blackjenner

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

The Raven is a classic..... and yeah they haul ass. More a factor of being light, and having a hell of a lot of sail. Can't think of another pre-1960 class with twin traps (not that they started out that way).

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/raven-usa

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKfaP3fP2jM3lyvIkiQC2

Very cool boats. A shame that one got all hacked around

FB- Doug

Years ago I sailed in the Raven nationals in Michigan. I agree, they are a fun boat. 

• Like 1

I usually look these boats up to check them out when I post but I did not. 300sf of sail is impressive. Now I see why the bow is shaped like it is, not because it was designed by a powerboat builder. An old hotrod that belies my age. It would be good for light air of the r2ak esp decked over.

3 hours ago, BlackieChan said:

This guy is trying to recoup the cost of the cigarettes that went into winning this boat. 

$900 snark... 

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/d/olympia-snark-sunflower-sailboat/6807314273.html

That takes me back....

When I was about 10, I tried to convince my Mom (the only smoker in the family) to switch to Kool cigarettes.  If you had X number of Kool proof of purchase thingies, you could redeem them for a Snark done up in the Kool colors with the Kool logo on the sail.  Sweet. 

Mom refused, and I wound up not buying a boat until I hit my early thirties and bought a Sunfish.

Sad but true.

1971_advertisement_for_Kool_Cigarettes_and_Snark_Sailboat.jpg

10 hours ago, longy said:

You've got cavities, go see your dentist.

Is this something I can just fix myself with 3m 5200, or do I have to see a dentist? 

Epoxy with high density filler would be better.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:21 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Tom,

Maybe the guy with the mooring field scam will let me keep this there

Image result for new england motor launches

That's awesome and appears to have been taken with one of the first color cameras invented, making it more awesome.

But WTF is going on in that pic?

3 hours ago, Contumacious Tom said:

That's awesome and appears to have been taken with one of the first color cameras invented, making it more awesome.

But WTF is going on in that pic?

yes, how did they get what appears to be a brand new bug up there.  why did they put a brand new bug up there and what are they going to do with a brand new bug up there?

1 hour ago, chester said:

yes, how did they get what appears to be a brand new bug up there.  why did they put a brand new bug up there and what are they going to do with a brand new bug up there?

I'm going to take a guess.   Its bring brought to an island that doesn't have a car ferry.

Wasn't that a university thing, engineers taking a bug and hanging it from a bridge or re assembling it in the dean's office.

Something started that trend.

23 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I'm going to take a guess.   Its bring brought to an island that doesn't have a car ferry.

that's a good guess at why...any bright ideas on how?  :D

9 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Wasn't that a university thing, engineers taking a bug and hanging it from a bridge or re assembling it in the dean's office.

Something started that trend.

that was a thing of our E school in the 80's....walked into the arts building one morning to find a clunker in the rotunda

7 minutes ago, chester said:

that's a good guess at why...any bright ideas on how?  :D

Levitation.  Obviously.  :D

5 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Levitation.  Obviously.  :D

When I was a lad in college, my hall mates and I (about 8 of us in total) came across our Resident Advisor's Fiat Spider, parked on the street.  "Wouldn't it be funny to move his car?"  So the eight of us (it might have been seven, or nine or ten; I believe there was beer involved) literally picked up his car and put it on the sidewalk, wedging it between a parking meter and a concrete garbage can.  What fun!

Perhaps the Bug in question here suffered a similar fate?

On 1/30/2019 at 8:23 AM, Steam Flyer said:

The Raven is a classic..... and yeah they haul ass. More a factor of being light, and having a hell of a lot of sail. Can't think of another pre-1960 class with twin traps (not that they started out that way).

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/raven-usa

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKfaP3fP2jM3lyvIkiQC2

Very cool boats. A shame that one got all hacked around

FB- Doug

The Coast Guard Academy had a fleet of them at one time. I raced there when I was in college, circa 1967. I t-boned one of the other boats because we didn't drop the main as was necessary when trying to bear off. They retired from that race due to a broken forestay fitting.

