Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spargo

Oracle in NZ

So anyone got pics of the Oracle AC45 sitting down in Sandspit, north of Auckland? I spotted it on a mooring after work last night but it was too dark to take pics.

They're testing between there and Kawau today, anyone got some spy shots?

Score one for NCS!

I know the OR fans are saying there is no substitute for training on SF Bay - local knowledge and all that.

But, with the unpredictable winter wind (and it's cold!), surely they would have been better for Larry to kick the tin for an Antonov ride to somewhere more reliable to train?

Long unbroken stretches of water where they could stretch their legs and really practice flying, warm days and water so they could spend 8-10hrs solid hours out.

(And no 5kt tide to sweep you out to the ocean when things go a bit awry, or the wind shuts down!)

Like the Kawau Bay session that OR has scheduled for early March? Crane has already been booked.

It could just be a training opportunity in warm weather for their Red Bull youth team but ya gotta believe its something far more significant than that!

Score one for NCS!

I know the OR fans are saying there is no substitute for training on SF Bay - local knowledge and all that.

But, with the unpredictable winter wind (and it's cold!), surely they would have been better for Larry to kick the tin for an Antonov ride to somewhere more reliable to train?

Long unbroken stretches of water where they could stretch their legs and really practice flying, warm days and water so they could spend 8-10hrs solid hours out.

(And no 5kt tide to sweep you out to the ocean when things go a bit awry, or the wind shuts down!)

Like the Kawau Bay session that OR has scheduled for early March? Crane has already been booked.

It could just be a training opportunity in warm weather for their Red Bull youth team but ya gotta believe its something far more significant than that!

LE is just checking out his next island purchase.

Ben Ainslie is off to NZ

From his Article in The Telegraph

'A few of us are off to New Zealand this weekend for a special project before a second, slightly advanced, boat is due to be finished by the end of next month. '

http://www.telegraph...en-Ainslie.html

Ben Ainslie is of to NZ

'A few of us are off to New Zealand this weekend for a special project before a second, slightly advanced, boat is due to be finished by the end of next month. '

http://www.telegraph...en-Ainslie.html

Looking forward to seeing boat 2.

Wonder if it will give us kiwis anything more to be nervous about.

The "special project" will be on Top Gear in the near future.

Ben Ainslie is off to NZ

Okay, we all know about the 2nd boat. Where is the 3rd wing? If it is being build in NZ and shipped to the US it needs to appear soon.

Ben Ainslie is off to NZ

Okay, we all know about the 2nd boat. Where is the 3rd wing? If it is being build in NZ and shipped to the US it needs to appear soon.

By 'the end of next month' is BA referring to the end of March or of April?

Must be one of the AC45s that has its foils modified, as they have 3 going to naples.... how many do they have? kawau - ninety mile beach.... different coasts.

They originally have four for the team but may have taken over some of the other loaners .

http://www.dailymail...r-150km-hr.html

They've upset the locals..

Assuming the rumoured tie-in to BAR is true, that will likely get more viewers than all the episodes of AC bloody uncut put together. Interesting.

Remember however May's verdict. "Sailing. Really boring."

Wow the potential of "sailing really boring" on Top Gear!!

Wow are they (and we) going to have some fun!!!

Thank you LE

goddamn! buses trundle down 90 mile beach daily!

great trip btw, thoroughly recommended!

When did you last do it?

It has been greatly improved over the last few years!

Labour weekend 2008.

* Flew to Auckland for an overnight in Orewa.

* Drove next day to Kaikohe via Dargaville, Tane Mahuta etc..

* Next day to the Cape & 90 mile beach.

* Slow all day drive to Keri Keri

* Next day Keri Keri and day after Waitangi/Pahia/Russell

* Next day drive to Auckland via Whangarei and then fly home.

Was magic!

Only regret was wife not being able to sand toboggan due to being 4 months preggars

goddamn! buses trundle down 90 mile beach daily!

great trip btw, thoroughly recommended!

When did you last do it?

It has been greatly improved over the last few years!

Labour weekend 2008.

* Flew to Auckland for an overnight in Orewa.

