remotely near the same finish. 

Yep, in the process but I suck at making things look pretty.

I have to offer this boat up for consideration.  Just watched this video on the SA youtube channel.

In before "it's a death trap".

8 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

In before "it's a death trap".

I would gladly die in her. A narrow, tiller steered beauty.

Sea Eagle two, I guess everyone has to have a schooner now.  I think they may have called the cops when we tried to anchor near them, ended up going right to haulout so didn't find out but the blue light boat came zooming over when we slowed down. To drop the hook before moving.

IMG_20201230_054939054.jpg

???

Are you saying if you have a big enough sailboat the police will shoo other boats away like they do for military vessels?

4 hours ago, Bull City said:

I would gladly die in her. A narrow, tiller steered beauty.

It has an offset companionway, so, had to nip that in the bud.  :D

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

It has an offset companionway, so, had to nip that in the bud.  :D

Did you think the SA guy was overly mystified by it? I mean, he could have just said, "Off set companionway," and driven on.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 7:42 AM, Bull City said:

Did you think the SA guy was overly mystified by it? I mean, he could have just said, "Off set companionway," and driven on.

Prehistoric skater guy was blinded by all that Kauri it rendered him unable to focus on pressing matters of health and saftey.

Looks like a Norwalk Sharpie

3 minutes ago, Veeger said:

Looks like a Norwalk Sharpie

It does, but they are all hard chine designs.

• Like 1

The owner designed and built the boat himself, just beautiful 

35B0F081-B46E-458F-9378-16F0C17F8BC6.jpeg

• Like 2

Remember when boats got mocked for high freeboard?

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 5:56 PM, OSPREY said:

This just sailed into Bahia Honda key

EF13D975-2754-49DB-9709-45463CB94565.jpeg

How do you sheet the mizzen? I don't see a boomkin.

2 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

How do you sheet the mizzen? I don't see a boomkin.

in the pic you used the boomkin looks like beach.  in this pick you see the white, horizontal boomkin, i think.:

35B0F081-B46E-458F-9378-16F0C17F8BC6.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

Is this a Hood 32? The headstay is on the stem, unlike the H32. 

344639521_Hood32_.thumb.jpg.30898441f0088641b663170e639dfb54.jpg

The Hood 32 has the forestay further aft and the bow comes more to a point.

4142698_20140319091643061_1_XLARGE.jpg

• Like 1

There was a custom 30'er that's been kicking around the Maine coast for a number of years.  I've only seen a few pics, it wasn't promoted by the builder or designer.  I 'think' it could have been a Bob Stephens design and I want to say French and Webb did it.  I haven't tracked it because it is too small for me and didn't have any accommodations.  I think the last time I saw anything on it, it had been spiffed up and re-worked rig-wise.  Maybe this will jog someone's memory...

3 hours ago, slap said:

The Hood 32 has the forestay further aft and the bow comes more to a point.

4142698_20140319091643061_1_XLARGE.jpg

Those boats are gorgeous but if a boat is kept in the water I want a self bailing cockpit.

Someone used to keep a Tempest or Soling on a buoy in a cove near me - it was tarped but it must have sunk 4 or 5 times in the time it was there.

7 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Is this a Hood 32? The headstay is on the stem, unlike the H32. 

344639521_Hood32_.thumb.jpg.30898441f0088641b663170e639dfb54.jpg

Do you have another angle? I want to say IOD but the bow seems wrong.

14 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Do you have another angle? I want to say IOD but the bow seems wrong.

2012-IOD-byChedProctor-1200X460-1200x460

Bow is wrong, forestay isn't far enough back, and there doesn't look like there is room under the cover for the little cabin trunk that's on the IOD.

Focus 800 ds looks close, but is dutch.

uU2Cl7KVnzI9IlKIKrxpab0zjUWoUEeIKqmwJ0j3

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, slap said:

Bow is wrong, forestay isn't far enough back, and there doesn't look like there is room under the cover for the little cabin trunk that's on the IOD.

I agree, but it seemed to be moored off Northeast Harbor. They race Luders 16's and IOD's. 

That Focus does look close.

Tofinou 7?

12 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Tofinou 7?

Bow is close, yes, forestay more forward in the Tofinous, they also look a bit more compact to me.

Here's a video of the Focus, probably Heeg, Friesland.

