Sailbydate

Coolboats to admire

the pilot berth looked pretty cool. That shadow is weird on the bow, it almost looks like it's concave.

What's a B&G control head btw?

I still have the blueprint of the accommodation plan from my time at the Illingworth and Primerose office. The accommodation plan was clever for the purpose. Yes, the bow has a slight flair ie; concave. The boat had problems, being of light displacement, the deadrise should not have been so deep, resulting in a very tender boat with directional and stability questions.

B&G really precursors to the marine electronic world.

Not knowing anything about boat design, how does a boat commissioned by one the most famous if not the most famous sailor if his day get so fucked up?

and what's with the flair? Looks odd. Does it have some advantage?

I also dig the Sweden Yacht next to the S&S sailboat, but on looks the S&S is light years ahead.

She's an Oyster 41. Steven Jones One Ton design, built by Landamores.

what do ya think Bob'oh

2.jpg

1.jpg

Its close to a Tumlaren but it's stern is more upright, keel obviously different (slightly deeper?) and slightly more flare in the bow. Also the cabin is a dead ringer for the ones they put on the wooden Top Hats.. I'm thinking since Tumlarens were popular in Melbourne someone wanted a slightly stiffer and drier Tumlaren.

Maybe Ron Swanson drew this for someone...

Do you know it's history, Gybeset?

for sale on seabreeze the weather site

It's a 1920s Halvorsen, cabin is a later add-on

Fantastic it looks lower wooded than in your first photos. ... and it was designed before the Tumlaren.

The Halvorsen's were smart blokes. They were putting spade rudders on boats before most other designers were still hanging them off keels let alone skegs.

I like how the bow of that boat bulges out a bit. I'm sure there's a name for that, but I still don't know it.

Why is there an enormous winch in the cockpit of that beauty Weyalan posted?

Much more pedestrian than the recent posts, but I saw this on the harbor yesterday and thought it was cool. It was sailing in light air, but we didn't get close while the sails were up. I seem to remember seeing this before and possibly asking what it is, but can't recall...

small-sloop.jpg

So, the flag is Danish but the shed looks Tasmanian.

Which corner of the world is it in?

OK I have to ask. How did you determine the shed was Tasmanian?

My guess is that's the mainsheet winch in the cockpit. Kind of like on FRANCIS LEE.

The "bulging bow" has traditionally been called "flam" although I have never used the term and ever known anyone else who used it. Flam is the opposite of "flare".

OK I have to ask. How did you determine the shed was Tasmanian?

The shed is made of recycled hardwood and corrugated iron, with corrugated fiberglass sheets for the "windows"

Look at the roof sheets, see the rows of light holes in the tin? It was used somewhere else and they were the original nail holes.

They are in the peaks of the corrugations, not the valleys, so presumably don't leak much.

There is no way that shed complies with any sort of building code, just look at the way the fluoro lights are suspended from the roof.

Weyalan also comes from Tassie, so it was a fair bet.

I like how the bow of that boat bulges out a bit. I'm sure there's a name for that, but I still don't know it.

Much more pedestrian than the recent posts, but I saw this on the harbor yesterday and thought it was cool. It was sailing in light air, but we didn't get close while the sails were up. I seem to remember seeing this before and possibly asking what it is, but can't recall...

small-sloop.jpg

Looks like the flush-deck version of a Slipper 17 with a guy in a tinfoil devil suit humping the transom

Well, that's what it LOOKS like!

FB- Doug

I ordered flam for desert once. All I got was some sort of custard. I don't see custard on the bow of that boat.

Flan.

Yummy_Fruit_Flan.jpg

Flag looks Norwegian to me....

Flag looks Norwegian to me....

Yes, my error

Wow!

Wow, indeed.

It makes me happy that there are still master shipwrights & craftsmen in this small, unfashionable corner of the world who can do work this good. Will there still be in 50 years time?

Yes, probably as many as there are today. It's been a specialty trade for decades now and for all that time people have been boo hooing about how "Nobody can do that anymore - it's a lost art". I've heard the same thing applied to pinstriping cars, gold leafing "Objet's D'Art", sculpted plaster ceilings and other types of small volume hand crafts that used to be done on a production basis. The fact that it has been reduced to a small scale does not equate with "Lost art".

