Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

go or no go?

Some of you have probably seen this before, but I just happened on it the other day and thought it was interesting, so here. This was someone's idea of a 'kit boat' for the third world: Some chunks of PVS and a pile of timber.

Do you think it will come together into something useful, or is it just yet another dumbass landlubber's idea that will 'change sailing forever'? Those of you that already know the answer...give the rest of 'em a few minutes.

microPVC.jpg

Ugh. Shit like that is fun for a one day boat building contest / beer can regatta around the marina, but otherwise it'll most likely just turn off people to sailing. I understand this for the third-word, but I would like to believe there is a better idea out there. ...especially one that doesn't end up with splinters in your ass.

Not sure what it'd be used for--fishing maybe? But won't be able to carry much. Even at a $100 bucks it's too expensive for most thrid worlders and then what do they have?

I think Dave L has it right. Most would be turned off to boating/sailing/etc by something like this. For a couple thousand, ship em used hobie cat 16's, 14's etc. If it's a philanthropic motivation, it'd be easier to raise funds for buying and shipping them. As a niche entrepreneurial market---I'm holding onto my wallet.

Btw, is Ugly a requirement for something cheap? or just a synonym?

Is this the same as the Catfish project that the US Naval Sea Cadet Corps is working on? I saw one at Bradley Airport in Hartford on display. Looked solid and seaworthy, though not very fast. If I recall the concept was to distribute plans for a boat that could be built with available materials.

isnt that so true , its kits and ideas like this that put the capital A in Anarchy.

Not the mega buck carbon fibre everything, cuben fibre sail mentality, ...not to say that this is not cool , but that stuff gets acceptance across so many levels thats its not so anarchist at all.

Not so the kits mentioned above, which i bet have little acceptance...

http://www.rebelcat.com/

guy seems like he's having fun and building super cheap boats. This dude is the real anarchist.

From http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=18205&start=15:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh13/maverick-916/minicat018.jpg

The inspiration was to see if I could improve upon a more primitive design that I found on the internet. This guy had a picture of a boat that he had built to sail on for transportation across this lake that he discovered in Brazil. The man was an American visiting Brazil and he spent like three months camping on a little Island. He decided to build this little catamaran so he wouldn't have to paddle every where. It had a single sail made from plastic sheeting. I'll see If I can find a link to the site. This guy has built many other versions that are all bigger and more complex.

It was simply a project to keep me busy during last winter. My ultimate plan was to design and build a sail boat that someone could build at home with no special tools or knowledge, that was collapsible for transportation, something that would be reasonably affordable for most, and all the parts (including sail material and blocks)would be available at either a Home Depot, Lowes or a well supplied local hardware store (well, accept for the PVC pontoons). no cheating using West marine for anything! I documented every single step of the construction with photos and documented all measurements, supplies, materials and cuts(including sail plans). I was going to make my own little web site and sell the plans like for $5 bucks and then decided that know one would probably want to build it realistically so I aborted the idea of completing the final stages of the plans and website.

My little boat actually sailed very well believe it or not considering that the cost of it was under $300 and my first attempt! The blue prints were generated on windows paint!! It had a sliding center board and a kick up rudder for beaching, a main sail, a jib and a reacher or genoa up front on a bow sprit!...certainly not high performance, but no slug either for a garage creation, wind powered contraption. It was SUPER FUN to build and Fun to sail around on the lake.

Kids were spotted surfing on discarded hollow-core doors here in the Rockaways nyc. I can see this project catamaran taking off.

Foiling. Okay, could probably do that for 15$ more in materials..

read the original story when he was developing it in brazil

he may have posted here?

think it's a great idea

no uglier than an opti

timber and water-main piping should be available everywhere

looks like it would make a reasonable fishing platform that could even accept oars

Love It! Clip made me contemplate and conclude that I really did have more fun at age 13 messing around in boats made from junk timber, pilfered canvas blinds and old oil drums, than I do these days worrying over epoxy carbon Dyneema woteva. There's a hundred variations on this guys theme but if his direction gives him the million dollar grin - more strength to him !!!

Love It! Clip made me contemplate and conclude that I really did have more fun at age 13 messing around in boats made from junk timber, pilfered canvas blinds and old oil drums, than I do these days worrying over epoxy carbon Dyneema woteva. There's a hundred variations on this guys theme but if his direction gives him the million dollar grin - more strength to him !!!

+1

Fond memories of a boat you could leave on the beach with sail flapping.

This is just freakin' awesome. Sailing version of the Chevy industructable soccer ball. I want to build one with my kid!

I'll stick with the PDRacer.

From http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=18205&start=15:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh13/maverick-916/minicat018.jpg

The inspiration was to see if I could improve upon a more primitive design that I found on the internet. This guy had a picture of a boat that he had built to sail on for transportation across this lake that he discovered in Brazil. The man was an American visiting Brazil and he spent like three months camping on a little Island. He decided to build this little catamaran so he wouldn't have to paddle every where. It had a single sail made from plastic sheeting. I'll see If I can find a link to the site. This guy has built many other versions that are all bigger and more complex.

It was simply a project to keep me busy during last winter. My ultimate plan was to design and build a sail boat that someone could build at home with no special tools or knowledge, that was collapsible for transportation, something that would be reasonably affordable for most, and all the parts (including sail material and blocks)would be available at either a Home Depot, Lowes or a well supplied local hardware store (well, accept for the PVC pontoons). no cheating using West marine for anything! I documented every single step of the construction with photos and documented all measurements, supplies, materials and cuts(including sail plans). I was going to make my own little web site and sell the plans like for $5 bucks and then decided that know one would probably want to build it realistically so I aborted the idea of completing the final stages of the plans and website.

My little boat actually sailed very well believe it or not considering that the cost of it was under $300 and my first attempt! The blue prints were generated on windows paint!! It had a sliding center board and a kick up rudder for beaching, a main sail, a jib and a reacher or genoa up front on a bow sprit!...certainly not high performance, but no slug either for a garage creation, wind powered contraption. It was SUPER FUN to build and Fun to sail around on the lake.

Nice work.

I think it's cool - and regardless of how it might be used & by who I wish I had the time to create something like this just to get my hands dirty .... S'funny I used to when I was a kid in the back yard with logs / nails / hammer - then I got an optimist which didn't sail as well ... Then it all changed ... What a hoot

i'd be worried about destroying that boat with that code zero on that prod

in anything but a drifter...

There's some video of her sailing in some breeze; no problem. I'll dig it up

There's some video of her sailing in some breeze; no problem. I'll dig it up

built

Spent too much on the sails...