* Drove next day to Kaikohe via Dargaville, Tane Mahuta etc..

* Next day to the Cape & 90 mile beach.

* Slow all day drive to Keri Keri

* Next day Keri Keri and day after Waitangi/Pahia/Russell

* Next day drive to Auckland via Whangarei and then fly home.

Was magic!

Only regret was wife not being able to sand toboggan due to being 4 months preggars

I take it did - great fun eh!

, that will likely get orders of magnitude more viewers than all the episodes of AC bloody uncut put together. Interesting.

fixed

Sandspit today

Looks like foils!

Go Sir Ben, brown pants would be good, teach them for saying sailing is boring!!

That's a fun read. Great show.

I remember one episode where he has a Corvette ZR1 that he takes from 0 to 200MPH in...

One gear!!!

Ran out of airport runway or he could have just kept accelerating.

I do hope BA gets their asses wet on that 45.

We did some digging and found evidence that Top Gear’s awesomeness will pit a winged AC45 helmed by Ben Ainslie and crewed by OTUSA boys against a rally car hauling ass across 50 km of famous sand dunes on the poorly named Ninety Mile Beach in the Far North of New Zealand.

Top Gear comes up with some offbeat ideas but let's see how brother Ben and the Top Gear crew organise a cat vs car contest of opposite sides of the country.

Sandspit is on the east coast. Ninety mile beach is on the west coast. 196km apart as the crow flies. I wonder how they'll do it? One races up west coast the other east coast? Or they chopper the AC45 to the west coast? Seems unlikely,.......

post-38153-0-30101100-1362880901_thumb.png

Really does not make any sense to try to pit an AC45 vs a car.

Hell, even a 50cc scooter would beat an AC45 in most contexts.

The fact that OR can do this really does drive home the point that they are over resourced.

I know it won't have cost them any $$$, but the ability to send one of the world's best sailors on a "junket" to the other side of the world is kinda nuts.

On the plus side, this will be best publicity that the AC will get.

The fact that OR can do this really does drive home the point that they are over resourced.

I know it won't have cost them any $$$, but the ability to send one of the world's best sailors on a "junket" to the other side of the world is kinda nuts.

They're doing it just for Dana.

Just the thought of Clarkson on a foiling AC45 doing some screaming runs (no pun intended)

would make great TV especially if he came up with a great punch line from the tramp.

How many other stunts like this has clarkson done and how has that made any big impact on another sport in the long term. This is a promo for Ainslie.

*sigh* She really does struggle to keep a firm grasp on reality doesn't she?

How many other stunts like this has clarkson done and how has that made any big impact on another sport in the long term. This is a promo for Ainslie.

I don't think any promo even would make an impact on ANY sport long term.

It only has to bump interest up till June when the racing starts.

From memory the modified OTUSA AC45s that hydrofoiled had the board cases in front of the front crossbeam, not behind in barnyb's photo at sandspit (the originals were filled in). They could have put the foils on a regular racing (not testing) 45 however.

The sad thing is I don't think she's alone in this regard with respect to many of the kiwi fans.

Just read Clean's comment from GD about the benefit of stable foiling, which undermines most every post on the NZ thread for the last 6 months.

Another shot if it helps.

I didn't take the shots. They were sent to me by a sleeper cell I have up there keeping a watch on Core B)

Another..

post-33465-0-46137800-1362891175_thumb.jpg

post-33465-0-60753600-1362891370_thumb.jpg

The sad thing is I don't think she's alone in this regard with respect to many of the kiwi fans.

Just read Clean's comment from GD about the benefit of stable foiling, which undermines most every post on the NZ thread for the last 6 months.

Not sure it does SWS.

I think the point was that when ETNZ 1 was first launched it was foiling stably but required enormous foils to do so, in contrast to OR that had small foils but couldn't foil stably.

Since then, I think we have seen a move to the middle where each team has traded off in order to get better nett speed.

Even Nick Holroyd said in a January interview that ETNZ would be going for smaller, less draggy foils at the expense of stability.

So, I think stable foiling is still the nirvana for both teams, but just not "at all costs" such as ETNZ 1 had.