All Ravens have that "rare"  centerboard.

On 1/30/2019 at 9:24 AM, Norse Horse said:

This is a bad way to sell your boat with a bed liner for a dodger. That hull has some go fast shapes like a gypsy's grandma.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/renton-1955-raven-great-lake-racer/6804388641.html

Sawzall the house off of it, put racks, transom mount the rudder and add a wing mast on it and you have a Everglades Challenge/R2AK triple seater.

- Stumbling

On 2/1/2019 at 12:38 PM, stumblingthunder said:
On 1/30/2019 at 1:24 AM, Norse Horse said:

Sawzall the house off of it, put racks, transom mount the rudder and add a wing mast on it and you have a Everglades Challenge/R2AK triple seater.

- Stumbling

The trailer would need a little work before making the drive across the country. And this looks more like a " my wife will give you $100 to come get this boat out of our yard"  than something anybody would pay >$2500 for.

But yeah.... For a RAID type boat, there are a lot of worse picks out there than a Raven.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

I think I might leave that ridiculous house if using it in the EC. They always seem to schedule a powerful cold front for that week. It's ridiculous on the outside but probably pretty warm and dry inside.

6 hours ago, Contumacious Tom said:

I think I might leave that ridiculous house if using it in the EC. They always seem to schedule a powerful cold front for that week. It's ridiculous on the outside but probably pretty warm and dry inside.

It would need to be cut back to open up the cockpit room to cross from one rack to the other for tacks.   That would be a long trek to the back of the boat, then forward for three to do.

It is something to think about.   I intend to participate in next year's EC.   Got some ideas, just need to get home by mid summer to execute.

- Stumbling

On 2/1/2019 at 6:24 AM, Hukilau said:

When I was a lad in college, my hall mates and I (about 8 of us in total) came across our Resident Advisor's Fiat Spider, parked on the street.  "Wouldn't it be funny to move his car?"  So the eight of us (it might have been seven, or nine or ten; I believe there was beer involved) literally picked up his car and put it on the sidewalk, wedging it between a parking meter and a concrete garbage can.  What fun!

Perhaps the Bug in question here suffered a similar fate?

Perhaps you guys are familiar with this?  This is a famous prank from MIT.

http://hacks.mit.edu/Hacks/by_year/1994/cp_car/

Image result for mit prank car on roof

also

Image result for mit prank car on roof

BITD This was an annual event for the UBC engineers.

image.png.05822843bdf152315d43be68f47fc67c.pngimage.png.447467e2b59cb3711e19274d9df247bc.png

I'll bet the outboard was running well too.

7 hours ago, sbman said:

00S0S_dYA0PhyO44B_1200x900.thumb.jpg.34ac4cab96094317c74f1040d26a5984.jpg

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/boa/d/jamul-14-boat-glastron/6806468631.html

Just needs some major cleaning.  Was in good condition when it was parked.

That is an impressive layer of duff to collect. That might be an award winner just for that. It is missing the trailer sunken to the frame though...

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

"For Sale only because we can't take any more vomiting from the rolling it does."

Somehow that Grampian boat doesn't look all that worse with the industrial cabin addition.

10 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Somehow that Grampian boat doesn't look all that worse with the industrial cabin addition.

It's difficult to make a Grampian much uglier.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 9:46 AM, SloopJonB said:

BITD This was an annual event for the UBC engineers.

image.png.05822843bdf152315d43be68f47fc67c.pngimage.png.447467e2b59cb3711e19274d9df247bc.png

What are they throwing off the bridge, old spinnakers?   The pictures are too small to see what is falling.   BASE jumpers or what?

- Stumbling

5 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

What are they throwing off the bridge, old spinnakers?   The pictures are too small to see what is falling.   BASE jumpers or what?

- Stumbling

Sometimes a Mini, sometimes a Bug...

6 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Sometimes a Mini, sometimes a Bug...

Ahh, something acceptable to hear go thump.

