blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

That is almost the natural repose of a Hobie that has blown over.  Don't ask me how I know.  Some lazy ass tried to leave it floating at the dock.  It only takes one 20 knot gust under the tramp to flip it over.  Then, it looks like, it was left until the port hull filled with water.  (Alternatively, someone left the port-side plug out. Don't ask me how I know about that, either.) Actually looks like a stock tramp and the stock mast with standard rigging intact - seller just doesn't know what it is.  You could probably pull it upright by walking the halyard around to the dock and giving a steady pull.  But who knows how long it's been like that?    

• Like 1

15 hours ago, toddster said:

That is almost the natural repose of a Hobie that has blown over.  Don't ask me how I know.  Some lazy ass tried to leave it floating at the dock.  It only takes one 20 knot gust under the tramp to flip it over.  Then, it looks like, it was left until the port hull filled with water.  (Alternatively, someone left the port-side plug out. Don't ask me how I know about that, either.) Actually looks like a stock tramp and the stock mast with standard rigging intact - seller just doesn't know what it is.  You could probably pull it upright by walking the halyard around to the dock and giving a steady pull.  But who knows how long it's been like that?    

Heh. Another person with a fun list of things he knows but should not.

The ad that Steam posted said they're good hulls, so I guess that means it's known that the flooded one holds water?

On 11/10/2018 at 2:00 AM, Steam Flyer said:

That's one of the stupidest boats I have ever seen.

Looks like it's made of Corian countertop material.

Reminds me of this little bundle of fail:

300px-Russian_monitor_Novgorod_(scale_mo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_monitor_Novgorod

Approx 100' in diameter, 2500 tons and 3360 HP into six props, she made 6.5 knots and reportedly was almost impossible to steer.

FB- Doug

Ah, the Russian Coracle of Iron.   It really does what the designer was asked to do, i.e. I want to be able to have heavy guns for port defense in the shallowest water possible.  

It was not in the requirements that it move at a useful speed...

I find it funny that it spins like a Disney Mad Tea Party ride cup if you fire one of the off-set cannon.    Just have to time it to shoot the opposite cannon after one revolution to stop or reverse the spin.

The more I look at it, the more it looks like a Steampunk vision of the Lost in Space Jupiter 2.

j2-2.jpg

J2-1.jpg

- Stumbling

27 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Ah, the Russian Coracle of Iron.   It really does what the designer was asked to do, i.e. I want to be able to have heavy guns for port defense in the shallowest water possible.  

It was not in the requirements that it move at a useful speed...

I find it funny that it spins like a Disney Mad Tea Party ride cup if you fire one of the off-set cannon.    Just have to time it to shoot the opposite cannon after one revolution to stop or reverse the spin.

The more I look at it, the more it looks like a Steampunk vision of the Lost in Space Jupiter 2.

j2-2.jpg

J2-1.jpg

- Stumbling

Wow, that looks like it could operate in shallow water, all right.

The funny thing about the Russki Iron Coracle is not that it was slow and stupid-looking (although it certainly was) but that despite being built to spin like a top, it was almost impossible to steer. Apparently it took 45 minutes to make a 180. You're right that it was easier than dragging guns of that size over what passed for roads in that part of the world

FB- Doug

5 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Wow, that looks like it could operate in shallow water, all right.

The funny thing about the Russki Iron Coracle is not that it was slow and stupid-looking (although it certainly was) but that despite being built to spin like a top, it was almost impossible to steer. Apparently it took 45 minutes to make a 180. You're right that it was easier than dragging guns of that size over what passed for roads in that part of the world

FB- Doug

Differential thrust would take care of that, but throttles for multiple engines would be too hard to manage.   Once variable pitch propellers were invented, that would have overcome that issue.   Unfortunately, by the time those came around, that vessel was long past its prime, if not already turned back into plows or gun barrels.

800px-The_deck_of_the_Novgorod_circular_

Lots of propellers, no rudders behind them.