Keeriste, people even went all weepy about that scumbag Jesse James "Reviving a lost art" because he was using a sand bag and an English Wheel to form gas tanks for choppers.

I can buy an English Wheel from my favourite tool store - they have them in stock. I can get a boat like that built or restored like that in a couple of places on Vancouver Island - Jespersons and Philbrooks, not to mention Port Townsend - need a 90' wooden schooner?.

All it takes is money - the skills are out there and will remain available.

Easy for me as I remember the flag styled national championship jersey the various Norwegian Champion cyclists wear in the Tour de France.

My guess is that's the mainsheet winch in the cockpit. Kind of like on FRANCIS LEE.

The "bulging bow" has traditionally been called "flam" although I have never used the term and ever known anyone else who used it. Flam is the opposite of "flare".

I guessed it must be for the mainsheet, but what I can't see is where the sheet would come from. The boom, but via what route? Is that thing over the tiller a traveler?

I love flan. Now I know what flam is. I doubt I will ever use the word. I'd have to be talking to someone who knew what it meant.

Tom:

I'm thinkin' the mainsheet might come straight from that wee trav over the tiller straight to that winch. Remember these were real men who sailed these boats. None of that "Oooh I don't want to have to step over that" shit. They worked the boat and they made personal adjustments.

That mainsheet winch is an old Barlow Winch made in Granville, Sydney Australia. Barlow introduced computer assisted milling in the early eighties but I'm willing to bet those winch drums and components were milled by a machinist prior to computer milling.

The tolerances were finer and those winches probably spin more smoothly under load than any modern winch.

small-sloop.jpg

Looks like the flush-deck version of a Slipper 17 with a guy in a tinfoil devil suit humping the transom

Well, that's what it LOOKS like!

FB- Doug

Almost correct; but I think you'll see it's a dog in a tin foil suit humping the transom. It makes more sense.

Am I the only one who thinks it's insane to have a bright-and-slippery pseudo-kingplank running down the middle of the cockpit?

Am I the only one who thinks it's insane to have a bright-and-slippery pseudo-kingplank running down the middle of the cockpit?

I'm guessing there's non-skid mixed in with that varnish.

The shed is made of recycled hardwood and corrugated iron, with corrugated fiberglass sheets for the "windows"

Look at the roof sheets, see the rows of light holes in the tin? It was used somewhere else and they were the original nail holes.

They are in the peaks of the corrugations, not the valleys, so presumably don't leak much.

There is no way that shed complies with any sort of building code, just look at the way the fluoro lights are suspended from the roof.

Weyalan also comes from Tassie, so it was a fair bet.

The shed is Wilson Brothers', in Cygnet, for what it is worth.

Varg ii, beautifull boat! Heard you used the fancy wood to restore her? Any chance on coming to France This year? Switzerland next? Or Will She be in Canada at the worlds in 2 years!

Good luck btw with the absolute winches, we are changing them all out This season. (After two seasons i.e. 5 weeks of Total use in two years).

Do post more pictures! IVe seen Some on Facebook, but love to see more.

Varg ii, beautifull boat! Heard you used the fancy wood to restore her? Any chance on coming to France This year? Switzerland next? Or Will She be in Canada at the worlds in 2 years!

Good luck btw with the absolute winches, we are changing them all out This season. (After two seasons i.e. 5 weeks of Total use in two years).

Sorry, I have absolutely no involvement with the Varg restoration / rebuild. I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that I had any association. It is merely a local project I stumbled upon that I thought was really cool / interesting. So I have no idea what the plans are for the new Varg (although I hear a rumor she will be at the 2014 Cygnet Regatta, which is celebrating its 150th anniversary and is one of the best regattas in the whole, wide, world*.

There is a lot of Huon pine in the rebuild.

I don't have any more pictures. There is a bit more info here http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-magazine/2012/september-2012/Varg_-_the_rebirth_of_a_classic_eight_metre#.Up5Sh8QW18E

*In my entirely unqualified opinion

Sorry, I have absolutely no involvement with the Varg restoration / rebuild. I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that I had any association. It is merely a local project I stumbled upon that I thought was really cool / interesting. So I have no idea what the plans are for the new Varg (although I hear a rumor she will be at the 2014 Cygnet Regatta, which is celebrating its 150th anniversary and is one of the best regattas in the whole, wide, world*

I don't have any more pictures. There is a bit more info here http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-magazine/2012/september-2012/Varg_-_the_rebirth_of_a_classic_eight_metre#.Up5Sh8QW18E

A mere trifle, surely?