Based on being engineers, it was some "build a device for a person to survive a 3-400 foot fall, without having a parachute" competition on first thought.

- Stumbling

11 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

They dangled VW Bugs on a cable.

image.png.8383cf7f3ee99cb126c822f7514e0321.pngimage.png.947ce8c776906d059bcfd19ed0013e2b.png

Not sure what to say...........except.........clearly unfinished though.....

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/woodridge/sail-boats/dragon-class-yacht/1207692202

26ft Full Keel Dragon Class Sloop Timber Planked Yacht,

Boat is a unfinished project with major refurb works being completed.

Boat has mast, sails, small Yanhma Diesle and winches.

Please note, (Boat is locted in a suburban address and if interested in purchasing

reloction Transport costs will have to be taken into account)

frankendragon.PNG

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I think I went to high school with her. 

Didn't she win track and field?:lol:

3 hours ago, furr_ball said:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/woodridge/sail-boats/dragon-class-yacht/1207692202

Please note, (Boat is locted in a suburban address and if interested in purchasing

frankendragon.PNG

Wow. Look at the details. Split front cabin with eyebrow, raised coach with a rake, raised coaming in anticipation of loss of freeboard, soft rectangular windows to attempt to balance out the bulk...it is obvious hundreds if not thousands of designs were studied to steal details like that.

The varnished overhead looks nice. :D

Seriously - a Dragon? He should suffer a lingering, painful death for doing that.

I'm sure Karma will get him.

25 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Wow. Look at the details. Split front cabin with eyebrow, raised coach with a rake, raised coaming in anticipation of loss of freeboard, soft rectangular windows to attempt to balance out the bulk...it is obvious hundreds if not thousands of designs were studied to steal details like that.

Dragons have no freeboard! That's sort of baked-in to the design.  It's a freaking submarine before you start adding superstructure.

Pedro_everyone_WEB.jpg?ext=.jpg

Bluebottle.jpg

You have to wonder about a mind that says, "Let's  take one of the wettest, lowest-riding sailboats in history & bodge it into a pilothouse cruiser. Oh noes -- better add some bulwarks!"

If there really was a dragon trapped inside that thing it’s managed to escape some time ago. I think the advertiser May be using the D-word as a generic thing. 

6 hours ago, furr_ball said:

frankendragon.PNG

Well, clearly the builder had some carpentry skills, too bad he didn't have any common sense.

The Only excuse for something like this is, "this boat was on my property when I bought the house, so I tried to make something out of it"

3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Details, yes...... basic premise deserves a kick in the pants.

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, clearly the builder had some carpentry skills, too bad he didn't have any common sense.

The Only excuse for something like this is, "this boat was on my property when I bought the house, so I tried to make something out of it"

Details, yes...... basic premise deserves a kick in the pants.

FB- Doug

Exactly. With enuf frame-cutting, welding, widening the wheelbase, adding three more rows of seating ... you could turn a Miata into the ultimate family hauler. Or just sell the Miata to a recently-divorced CPA and buy that Yukon. 

My Dragon dude -- there's a company called Fisher that makes the boat you want.

• Like 1

A commonality these homemade Winnebago conversions have is my desire to watch the operator tie to a dock in a breeze. Or sail them for that matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foiling Optimist said:

The good news about the dragon or whatever it is, is that it is, by my reckoning, 84% complete.

You're such an optimist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foiling Optimist said:

The good news about the dragon or whatever it is, is that it is, by my reckoning, 84% complete.

It's more like a 100% complete POS.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Unfortunately 73.6% of all statistics are made up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

Unfortunately 73.6% of all statistics are made up. 

According to Todd Snider you're a little high....funny song if you've never heard it...

Hey this is all very funny but I have studied, on Mocking Ads on Craigslist, literally dozens of partially completed and often conceptually misguided vessels undertaken by impractical dreamers lacking sufficient skill and resources to execute such projects, and I am therefore confident that 9 times out of 10 a boat in this state would be 84% complete. Of course this is in the manner of those percent completion bars on your computer when you install software. 