- Stumbling

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Also needs pumping out. What a wreck.

00K0K_fSt0UwUuqYA_1200x900.jpg

I would not pump it out.

I would fill it all the way up, with chlorine.

7 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Ah, speaking as a ten minute internet expert (I'd never heard of this odd ship before) that thing about it spinning may be a myth - one of those things you want to be true, not least because it's funny. I acknowledge I have not fact-checked this counter-fact, and it may be a product of the No Fun /Everything You like Is Wrong internet conspiracy.

Just a name mock, https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/boa/d/columbia-24-sailboat/6744075042.html

Not the usual romantic bird names...

If I had known that a larder would attract a mate when I was young...

" Butcherbirds are insect eaters for the most part, but will also feed on small lizards and other vertebrates. They get their name from their habit of impaling captured prey on a thorn, tree fork, or crevice. This "larder" is used to support the victim while it is being eaten, to store prey for later consumption, or to attract mates "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butcherbird

4 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

If I had known that a larder would attract a mate when I was young...

It’s not all that straightforward. I learned the hard way in college, that if you invite girls over to share your catch, it works better if you get all the cleaning and filleting out of the way first.  Later, my granddad told me I was still doing it wrong.  Keep trying different girls and when one of them grabs a fish and a knife and gets to work, that’s the one.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, EvaOdland said:

Consider that fair warning when trying to cross that Columbia shit box...you better clear...

Or they make a great shiskabob

That Aquarius would fit right in the Zombie category

6 minutes ago, BlackieChan said:

This one comes decked out in local art and horticulture
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/d/aquarius-17-sailboat-with/6743225150.html

01616_aKi0iXpthy0_600x450.jpg

00M0M_5OrE7M0va9k_600x450.jpg

Haha, that is still listed. I posted it in the r2ak2016 thread for a dirtbag award boat to pick for the race. The tenacity of that seller...

4 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Haha, that is still listed. I posted it in the r2ak2016 thread for a dirtbag award boat to pick for the race. The tenacity of that seller...

Of the owner's many mistakes, one is trying to charge money for this steaming ball of hepatitis

4 minutes ago, BlackieChan said:

Of the owner's many mistakes, one is trying to charge money for this steaming ball of hepatitis

Winner.

On 11/11/2018 at 11:58 AM, Ishmael said:

Also needs pumping out. What a wreck.

00K0K_fSt0UwUuqYA_1200x900.jpg

No shit!

On the plus side, it seems the hull is not leaking below the waterline, although it might have been better if it did... 

Only 5k, as is, that means you cannot complain if it turns out the fire extinguisher turns out to be expired.

What a sad state of affairs

On 11/11/2018 at 1:35 PM, hard aground said:

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/d/hunter-sailboat/6744562591.html

The interior does need a bit of a clean........

Spent a lot time on hunter 34 cruising the Chesapeake in a my younger days.  Not exactly a rocket ship but a nice cruiser.  Poor thing looks like it was firebomed inside...

6 hours ago, BlackieChan said:

This one comes decked out in local art and horticulture
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/d/aquarius-17-sailboat-with/6743225150.html

01616_aKi0iXpthy0_600x450.jpg

Each picture looks worse than the one before and then there's this:

00D0D_aDVbZBnvHfe_1200x900.jpg

Which looks more or less fine, unlike any other part of that boat.

The Hunter 34 appears to have a serviceable Bruce type anchor.

That rudder looks damn close to one on a Lightning.

1 hour ago, Monkey Butler said:

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/oday-sloop-with-new/6704377463.html

Was going to mock the "new" trailer but hey, wait, what the...

00I0I_7HJu4VwsGOT_600x450.jpg.8bf0ffe650e81547597e2d8357e48914.jpg

The cone is there to keep people from accidently walking out of the boat thru the convenient new V-berth exit......

The boat in the actual ad is an Oday Javelin. If it were closer to me, I'd consider buying it. They're cool little boats and this one is on a better trailer than most.

