blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

Ish, I never saw a sailboat with a working diesel sell for as little as $3k.

That definitely looks the same as the 8 hp Yanmar diesels I have seen. Maybe they made a 6.5 on the same block, or maybe the seller has it wrong.

The seller has it wrong - Yannie never made a 6.5. The YSB, E, M series was their smallest.

I bought a new on the pallet YSM back in the day and it was about the smallest diesel there was.

If I were going used boat shopping with a $20k budget, I'd come back with something nicer than that Paceship and have money left over ( to buy a boom vang for instance.) Strong money for that boat might be eight or nine thou, not twenty.

I agree and in fact recently did just that. I also just noticed on a thread on SA that the new Catalina 23 sport boat STARTS at $75K. By that comparison that essentially new Paceship looks like a huge bargain, even at $20K.

There basically is nothing rational or logical in the relationship between old, new and restored boats when it comes to relative values VS market values.

That's why I only buy old boats.

When I was young and did not value my time as highly, I bought old boats & fixed 'em up. Learned a lot, but none of them have lasted forever no matter how good a job I did.

New boats -may- be of much improved design. Or maybe not, difficult to say without sailing it a lot under varying conditions. I can absolutely say that we bought a new trailerable cruiser-racer style boat in the early 1990s and it was 10,000% better designed than anything available in a previous generation. I also bought an almost-new one-design racer that was maybe a 500% improvement. OTOH it is fully possible to pay full freight for a brand-new boat that is just as much of a frustrating PITA as any older design.

Paying a higher price for a rebuilt old boat? Mugs game IMHO because you are paying a premium for the prior owners doubtful skills & judgement. Many many guys think "fiberglass repair"involves putty & paint, and marine wiring involves duct tape and/or wiring nuts if not Romex.

And those spiffy almost-new electronic doodads they want a pretty penny for will look dinosaurian in 3 years if not sooner.

FB- Doug

That definitely looks the same as the 8 hp Yanmar diesels I have seen. Maybe they made a 6.5 on the same block, or maybe the seller has it wrong.

Our Ballad has a working diesel -- motored from Chicago to Calumet hard on the heels of Superstorm Sandy. Only 10hp, and a Penta MD6A (for our sins), raw water cooled, jacketed exhaust, suspicious lump of JB Weld on the head ... but a working diesel still. :) They can be had if they are in a boat someone really wants to be rid of. I'd love to stick an 18hp Beta or Nani in there, but that will have to wait.

BlackJenner: Sj21s were often unfortunate in their gelcoat color, but they have really great personalities.:) We've grown so fond of the banana yellow hull on ours, we're contemplating something really obnoxious for the big boat's color.

If I were going used boat shopping with a $20k budget, I'd come back with something nicer than that Paceship and have money left over ( to buy a boom vang for instance.) Strong money for that boat might be eight or nine thou, not twenty.

I agree and in fact recently did just that. I also just noticed on a thread on SA that the new Catalina 23 sport boat STARTS at $75K. By that comparison that essentially new Paceship looks like a huge bargain, even at $20K.

There basically is nothing rational or logical in the relationship between old, new and restored boats when it comes to relative values VS market values.

When I was young and did not value my time as highly, I bought old boats & fixed 'em up. Learned a lot, but none of them have lasted forever no matter how good a job I did.

New boats -may- be of much improved design. Or maybe not, difficult to say without sailing it a lot under varying conditions. I can absolutely say that we bought a new trailerable cruiser-racer style boat in the early 1990s and it was 10,000% better designed than anything available in a previous generation. I also bought an almost-new one-design racer that was maybe a 500% improvement. OTOH it is fully possible to pay full freight for a brand-new boat that is just as much of a frustrating PITA as any older design.

Paying a higher price for a rebuilt old boat? Mugs game IMHO because you are paying a premium for the prior owners doubtful skills & judgement. Many many guys think "fiberglass repair"involves putty & paint, and marine wiring involves duct tape and/or wiring nuts if not Romex.

And those spiffy almost-new electronic doodads they want a pretty penny for will look dinosaurian in 3 years if not sooner.

FB- Doug

Lots true there. As to the quality of work aspect, I was thinking of the kind of thing that Tim Lackey does, not Joe Shmoe patching & painting over rot. There's plenty of marginal crap in new boats as well - for full retail.

