• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sailbydate

Coolboats to admire

13 minutes ago, A horse, of course said:

The owner and designer think of it as a junk rather than a lug rig I think. And the tiller is that long so that, er, it reaches the cockpit. 

They did a good job of getting that complicated rig to set well.

Yeah, paint job needs help. Rig looks rather nice. I see now helmsman is sitting on trav. I'd have to sail it before I believed it balanced well. That's a lot of area aft. Overall I like the look of the rig. Maybe that bland paint job is in keeping with the traditional type they were modelling.

I like the sleeping hole but not the turquoise or the transverse planked sole.

9 minutes ago, chester said:

what's with the tree branch?

It's either a navigating device (for moss always grows on the north side of a tree) or just a hand hold, done in a slightly self-consciously artless way. 

Not so hot on the turquoise interior color scheme and even less enamored with the pointy stern.  But have always been drawn to the junk rig for a variety of reasons.  Just wish it were a touch more weatherly, although on this hull it wouldn't likely much matter....

Not one for me. The halfhull on his bulkhead shows a more sensible rig with a sprit. The silver birch grabpost almost works for me until I saw they didn't trim the stubby side branch which will one day be grabbed, break, and you tumble forward smashing your nose on the kettle which then splashes up and scalds your eyeballs....etc

I have never sailed a junk rig, but I would like too. Seems like an eminently sensible rig with more development time and history than 99.9% of all the other rigs out there. And weatherly-ness...well gentlemen never sail to weather.

I like the black hull colour - reminds me of the Galway Hookers. Peregrine is definitely a coolboat in my eyes.

Junk rig believers say that "new" style junk rigs are completely transformed compared with the first generations, which wouldn't go upwind or downwind, but would be OK on a reach. They do have a sort of missionary quality to them, junketeers, but I'm sure there's something in it. I'd be amazed if Peregrine wasn't much much faster on all angles than the rig as shown in the half model, which is of its inspiration, the Scottish ZULU class fishing boat, which were tremendously successful as fishing boats. 

Oh, and yes, the layout below is clearly a sort of weekending thing rather than a full long time offshore cruising sort of thing. 

knew a kraut junk-schooner once, they had to tack with the engine because they couldn't jibe because of excessive twist: impossible to haul the sail in, top always twisting off resulting in "chinese jibes", broken battens & all, & of course it wouldn't tack without engine, the thing being too sluggish & not enough closewinded. was a concrete offering of a Joshua (Jean Knocker would have been rotating in his grave, only he was still alive then...)

(maybe it's not called "junk" for nothing...?)

If your not going to go too close to the wind, why not do it in style? Like on Valtyr, the Skipivak Langskip from Iceland...

IMG_5666.JPG

IMG_5667.JPG

IMG_5669.JPG

Scandinavians certainly know how to build beautiful boats and do amazing wood working.

I'd like to protest this tendency to glorify the Vikings - they invaded my country, raped the women, kidnapped priests, drank and murdered their way all around our coastline. Frankly they were as bad as the Saxons and the Angles, and don't start me on the Romans.

They didn't give a damn about the wellbeing of us natives, we were here just as a source of gold and slaves. We've been put upon sorely, and the last thing we need to is admire their naval architecture. 

I presume you are a Brit?

If so, the Vikings were a bunch of amateurs compared to your countrymen - who raped and pillaged nearly the whole fuckin' world.

And then coloured it pink and kept it for about 300 years.

At least the Vikings went home with their loot when they were done.

:P

7 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

If your not going to go too close to the wind, why not do it in style? Like on Valtyr, the Skipivak Langskip from Iceland...

IMG_5666.JPG

IMG_5667.JPG

IMG_5669.JPG

That's a lot of strip-planking. That's a woodworker boat, may be one of those amateur built boat by somebody with a lot of dexterity, time and patience. 

3 hours ago, A horse, of course said:

I'd like to protest this tendency to glorify the Vikings - they invaded my country, raped the women, kidnapped priests, drank and murdered their way all around our coastline. Frankly they were as bad as the Saxons and the Angles, and don't start me on the Romans.