FB- Doug

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:08 AM, Dilligaf0220 said:

They didn't just survive, Evergreen were the first ones to get off a Mayday trying to rescue  Magic.  Even in 1979 electronics were banned to the point that a lot of boats didn't even have a VHF.  Evergreen were the ones to pass the word on the ensuing carnage and kickoff rescue efforts.

And Don Green is the first guy to say that Evergreen shouldn't have been there, that is was mostly hubris trying to make up for their bad SORC performance before clinching the Canada's Cup.

To suggest that a lot of boats didn't have VHFs because electronics were somehow banned is erroneous. Even a Decca set from that sort of era was the size of a piece of carry on baggage and charts were expensive because they had to have a Decca overlay printed on them. Then in bad weather (particularly damp conditions) you could get chain jump which electronically put you miles from where you really were.

In fact two way radio was so expected that RORC even had a radio relay vessel in the area, if I remember correctly she was called Morningtown and she did an amazing job while not exactly n comfortable conditions herself.

SS

12 hours ago, eric1207 said:

That rudder looks damn close to one on a Lightning.

I want a Lightning and I want to name it Thunder!

• Like 1

Not a mock of the boat but this line; " it has a few places in the lead keel that needs new fiberglass and it could use a few new keel bolts sistered in to give it extra strength"

Sure to scare most fixeruppers...seeester what?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/boa/d/islander-36-sailboat/6736144711.html

2 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Not a mock of the boat but this line; " it has a few places in the lead keel that needs new fiberglass and it could use a few new keel bolts sistered in to give it extra strength"

Sure to scare most fixeruppers...seeester what?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/boa/d/islander-36-sailboat/6736144711.html

'soon you will see this boat on yacht world at $25,000.00 so if you are interested in buying it at a cheap price, doing the work YOURSELF, and making $15,000 profit' 

If your next question is 'how can I afford not to?' then have I got the deal for you! Once in a lifetime chance to get in on the ground level! 

On 11/12/2018 at 11:27 PM, AnotherSailor said:

OK, here is an ethical dilemma: Should we warn this person not to want what he thinks he wants:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/boa/d/wanted-macgregor-19/6741869637.html

I don't think so.

I'd bet I'm alone on this forum in having sailed one, just because they're so rare.

Putting masts on motorboats generally ruins them and certainly did with the 26 footer that is more famous. It's a terrible motorboat. But I still admire Roger for selling so many.

The 19 that I sold (about the easiest money I ever made as a broker, btw, offer one and it's gone) was actually a surprisingly good motorboat.

It went fast enough over harbor chop to make me wonder whether we were going to shake the mast off the boat, something one could never wonder in a 26.

Roger thought about that issue and the mast was a two piece with racks in the cabin for mast halves and boom. So what we were supposed to do is take the mast down, stow it, and THEN floor it. But it works the other way too, I can report.

It sailed surprisingly well too, for something that looks very much a motorboat from the bow.

It really is what the 26 tried to be: a boat that can perform decently as a sailboat or a motorboat. But it didn't have that giant head that the 26X had, so wives wanted the 26. California air quality regulations meant Roger could only make so many boats per month, so he quit making the unprofitable one that didn't sell and focused on the one that did.

A guy drove down from Rhode Island to get it. That's how you have to search for these.

2 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

What's the point of the riding mowers? 

Consumerism.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 11:31 PM, Steam Flyer said:

The cone is there to keep people from accidently walking out of the boat thru the convenient new V-berth exit......

The boat in the actual ad is an Oday Javelin. If it were closer to me, I'd consider buying it. They're cool little boats and this one is on a better trailer than most.

FB- Doug

If anyone would be interested in a keel version of the Javelin here is a sweet deal on one, sitting on a private mooring in beautiful people land.

image.thumb.png.3820e11e65159a749b2757b9e818d4af.png

On 11/14/2018 at 5:51 AM, bmiller said:

The ad says he knows very little about the boat. I'm guessing he knows nothing about rigging it either.