Now THIS is a regatta: http://www.regatta.org.nz

Sorry, I have absolutely no involvement with the Varg restoration / rebuild. I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that I had any association. It is merely a local project I stumbled upon that I thought was really cool / interesting. So I have no idea what the plans are for the new Varg (although I hear a rumor she will be at the 2014 Cygnet Regatta, which is celebrating its 150th anniversary and is one of the best regattas in the whole, wide, world*

A mere trifle, surely?

...and I'm sure it is a fine regatta.

Cygnet has a population of around 850

Entry for the 3 day keel boat regatta costs $30 and includes a swinging mooring and a free water-taxi service

Excellent meals are around $10

And the racing is great (see below)

gallery_12748_139_62222.jpg

A mere trifle, surely?

...and I'm sure it is a fine regatta.

Cygnet has a population of around 850

Entry for the 3 day keel boat regatta costs $30 and includes a swinging mooring and a free water-taxi service

Excellent meals are around $10

And the racing is great (see below)

gallery_12748_139_62222.jpg

Nice.

I think this is a cool little boat. Guy has been trying to sell it all summer. Too bad, looks neat

http://burlington.craigslist.org/boa/4225265677.html

Here's the kiss of death:

>Boat Design/Builder was tenured long-term engineering college professor.

I'd sooner buy a boat built and designed by Beppo Marx.

Except that the boat was designed by Phil Bolger and the builder put a modified house on on it. My friend Pat has one built true to Bolger's plans. It's a fun little boat and he has a blast taking it all around from the Mississippi Gulf Islands to Ft Walton and all points in between.

32364_3990949858114_1222033102_n.jpg?lvh

Mr. Moon beat me to it, but I'd say the rotten plywood bottom is probably the reason it hasn't sold.

Notice that I have not yet put up an ad for that old Com-Pac 16 I was given? That's because it's not ready to sail. A boat that must be repaired before being used is very hard to sell for any reasonable price. Projects are cheap. Boats are expensive.

what do ya think Bob'oh

2.jpg

1.jpg

Its close to a Tumlaren but it's stern is more upright, keel obviously different (slightly deeper?) and slightly more flare in the bow. Also the cabin is a dead ringer for the ones they put on the wooden Top Hats.. I'm thinking since Tumlarens were popular in Melbourne someone wanted a slightly stiffer and drier Tumlaren.

Maybe Ron Swanson drew this for someone...

Do you know it's history, Gybeset?

for sale on seabreeze the weather site

It's a 1920s Halvorsen, cabin is a later add-on

Fantastic it looks lower wooded than in your first photos. ... and it was designed before the Tumlaren.

The Halvorsen's were smart blokes. They were putting spade rudders on boats before most other designers were still hanging them off keels let alone skegs.

I've been trying to spot the differences between the boat above and a Tumlaren. The cockpit coaming and cabin trunk definitely look different.

tumlaren_sm.jpg

Keel and stern post are different shapes too, The entire stern is quite different. The Tumlaren has much more overhang aft.. The Tumlaren is very slack bilged while the Australian boat shows a shaddow in that profile pic that I think indicates a firm turn to the bilge.

Harpoon boat, Capo Peloro

image.jpg

hosting imagenes

Wow! What do you do if there is a swell running? Out at the end of that prod you could either be 30 feet in the air, or 30 feet underwater. Bet the top of the mast is no picnic either.

The X-Bows would be an example of "plenty of flam"?

6663FD2055F940248AAD2EBCFF7E7553.jpg

that's a tart (nice looking one, but not as nice as the seahawks tart). Flan

El+Flan+flan.jpg

That looks like what I would call crème caramel. If you order flan here, you get a sweet or savoury thing like a quiche, in a (shortcrust) pastry case. Flan in France is this:

85.jpg

We Now Return You To Your Regularly Scheduled Programming

Harpoon boat, Capo Peloro

image.jpg

hosting imagenes

Wow! What do you do if there is a swell running? Out at the end of that prod you could either be 30 feet in the air, or 30 feet underwater. Bet the top of the mast is no picnic either.