They didn't give a damn about the wellbeing of us natives, we were here just as a source of gold and slaves. We've been put upon sorely, and the last thing we need to is admire their naval architecture. 

They donated to the genetic pool as well, helped it quite a bit.

William the Conqueror was a Viking once removed as well, so all your Norman ancestry is Viking with a touch of French...

40 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

William the Conqueror was a Viking once removed as well, so all your Norman ancestry is Viking with a touch of French...

Bastards! Keep England for the, er, Angles...

21 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Not really - just having fun, the same as you.

Given that I have met both of you in person I suspect you two would be a riot together.

We should set something up next time Ed comes to town.

9 hours ago, A horse, of course said:

Blessed are the cheesemakers. 

Well obviously this is not to be taken literally, it refers to any manufacturer of dairy products...

2 hours ago, kimbottles said:

Given that I have met both of you in person I suspect you two would be a riot together.

We should set something up next time Ed comes to town.

Anytime Kim - just PM me.

On 9/8/2017 at 11:30 AM, Trickypig said:

Nothing like a rigid dodger and full cockpit enclosure to make raping and pillaging more comfortable.

As 'glamping' is the full amenities approach to camping, these folks are 'gleaving' -- reaving, raping, and pillaging in style.  I hear they bite the ends of their fenders to get worked up before a SuperSoaker battle.

Viking River Cruises should offer authentic sacking voyages as a premium option. Pull into a river town, and the purser says: "You have four hours in" *checks clipboard* "La Roche-Guyon to steal the altar gold & cut the priest's lungs out, burn the market down, and raid the wine stores.  We'll need you back aboard with your loot & captives by 4pm local for departure and dinner, jackets required please. Enjoy your time ashore."

I trust it was simply a tour of Whitechapel?

Actually, from what I recall from 40 years ago, that would be bad enough.

8 hours ago, A horse, of course said:

I've just been invited to a do in Vancouver at the end of October so I might call your bluff Kim!

That would be worth driving up to Canada for!

The designer thoughtfully provided a nice donut-shaped couch/cockpit in the middle of the boat and what do sailors do? Hang legs over the side.

Really? I wonder what kind of instrumentation it would take to notice the performance improvement, if any. Seems like their weight is negligible and they're adding more windage than they would if they sat in comfort.

Oops. Sorry. I try not to say "comfort" around sailors.

On 9/8/2017 at 8:05 AM, Sail4beer said:

IMG_5667.JPG

At first glance I thought this boat was being humped by a giant, white turtle!

On 05/09/2017 at 0:31 PM, Panoramix said:

No, there are many many options to explore without mimicking old boats.

mugardos--promenade-044.jpg

cig16ext.jpg

This one is a cigale 6 built in France by Alubat

5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

The designer thoughtfully provided a nice donut-shaped couch/cockpit in the middle of the boat and what do sailors do? Hang legs over the side.

Really? I wonder what kind of instrumentation it would take to notice the performance improvement, if any. Seems like their weight is negligible and they're adding more windage than they would if they sat in comfort.

Oops. Sorry. I try not to say "comfort" around sailors.

Yeah, but it's fun to hang your legs over the side.

Those cabin tops on Maram look like the catapult shooter's turret on an aircraft carrier.

On 9/8/2017 at 5:35 PM, olaf hart said:

My great aunt tells me that I'm descended from a bastard child of William the Conquerer.

So I have that going for me.

5 hours ago, kdh said:

My great aunt tells me that I'm descended from a bastard child of William the Conquerer.

So I have that going for me.

I just KNEW I liked you KDH, that seals the deal.

8 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

I just KNEW I liked you KDH, that seals the deal.

I think we all have that connection, successful people tended to procreate madly.

On 08.09.2017 at 10:23 PM, Panoramix said:

That's a lot of strip-planking. That's a woodworker boat, may be one of those amateur built boat by somebody with a lot of dexterity, time and patience. 

What is that thingy hanging off the bow?