14 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Hey this is all very funny but I have studied, on Mocking Ads on Craigslist, literally dozens of partially completed and often conceptually misguided vessels undertaken by impractical dreamers lacking sufficient skill and resources to execute such projects, and I am therefore confident that 9 times out of 10 a boat in this state would be 84% complete. Of course this is in the manner of those percent completion bars on your computer when you install software. 

100% surely since they will never advance further?

Sloop and others can comment here but I think key signs you are in the 84-86% completion range is that the headliner in the cabin is done, even though the outside is mostly raw fiberglass, and most critically as we saw in that recent Maple Ridge project boat, some nautical tchotchkes  such as an anchor or a ship's clock may be mounted to a bulkhead, regardless of if the other cabins are remotely completed. Clearly if a mast, sails or an engine is to be found somewhere in the vicinity of the boat this will get you over the top.

• Like 1

Those key signs work for the new buyer[dreamer] but others see the vintage of that Furuno or the Autohelm, the mighty Dickson, and the omnipresent Dangforth knockoff for what they are, eye candy for the dream...

8 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Sloop and others can comment here but I think key signs you are in the 84-86% completion range is that the headliner in the cabin is done, even though the outside is mostly raw fiberglass, and most critically as we saw in that recent Maple Ridge project boat, some nautical tchotchkes  such as an anchor or a ship's clock may be mounted to a bulkhead, regardless of if the other cabins are remotely completed. Clearly if a mast, sails or an engine is to be found somewhere in the vicinity of the boat this will get you over the top.

I think once they are past 10 years of working on it they think it's 85% done no matter how much has actually BEEN done.

4 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Those key signs work for the new buyer[dreamer] but others see the vintage of that Furuno or the Autohelm, the mighty Dickson, and the omnipresent Dangforth knockoff for what they are, eye candy for the dream...

With these kind of projects, new in the box standard winches are another - purchased prior to the invention of self tailers.

New in the box Loran is another giveaway..

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 5:22 AM, Contumacious Tom said:

Offset helm? Is that safe?

$_20.JPG

Only if the companionway is offset, exactly the same amount on the other side. 

11 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

I would think that if moved to a ships yard or a marina then a mast,sails, and engine would be close. Unfortunately they would be owned by others. 

9 minutes ago, Windward said:

Not to rain on the party, but is the helm actually offset?  

As the owner is a southpaw, and therefor offset himself, it's very hard to tell.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

With these kind of projects, new in the box standard winches are another - purchased prior to the invention of self tailers.

Don't knock it - I have some very nice almost new Lewmar standard winches on my boat, bought off of people for a fraction of their original price. Self tailers would be nice but not at more than 10X what I paid per winch.

My boat is in the water and moving under its own power and I still regard it as only 95% complete.....

FKT

7 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Don't knock it - I have some very nice almost new Lewmar standard winches on my boat, bought off of people for a fraction of their original price. Self tailers would be nice but not at more than 10X what I paid per winch.

My boat is in the water and moving under its own power and I still regard it as only 95% complete.....

FKT

Oh no, you have mentioned that other paradigm, the 95 to 98 percentile...:lol:

1 minute ago, Norse Horse said:

Oh no, you have mentioned that other paradigm, the 95 to 98 percentile...:lol:

I regard the break point in 'project' boats as whether they a) float without extensive pumping and b) can move under their own power.

Those meeting the 2 criteria *may* be worth something to a person with reasonable DIY skills. Anything else is worth the value of selling components on eBay minus the cost of disposing of the hull, if it's ferro or really shitty design/construction steel.

FKT

1 hour ago, Windward said:

Not to rain on the party, but is the helm actually offset?  

No, the transom is. 

• Like 1

The dugout is back, this time with fresh varnish or something... Fabulous dugout canoe - boats - by owner

only 1400 bucks and no word on if it is fit to paddle or just falls over in the water.

Note the bull rail bow and stern detail, this is authentic...

