• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sailbydate

Coolboats to admire

They looks like oversized versions of the 15’ Delaware River Tuckup with underhung rudders. I passed on one last summer:(

442E7A91-38DE-4DB5-A82F-D9FC8C8EAAAF.jpeg

5 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

Back to cool boats. A Norman Dallimore 33' cutter. For sale , listed by Barney Sandeman.

0x0_458_200731652859c3f2cdada9b.jpg

0x0_458_168620432059c3f2d108229.jpg

(Like the dog!)

0x0_458_16426394459c3f2bfa9514.jpg

That is cool all over. Thanks

Norman Dallimore's grandson is involved in trying to restore one of his grandfather's odder boats, the oyster dredger Vanguard, which is the last surviving one of the three vessels from our town that went to Dunkirk. She's initially an odd looking thing, to my eye, but grows on you more and more. Built as a motor powered oyster dredger, the commissioning owner pointed to one of Dallimore's yacht designs and said he wanted a bow like that. 

We'll be coming after the SA community to throw a few shillings in the hat for her restoration shortly! She's in a very bad state now, but is safe.

A bit more here https://www.vanguardtrust.org/

vanguard.jpg.980aaef32f09814f2b1a64ce7c3d88e4.jpg 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

Back to cool boats. A Norman Dallimore 33' cutter. For sale , listed by Barney Sandeman.

0x0_458_200731652859c3f2cdada9b.jpg

0x0_458_168620432059c3f2d108229.jpg

(Like the dog!)

0x0_458_16426394459c3f2bfa9514.jpg

That is a lovely, lovely boat. Tiller, narrowish beam. I love the slender Charlie Noble.

4 hours ago, Bull City said:

That is a lovely, lovely boat. Tiller, narrowish beam. I love the slender Charlie Noble.

Lovely boat, and with a perfect boat dog. Hard kit to find. 

23159348966_e8a2284288_h.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/14/2018 at 10:00 AM, Kris Cringle said:

Lovely boat, and with a perfect boat dog. Hard kit to find. 

23159348966_e8a2284288_h.jpg

The mate looks like an interesting, wiry character. 

While going through my old backup DVD's, I came across some photo's of a schooner I came very close to buying many years ago.  For me, this boat certainly fits into the Cool Boats I admire category.

I don't remember most of the particulars, but it was built sometime in the very late 1800's.

Schooner.jpg.0b3d048b00ca3d2250680d3cc9e21d97.jpg

On 4/13/2018 at 10:53 AM, Sail4beer said:

They looks like oversized versions of the 15’ Delaware River Tuckup with underhung rudders. I passed on one last summer:(

442E7A91-38DE-4DB5-A82F-D9FC8C8EAAAF.jpeg

And you didn't point any of us to it on the Craigslist Finds thread??!? Shame on you......

Although I shouldn't complain, I've managed to resist a fair bunch of sandbaggers that have been offered up the last few years. I would LOVE to have & sail a sandbagger, it would please my grandfather's ghost too.

FB- Doug

I think someone else got to it before I did. My old boss John Brady built it and was a museum piece for years.

missed a flatiron skiff by a day as well..

When I see any goodies I’ll put them up for sure!

Heres a link for the Tuckup 

http://traditionalsmallcraft.com/Tuckups/index.html

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

And you didn't point any of us to it on the Craigslist Finds thread??!? Shame on you......

Although I shouldn't complain, I've managed to resist a fair bunch of sandbaggers that have been offered up the last few years. I would LOVE to have & sail a sandbagger, it would please my grandfather's ghost too.

FB- Doug

Come to Naps where Bull and Bear reside!