Saw this beauty in Menemsha on the Vineyard today.  I was going to guess a 60s Chris Craft but I looked it up and its a 43’ 1957 Richardson Sedan Cruiser.  

charters.jpg

find-us.jpgboat-header.jpg

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Saw this beauty in Menemsha on the Vineyard today.  I was going to guess a 60s Chris Craft but I looked it up and its a 43’ 1957 Richardson Sedan Cruiser.  

charters.jpg

find-us.jpgboat-header.jpg

I dunno....

It's kinda 'drooopy-like'.....

Love the era for powerboats, love the varnish, but not so cool on the Droop

3 hours ago, RKoch said:

Aft end of the cabin ends rather abruptly and unappealing.

I was going to say that it looked like the designer got around to ending the cabin late and tired and decided a line would do. He'd been working hard until that point.

5 hours ago, SpongeDeckSquareFoil said:

Looks like there is some shape to the aft cabin end, but the open doors make it appear to be straight. Have them close the doors for the next pic.

You're so right. Once I zoomed in I could see the doors. 

Here are some candidate coolboats seen at the marina.

This one might be cooler with a rig. Lots of foredeck acreage.

IMG_1280-X3.jpg

This is a forum where there are people who appreciate heavy-displacement cruisers. Not sure what this one is, but it's definitely big and heavy:

IMG_1274-X3.jpg

IMG_1273-X3.jpg

Your dark hulled boat is probably a Hood design centerboard boat with his :whale body" hull shape. Quite fast for it's numbers. His one ton 'Robins" were successful racers.

More pics of the last boat, please.

12 minutes ago, longy said:

Your dark hulled boat is probably a Hood design centerboard boat with his :whale body" hull shape. Quite fast for it's numbers. His one ton 'Robins" were successful racers.

More pics of the last boat, please.

It looked like a Hood to me too, except for the keel and attached rudder. AFAIK he didn't design attached rudders except on meter boats.

27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

The last one is a Bounty is it not?

Or Big Ti herself. The deck house looks too far aft for Bounty.

I might be wrong, but I am guessing Ti.

22 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

My gut level first impression was TICONDEROGA too. The red star looked sort of out of place, should be bronze but there it is!

Image result for TICONDEROGA yacht

Looks like you nailed it! Interesting that the mizzen isn't even hoisted in that pic, while they most likely racing.

3 hours ago, RedRyder said:

Looks like you nailed it! Interesting that the mizzen isn't even hoisted in that pic, while they most likely racing.

Looks like they have a reef in the main, probably didn't need any more power or weather helm.

35 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Looks like they have a reef in the main, probably didn't need any more power or weather helm.

That would be my guess. Except ketches usually reef the mizzen and yawls usually drop it.  Jib  looks like a short LP Yankee...Id say they're probably close reaching, in which case they are going for a bit more neutral helm.

Yarmouth 22

I saw one of these on Off Center Harbor. I wasn't sure to which admiration society (Cool or Ugly) I should submit this one. It is a shippy, purposeful little vessel, however, the turtle-like deck and house remind me of heavy weather rescue boats. It is different, and will surely "turn heads." I imagine it will keep a couple of old geezers out of trouble if the wind unexpectedly gets up.

Y22_2.thumb.jpg.5d2d61f5a4480c95e16671257a777a76.jpgY22_1.jpg.c577a26d9e6db5be9c9e90465fad46f8.jpgY22_3.jpg.d5e54ab15616a36278a152b06c1ac523.jpg

6 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Looks like they swiped the hatch from the Contessa 26.

DSC03608.JPG

+1

I like the lapstrake look!

No offense meant, but to my eye that hump just looks wrong.  On either boat.  Not my cup of tea, I suppose...

5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Looks like they swiped the hatch from the Contessa 26.

DSC03608.JPG

When I watched the video on OCH, I thought, "Oh a Contessa 26."

Just now, olaf hart said:

Strange, but there is a Contessa 26 and a Contessa 32 in our little marina here, south of Hobart.

they get around.

JJ Taylor in Canada built the 26 under license, so there are quite a few of them around here. Nice little boats. I think I have seen two 32's in the last umpteen years.

12 hours ago, valis said:

No offense meant, but to my eye that hump just looks wrong.  On either boat.  Not my cup of tea, I suppose...

I bet it doesn't leak like my sliding hatch.