The only type of restored old boat that I would ever consider paying outside the normal market price for would be something like one of Lackey's rebuilds - or Charley Cobra's. Those kind of boats are BETTER than a factory new version.

Our Ballad has a working diesel -- motored from Chicago to Calumet hard on the heels of Superstorm Sandy. Only 10hp, and a Penta MD6A (for our sins), raw water cooled, jacketed exhaust, suspicious lump of JB Weld on the head ... but a working diesel still. :) They can be had if they are in a boat someone really wants to be rid of. I'd love to stick an 18hp Beta or Nani in there, but that will have to wait.

BlackJenner: Sj21s were often unfortunate in their gelcoat color, but they have really great personalities. :) We've grown so fond of the banana yellow hull on ours, we're contemplating something really obnoxious for the big boat's color.

It's only for your sins if you Re-Penta (rebuild the Penta?) ;-)

The seller has it wrong - Yannie never made a 6.5. The YSB, E, M series was their smallest.

I bought a new on the pallet YSM back in the day and it was about the smallest diesel there was.

I rebuilt a couple in the day.

It looks like a YSE8, it has electric start, not manual start.

Sometimes people quoted continuous ratings, not intermittent.

6 1/2 hp sounds about right for a continuous rating on a YS8

Is there any use at all for recycled fiberglass???

In sydney there is a company that advertises boat dismantling.. but I just don't see how they make any money at it.

The man hours vs the salvage parts... It does not add up.

Oceaneer

I just learned last evening that there is a company north of Toronto that runs old boats thru what I can only imagine is a kind of wood chipper. Apparently they make fibreglass flakes that are laid down as an insulating layer prior to pouring basement floors.

In sydney there is a company that advertises boat dismantling.. but I just don't see how they make any money at it.

Oceaneer

I just learned last evening that there is a company north of Toronto that runs old boats thru what I can only imagine is a kind of wood chipper. Apparently they make fibreglass flakes that are laid down as an insulating layer prior to pouring basement floors.

Jayzuss - at the price of old boats today I hope that doesn't catch on - there won't be any left and we'll all be sailing BeneHuntaLinas.

Incredible piece but I can't imagine anyone willing to spend $20K for it.

Donating it to a museum would seem a better course. Might even get a $20K deduction.

You can get a 20 to 25 year old J-22 for around $10K.

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/4110140984.html

Comes with dolls for 20k, but not a trailer. Tough sell.

Dang, as a sparky I'm working 1 day a week on a 120M passenger boat, Interesting work, pushes my skill level a bit but I love the whole being paid to be a sea thing.

Why would someone spend 20K on that when you can get paid to work on the real thing?

• Downvote 1

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/4110140984.html

Comes with dolls for 20k, but not a trailer. Tough sell.

Dang, as a sparky I'm working 1 day a week on a 120M passenger boat, Interesting work, pushes my skill level a bit but I love the whole being paid to be a sea thing.

Why would someone spend 20K on that when you can get paid to work on the real thing?

I can believe that it cost over $20k to build, but that doesn't make it worth that much to anybody else. It is absolutely NOT "museum-quality" anything, it doesn't even look like any real destroyer I know of, certainly not a Fletcher.

Not the first time around for this guy either

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=146338&page=10#entry4313946

FB- Doug

But the lights will work all night! ;)

It would be fun to take it for a spin!

It would be fun to have a picture of it in the creek behind our house... the fun of driving it would wear off quickly IMHO since it would be slow and rather unmaneuverable.... and I bet jetskis would love playing kamikaze on this thing. Maybe if you had some friends with scale aircraft cariers, battleships, model planes... maybe some submarines too... you could have some fun playing Task Force. Unrep is always a hoot, and you wouldn't have to do it at midnight like the real Navy always seems to.

The pilots school near Norfolk has a bunch of mini-ships, 35' supertankers etc etc, to practice driving around & maneuvering. They take it seriously, more difficult to handle big ships than most people believe. It's not much fun though, or games like this http://www.shipsim.com/ would be more popular

FB- Doug

Has anyone tried to get imperfections in a white hull to show up in a picture? It's really not that easy.

Oh my god, you are so spot on.

"Beautiful, wooden, custom" all words you want to find together in a boat ad. sometimes.

"This beautifully designed tri-maran was hand made in Washington State and the main hull slightly resembles a Boston Whaler"

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/4111347557.html

post-59955-0-67063200-1381023619_thumb.jpg

"South Weed Boulevard"? Sure.

funny. I saw that and didn't give it a second notice. I was too busy contemplating whether or not a Boston whaler was beautiful.