Actually it's a lot easier in waves. The harpooner just hold the harpoon still and the boat's pitching nails the critter

FB- Doug

Attractive Plovput cutter. With crew ashore servicing the Windward blast wall of the famous Prvic lighthouse

image.jpg

imagen jpg

Nice looking boat.

By the way, when did it last rain in Kvarner Bay? Not for a while by the looks. :)

Its not lack of rain its wind.

That lighthouse if downwind of the Senj bura jet and records an average a 70 days per year of force 12 wind.

That why the lighthouse has blast walls on the windward side

The Velibit is one of the worlds great sailing challenges

image.jpg

subir fotos

That lighthouse if downwind of the Senj bura jet and records an average a 70 days per year of force 12 wind.

image.jpg

subir fotos

Whew. And I though Wellington, NZL was windy.

I think this is a cool little boat. Guy has been trying to sell it all summer. Too bad, looks neat

http://burlington.craigslist.org/boa/4225265677.html

Here's the kiss of death:

>Boat Design/Builder was tenured long-term engineering college professor.

I'd sooner buy a boat built and designed by Beppo Marx.

Exquisite Hand-Crafted? That's rich. But I guess that means he didn't use much in the way of tools either? Looks like it.

image.jpg

subir fotos

Whew. And I though Wellington, NZL was windy.

Fascinating! Wikipedia describes it like an unpredictable katabatic winter wind that has a recorded high of 160 knots. What a severe contrast to the mild weather of a Mediterranean summer!

The only thing about the big winds of NZ is that it is only a `hop skip' from the Southern Ocean and the big seas those winds develop are the real story of those weather systems.

Its the sailors friend.

In the modern world there are so many dam boats that waterfront villages, ports, anchorages become constipated with goof balls on sun burnt boats, sporting noisy windmills , barking dogs , who view small villages as a convient place to dump thier garbage.... the local people who live in these villages regard you as a stinking sardine.

When you sail the velibit the bura danger is real and you will be the only boat there.. .... clean open space, gentle locals...its a time warp.

The Abraham Fock of Ameland

image.jpg

subir imagenes gratis

Horses launching boats. Now that looks like a potentially lethal combination.

post-38-0-12244900-1386281226_thumb.jpg

Slugs won't be surprised, but I had no idea that there is a catboat culture in the Adriatic. Herewith a lovely boat, apparently designed by Sciarelli in the 80s, spotted at Torcello in the Venice lagoon last weekend.

attachicon.gifcats.jpg

Slugs won't be surprised, but I had no idea that there is a catboat culture in the Adriatic. Herewith a lovely boat, apparently designed by Sciarelli in the 80s, spotted at Torcello in the Venice lagoon last weekend.

Nice. Love the parrel bead work on the mast hoops.

attachicon.gifcats.jpg

Its a long way from home, even if it was built there.

Yeah sloggo, that's a real beauty. Theres a lot of dignity in those lines.

Hey Amati:

How about dinner Christmas eve? Lorrie's birthday and all that. We do have some tradition going here. I'll try to cook good. I'm getting all excited for the Advocate on the 16th. Anom is bringing his new French girl friend here two days after that. It's going to be a busy time at the shack.

Step stem Fishing boat, Pelagonisi

image.jpg

sube fotos

That bottom paint job is perfect. Great boat, totally all about the job. Very argonautian, needs an eye on the bow.

"...Sweet little fanny. Perky and inviting. A little tumblehome where you want it for snuggling. A guy needs to bury his face now and then."