The recent RG vid does show a pretty flaky NZL5 in the reach but pretty stable downwind.

Presumably they are trying to figure out if this is a better proposition than having the bigger foils?

^ So are you suggesting this AC45 will not foil?

If they are going to be taking tourists ( Clarkson etc. ) on board perhaps not .

^ So are you suggesting this AC45 will not foil?

If they are going to be taking tourists ( Clarkson etc. ) on board perhaps not .

Presumably Clarkson will be the numpty racing the car along the beach?

Awsome to read. I love Top Gear, well the real one. The American version is shit.

WetHog :ph34r:

Agreed. I only just recently watched an episode of the US version and was really underwhelmed.

Its weird, the jokes are the same but the presenters just seem to lack the natural sense of comedy to make them work.

Is it just me or does ninety mile beach sound like a red herring? So beaches close to sandspit that they could do this....... Omaha?

red herring from what though? its not like they are going to divert any attention from boat 2 or boat 1 for that matter.

the whole sailing world is presumably watching them like a hawk.

Presumably Clarkson will be the numpty racing the car along the beach?

The usual form in the "car versus something" races (which is a staple format) is that Clarkson drives while May and Hammond do the other thing. And the car almost always wins - but only by a few seconds. And yes, Clarkson's persona is that of professional idiot.

It's a classic formula of three men talking bollocks. It's getting a bit repetitive after God-knows how many series but this should be fun.

Not nuts at all. Assuming this happens, it will be a huge publicity coup for all concerned. Top Gear is shown in 170 countries with a claimed viewship of 350M http://www.cbsnews.c...in6978679.shtml

Why do you think movie stars and rock legends make their way from across the globe to sit in a converted paint shop on a disused airfield in Surrey?

Not nuts at all. Assuming this happens, it will be a huge publicity coup for all concerned. Top Gear is shown in 170 countries with a claimed viewship of 350M http://www.cbsnews.c...in6978679.shtml

Why do you think movie stars and rock legends make their way from across the globe to sit in a converted paint shop on a disused airfield in Surrey?

Because there aren't many blokes on earth that wouldn't want to have a go in the reasonably priced car. Ben is an Aston owner too so his car history will be interesting too.

Is it just me or does ninety mile beach sound like a red herring? So beaches close to sandspit that they could do this....... Omaha?

Agreed. Could be the 90 mile beach event is not the AC45 event.

The evening news presented a detail about the Maori concerns: TG didn't just want to run a race, they asked the council to have the beach closed, and the council neglected to get the tribe's permission. Can't fault them for being miffed about that.

Because there aren't many blokes on earth that wouldn't want to have a go in the reasonably priced car. Ben is an Aston owner too so his car history will be interesting too.

But he is very arguably a better sailor than Dean Barker and he is only being used as some sort of publicity tool.

Just seems a hell of a waste.

^

BA wants his own AC team and he doesn't have a tame $B. Best get used to fund-raising and PR stunts.

Because there aren't many blokes on earth that wouldn't want to have a go in the reasonably priced car.

You are talking about people who could hire track and cars for themselves and their friends any time they like. They are there for the publicity.

But he is very arguably a better sailor than Dean Barker and he is only being used as some sort of publicity tool.

Just seems a hell of a waste.

Any thing that raises the profile of the AC and helps BA get the backing for his own team in AC35 is OK with me.

EMcC's appearance on Top Gear did a lot for her profile in the UK and showed the masses what fantastic skills sailors have - she doesn't even drive on the road !

Can't wait to hear Clarkson's screams when they send it on the 45 !

Because there aren't many blokes on earth that wouldn't want to have a go in the reasonably priced car.

You are talking about people who could hire track and cars for themselves and their friends any time they like. They are there for the publicity.

Sorry, I may have got a bit carried away with saying blokes on earth, but for Brits specifically I would have said that it is as much a recognition of success as it is in terms of publicity.

The way that the shows guests go it seems to me that the producers try to strike a balance between international names promoting there latest stuff and more homegrown talents who are simply national names who have made it and people might be interested in. Being a Beeb show I expect that they have some sort of requirement to do the public interest side too from the BBC charter.