"Beautiful, wooden, custom" all words you want to find together in a boat ad. sometimes.

"This beautifully designed tri-maran was hand made in Washington State and the main hull slightly resembles a Boston Whaler"

That one's been posted before. The Whaler ref. was probably confusion with "Dory" due to partaking of too much of the home towns namesake product.

8' Catamaran w/ 3.5 hp outboard - $350 (Vancouver/ West End)

01414_de8igF6adPz_600x450.jpg

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/boa/4074719097.html

Catamaran anyone...?

That must be HR's tank test model.

I'm trying to figure out if those are really bricks holding the crossbeams in place

Not that it matters much

FB- Doug

Oceaneer

Yeah, it's these guys: http://www.sandycovemarine.com/Page.aspx/pageId/30181/Sandy-Cove-Marine-Recyclers.aspx Considered doing it on a previous boat but the cost they wanted wasn't effective.

8' Catamaran w/ 3.5 hp outboard - $350 (Vancouver/ West End)

01414_de8igF6adPz_600x450.jpg

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/boa/4074719097.html

Catamaran anyone...?

That must be HR's tank test model.

I'm trying to figure out if those are really bricks holding the crossbeams in place

Not that it matters much

FB- Doug

I think the design brief was to have deep enough hulls so the engine could stay down even on the beach.

Sometimes it is hard not to be somewhat impressed with the things people will do. Only to stick the fruit of their labor on a barge and think it'll sell.

Not a diesel, it's a STEAMER!!

00U0U_9AbwgUAEFCX_600x450.jpg

Also have to wonder what the odds are some one with a boat this monster assym will fit, would happen by it on CL.

Love that 2nd picture. I'm almost sure the ladder tot he aft deck is what's supporting the stern.

Wow, that last pic of some completely unrelated vessel they scanned out of some old book really boosts their credibility.

Love that 2nd picture. I'm almost sure the ladder tot he aft deck is what's supporting the stern.

I think the stern is very slowly starting to fall off.

He says " I'd hate to see it deteriorate"

I've got news for him....

Wow, that last pic of some completely unrelated vessel they scanned out of some old book really boosts their credibility.

someone should tell the poster that pics of chicks would get better results.

00d0d_iDDIlWUq8AN_600x450.jpg

Damn, that's a lot of dudes.

Looks like they are hanging out in someone's basement.

It's only for your sins if you Re-Penta (rebuild the Penta?) ;-)

Hehheh. That's good.

In my Catholic youth, I never really understood the meaning of 'Pentacost'. Having priced injectors, I now understand.;) That wasn't incense ... it was smelling salts!

00d0d_iDDIlWUq8AN_600x450.jpg

Damn, that's a lot of dudes.

Looks like they are hanging out in someone's basement.

Room. Look at the room.

I can't see much of the boat that these lovely girls are riding in, but I'm sure it's ugly.

girls.jpg

Hey Bob, is this one of your designs? The drawing looks like one of your creations --> http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/4119570735.html

Really cool looking boat, not a bad deal?

The ad said it was a Benford design.

"Jay R. Benford has a lifetime of experience in the creation of custom yachts. Since 1962, Jay has been earning his way in the narrow and difficult field of custom yacht design."

Hey Bob, is this one of your designs? The drawing looks like one of your creations --> http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/4119570735.html

Really cool looking boat, not a bad deal?

The ad said it was a Benford design.

"Jay R. Benford has a lifetime of experience in the creation of custom yachts. Since 1962, Jay has been earning his way in the narrow and difficult field of custom yacht design."

So when Bob draws something like this it is a cartoon, whereas Benford expects someone to try to sail it? Interesting...

I think the stern is very slowly starting to fall off.

nah, stern's fine, it's the front that's falling off

hopefully not in the environment...

sailboat SAIL BOAT WANTED 13 14 15 16 FEETS - $400 (DENVER)

sailboat WANTED 14, 15, 16 feet - $400 (DENVER)

IM LOOKING TO BUY A SAILBOAT, WITH TRAILER OR NOT WITH SAIL PREFERABLY, WITH TITTLE OR NOT,ANY CONDITION, PRICE REASONABLY AND ACCORDING.