I'm going to call today and maybe save it from him.

https://pueblo.craigslist.org/boa/d/2007-shorelander-trailer-and/6744627805.html

01616_liyIzv2awQC_1200x900.jpg00e0e_gvJbhSX1lki_1200x900.jpg

I called, the guy said he knows absolutely nothing about sailboats. And he will not take a penny less then 2000. I wished him luck.

9 hours ago, o30_oldschool said:

"This boat sports a unique under 30' shortfin, tall cabin design."

I ran it through the CA thesaurus.

Unique:

• ill-conceived
  • absurd
  • bizarre
  • foolish
  • goofy
  • insane
  • irresponsible
  • ludicrous
  • odd
  • outrageous
  • preposterous
  • ridiculous
  • silly
  • strange
  • weird
  • eccentric
  • loony
  • wild
  • balmy
  • beyond all reason
  • cockeyed
  • derisory
  • fatuous
  • foolhardy
  • half-baked
  • harebrained
  • idiotic
  • impracticable
  • imprudent
  • inane
  • inappropriate
  • nonsensical
  • out of all reason
  • peculiar
  • puerile
  • quixotic
  • senseless
  • short-sighted
  • unworkable

• Like 2

But it has that cool deck chine that's so popular now and what is that, a foil sticking through the window?

Route de Rhum baby!

$_59.JPG

12 hours ago, o30_oldschool said:

He deserves some sort of recognition for building a boat that makes a Buccaneer look good in comparison.

2 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

"This boat sports a unique under 30' shortfin, tall cabin design."

I ran it through the CA thesaurus.

Unique:

• ill-conceived
  • absurd
  • bizarre
  • foolish
  • goofy
  • insane
  • irresponsible
  • ludicrous
  • odd
  • outrageous
  • preposterous
  • ridiculous
  • silly
  • strange
  • weird
  • eccentric
  • loony
  • wild
  • balmy
  • beyond all reason
  • cockeyed
  • derisory
  • fatuous
  • foolhardy
  • half-baked
  • harebrained
  • idiotic
  • impracticable
  • imprudent
  • inane
  • inappropriate
  • nonsensical
  • out of all reason
  • peculiar
  • puerile
  • quixotic
  • senseless
  • short-sighted
  • unworkable

Yep.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, o30_oldschool said:

This came out pretty good for a picture that was apparently snapped while tripping and falling.

$_59.JPG

"constructed pre-1997".   Ummm... that could make it anywhere between 20 and infinity years old.

Well, ok, the big bang was about 15 billion years ago, so that is pre-1997 and less than infinity. 

20 hours ago, bmiller said:

I called, the guy said he knows absolutely nothing about sailboats. And he will not take a penny less then 2000. I wished him luck.

He obviously knows less about sales.

14 hours ago, See Level said:

But it has that cool deck chine that's so popular now and what is that, a foil sticking through the window?

Route de Rhum baby!

$_59.JPG

Yeah, the daggerboard..... or whatever the h### it is....... sticking thru the cabin window is certainly a..... umm.... unique..... feature.

Looks like the hull will have a better shape once the front falls off. Thinking ahead!?!

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, SemiSalt said:

The starboard-side keel is.....different? Missing?

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/boa/d/sale-or-trade-for-wwp-or/6746918325.html

There is something about using a 2015 picture for an ad in 2018 that seem sketchy. Also, the boat in the other picture  is a different color.

2018-11-16_1153.png

The starboard keel is there, on the other side of the starboard trailer support. It's a very confusing photo angle.

44 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

The starboard keel is there, on the other side of the starboard trailer support. It's a very confusing photo angle.

There must  be a lot of toe-in for the projected chord (length) of the two keels to be so different.

2 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

The starboard-side keel is.....different? Missing?