Great. Now I want one.

Just now, Matagi said:

Bow is close, yes, forestay more forward in the Tofinous, they also look a bit more compact to me.

Here's a video of the Focus, probably Heeg, Friesland.

Yeah, that has cockpit coaming forward of the mast that I don't see in KK's pic. Great looking boat. 

• Like 1

I looked at a Tofino 7 years ago as a daysailor. The bow was full compared to this boat. I thought it was one at first glance, but it doesn’t have a chrome bow tang like Tofino

11 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Yeah, that has cockpit coaming forward of the mast that I don't see in KK's pic. Great looking boat. 

Well spotted.

I would suspect a one-off, mast looks carbon to me. Also 32 ft would be a goid guess, hard to tell.

Bow reminds me of a Spaekhugger bow, a bit, this increasing curve. Rest not, of course.

Smaller, also similar nose

4-0.jpg

Scangaard 21

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matagi said:

Well spotted.

I would suspect a one-off, mast looks carbon to me. Also 32 ft would be a goid guess, hard to tell.

Bow reminds me of a Spaekhugger bow, a bit, this increasing curve. Rest not, of course.

Smaller, also similar nose

4-0.jpg

Scangaard 21

sweet!

3 hours ago, chester said:

sweet!

Be sweeter without that curved self-tacking jib track.  Geez, its a 21 foot boat.  Who can't tack the jib of a 21' boat with a simple tug on the jib sheet?  Plus then you could have a 105 or 110 sized jib, instead of that less than 100 one on the self tacker.  Other than that, it's killer sweet!

• Like 2

The 32 ish day sailor, originally posted by Kris K  with the Tripp style bow did not have the unfortunate self tacking set up that the Scangaard has.

edit: maybe the mystery boat is more like 28 ft

12 hours ago, Matagi said:

probably Heeg, Friesland.

Close, but it's Sneek!

• Like 1

Here's a couple more. The light wasn't great. 

1276175619_Hood322.thumb.jpg.b34463c4adcacd5893a2a8c3fbd71995.jpg

Tiny stern, someone went deep into the line details. Also noticed it had a laid teak deck and a beautiful toe rail like a rim around a piece of furniture. 

739056417_Hood323.thumb.jpg.45aaa916048875e05af0d6b7c4f7a3ad.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

Tiny stern, someone went deep into the line details. Also noticed it had a laid teak deck and a beautiful toe rail like a rim around a piece of furniture

739056417_Hood323.thumb.jpg.45aaa916048875e05af0d6b7c4f7a3ad.jpg

on docks we call them bull rails and they really are the best!

• Like 2

This is a Foxeye. 

Mistakenly called an H 12 1/2  because when first built, most H 12 1/2's were gaff-rigged,... and called H 12 1/2's.

The Foxeye is Marconi rigged(you'll have to trust me because of the cropped photo).

In fact, Herreshoff named this Marconi rigged version, the Bulleye. He was wrong. This is a Foxeye. 

Then the H 12 1/2 was built in fiberglass and it was called the Doughdish. Not only is Doughdish a stupid name, the Marconi rigged version of the Doughdish, below, is called the Foxeye. 

There is a lot of confusion around the H 12 1/2(Fischers Island, Haven,...).

Here's the thing: If it's sailing anywhere near the Fox Islands (this one is sailing in the Fox Island Thoroughfare), and it has a Marconi rig,...it's a Foxeye. Dammit. 

Foxeye_.thumb.jpg.31f85e073d9080a028e4330cb3fdc13e.jpg

• Like 2

Tell us how you really feel.  :D

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 6:42 AM, Kris Cringle said:

1276175619_Hood322.thumb.jpg.b34463c4adcacd5893a2a8c3fbd71995.jpg

If I didn’t know any better I’d say that’s the Spitfire French/Webb built a handful of years ago.

you took that? The boat was sold recently supposedly...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mgs said:

If I didn’t know any better I’d say that’s the Spitfire French/Webb built a handful of years ago.

you took that? The boat was sold recently supposedly...