The Bull and Bear, 2 more John Brady boats.  The owner flew a bunch of his employees down from NYC while I was working at the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia. They all dropped their briefcases in our coat room and headed out on the Delaware River in the Sandbaggers. Both flipped and returned later with soaked executives in business suits. I guess he didn’t tell them which boats they were going on and they had visions of New York 40’s and Grey Poupon. :lol: 

Looked at this little gem a couple of months ago. 1937 Rhodes Arrowhead class sloop-20’. It’s now abandoned and I dumpster dove and recovered the boom and spinnaker pole ( one end missing off of each to ensure I’m pissed off now) and seems it’s about $1500 cheaper now. 

Now do I pick it up for restoration or should I be smart and never look at it again. Keep in mind that I’m trying to get rid of boats and have 13 now with a few in varying stages of restoration/zombie mode.

00883433-81AC-4DF0-BF23-0C9507FEE686.jpeg

EA5A0BEA-1C1C-4696-A4D0-80DDA539831F.jpeg

6D5A1E14-F2A0-4798-B547-439CAC02DD74.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

The Bull and Bear, 2 more John Brady boats.  The owner flew a bunch of his employees down from NYC while I was working at the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia. They all dropped their briefcases in our coat room and headed out on the Delaware River in the Sandbaggers. Both flipped and returned later with soaked executives in business suits. I guess he didn’t tell them which boats they were going on and they had visions of New York 40’s and Grey Poupon. :lol: 

Looked at this little gem a couple of months ago. 1937 Rhodes Arrowhead class sloop-20’. It’s now abandoned and I dumpster dove and recovered the boom and spinnaker pole ( one end missing off of each to ensure I’m pissed off now) and seems it’s about $1500 cheaper now. 

Now do I pick it up for restoration or should I be smart and never look at it again. Keep in mind that I’m trying to get rid of boats and have 13 now with a few in varying stages of restoration/zombie mode.

00883433-81AC-4DF0-BF23-0C9507FEE686.jpeg

EA5A0BEA-1C1C-4696-A4D0-80DDA539831F.jpeg

6D5A1E14-F2A0-4798-B547-439CAC02DD74.jpeg

Nice, but....  Move along, don't stop, eyes forward....

That's better.  Good job.  You can do it....

NOPE!  I said DON"T look back!  Eyes forward.....

14 minutes ago, Veeger said:

Nice, but....  Move along, don't stop, eyes forward....

That's better.  Good job.  You can do it....

NOPE!  I said DON"T look back!  Eyes forward.....

Too late.

I saw that Alfred Loomis' HOTSPUR is for sale. A cool boat with quite a history.

OK, so definitely a rich man's toy. But, IMHO, mostly (*) cool - if you're going to have a boat for singlehanded daysailing, 60' is doing it in style. Ciao Gianni, by German Frers.  A development of the earlier Saskia Too. Ciao is for sale:

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2009/Multiplast-German-Frers-60-CIAO-GIANNI-2983567/Italy

* IMNSHO, I'm not 100% about the inverted bow. I'm a bit yes-but-no-but.

Multiplast_yacht_for_sale_Ciao-gianni_2365.jpg.9945ae8d1f8b8da0c73a45c417fcf532.jpg

Multiplast_yacht_for_sale_Ciao-gianni_2369.jpg.2e0bb1c20651409874913d4e4b782706.jpg

Multiplast_yacht_for_sale_Ciao-gianni_2368.jpg.256d505ebfa529169fd3ad76b7717aa0.jpg

large_1835466.jpg.758cc17482ffb252796a4fc49fc4fcef.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Veeger said:

Definitely for sailing as the interior is decidedly, umm, basic....

Functional, but not very inviting. I think that's the head hiding behind the bulkhead. A bit bleak for my taste.

5859784_20160804020033168_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

I kinda like it but I can think of better ways of spending a $Mil.

Needs more deck hardware. :D

11 hours ago, Veeger said:

Definitely for sailing as the interior is decidedly, umm, basic....

11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Functional, but not very inviting. I think that's the head hiding behind the bulkhead. A bit bleak for my taste.

In the same way that the average Bugatti owner has 84 cars, 3 jets and a (motor super)yacht, if you want a boat with an interior, you take your Perini Navi. This is just a toy. 

