Sailbydate

Coolboats to admire

I was out cruising around in Boston Harbor in my dinghy and noticed this cool looking boat. Any idea what boat this is? I was going to guess a Frers 30-40-something.

13718589_10155093609114251_6904860447799

13775827_10155093609174251_1523533097935

13728983_10155093609134251_3353674194537

I bet that counter in a choppy anchorage slaps like a bass drum.

I have the same on my boat. This boat being on a mooring should avoid most of that, but my boat being on a dock can slap like madness depending on wind direction. I'm used to it, but yes, it some times sounds like a drum.

I know where you're coming from. This was one of my spectacularly bad guesses. I thought it was going to calm down. We eventually moved around to ease the motion.

heave.jpg

My hunch was right. Its a Frers 41. No wonder its so good looking. :D

I was out cruising around in Boston Harbor in my dinghy and noticed this cool looking boat. Any idea what boat this is? I was going to guess a Frers 30-40-something.

13718589_10155093609114251_6904860447799

13775827_10155093609174251_1523533097935

13728983_10155093609134251_3353674194537

That thing could slap me senseless and I'd still love it.

I have the same on my boat. This boat being on a mooring should avoid most of that, but my boat being on a dock can slap like madness depending on wind direction. I'm used to it, but yes, it some times sounds like a drum.

Various remedies available:

http://www.slapsilencer.com/

http://www.cjmarine.co.uk/cj-marine-slap-stopper

to DIY using pool noodles or fenders

http://clackerstopper.com/

I honestly dont notice after about a week and I sleep on the aft queen in the rear of the boat. :D

Something a bit different. St John's College Barge. Several of the colleges had one. Used as changing rooms for rowing crews before the boat clubs had proper boathouses.

Built 1891.

st-johns-barge.jpg

0505-england-0034-w800.jpg

A bit of rowing at Oxford, as it used to be. Bumps racing, the particularly stupid form of racing that they do there.

That would make a fantastic float home.

Oh yes! Very nice.

Lady Helen

14203_733900320057531_59704330337895797_

Ahhhh! Lovely boat

Wait, shouldn't it have either a lady with a parasol, or canvas top with fringe?

Never mind, still beautiful

FB- Doug

tilly-549x351.jpg

Its just a big sunfish with a sloop rig. :P

Sometimes, it's all one needs.

I'd like that a lot better with the cockpit back about 100%

And some seats. What, did they run out of money for a couple of benches?

Something a bit different. St John's College Barge. Several of the colleges had one. Used as changing rooms for rowing crews before the boat clubs had proper boathouses.

Built 1891.

st-johns-barge.jpg

0505-england-0034-w800.jpg

A bit of rowing at Oxford, as it used to be. Bumps racing, the particularly stupid form of racing that they do there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NoGiM26k44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqoMTyXZ5XY

Jeez. We just had a couple of old WWII surplus navy barges. And an old dairy barn. Did they have knitted doilies for their tea set as well?

tilly-549x351.jpg

Its just a big sunfish with a sloop rig. :P

I dunno, that cockpit looks a bit deeper and more comfy. Might not fare quite as well in a capsize either

:rolleyes:

C'mon Rasp give with the details!

FB- Doug

All that Sonderklasse needs is a bit of a chine on the turn of the bilge and it would look something like the New Rambler or any of the other pizza wedges. Actually the foreshortening of the lens distorts the width of that transom in that particular photo.

Then again, maybe not!

Bild4.jpg

That is a cool boat. It was just funny cause the wood brake in front of the mast gave it that sunfish look and the square stern. Love the classics.

Nice boat, but their hiking skills could use improvement.

you don't hike on Lake Stamberg as that would be to closely resembled with work.

that's not what anyone around there wants to be associated with.

I suspect a boat with that hull form likes to be tipped over a bit.

Yar. And in light air you want to reduce wetted surface methinks.

Nat Herreshoff designed a quite successful Sonder boat, called Bibelot. A guy built a replica of her which was the cover story of the July/August 1996 WoodenBoat. The "replica" used a lot of epoxy, and I believe the rig was a new design either because the old plans had been lost or to ensure compliance with the modern sonderklasse rules. In the article they talked about surfing through Camden harbor with the kite up.