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/boa/d/sale-or-trade-for-wwp-or/6746918325.html

There is something about using a 2015 picture for an ad in 2018 that seem sketchy. Also, the boat in the other picture  is a different color.

2018-11-16_1153.png

Looks like it was left in a warm place to rise a little too long. 

• Like 2

"trade for similar located in Florida or Georgia"

It's on a trailer for goodness sake.

I thought that is what those things were for.  At least in FL they are.  Maybe "up north" they are just for winter storage eh?

:huh:

2 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

-_- This one has not been warn...

What if I told you there is photographic evidence to the contrary? Maybe a good bartering point! 

48 minutes ago, BlackieChan said:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/14-mouse-gunter-yawl/6747643113.html

00J0J_cJpl6sQ2ZXg_1200x900.jpg

"hard part done" 

No the hard part is convincing someone to pay $8000 for your stack of firewood

8 spars? Must be one on the jib. Might look like 8k with the sails up and glowing wood.

10 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

8 spars? Must be one on the jib. Might look like 8k with the sails up and glowing wood.

He may be counting the bow sprit? Tiller?? Oars??? Peg leg and hook????

Three sails is two too many on a fourteen foot boat even if it has a bow sprit.

35 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

$15K for a Grampian 26? What planet do these people live on?

I guess he wants to get rid of it before a winter storm washes it onto Sunset beach.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/d/grampian-26/6751310335.html

Mmmm, warm, red leatherette.

00G0G_2F9erFcMSZ0_600x450.jpg

4 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

He may be counting the bow sprit and tiller? Oars?? Peg leg and hook???

Three sails is two too many on a fourteen foot boat even if it has a bow sprit.

Bollards? Tiller extension? Boomkin maybe?

25 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Mmmm, warm, red leatherette.

No redhead ever looked as dangerous as that woman.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

$15K for a Grampian 26? What planet do these people live on?

I guess he wants to get rid of it before a winter storm washes it onto Sunset beach.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/d/grampian-26/6751310335.html

It apparently spends too much time at the Marina, which doesn't explain why it's currently anchored in the Virgin-Gets-Sacrificed-To-King Kong spot at the entrance to False Creek. 

Ok, It's FleaBay and not Craigslist, but I think it fits.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-sailboat/113369560983?hash=item1a655a3797:g:ZeUAAOSwoVZb6i4~

1976 No idea

New owner of the pier.  Sailboat MUST GO. Sailboat has been completely remodeled 5 years ago.  The owner left then States and will not come back. Hull number removed when whole boat was remodeled.  Election title is in my name and I will sing it to the person, who will take the boat. Make offer.  Owner spent $20 000 on remodeling this boat.  Complete rebuild diesel motor, new windows, paint,electric,  all of it. Boat damaged in 2 storms by the pier as pictures show. It is temporary repaired.  Mast is broken.  

• 1976-No-idea
  • 1976-No-idea
  • 1976-No-idea
  • 1976-No-idea
Have one to sell? Sell now- Have one to sell?

This person is looking for a delivery:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/duffy-electracraft-16-foot/6748558227.html

I have an Electracraft that is 16ft that I need to have picked up in Ventura and brought to Loch Lomond Marina in San Rafael. I don't have a trailer for it, so a trailer will be needed. A Duffy or a small sailboat trailer or a ski boat type trailer with keel rollers and adjustable bunks will work. I need this moved preferably this weekend. Boat weighs about 1500 pounds. All you have to do is pick it up from boat ramp in Ventura and deliver to boat ramp in San Rafael for $350. 

Situations like this break my heart- lots of work done to what appears to be a high standard, but lots more to go.  Not to mention more money than most would believe these days.  Would be beautiful pulling into the harbor all varnished cabin sides and a gleaming white hull...….  More likely to end up as salvaged lead.   https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/d/big-wooden-boat-project/6751577459.html

01515_dkKJvjyISnI_50x50c.jpg.14e067e26311ea89c097a3ea9debef0a.jpg