I really can't see AC whoever calling up Top Gear and trying to get him a slot. However I can see the Top Gear producers looking for a new 'race idea' trawling through their Brits to interview list, going:

Associate Producer 1: "ah this BA guy is about to be knighted, I saw loads of him last summer. He could be a good shout. Maybe we could do some sort of sailing boat race."

Associate Producer 2: "oh yeah, I like a bit of sailing. They've got these amazing new boats that are going way faster than they used too. Actually look pretty good too."

Head Producer: "Awesome, a genuinely new idea. And we can get Clarkson to say something really offensive about NZers like telling them that Wales has better sheep"

Wouldn't it make more sense for SBA if the AC45 in NZ was rebranded in J P Morgan's colours?

Wouldn't it make more sense for SBA if the AC45 in NZ was rebranded in J P Morgan's colours?

Absolutely. Unless BAR has been terminated/bought by OR. Which would also not make any sense - they got BAR in their pockets anyhows. Top gear or not - there is no reason Ben should skipper OR boats. Something is fishy. PR stunt? Disinformation campaign?

where do we get so many nut bags? why is this a difficult concept for you to understand?

Theres so much more publicity stuff going on from the UK.

I have friends who live nearby who said that they saw Bear Grylls there with his camera crew as well.

He was spear fishing off the back of the same AC45. He slept on the boat on the mooring and then when the breeze turned SW he drifted out to Kawau Island on tractor innertubes tied together with flax rope he made himself.

It will be in his next series.

where do we get so many nut bags? why is this a difficult concept for you to understand?

Please share your ultimate wisdom

A sailing precedent has already been set by TG when they had Elen MacArther do the show . Clarkson and the studio audience were completely in awe of her accomplishments and treated her like a queen. I'm a TG regular and it is the highest rated show on the BBC with a HUGE budget. They can pretty much pull off anything they want . The American version has neither the budget nor the rapor between the hosts .

Some less than good coverage of Top Gear in the Oz Fairfax Press:

http://www.theage.co...0307-2fodu.html

Good grief! What stuns me the most is that anyone takes these guys seriously!

My wife and I joke that we don't like white people (I'm white) or asians (shes asian), but does anyone think we are serious???

If you believe almost any of that stuff that comes out of their mouths, you need a reality check.

If you think they believe it, you are beyond hope.

Clarkson injured his hand punching out Piers Morgan. Learning this news greatly improved my regard for Clarkson.

Clarkson injured his hand punching out Piers Morgan. Learning this news greatly improved my regard for Clarkson.

Really? Cool! Good for Jeremy.

Do you have a link to the news article?

I am a retired african american with asian ancestory who immigrated to Australia in my wheelchair with my lesbian lover on our motorbikes. And I am sick of Jeremy Clarkson and his buddies.

Ps I also support Artemus, want the 12 meters back and think EB is a good guy!

^

Love the bit about the Palmerston North Airport!

Only in NZ!!

I had some mate's from Australia that flew from Auckland to Wellington.... Tried to land in Wellington three times, was too windy so diverted to Palmerston North Airport. I drove 1.75 Hrs from Wellies to Palmy to pick them up. I turn up at the Airport at 1145ish at night. My Mates were left Alone at the Airport and told to "Just lock up on the way out mate if you can "... They could not believe it.

I had some mate's from Australia that flew from Auckland to Wellington.... Tried to land in Wellington three times, was too windy so diverted to Palmerston North Airport. I drove 1.75 Hrs from Wellies to Palmy to pick them up. I turn up at the Airport at 1145ish at night. My Mates were left Alone at the Airport and told to "Just lock up on the way out mate if you can "... They could not believe it.

Thats pretty bullshit. They should have put them up in the morning including dinner and then flown the next morning.

Thats pretty bullshit. They should have put them up in the morning including dinner and then flown the next morning.