Bingo!  I knew it.  https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1163183597100267&id=286299924788643

On 1/5/2021 at 7:55 AM, Veeger said:

There was a custom 30'er that's been kicking around the Maine coast for a number of years.  I've only seen a few pics, it wasn't promoted by the builder or designer.  I 'think' it could have been a Bob Stephens design and I want to say French and Webb did it.  I haven't tracked it because it is too small for me and didn't have any accommodations.  I think the last time I saw anything on it, it had been spiffed up and re-worked rig-wise.  Maybe this will jog someone's memory...

Thanks for getting it...

• Like 1

This is next level! I love it, thanks so much!

batgirl.jpg.0cf0d231ff00d5e4b8f217aae17170c5.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

This is a Foxeye. 

Mistakenly called an H 12 1/2  because when first built, most H 12 1/2's were gaff-rigged,... and called H 12 1/2's.

The Foxeye is Marconi rigged(you'll have to trust me because of the cropped photo).

In fact, Herreshoff named this Marconi rigged version, the Bulleye. He was wrong. This is a Foxeye. 

Then the H 12 1/2 was built in fiberglass and it was called the Doughdish. Not only is Doughdish a stupid name, the Marconi rigged version of the Doughdish, below, is called the Foxeye. 

There is a lot of confusion around the H 12 1/2(Fischers Island, Haven,...).

Here's the thing: If it's sailing anywhere near the Fox Islands (this one is sailing in the Fox Island Thoroughfare), and it has a Marconi rig,...it's a Foxeye. Dammit. 

Foxeye_.thumb.jpg.31f85e073d9080a028e4330cb3fdc13e.jpg

12-1/2, doughdish, foxeye, haven.... they’re all wicked slow. 

17 minutes ago, eliboat said:

That gives the onlookers more time to enjoy them

FB- Doug

25 minutes ago, eliboat said:

It's all relative, sailing is delightfully slow. 

I was trying to channel yacht club stuffiness (unsuccessfully), in this case the Casino on North Haven Island.

Talk about slow - their NH dinghy class:

1962032795_NorthHaveninshed(1of1).thumb.jpg.50cae21fcf1f67abab7dba0b0a3d5e04.jpg

Here's it's background from a yacht historian: 

Overview

The North Haven Dinghy is the oldest, continually raced one-design craft in America. Its prototype was a tender on early summer resident William Weld’s yacht ‘Gitana’, as depicted in the 1887 photo in our historical pictures section. Dinghies became exceedingly popular among the Casino community. Members recall a record 96 of them that competed in one Pulpit Harbor Race during the early Forties! And their sails and hulls then were gaily and variously colored (see the photo of the Pettit’s lovely diorama of a race in progress crafted at that time.)

John Alden made the class official in 1919 and took the lines off the original to create an Alden design #. 

1806295167_NorthHavendinghy.jpgWithmeIcannotnotsail..thumb.jpg.092c8de53c55bc5bc7aef266258bcf2f.jpg

Slow, available in glass or plank on frame,  and still popular, more than a century later. 

• Like 2

Hitting that link resulted in some interesting boats. This one is definitely a cool boat to admire! But a winch on the cockpit table? WTF

https://frenchwebb.weebly.com/erica.html

Gorgeous boat though

1 hour ago, On The Hard said:

Hitting that link resulted in some interesting boats. This one is definitely a cool boat to admire! But a winch on the cockpit table? WTF

https://frenchwebb.weebly.com/erica.html

Gorgeous boat though

where do you want the mainsheet led?

1 hour ago, mgs said:

Somewhere other than the middle of my cocktail table. I've seen lots of boats over the years and that's a first. But if that's what the owner wants, then who am I to criticize?

8 minutes ago, On The Hard said:
1 hour ago, mgs said:

Somewhere other than the middle of my cocktail table. I've seen lots of boats over the years and that's a first. But if that's what the owner wants, then who am I to criticize?

I am one of those dinosaurs who is old enough to remember when ordinary mortals sailed yachts without any table in the cockpit ... and cocktail tables were the sort of thing which we imagined might be fitted to superyachts in the Med.

Just now, TwoLegged said:

I am one of those dinosaurs who is old enough to remember when ordinary mortals sailed yachts without any table in the cockpit ... and cocktail tables were the sort of thing which we imagined might be fitted to superyachts in the Med.