You do realize of course that 'fanny' is also Brit for the female sex organ don't you? :o

Slug: Thank you for posting the pictures of the 'Hermann Helms', it's the lifeboat stationed in Cuxhaven, North Sea, it's my birthplace. Brings back memories :..) . Those are really brave guys. In Germany, sea rescure lies mostly in the hands of the DGzRS (Deutsche Gesellschaft zur Rettung Schiffbrüchiger, a tongue twister even by German standards). The 'Gesellschaft' is a private foundation. It is completely privately funded and relies heavily on private donations. Sailors can contribute their share through the famous 'Schiffchen': little donation boxes in the shape of a rescue vessle from the old days (when they used to tow them into the boiling sea with horses, see above). You will find them in pretty much every yacht club in Germany. So whenever you should come over, feel free to give some. Now, that's a cool boat :)

2167fd6c60.jpg

Those german lifeboats are fantastic machines. Same with Hamburg and the Reeperbahn

The North sea is a rugged place.

The selfrighting ,sponson fitted , KNRM De Zeemanspot is also a remarkable design

image.jpg

sube imagenes

image.jpg

sube fotos

"...Sweet little fanny. Perky and inviting. A little tumblehome where you want it for snuggling. A guy needs to bury his face now and then."

You do realize of course that 'fanny' is also Brit for the female sex organ don't you? :o

What's your point?

What's the worse any vessel could face?

Let's design a boat to go there and rescue people!

I think that was why I liked the old George Calkin Bartender.

Its a different design as well but I'll take the comments... Designed for that 10-12 knot average speed sweet spot and influenced by a little of the old and new... Let me know what you think... For a 34 yr old with a dream and a passion??

MP52 Trawler

Bow Shot

Bow Shot

Twin Bows

Reverse Bow

And the design Influences....

44classic

Lagoons

fbp64

gb60

barnacle

art58

Others might prefer the look and styling of the less aggressive cabin house option..

M52 Sail Cabin2

MP52 Trawler Cabin2

Tom,

Both version carry trampoline netting forward, the MP-52 Trawler gets a small recessed cockpit forward of house on the foredeck for lounging. The plan was to go for more of a mesh Hobie style trampoline on Powercat since burying the bows wasn't such a concern... The only way to create and keep a cat fuel efficient is build and design it light.

Others might prefer the look and styling of the less aggressive cabin house option..

I like the Trawler.

Thanks Kim,

These help show the look we are trying to achieve... maybe we just built to small or too big a boat to make it happen.. :D

panamaxhouse

Kamax

royalhuisman

Blackpeppertop

Can it be done in a cat...?

Bow Shot

M52 Render

MP52 Trawler

Here is another very cute canoe yawl. It's an 18' David Moss boat, called Nutmeg.

Nutmeg-11-560x371.jpg

I like the solution they came up with for getting the tiller around the mizzen (literally)

Nutmeg-8-560x381.jpg

Kinda squirrely

"I think I'll go choke the squirrel". Doesn't have a real good sound, but better than a chicken head.

Yeah sloggo, that's a real beauty. Theres a lot of dignity in those lines.

Hey Amati:

How about dinner Christmas eve? Lorrie's birthday and all that. We do have some tradition going here. I'll try to cook good. I'm getting all excited for the Advocate on the 16th. Anom is bringing his new French girl friend here two days after that. It's going to be a busy time at the shack.

Christmas Eve sounds great. Unfortunately among the other tides of life, L's dad just had open heart surgery, and etc. etc., so a rain check? One of our favorite traditions is/was the dinner. Much warmth there. Life & time will make distances shorter, no?

P&L

Its a different design as well but I'll take the comments... Designed for that 10-12 knot average speed sweet spot and influenced by a little of the old and new... Let me know what you think... For a 34 yr old with a dream and a passion??

A 52' cat will average 10-12 knots?

What's wrong with an average 10-12 knot cruise speed in almost all conditions in a catamaran trawler concept? Much better than you would get in a standard trawler. Hell even the cruising king, Dashew, 64, 78, 90 ft motorboat passage makers are designed to average 10-12 knts? Remember we are talking catamaran trawler, not full on power cat. Results from the latest ARC show the top boats only averaging 10 or so? Is that not fast enough... Ohh wait I just saw your user name.. My bad.. :)

A 52' cat will average 10-12 knots?

It sure as hell better average that. Otherwise what's the point?

Given that powerboats are appearing in this thread, I'll voice admiration for the deadrise workboats that populate the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries.

stephanie_marie_3.JPG

bunnyhop02.JPG

captcolby03.JPG

Another Chesapeake workboat under sail.

P1060429.JPG