Like most Sonder boats, she had a very flat scow-like hull form, although, there are some funny hollows in her ends to shorten her length as measured by the Sonderklasse rule.

JYQCR7f.png

1c0VCgB.png

She's a pretty striking looking boat

lszwSt3.png

NKl3jNO.png

aPdYN8P.png

This is my baby...

I think it is kinda cool and perhaps kinda admirable... Only because i designed and built it myself, if not for anything else.

I have an engineering background but not NA. I have never ever tackled to draw or build anything bigger than a model plane when i was a kid. But doing something like that was a life long ambition.

It is built out of cedar strips, 5 metres long , and weighs 45 kilos. People ask me why it is 5 metres? And i answer them.. because that was the length of my terrace :-)

It rows and rows beautifully.... I do some 10 + mile excursions on lake Iznik- Turkey.

She definately added happiness and fitness to my life which is nearing 60.

post-7850-0-65880100-1469210580_thumb.jpg

A guy built a replica of her which was the cover story of the July/August 1996 WoodenBoat.

IIRC, the article said they got boatspeeds in the teens, maybe even the high teens. Lots of people think that wasn't done until last week (relatively speaking).

This is my baby...

I think it is kinda cool and perhaps kinda admirable... Only because i designed and built it myself, if not for anything else.

I have an engineering background but not NA. I have never ever tackled to draw or build anything bigger than a model plane when i was a kid. But doing something like that was a life long ambition.

It is built out of cedar strips, 5 metres long , and weighs 45 kilos. People ask me why it is 5 metres? And i answer them.. because that was the length of my terrace :-)

It rows and rows beautifully.... I do some 10 + mile excursions on lake Iznik- Turkey.

Lovely. Very cool indeed!

This is my baby...

+1

This is my baby...

+1

What they said - nicely done and beautiful wood.

This is my baby...

Omer that is a lovely boat. Simple and effective!

FB- Doug

Omer, I like everything about that. Well done!

quote name="Omer" post="5393700" timestamp="1469211717"]This is my baby...

This is my baby...

This is a very nice boat.

I have been thinking of a similar project but have not found a design I liked yet.

Would you be interested in selling the design/ drawings?

Cheers

Lost

Hi Lost,

I built this boat 3 years ago. I think i have the drawings. But they are at my summer house. I shall look for them and let you know in a couple of days. Which country are you living in?

When the shiny wears off the varnish it is time for a Grey and White paint scheme.

Hi Lost,

I built this boat 3 years ago. I think i have the drawings. But they are at my summer house. I shall look for them and let you know in a couple of days. Which country are you living in?

Canada but we occasionally get summer here.

Lost

Only info I could find was that this is a Peter Norlin design.

eba5db821b732beb46b5a5e5901c48e3_zpsld17

Looks like a "meter boat" with a cabin added?

I'm going with this explanation. 6 meter maybe 8 meter.

Looks a bit like the old lead mine IACC class bow.

Beauty! Judging by the scale I would guess 6 Meter. The 6s are in the 36~40'-ish size range, the 8s are a good bit bigger

At one point in my life I had a share in an old 6 Meter with an original cuddy cabin. The cabin even had a small pot-belly stove in it (obviously from somewhere up North, my boat partners literally had no idea what that strange iron object was). That cabin was almost as big as crawling under your dining room table. Not ideal for cruising, but it was a beautiful boat (not as beautiful as the one above) and fun to sail.

FB- Doug

Beauty! Judging by the scale I would guess 6 Meter. The 6s are in the 36~40'-ish size range, the 8s are a good bit bigger

At one point in my life I had a share in an old 6 Meter with an original cuddy cabin. The cabin even had a small pot-belly stove in it (obviously from somewhere up North, my boat partners literally had no idea what that strange iron object was). That cabin was almost as big as crawling under your dining room table. Not ideal for cruising, but it was a beautiful boat (not as beautiful as the one above) and fun to sail.

FB- Doug

38 foot long, that one. Apparently.

For a more modern 6 meter, she's pretty good looking and the house was done well.

nice retro-modern.

I'd name her "Tanto".