19 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

In the same way that the average Bugatti owner has 84 cars, 3 jets and a (motor super)yacht, if you want a boat with an interior, you take your Perini Navi. This is just a toy. 

I think Ed is exactly on the money about the ambivalence one feels about the size of toys. These uber day sailors have definitely got a bit weird, like this one:

yacht

Spirit of tradition? Really?

But back to Ciao Gianni, it sent me down a strange internet tunnel I'd done once before, stalking the owner, who seems to have escaped from a late 20thC version of The Great Gatsby. By the name of Jack, or Jacques Setton, he got through his Ferrari stage (built his own racetrack to run them on), to conventional superyachts and some real oddities. A recent one was very endearing - called PInk Shrimp, it was a Pacificy type fishing vessel that he converted into a modestly super yacht. I very much like the idea of taking it to the Eurotrash in Portofino and Elba with this:Image result for "jack setton" "pink shrimp"

He also had Andre Mauric design him a very big ULDB sort of thing, which he saved money on by powering with a pair of outboards. 

0mhrrdaSF2lOWo1pPBhz_amaalta-sailing-yac

2 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

I think Ed is exactly on the money about the ambivalence one feels about the size of toys. These uber day sailors have definitely got a bit weird, like this one:

yacht

Spirit of tradition? Really?

Yeah, that boat never made much sense to me.

0x0_418_118522056759c3dea613a01.jpg

On 19/4/2018 at 3:19 PM, Presuming Ed said:

OK, so definitely a rich man's toy. But, IMHO, mostly (*) cool - if you're going to have a boat for singlehanded daysailing, 60' is doing it in style. Ciao Gianni, by German Frers.  A development of the earlier Saskia Too. Ciao is for sale:

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2009/Multiplast-German-Frers-60-CIAO-GIANNI-2983567/Italy

Ignore the money for a moment. What kind of soul needs a 60 singlehanded daysailer?

That is very sad.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Kim and Francis would differ with you.

Ouch.  I like Kim and I adore Francis.

I just hadn't thought of Francis as a singlehander.

I'll have to think about this ... but I guess my failure to connect the two is that while Francis  is evidently capable of solo use, Kim has never plugged Francis  as a singlehander ... and all the pics I have seen of her sailing have had several people enjoying her.

The "NED 2" daysailer looks pretty nice to me, for the same reason Francis does: long, slender, low freeboard, and most important, a tiller. I don't see it as a singlehander. I don't think I would buy one if I had 295 Euros to spend on a boat.

8 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Ignore the money for a moment. What kind of soul needs a 60 singlehanded daysailer?

That is very sad.

The sort of guy who wants to be able to say “It’s a nice afternoon, I’m off for a sail”, and not worry about sorting out crew. 

Id be in that club in a second, if I could. 

19 minutes ago, Presuming Ed said:

The sort of guy who wants to be able to say “It’s a nice afternoon, I’m off for a sail”, and not worry about sorting out crew. 

Id be in that club in a second, if I could. 

But do you need 60 feet?

4 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Ouch.  I like Kim and I adore Francis.

I just hadn't thought of Francis as a singlehander.

I'll have to think about this ... but I guess my failure to connect the two is that while Francis  is evidently capable of solo use, Kim has never plugged Francis  as a singlehander ... and all the pics I have seen of her sailing have had several people enjoying her.

The few times I've singlehanded our big girl is the greatest fun. Our insurance company must have seen me, for we've now got an interdiction, except for the specific purpose of bringing it off the swinging mooring to the pontoon!

18 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

There’s a power and elegance to big boats that you don’t get with smaller LOA. Longer = less affected by waves.

Good point, and usually more speed.

I'm sorry. I was just making a vinaigrette, and thought of this. I won't do it again.

5ade48a759a53_greypoupon.jpg.0a55622d5e062da37c6bd73cde5d7437.jpg