They were fine they had to be in Wellington that night. They just couldn't believe someone trusted them to leave them in the airport by themselves and to lock up on the way out

They were fine they had to be in Wellington that night. They just couldn't believe someone trusted them to leave them in the airport by themselves and to lock up on the way out

Meh, had they done anything untoward, where were they to hide?

ORACLE TEAM USA (@OracleTeamUSA)

3/11/13 10:55 AM

Our sailors and crew are planning on training with the #AC72 in San Francisco Bay today. Stay tuned for details or schedule updates.

edit, oops wrong thread

Meh, had they done anything untoward, where were they to hide?

And to be honest, looking at Palmy airport how much could they really devalue the place with a molitov cocktail?

If you believe almost any of that stuff that comes out of their mouths, you need a reality check.

Well, no.

Clarkson is not acting out a satirical portrait of a right-wing upper middle-class middle-aged white man. That is exactly what he is. He is well-connected to the present leadership of the British Conservative party. He was - possibly still is - best mates with (former) members of Murdoch's inner circle. These are not social milieu in which lefty vegetarian Prius drivers would find themselves at ease. He was, apparently, considering a move into politics a few years ago. He certainly uses Top Gear but more especially the journalistic opportunities which his Top Gear fame have opened to him to present right-wing views.

I too am a middle-aged middle-class male and I have a four year old inside who likes to shout "wee, bum, willy". There's no doubt Clarkson has that inner four year old in spades and likes to indulge him. To that extent, you are correct that he likes to shock and you can't assume he believes everything he says. But broadly, there's little doubt that what he says is pretty much what he believes. Not every word but broadly.

What's more interesting is that this isn't presented in a particularly attractive way. His persona, as I've said elsewhere, is that of a professional idiot. He is presented as something of a boor and a bully. I've no doubt at all he is complicit in this portrayal and he evidently has fun with it. It's these ambiguities that have given Top Gear the legs to last so many series while other car programmes have come and gone.

These are not social milieu in which lefty vegetarian Prius drivers would find themselves at ease.

If you include vegans, you just insulted 1/3 of California, and BTW, for some reason, Toyota seems to have a major problem with the brake lights in Prius's.

I happen to be in the other 2/3'rds.

What's more interesting is that this isn't presented in a particularly attractive way. His persona, as I've said elsewhere, is that of a professional idiot. He is presented as something of a boor and a bully. I've no doubt at all he is complicit in this portrayal and he evidently has fun with it. It's these ambiguities that have given Top Gear the legs to last so many series while other car programmes have come and gone.

Having them come to New Zealand has made me realise just how over Top Gear I really am, once upon a time I used to actually really enjoy it, but now everytime I watch they seem to be basically just going out of their way to attack something or other they disagree with. It got very boring very fast in the last few seasons.

Once upon a time they were geuinely funny, now they are just ignorant, racist, sometimes genuinely irresponsible imbeciles that have become about as amusing as watching a potatoe grow.

The only vague attraction left is they sometimes have interesting cars, but now if it's a car they don't happen to like they will basically engineer a situation where it is destined to fail and you might as well change channnel as you know your not going to get anything useful from it.

Top gear started catering for the American audience hence the decline and actual worthlessness in the show. Not to say it doesn't show itself as a wonderful 60 minutes of shit, with the occasional point of interest but hey... Its tv.

The last Top Gear Special was brilliant, the roadtrip to the origins of the Nile.

Its not often you see places like Uganda and Burundi and makes you realize how beautiful Africa really is:

^

Yes, especially part 2. A very positive portrayal of what has (in parts) been a troubled region of the world and of its people.

Top Gear

Love the show , reruns and all. It's the only auto show my wife enjoys watching with me . Subscribe to the mag which is by far the best of the eight monthlys I receive. Apparently this is the last season , I will be sad to see it go, anti US comments and all .

The last Top Gear Special was brilliant, the roadtrip to the origins of the Nile.

Its not often you see places like Uganda and Burundi and makes you realize how beautiful Africa really is:

They do have their moments occasionally, the one where they crossed South America was pretty awesome to.

327IZgW.jpg

Haha, that was a good one (and also quite true).

They are probably the most recognizable tourists....

...in the world.