Indeed.

kobun_1895_general.jpg

That knife would fit on dinghy Mirror. Same shape lol

I finally found a mast on a motorboat that I like, courtesy of Tad Roberts on FB

13895582_1677091145947489_27357213824824

I admire the bow. And the stern. And pretty much everything in between.

I finally found a mast on a motorboat that I like, courtesy of Tad Roberts on FB

Lovely, I really like that look.

What is the thing on the aft deck?

What is the thing on the aft deck?

Fuel tank.

That duck is impressive. What does it rate?

I like that tall ship in Duluth, Semi.

I rarely get in the dingy as a boat paparazzi, but when this beauty anchored in Blind Bay a few years ago, I did go snap a few shots. You PNW residents probably know the boat. I think a couple chartered it as skipper and crew, but I'm not sure. It was nice to watch as they ghosted in under the fore top sail alone and dropped the hook.

179_zpstdpupybi.jpg

And, on the old boat theme, here is a blast from the past that was posted on the front page:

Desktop%20Background_zpsutikjc2n.png

Duluth had a tall ships event:

Tall-Ships-2016.jpg

Thank God for auxiliaries.

I rarely get in the dingy as a boat paparazzi, but when this beauty anchored in Blind Bay a few years ago, I did go snap a few shots. You PNW residents probably know the boat. I think a couple chartered it as skipper and crew, but I'm not sure. It was nice to watch as they ghosted in under the fore top sail alone and dropped the hook.

179_zpstdpupybi.jpg

And, on the old boat theme, here is a blast from the past that was posted on the front page:

Desktop%20Background_zpsutikjc2n.png

Very cool.

179_zpstdpupybi.jpg

SV Alcyone,

Owned by Sugar Flanagan and his wife Leslie.

Built by Bob Prothero back in the 1970's (I think.)

179_zpstdpupybi.jpg

SV Alcyone,

Bingo. I need to dig up the article on it. The Pearson 38 we chartered is in the background. Great trip.

183_zpsefym16om.jpg

179_zpstdpupybi.jpg

SV Alcyone,

Blind Bay on Nelson Island?

That explains me not recognizing anything. In addition to the usual afflictions.

When you get there drop a crab pot, if you like crabs, you won't wait long. Nice little store by the ferry dock too.

My late parent's favorite anchorage. In their International Dragon (yes, they cruised an open Dragon, with boom-tent.)

That's pretty cool, Kim. For me it was an anchorage that I didn't expect much from just by looking at the chart and Waggoners. But, once there it became a special place. I'm looking forward to dropping anchor there again.

Paul Whiting designed special lightweight racers here is something different

479693450.jpg

Paul Whiting designed special lightweight racers here is something different

479693450.jpg

Shannakee (?) cold molded Port Orford Cedar, built in Happy Valley, Santa Cruz by Dave Blair. Alan Blunt (formerly Seatek) has a near sistership and Paul's brother Tony Whiting also has a smaller model, all in Enzed. Great fast cruising yachts.

That's pretty cool, Kim. For me it was an anchorage that I didn't expect much from just by looking at the chart and Waggoners. But, once there it became a special place. I'm looking forward to dropping anchor there again.

It's one of the best hidey-holes for winter cruising when a low pressure system comes through ( as they do, oh so frequently in the winter)

Rapid metal boat construction;

How cool is that?

The owner of this one has a couple of boats that might be (to me) even cooler: he runs the Clark Mills museum and has the original wooden Sun Cat in there and he brought an old fiberglass Sun Cat built by the Sun Cat Co. in the 70s or80s to the Sun Cat National Championships.

But he has a cool old yawl with no ass at all.

14114946_10207161448130268_8265659137937

It's a damn good thing he didn't name the boat MALICE OF FORETHOUGHT.

Clark Mills is one of my heroes. Never met him.

S&S 36 One Tonner

Young Nick. She's beautifully restored. Yours for a little under $100,000.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1149243617.htm

That is the price in AU$. In US$ a bit less, in euro even lower.

Kiwistan $.

S&S 36 One Tonner

Young Nick. She's beautifully restored. Yours for a little under $100,000.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1149243617.htm

That is the price in AU$. In US$ a bit less, in euro even lower.

Kiwistan $.

Is that tied to the drachma?

It bumps over solid obstacles like a BS boat, apparently. Sometimes severely battered, but not yet sunk.