The Spirit Gallery should buy that and put it in front of their store - it's only a couple of blocks away.

6 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

only 1400 bucks and no word on if it is fit to paddle or just falls over in the water.

It weighs 260 lbs.

It's only 12 feet long.

It might carry a person, but the person couldn't carry it.

I think it would sit awfully low in the water if you were bold enough to get aboard. I'd give it a shot in warm water after checking pockets for things that shouldn't get wet.

On 2/6/2019 at 9:19 AM, Diarmuid said:

Dragons have no freeboard! That's sort of baked-in to the design.  It's a freaking submarine before you start adding superstructure.

Pedro_everyone_WEB.jpg?ext=.jpg

Bluebottle.jpg

You have to wonder about a mind that says, "Let's  take one of the wettest, lowest-riding sailboats in history & bodge it into a pilothouse cruiser. Oh noes -- better add some bulwarks!"

Being close to the water makes those 4 raging knots seem mind-blowingly fast.  

Actually I really enjoy racing Dragons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Contumacious Tom said:

It weighs 260 lbs.

It's only 12 feet long.

It might carry a person, but the person couldn't carry it.

I think it would sit awfully low in the water if you were bold enough to get aboard. I'd give it a shot in warm water after checking pockets for things that shouldn't get wet.

It also looks like that it has not had the gunnels steamed to widen it.   As stated before, it is a carved log shape, its going to roll like a log.

I have paddled a log canoe before, with widened gunnels.   It still rolls in an instant.

- Stumbling

10 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

The dugout is back, this time with fresh varnish or something... Fabulous dugout canoe - boats - by owner

Note the bull rail bow and stern detail, this is authentic...

This is only good for a primitive cooler trough for icing the end of day beers down.

- Stumbling

More gold from down south.

The franken dragon gave so much........

For your viewing mocking pleasure......I offer you FREE........unbelievable.......yes......

He is honest about it requiring work

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/strathpine/sail-boats/35ft-yacht-free/1209653901

35ft yacht Free

Free
strathpine
Still available, please be aware it will need a lot of work. No engine, No sail gear. No mast.

A 35ft concrete hull yacht, has no engine. Mast has been dropped and removed . Requires a lot of work.

I’m listing this for my father, he is not able to do anything with it anymore. Yacht is located in cabbage tree creek.
If you’re serious about taking it then message me and I can pass contact details on to you. It is a take it away or make your own arrangements with mooring it deal though. Yacht is available as is.

Please don’t message me asking questions, I have no idea about a lot of it.

Free 1.PNG

Free 2.PNG

Regarding the dugout, it's possible it was a larger, crappier version of Paddle to the Sea that someone forgot to put back in the water. (Warning: Important Canadian cultural artifact follows):

2 hours ago, furr_ball said:

For your viewing mocking pleasure......I offer you FREE........unbelievable.......yes......

That's just a sad Zombie. The panoramic view of the clutter was disorienting. The bow pulpit appears serviceable, can't believe it wasn't scavenged when the rest was stripped.

4 hours ago, furr_ball said:

More gold from down south.

The franken dragon gave so much........

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/strathpine/sail-boats/35ft-yacht-free/1209653901

35ft yacht Free

Free
strathpine
Still available, please be aware it will need a lot of work. No engine, No sail gear. No mast.

A 35ft concrete hull yacht, has no engine. Mast has been dropped and removed . Requires a lot of work.

I’m listing this for my father, he is not able to do anything with it anymore. Yacht is located in cabbage tree creek.
If you’re serious about taking it then message me and I can pass contact details on to you. It is a take it away or make your own arrangements with mooring it deal though. Yacht is available as is.

Please don’t message me asking questions, I have no idea about a lot of it.

Free 1.PNG

Free 2.PNG

I admire two things: that someone at one time thought they could do something with this, and that someone is deluded enough to say to themselves "you know what will sell this bad boy?  A panoramic shot that really highlights the challenge!"

Sometimes even an old naked whore gets a shot.