Truth be told, I never in my life sailed on one until we did a chartered Beneteau back in 2019. If you aren't racing, it's kinda nice. B)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, On The Hard said:

Truth be told, I never in my life sailed on one until we did a chartered Beneteau back in 2019. If you aren't racing, it's kinda nice. B)

Slippery slope.  Next thing you'll be wanting a real pillow in your berth ;) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

It's all relative, sailing is delightfully slow. 

I was trying to channel yacht club stuffiness (unsuccessfully), in this case the Casino on North Haven Island.

Talk about slow - their NH dinghy class:

1962032795_NorthHaveninshed(1of1).thumb.jpg.50cae21fcf1f67abab7dba0b0a3d5e04.jpg

Here's it's background from a yacht historian: 

Overview

The North Haven Dinghy is the oldest, continually raced one-design craft in America. Its prototype was a tender on early summer resident William Weld’s yacht ‘Gitana’, as depicted in the 1887 photo in our historical pictures section. Dinghies became exceedingly popular among the Casino community. Members recall a record 96 of them that competed in one Pulpit Harbor Race during the early Forties! And their sails and hulls then were gaily and variously colored (see the photo of the Pettit’s lovely diorama of a race in progress crafted at that time.)

John Alden made the class official in 1919 and took the lines off the original to create an Alden design #. 

1806295167_NorthHavendinghy.jpgWithmeIcannotnotsail..thumb.jpg.092c8de53c55bc5bc7aef266258bcf2f.jpg

Slow, available in glass or plank on frame,  and still popular, more than a century later. 

I love the NH dinghy. I always enjoy catching a race in action as I head for the thoroughfare. 

On 1/5/2021 at 4:46 PM, slap said:

that's an IOD

18 hours ago, eliboat said:

I love the NH dinghy. I always enjoy catching a race in action as I head for the thoroughfare. 

Me too. I stumbled on this watercolor on Instagram. 

Screen_Shot_2021-01-11_at_8_22.25_AM.thumb.png.f163cb4ca8d0539264b08fae81fec723.png

• Like 5

23 hours ago, On The Hard said:

I installed this table in my cockpit at the end of last season.  Sailed with it a grand total of once before putting the boat away for the winter.  Don't know how I did without it before.

cockpit table2.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 8:39 PM, SloopJonB said:

High School friend is doing a top to bottom high-end job on a '69 Javelin. Let's not ask why.

5.5 metre class boat from 1951, just look at that hull shape, it is early 50´s after all.

Vesillelaskua.jpg

finallyatopen.jpg

• Like 9

such a sexy stern

6 hours ago, Raz'r said:

High School friend is doing a top to bottom high-end job on a '69 Javelin. Let's not ask why.

The boat Javelin or the car Javelin?

FB- Doug

7 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I was a passenger in one of those when my friend bought one new off the lot. Red with white stripes. You could feel it disintegrating underneath you as the smell of burnt tires wafted in the window.

On 1/13/2021 at 6:52 PM, TwoLegged said:

Slippery slope.  Next thing you'll be wanting a real pillow in your berth ;) 

Pillows, forsooth!

Kids deze daze

• Like 1

La Vie en Rose

Photo of LA VIE EN ROSE

lavie-rose-09.jpg

Gorgeous, I love this open space downstairs.

Full story over at woodenboat.com

• Like 5

When you name your boat 'La Vie en Rose',  you really should have the balls to paint her pink...

4 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

When you name your boat 'La Vie en Rose',  you really should have the balls to paint her pink...

Edith only ever wore black, tho.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matagi said:

La Vie en Rose

Photo of LA VIE EN ROSE

lavie-rose-09.jpg

Full story over at woodenboat.com

I love the way it looks. I see no way of getting privacy in the V-berth however. I like to close the door and let my wife sleep when I get up early. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I love the way it looks. I see no way of getting privacy in the V-berth however. I like to close the door and let my wife sleep when I get up early. 

A curtain would be simple for light.  For sound, ask @Tucky for his secret to silent coffe making in the AM. The guy is a ghost.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:08 AM, Matagi said:

"Downstairs?" Forsooth!

59 minutes ago, Bull City said:

"Downstairs?" Forsooth!

Not to mention that the fisheye lens used to take the pic likely makes “a long open tunnel” look like “open space” 

:P:P

1 hour ago, Bull City said:
On 1/15/2021 at 2:08 AM, Matagi said:

"Downstairs?" Forsooth!

Downstairs in the Salon/Kitchen area to be precise.