Send me picts and model, nowwww!!!! thanks

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/4126140083.html

Here's one

http://florencesc.craigslist.org/boa/4100241725.html (clicky clicky)

Quote- "sail boat first 200.00 cash takes it. Floats great no sails will need a trailer to pick up. I have a title for it.
email me a number and ill text you a pic.

First come first serve. I will hold it if you are at work until you are off if need be."

01515_5E4okJBhZzn_600x450.jpg

Actually for a bare hull it doesn't look so bad. However the fact that the ad has been up repeatedly for the past 3 months SHOULD indicate to anybody with a clue that the demand for bare hulls, even with titles, is more in the neighborhood of "I'll pay you $200 to get this boat out of my yard" rather than any cash going the other way.

FB- Doug

This was forwarded to me:

http://providence.craigslist.org/w4m/4133851622.html

Wedding Date - 24 (Providence)

Swf seeks swm for wedding date. Please be disease and drug free. If you know of anyone w a painkiller prescription, please bring plenty for me.

I hope you don't mind dysfunctional families, Catholic Churches, obese women, and binge drinking.

I probably won't like you, but that will be the least of my worries that day so you won't be able to tell.

Don't expect me to form any emotional connection to you. I am incapable of doing this.

Boning you depends on 1.) how much I drink to self medicate and 2.) how pissed I get at my mom.

Chances are I will bone you. If not though, do not touch me.

After the wedding, please never contact me again. This includes incessantly texting me "good morning, how was your day, hey there, hey you, etc".

Pet names are expressly prohibited.

I will have mace on my person in case you turn out to be creepy or if I feel unsafe for any reason.

Pinstripe suits are preferable.

Those < 5'9 need not apply.

Not 'boat' related, but this one had me on the floor:

http://enid.craigslist.org/cto/4119280944.html%3C/div%3E

Just a couple:

"If you own a bieber album, white oakleys, affliction t-shirts, or those candy-assed stitched-pocket jeans: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU."

"If, however, you have BALLS OF STEEL and consider adverse weather an excuse to do stupid shit: THIS IS YOUR JEEP"

You really have to read the whole post...

Just a couple:

"If you own a bieber album, white oakleys, affliction t-shirts, or those candy-assed stitched-pocket jeans: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU."

"If, however, you have BALLS OF STEEL and consider adverse weather an excuse to do stupid shit: THIS IS YOUR JEEP"

I like this part:

"-Does the 4WD work?

Hell yes. Like a Dickensian Orphan."

and this:

"-Why are you such a dick?

Everything is relative; you should see my friends."

Just a couple:

OMFG - I qualify to buy that thing!

I gotta shape up!

Just a couple:

I like this part:

"-Does the 4WD work?

Hell yes. Like a Dickensian Orphan."

Love it! A surprisingly intellectual reference for an Okie redneck.

That's a great ad. Almost made me want to buy the car. Actually I forwarded the ad to a friend

That's a great ad. Almost made me want to buy the car. Actually I forwarded the ad to a friend

Yea, I just forwarded it to mum, told her to show it to hubby, well they do need another car, just doing my bit to help.

I had to stop reading 4 times to wipe the tears from my eyes.

• Downvote 1

I think I like that girl.

I think I dated that girl.

Swears like a Russian garbageman and eats Oxycodone by the handful. You meet her mother, you understand. Then you realize she's twenty years from being her mother, and you say so, and she maces you, and it's still the best date you've had for a couple months....

Sometimes life has a subtle way of telling you: Time for some changes, Bippy.

;)

She made me think of Janeane Garofolo

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/boa/3986021515.html

00y0y_jDPwBGtLpAj_600x450.jpg

This boat was built by the Johnson boat works in WBL Mn. It is a power /sailboat the keel retracts into the cabin area. It has never sat on the ground, but the hull is pretty rough. The value of this vessel is in the rigging and driveline components. feel free to call me at: 651 206-9407. NO TEXTS, thanks.

It's just "resting" on the ground, not sitting, I guess.

I think this one has been posted here before. Someone had mentioned the price was okay ass long as the dogs were included.

Swears like a Russian garbageman and eats Oxycodone by the handful. You meet her mother, you understand. Then you realize she's twenty years from being her mother, and you say so, and she maces you, and it's still the best date you've had for a couple months....

;)

That one's priceless, Diarmud ;-) BT,DT.

http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/boa/4127032124.html

Unsinkable plywood boat trade for donkey - $50 (Lafayette) I built an awesome boat out of plywood. It has been sealed with silicone and waterproof paint. I just got back from a 3 day voyage down the wabash. My first mate and I slept in the boat on the river and it didn't leak a drop. It is a flat bottom row boat. About 8' by 3'. Very stable, floats great. Floated two adults an all of our camping gear. Make an offer. I would really like to trade for a donkey or small horse-like animal to carry my bags on the next trip. Can text pictures of boat, or will upload to this page if anyone knows how to upload pics from an iPhone. Thanks in advance I can't wait to receive my new donkey.

That cat looks kinda cool.

yea we had a deal with a hammer mill who would come get our part trimmings, pulverize it and sell it to add into road bed mix

Oceaneer

Jayzuss - at the price of old boats today I hope that doesn't catch on - there won't be any left and we'll all be sailing BeneHuntaLinas.

;)

If you actually say stuff like that out loud, you deserve to get maced, grasshopper.

And yeah batshit crazy women are often pretty hot fucks. But you really really don't want them getting into any other part of your life.

Back when I was young and foolish, I dated a number of women whom I not only didn't take home to Mom, I didn't let them find out where I really lived. Got way too complicated.

FB- Doug

If you actually say stuff like that out loud, you deserve to get maced, grasshopper.

And yeah batshit crazy women are often pretty hot fucks. But you really really don't want them getting into any other part of your life.

Back when I was young and foolish, I dated a number of women whom I not only didn't take home to Mom, I didn't let them find out where I really lived. Got way too complicated.

FB- Doug

Were they worth it? And no, I'm not trolling for a particular answer to make any point.

FB- Doug

Were they worth it? And no, I'm not trolling for a particular answer to make any point.

In the short run, mostly yes because I treated them way better than any of their previous boyfriends, which only made them desperate to totally ruin my life. Amazing opportunity to study the highly varied psychology of self-destruction (and help me root out said tendency in self). Some became more trouble than they were worth because I tried to dump them gently. The ones that dumped me instead were actually the best.

I never took any of them sailing, either.

In the long run, absolutely yes because the those experiences got me up to the level of appreciation that I could see Mrs Steam for the gem she truly is.

FB- Doug

At my unit's reunion, I was jokingly hitting on one of the women in my unit that I had always found attractive. Now that I'm retired and divorced, I can do that.

One of my shipmates said "Don't do it Rich, she's crazy. When she says she 'left her husband', she means that she left him cut up into small pieces underneath the floor of a building somewhere".

My response was: "I don't want to keep her, I just want to taste the crazy."

This was all right in front of her. That was a great reunion. :)

There are three types of women, the ones you bring back to meet your mum and dad, The ones you don't bring back to meet your mum and dad, and the ones you hope your friends don't find about.

• Downvote 1

Have we already discussed The Ikea Effect?

The Ikea effect is a cognitive bias where labour enhances affection for its results. The name for this psychological phenomenon is in honour of the wildly successful Swedish manufacturer named Ikea, a large portion of whose furniture products require some self-assembly. The "Ikea effect" is seen as an actual psychological situation which is linked to consumers placing a disproportionately high value on an object that they partially built themselves.

In the context of this thread, we may think that "partially built" is an appropriate double entendre.

I admit, I suffer from it, but I only factor it into things that I acquire - not things that I intend to sell. In fact, I think they should have called it "The Jr. High Shop Project Effect." Personally, when I walk through Ikea, I look at the prices and think, "Jeez, I could build that from scratch for ten bucks!"

Boothy, you need to chime inhere.....

;)

Forty years ago that thing would have been ferro. I think the builder heard and misunderstood the term "Herringbone deck".

OK, I'll bite. What's "quadraglass"

I guess you need quadraglass under your herringbone I suppose.

Our area is full of them. Maple Leaf 42's, MC 39's etc, etc. They run out of money (or skill) and they are engineered by Home Depot then tastefully finished in "early rumpus room". You know: shag carpet glued in to the interior hull.

90% finished huh? No sir - you're done!

At least you can drag it down to the beach and make into a fish & chip stand. With ferro you can bury in your backyard and make it into a bomb shelter.

Lots of uses!

It is sad to see dreams like that fall apart.

I have had a few dreams...........

That's the first thing that I think when I see a project gone south - someones dream has perished, such a shame.

Estimate the cash and time needed to complete a project then multiple it by 10.